Author Topic: Going on holiday.... Cats at home / Catteries?  (Read 10849 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Going on holiday.... Cats at home / Catteries?
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 15:05:05 PM »
Ah this old chestnut. I can be all blase about it now as I've already gone thru the holiday separation this year and have fab neighbours who cat sit for our three, 2 visits a day.  Have to say I'm sure ours prefer home to cattery. 2 of them had to go to cattery for 4 days last year when major work carried out on house (Tom's deaf so he stayed at home). They looked miserable and scared when I collected them and it's a good cattery. Depends on the cat I'm sure.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 15:06:43 PM »
See I'm going to have to move to Islington (could someone make flats there a bit cheaper please!!  :sick:) as here in SE London there's 1 catsitter who is ok but mostly they are only ok for well cats where you just plonk down some food, spend a few mins checking things and leave.  We used to spend a fortune on a wonderful live-in sitter years ago, but she's retired. I worry constantly about what if we both have to go away for a family crisis, now that my little guy needs so much care. I'd also be neurotic leaving them overnight - don't ask me why it feels worse than all day!

I would say check out any catteries in advance and arrive unannounced if possible. I only used one once, it was FAB approved but the owners were going away when we were, leaving someone else in charge, which they didn't tell me. Think I've posted this before, but we had to come home early cos I was ill, and found both cats miserable, old wet food left out, beds and litter trays dirty and...no water even! They went mad when they got home and took a couple of days of TLC to recover. I complained but not sure anything ever came of it.
On the other hand, my cousin has used a cattery from when her little guy was a kitten so he's used to it. It's not FAB approved but she says the owner is a real cat lover and takes great care. That's either Herts or Bucks if anyone needs the details.

If you can keep them at home, I'm 100% sure they prefer it, unless your presence is their shield against some form of stress ie you are home and that helps them avoid next door's dog/kid.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »
I am lucky in that my mum lives on hand to pamper and deliver all required food , toys and attention. However , I have used a cattery twice when we all went away together  , and I have to say the boys were absolutely fine and dandy..........they had obviously been very well cared for , and they hade a two room pen with a bedroom and playroom , and a massive run too.

Now Beavis is on his own I dont think i would want him to go to the cattery on his own  - but when Oscar was alive they were fine.

Offline Moggy73

• Adult Cat
  • mum to Boris, Poosha and Chicken
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 02:20:03 AM »
ohhh i could never put my babies through the stress of a cattery , imagine their thoughts when you take them in there and leave them there and walk away, they must be so confused and upset they must think they've been abandoned !! oh the though of it .. i couldnt bare it ..  I guess im lucky i have a wonderful neighbour/friend who comes and feeds and pets them for me when i go away.
I know not everyone has the option to have someone sit for them, but i know the alternative of a cattery for me would mean cancelling my holiday !!
'one cat just leads to another'
    Earnest Hemingway

Offline anita

• Kitten
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 21:38:42 PM »
I would leave them in there own house the little one would be better in her own place....................your mum will go every day and leave enogh food so they will be fine..................how long are you away for............

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 23:31:48 PM »
I would never dream of using a cattery and think the cats are far happier with familar things & smells - sorry but I can't be persuaded otherwise. I know a cattery owner and she is lovely but I told her there is no way I could leave my cats in cages for a week to go on holiday - I would rather stay home.

I lean towards Mark's view altho the term "cages" is a little strong  :naughty:.  I'm sure most cats would prefer to stay at home if poss esp if it's only 3 days.  Our 3 had to go into cattery last year for 4 nights when major work carried out on house.  I don't care what cattery staff said they were obv unhappy when I came to collect them altho I'm quite sure they were well cared for and had plenty of space. Thankfully we have catsitting neighbours for hols.

Offline anita

• Kitten
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 15:28:12 PM »
never left mine in a cattery I have a wonderful neighbour she and her husband love my cats (they have none of there own)used to have on many years ago.............any way when we want to go any place they have my house key and look after them so well............my little one Lilly goes into there house and sits on the sofa with them in the afternoons............hope they never move away from us...............

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 07:06:35 AM »
That's nice  ;D

I think she goes above & beyond. I know she isn't past whipping toms in for the snip and putting them back  :evillaugh:
She also told local vets that they wouldn't be used if they carried on stocking Iams  :evillaugh:

I sent her some mail order choclits after we moved away  ;D

Willow will be in the best hands with Gill  :Luv2:

I can't remember the full Story but I remember Gill got a call from some idiots saying they had locked someone's cat in a garage and they would kill it unless they were given money. I can't remember exactly what she did but she foiled them  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:17:44 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 00:37:10 AM »
I even viewed a place in Lofting road before deciding to move out of London  :evillaugh:

Before I moved away, I sold my place in Mildmay and moved into OH's house in Hackney for 6 months - she even travelled there to feed our (at the time) 3 cats  ;D
I would trust her 100% with my cats  :Luv2: - she even coped with Clapton who is scared of his own shadow  :Luv2:

Hi Mark,

Just wanted to let you know I spoke to Gill last night, told her of your recommendation and she was completely choked! So touched I think you made her day  :briggin:

She is looking after Willow the weekend after Easter.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 18:32:50 PM »
If Jaffa hid under the bed whenever anyone came, the sitter would never see him and wouldn't be able to tell whether there was anything wrong....   I also worry that if a stranger came into their home, Jaffa would start to feel scared in his own home, and that might continue even when the sitter was no longer needed

This was also my worry, though I have now booked a cat sitter for my long weekend away next month. Willow hides under my bed when the doorbell goes and unless it's someone who has visited many times before she won't come out until they leave, I doubt the cat sitter will even see her. When I get home she is always waiting at the door for cuddles, unless she hears voices and knows someone is with me when she also hides. I dread to think what her reaction will be if she thinks it's me and in walks a stranger! Plus there's the grooming issue of long hairs, if I am away for a week and she hides from the sitter she will be full of mats by the time I get back... argh it's just so difficult <sigh>

Offline Girlies

• Kitten
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 17:59:09 PM »
Oh my god look at all the replies!

I did type this last night but for some reason it dind't post! (Me and computers :Crazy:)!!

I think i typed something along the lines of not wanting to get anyones backs up especially those who dont agree with catteries but from my own experience of the cattery we have used in the past is just brilliant.

Our cats live the life of luxury by having the heating on all day, i used to even leave the telly on but that got a bit silly as the electric was going rather quickly!

Our 2 options are:

Mu mum coming in once a day for up to an hour to feed them (Which is fine for the older cat as she is a bit podgy but the kitten is a hungry little thing and i just can't have her only having 1 meal a day) and they are both quite shy little things (They are house cats)

The cattery on the other hand has HUGE chalets for them with various toys, blankets, beds etc (The downside is the cost but they are worth it)

I have seen a few people have said that how can the cattery give the cats the attention they deserve well the cattery i go the man lives on site and is always with them not just to feed, water them but he takes time out of his day to play and spend time with them AND what i like is that he plays them radio 2 which gives them a background sound

The only reason i was umming and r'ing was that the kitten hasn't ever been in a cattery before so i wasn't too sure what to do but i have now booked their 'hotel room' and i'm sure they will be fine.

I dont know where any of you are based especially the people who are interested in looking at catteries for their cats and live near Jct.1,2,3,4 of the M25 let me know and i will happily give you his details x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 13:19:11 PM »
I started a cat-sitting service towards the end of last year alongside my cat grooming business as several customers had asked me about doing it. I can see both sides though, as even though I do this cat sitting, what I've always wanted to do is open a boarding cattery! Mind you, my cattery would be small so I had plenty of time to spend with each cat, it would be cosy and cats would have plenty of space, (tv's in every room, en suite etc etc LOL!  ;) )

When I'm cat-sitting I usually go twice a day, do all the usual things - top up food/water bowls, clean litter trays etc, but I also spend time with the cat or cats, either just sitting and reading if the cats are a bit nervous to start with, or playing with them etc. I think if you find the right cat sitter, it can be a good solution - definitely ask for references, but hopefully a good cat sitter will present you with references without you asking, get the sitter to come round before you go away, to meet the cats and you see your cats reaction to him/her.

On the other hand a good cattery will provide all the usual things plus hopefully plenty of TLC too -

sorry, not much help really! just my thoughts!

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »
We are very lucky in that my OH mum literally lives in our house whilst we are away. She follows our little instructions to the letter  (including the one where Chutney has to be fed on the stairs so Mango cannot nick her food!) and always plays with them etc. :)

I think I would use a cattery if we were to move, just for those last days when everything is being moved from the house and there are los of people around. But otherwise I would always ask her to do it. I have not looked to see which catteries are available around my area, so would have to have a look-see first before shipping them off so to speak!!

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 11:43:17 AM »
As much as I would prefer leaving my cat at home, if I can't get a family member or very close friend to come and stay I am going to have to find a good cattery for him later this summer (for 6 days). I will ask my vet for recommendations, and obviously go and see a few catterys first.
I am sure there are excellent and trustworthy catsitters out there, but I would feel uncomfortable handing over my housekeys to somebody I don't know. Infact there is no way I would do it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:59:20 AM by jamesonsmum »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
Also when someone is looking after 50+ cats, how much attention can they really give? -

Well that depends on how many staff they have!  I do think you've probably seen some poor catteries, Mark, but they do vary a lot.  There are some very poor ones, but also some excellent ones.  I'm not saying catteries are always ideal, but i think it's stressful for cats when their owners are away, no matter what.  When I return to collect my boys from their cattery, the conversation I have with the owner, manager and staff indicates that they've spent a lot of time interacting with and observing my boys.  They wouldn't be able to tell me how they've been in such detail if they hadn't.  They spend every morning cleaning out the pens, which means there are various members of staff in the area for several hours.  Then in the afternoon (when I usually collect them - you aren't allowed to go into the pens to collect or settle in during the morning because the staff are busy with cleaning) there are always lots of staff around, plus they have a shop located at the end of the pens.  They get more interaction than they would get with a sitter coming in twice a day.

Like I've said before, I think my cats would be worse off with a sitter.  If Jaffa hid under the bed whenever anyone came, the sitter would never see him and wouldn't be able to tell whether there was anything wrong.  They wouldn't be able to make sure he ate his meals either (if it was just left down for him, Mosi would probably scoff it).  In a cattery environment he gradually adapts and gets used to the people, and when I collect him they usually tell me he is starting to purr when they stroke him.  And I know they're safe with lots of doors between them and the outside (I'd be terrified a sitter would let them out by accident).  I also worry that if a stranger came into their home, Jaffa would start to feel scared in his own home, and that might continue even when the sitter was no longer needed - at least with the cattery it's a place he goes to and then he comes home where he feels safe.  He always settles down quickly when he comes home.  I just think that for my cats, a cattery is the lesser of 2 evils and whether a cattery or sitter is best depends on a lot of factors.  I wouldn't write off all catteries.   Of course, my boys would prefer it if I never went away at all! 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »
I still think as long as you can trust someone 100% - feeding at ome is definately the lesser of the evils. A cattery is no better guarantee of care. Most have outside runs with a heated bed so not ideal for pampered cats (like mine) who are used to cosy beds and all the heating left on 24/7  :evillaugh: - Also when someone is looking after 50+ cats, how much attention can they really give? - a bowl of food twice a day is probably the only attention most get and I'm sure they must get stressed smelling, hearing and seeing other cats around them. I remember someone posting on here recently that they got back from holiday 2 days early for some reason and went straight to the cattery. Their cats had crusty bowls of wet food and no toys  >:(

I just can't be persuaded that catteries are good for anything other than emergencies.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 09:41:52 AM »
We had this dilema around this time last year, there was no way that we were going to put Jess in a cattery he would have hated it, I didn't want him to think he was going back to rescue.

We contacted 2 cat sitters via the internet and neither turned up for introduction appointments! I know not everyone is the same but I'd be weary again of having to find someone. Futher searching gave me a website for a lovely lady who had trained as a VN and started up a pet sitting business. She came over and was lovely had references etc and was very professional, Jess took to her straight away which was most strange as he is funny with strangers. So we used her for 3 days when we were visiting my MIL. My parents also came into visit Jess in the evenings.

When we went on our annual holiday we ended up being away from home for 17 nights (due to a 30 hour delay coming home) Katie came in twice a day and spent time with Jess, my Dad also came in every night and sat and watched telly with him but despite this the vet thinks this is what triggered his stress and cysitis - which is another reason we took on Milo.

A cat sitter has worked out brilliantly for us, Katie is brilliant and we use her anytime we're leaving the house over night, personally I think she undercharges and I've told her this. When she goes into the boys she always texts me to let me know how they are, they adore her, she even brought Jess a christmas present and a present back for her holiday. She adores them as much as they adore her (they sit in the window looking for her when we get home)

If anyone is in Essex and wants her details please contact me,

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 21:58:00 PM »
there is a pet sitting service near me called pet pals, who will walk dogs, feed cats, guinea pigs, hamsters and the rest. and as also trained to give meds. I've see their van on my estate a few times and obviously they can then stay at home.

I haven't looked into prices as i've had freinds volunteer to look after the furbabes this year but i would need them to care for a hamster, two cats and three guinea pigs :P
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 21:55:19 PM »
Trying out new cat sitters, I think Cat Chat recommended them, but can't remember. Cat Care London. Lady lives in Islington and has people on her staff (about 6 of them) who work in North London. I have them coming round when I go away for work, I can't bear thinking about putting Lexy in a cattery. If she was a lively chirpy cat probably wouldn't have a problem with it, but as timid as she can be, like Clapton, scared of her own shadow, she has to stay home where she knows the lay of the land.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 21:52:45 PM »
may be ok for some, and especially if it is to the same destination each year, but not something I could consider, simply because of the logistics

Offline FrankNTessa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 21:51:20 PM »
Or do you take your cat on holiday with you? My in-laws have a holiday home in Scotland and they take their cat with them for 4 weeks at a time and she doesn't seem to mind.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 21:46:39 PM »
definitely depends on the cat. Many of mine have thrived at a cattery, Ralfie, on the other hand, refused to come out of his travel box, let alone engage, and spent three miserable weeks refusing most food, staring into the corner, and hiding from all comers. He picked up immediately when I collected him and took him home, despite the fact that he was not my cat and had only known me socially before ...

Nowadays I keep mine indoors with a carer coming in. But depending on where you live, sometimes you can organise someone to live-in so they have the same routine as usual (albeit different television shows ...)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 20:56:43 PM »
I think it does depend on a cats personality. My previous cat hated catteries and used to come back depressed so we used to get a pet sitter to come in and feed him. He was much happier doing this. The lady that came in used to write a report every day which was good to read when we returned.

My present cat Archie does not go out at night so a pet sitter would be a problem. He went to a cattery last summer and was fine with it.

I think its a case of trial and error, best of luck :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 18:29:14 PM »
Maybe a lot does depend on the cat's personality. Clapton is terrified of strangers so a cattery would scare the life out of him  :(

At least when Gill came round, he could hide and eat when she left  :evillaugh:

I think I remember her saying he allowed her to pet him which is most odd but they know cat-lovers  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 18:35:15 PM by Mark »

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 18:23:05 PM »
I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and there's no getting away from the fact that either will be stressful.  There are good catteries, and if you think you may have to leave them in a cattery at some point it's worth getting them used to it when they're young.  Mosi has a ball at the cattery as he loves the attention he gets.  Someone popping in once a day wouldn't be enough for him and he's very outgoing and sociable, so isn't terribly stressed at the cattery.  Not once he's got used to it at least.  The staff spend a lot of time playing with him.  Jaffa is more stressed, but then again he'd be stressed if a stranger came in to feed him too.  I know they are safe at the cattery and that there is always someone there keeping an eye on them.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 18:22:44 PM »
If it is for a few days and your mum can make the daily visit, I think your babies would be happier and in better peace left at home, in their familiar ground.  They can look after themselves better than you may think, if they get bored they usually just go to sleep.  Perhaps leaving them a used T shirt or towel or something with your scent for them to curl up on would be a nice idea. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 18:22:07 PM »
I even viewed a place in Lofting road before deciding to move out of London  :evillaugh:

Before I moved away, I sold my place in Mildmay and moved into OH's house in Hackney for 6 months - she even travelled there to feed our (at the time) 3 cats  ;D
I would trust her 100% with my cats  :Luv2: - she even coped with Clapton who is scared of his own shadow  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 18:24:23 PM by Mark »

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 18:15:10 PM »
LOL Mark, Gill Stampe is the neighbour I refered to. I have known her about 18 years!
Small world  :briggin:

Well I guess that's that problem solved :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 18:17:14 PM by puffball »

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 18:10:32 PM »
Puffball - my friend uses a cattery in Hornsey called Dragon Vet, it's a cattery with in-house vet. The owner also has a vet practice in Highgate, and this is where my friend knows him from. She says it's a very nice place for a city kennel - bright, airy, nice plants, lots of toys and scratching posts. They look after the cats very well, let them out for playtime etc. Her cat has been there now on 3-4 different occassions, so the staff now know him personally. She always leaves his own toys and blankets, so he can still smell ''home'', and seems fine.

While I would rather my cat stay at home whenever possible, if I do find a good cattery (preferably recommended from my vet/friends) I will consider booking him in. This would probably only happen once a year, if that.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 18:05:25 PM »
Realistically, how much time will cattery staff spend with each cat daily?  I'm not convinced that it would be enough time for me to balance the loneliness and unfamiliarity.  Personally I always make arrangements for someone to feed my furries at home while I'm away...or I don't go away  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 18:03:51 PM »
This is also a dilema for me and has caused much concern. I have a neighbour that runs a cat sitting service and would come in once or twice a day but I would worry poor kitty was lonely, especially being left overnight as she always sleeps near me... is that just me putting human emotions on a cat?

The cattery alternative is awkward as I have only heard bad reviews of my local cattery and the nearest FAB approved one is just outside the M25 when I live in central London. I don't mind the travel and Willow loves her carrier but she hates the car and it's quite a drive for her. Also, all the FAB listed ones have outdoor runs but she is a timid indoor cat, would she find it too stressful?

It's a heartrending decision as I so want to do what's best for her, if anyone has any advice on this it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone can recommend a good cattery in London please let me know (I live in islington)  :thanks:

I lived in Islington and Gill stampe used to come round and feed the cats twice a day. I cooked and froze loads of fish in snappy bags and she would take a bag out of the freezer each morning to put in the fridge ready for the evening - that was on top of all the other food etc, watering plants, moving mail, closing curtains etc. She is highly respected and does voluntary cat work as well. I would trust her completely and wish she would travel to Whitstable  :evillaugh:

As you can see, she is on the Islington council website  ;D

Just re-read your post. Is Gill your neighbour? - honestly, when I was away for a week, kylie didn't miss me at all  :evillaugh:

http://www.islington.gov.uk/directories/page.aspx?dir=LTCS&dir_name=LTCS&docid=0901336c805a5017
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 18:12:16 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 18:00:52 PM »
I would never dream of using a cattery and think the cats are far happier with familar things & smells - sorry but I can't be persuaded otherwise. I know a cattery owner and she is lovely but I told her there is no way I could leave my cats in cages for a week to go on holiday - I would rather stay home.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 17:58:40 PM »
This is also a dilema for me and has caused much concern. I have a neighbour that runs a cat sitting service and would come in once or twice a day but I would worry poor kitty was lonely, especially being left overnight as she always sleeps near me... is that just me putting human emotions on a cat?

The cattery alternative is awkward as I have only heard bad reviews of my local cattery and the nearest FAB approved one is just outside the M25 when I live in central London. I don't mind the travel and Willow loves her carrier but she hates the car and it's quite a drive for her. Also, all the FAB listed ones have outdoor runs but she is a timid indoor cat, would she find it too stressful?

It's a heartrending decision as I so want to do what's best for her, if anyone has any advice on this it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone can recommend a good cattery in London please let me know (I live in islington)  :thanks:

Offline Girlies

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 17:44:51 PM »
From my experience with Muppet (Older Cat) she gets on really well with the cattery owner who has LOADS of toys, beds, blankets etc, etc available in her little (Its rather big as it goes) chalet and he plays them radio 2 all day so when he isn't about there is a background noise for them which i think is really sweet!

Oh dear i think i may have just answered my own question here haven't I!!  :wow: Oh well never mind it'll be good to get other peoples opinions on it also!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 17:38:31 PM »
This is something I have been thinking of too. It is our first year with a cat, and unless we can get a family member staying while we're away, we are going to have to book him into a cattery. I would prefer him staying at home, but appreciate if that isn't possible, he'll still be safe and well looked after for in a cattery. Plus he will get lots of attention there (I would hope!).
I don't like the thought of putting him into his carrier taking him there though, and then leaving him. He thinks the cat carrier and car journey are very distressing.
A friend of mine leaves her persian at their local cattery when they go away for more than 3 days and she says they are wonderful and look after him really well. I still wonder how Jameson would react to new surroundings, smells and noises. But maybe they adapt pretty quick?

Offline Girlies

• Kitten
Going on holiday.... Cats at home / Catteries?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 17:29:50 PM »
Hello.

We are going away for a few days at the begining of March and we have 2 options open to us - They are:

Leave the cats at home (They are house cats) and my mum will come in each day to feed them but can only make it once a day so only dinner and crunchies will be available

Or

Put them in a cattery - Luckily we have a fabulous cattery who we have left our older cat with i think 3 or 4 times now but the kitten who is still 5/6 months has never been in one before

What would you guys suggest?

I am worried about leaving them on their own as i would worry they will be lonely etc

:thanks:

Link to CatChat