Author Topic: Has this cat been abandoned?  (Read 11542 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Has this cat been abandoned?
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »
My neighbour used to have a cat like that, and I knew she was a fussy eater, so I would take some of what she had just eaten round with her (so if she didn't eat any more, he knew she had eaten something) and she never ate it at her own house, but would happily pinch it at mine!!. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2008, 11:33:12 AM »
I do not deliberately feed the neighbours cats but I do know that they come in overnight and take my cats food - it would appear that it tastes better when it comes off somebody elses plate
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
For those of you who feed cats who you know have an owner, please do let the owner know, I know how frustrating it is to deal with weight issues when you know other people are feeding your cat (and dealing with the vet telling you yet again your cat is overweight, fortunatley I think they believed me when I said it was the neighbours, as they also told my neighbours their animals were overweight!!) - sadly, my neighbours are the kind to ignore your requests (they have helped another neighbours cat get overweight and ignore their requests not to feed their cat too). You also have to take into account the cat could have a health prob - if you suspect a cat is thin due to illness, do have a word with the owner, I did that the other year, and it turned out they jsut assumed it was age, and it was a thyroid prob.
Please spay your cat

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 17:41:18 PM »
No idea - not seen love spoon.

Yer, Max and Kylie xxxxxx :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2008, 16:55:59 PM »
I like the bit when he says to the girl "Haven't you heard of lemsip?"  :evillaugh:

Is she the woman that was in "Love Soup"?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2008, 16:45:11 PM »
Altogether now ......... poor little bunny  :rofl:  That never fails to crack me up  :rofl:

I agree Mark, Max and Kylie are a pair of stunning black babes, they can be valentine dates  :Luv:  They're both bruisers by the sound of it too, so could be interesting  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 16:38:53 PM »
 :evillaugh:

That is great  :evillaugh: - I had seen it before but love it.

PS - I think Kylie & Max would make the perfect couple  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 16:40:13 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 16:31:43 PM »
Never heard of that one - Olbas oil's good.

Watch this and please laugh - I don't really mean it - you know we love you really Mark.

Mary  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYME7l7tXTk
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 16:32:14 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 16:30:20 PM »
Slippery
Elm
Bark

;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 16:25:16 PM »
I was thinking that too Clare - that joke I sent you when you was ill - I don't think I have it anymore.

Probably going to regret asking this, but what is SEB??
At least the cat has sense to run when it sees your Kylie  :evillaugh:

Not certain about the pills Mark - don't want to say it's ok and you have an overdose! Plenty of fresh hot lemon drinks with a bit of brandy helps me.  Some used cold tea bags or cucumber on your eyes or one of those cold masks that I have for my eyes is very good - pop it in fridge for 10 mins and it really relaxes your head and eyes.  I use it a lot for my hay fever.

Mary

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 16:23:20 PM »
Defo sounds like a case of man-flu  :shocked:

They say starve a fever, so if you're really not very hungry, it won't hurt not to eat for a bit.  I didn't eat for best part of 2 days with my tonsils last time around, and if you are hungry, just eat nibbly things so they don't make you feel more sick.

With the meds, just watch the paracetemol intake if you've run out of one and starting to take another.....

HOpe you feel better a bit later, and glad the furries are looking after you  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 16:04:57 PM »
Thanks guys - It's some type of flu bug. If one of the cats had the same symptoms, I would know what to do  :evillaugh:

I am still alternately going between having the shivers and feeling hot - not sweaty, just dry hot. Nausea, ears buzzing (horrible feeling), wobbly on my legs etc. OH advised staying in bed all day as long as I can drive to the station twice a day  :tired:

I spent the afternoon in the attic with Alice again so at least she got some company. She nearly gassed me at one point which didn't help the nausea  :sick:

One question - I have been taking Sudofed duo since yesterday but just went to take some more and there was only one left. I have found some lemsip cold & flu capsules - would it be OK to mix them?

Thanks for the advice but the idea of eggs makes me  :sick:

I really don't feel like going to the shops but I may have some ginger & lemon tea bags left over from the B&B.

There is a herbalist directly opposite me but I always end up in there for 1/2 hour and she really depresses me telling me all her woes - delinquent son etc. I'm just not strong enough to deal with her today   :evillaugh:

Maybe I should take some SEB?  :evillaugh:

OH, the chancer, Jeremy came into the garden for a snack his afternoon but sensibly ran when kylie came out after him her  :scared:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 16:23:26 PM by Mark »

Offline MillyMollyMandy

• Adult Cat
  • Lucky-Lou-always in my heart, now at The Bridge
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 15:52:29 PM »
Ginger's also really good for nausea - perhaps try some ginger tea or ginger beer (the fiery stuff always works for me).

Hope you feel better soon.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 13:35:39 PM »
Mark - we're gonna kill you or cure you between us chuck.  :evillaugh: :naughty: :rofl: :Luv2: :rofl: :hug:

:naughty: :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »
Yer, I've always presumed they are dairy but God knows what is classed as what these days where food is concerned.  I've heard about the flat lemonade too.  Mark - we're gonna kill you or cure you between us chuck.  :evillaugh: :naughty: :rofl: :Luv2: :rofl: :hug:

Mary

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
Do eggs count as dairy?  When I had food poisening years ago I was told to avoid anything dairy as its quite greasy?  Maybe that's more milk and butter.

A baked potato is my all-time cure for upset tums and feeling  :sick:.  Oh, and flat lemonade works for me too, though not sure why as  you'd think being acidic that would be bad  :Crazy:..............maybe I'm just weird  :shify:  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »
Yes, you are correct Mark - I think I like it so much cos my middle name is Alexandria!! My excuse to drink it anyway!!

Try some scrambled eggs - eggs are good for upset stomachs.  Once at work someone went out and bout me an egg custard and that did the trick - since then I have eggs and I've told lots of people and it works for them too.

It's not cos it's Valentine's day and you want some extra TLC from your man is it?  :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »
Anything like cho.colate, coffee etc makes me want to hurl at the moment. There is a bakers across the road and when I came back from dropping OH off at the station (really didn't feel like getting up) at 7am, I could smell the baking smell which I normally love but it made me want to throw up  :sick:

btw - Hot cho.c and brandy = Brandy Alexander? - I used to love it but had forgotten all about it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 11:42:38 AM by Mark »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Aw that's a shame - Smudge used to wack a few cats in the face as a warning but for some reason he loved Thomas.

Get well soon Mark - Hot chocolate with a double brandy in it works wonders!!   :hug:

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »
I didn't go outside much yesterday as I am ill but saw her from the kitchen window. She hasn't been around today so far. As long as she is being fed at home, I shouldn't encourage her as her sister was given a real beating by Kylie last summer and I don't want the same to happen to her  :(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »
They sure do know where they can be looked after.  Attached photo of Thomas (the ginger one) and my Smudge about 3 yrs ago.  Thomas lived 5 doors away but they had 5 other cats and he was always extremely thin and out in all weather so Smudge used to let him in (and me of course).  Unfortunatley he got Leukemia and had to go to Rainbow Bridge.

Easier said than done trying to be FIRM with them Mark.  They only have to look at me and that's it, they've won me over.

Mary

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:22:40 AM by maryas »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 08:56:33 AM »
Mark we have a local cat that comes into our every night and like you I know I should be harsh but haven't the heart to be - cats know kind cat lovers and accept it as your kind and wonderful aura has been read by the feline of the species and so it is now the way of the world, and so it shal be  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 19:19:47 PM »
I have another mouth to feed  :tired:

Now I know she has a home, I SHOULD try to be firm and say no but it's hard - she gives a little "woe is me" squeak when she sees me - she is as light as a feather. To look at her, you would think she is big but I think it's just that she is out in all weathers  :(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 18:42:05 PM »
Well done Mark - ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.  So I guess you are now their uncle Mark  :rofl: :naughty:

Mary

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 15:53:07 PM »
I feel a bit stupid but rather that than "hope for the best" I suppose  :shy:

Don't be daft hun, how bad would you feel if you'd ignored her and found out she had been abandoned and hungry?

Rather do too much than do too little  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 15:50:46 PM »
we should start calling you Sherlock  :evillaugh:

I feel a bit stupid but rather that than "hope for the best" I suppose  :shy:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 15:45:08 PM »
That would defo explain the 'split personality' of the original cat in question lol!

Seriously though, glad you've got to the bottom of this, we should start calling you Sherlock  :evillaugh:

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 15:06:12 PM »
maybe he's not getting the lion's share of the of the food on his own territory, so he's looking elsewhere.

cheeky begger!  :evillaugh:
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 14:58:00 PM »
Well "Jeremy" just came to see me again. Turned her nose up at biscuits and sat on my lap in the garden. So I think the twins theory is the answer. She is now munching the biscuits as I didn't give her a pouch. Well I was very convinced with the "Starving waif" trick  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 15:20:59 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 14:31:08 PM »
My neighbour, Jon ID'd the cat as "Jeremy" who isn't shy and has a similar-looking brother who is shy called Justin  :evillaugh:

He said they belong to a guitar teacher and maker round the corner called Neville and Neville's girlfriend named them. He said no way are they the type that would starve a cat and Jeremy is just a greedy bug.ger  :evillaugh: - I informed him that they are unlikely to be male so he is going to check  :evillaugh:

Apparently, they have another 3 cats. They aren't away as Jon has seen them around. Jon said the 2 cats always fight with each other and it got to the stage where they fought in his house so he locked the flap.

Anyway, now we know - I will keep an eye out.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 15:22:02 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 14:01:28 PM »
Just spoke to my neighbour. He said there are 2 torties - maybe explains why the personality change?
He said he was feeding one of them as he felt sorry for it but when he found out that she belonged to someone he knew. he stopped. I am taking a photo over for him to ID

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 13:52:17 PM »
She's a very pretty little girl, well done for looking out for her Mark  ;D

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 13:48:50 PM »
I seems very much like that, even if she weren't properly "abandoned" she does need a new, better family and home urgently.  Any caring owner would leave their cats wandering about for days hungry and frozen.  I hope she will be sorted soon!! :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
 :hug:xx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
She won't stay in the garden as kylie would attack her  :(

I just wonder if her owners are the type that just take off and leave the cats to fend?  >:(

I will get to the bottom of it. If it turns out she has been abandoned, I will ask Sharon if she can go on the list. I don't know what would happen in the meantime but we will sort something out  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:06:06 PM by Mark »

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 11:41:17 AM »
Yes Mark - You have to do what you think is best for this little lady -

If you dont feed her who would???? - If I saw strange a kitty hanging about - for a few days - then I would feed them also. I would not leave then to starve - I would also put something out for them to sleep in -

I have a empty bin in hte back garden - that would prop upagainst Pauls' car with a blanket in  - so they would be covered and out of the wind.

They cant go in the back garden as it is catproofed -

shifty has a home - but he loves a biscuit - that's just being neighbourly  :)

I know the cats who live by me - so a strange one would stick out. and yes he/she woud get fed by me - sorry but they would - my conscience wouldn't let me not feed them -

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »
More

PS - For the "do not feed" brigade, this cat was very hungry and not just scrounging  :shy:

I'm so pleased you've gained her trust  :Luv:  :Luv:  I am a culprit of feeding cats that turn up, I always leave food on the wall and always have done and it sounds to me as if this little one really needed it.  I hope she isn't abandoned, but if so, that you manage to find somewhere locally for her  :hug:

I can understand people having reasons for cats on meds or special diets not being fed by other people but this cat is always around and even if she belongs to someone, I doubt she is that well cared for - I know the difference between crafty and starving  :(

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 10:45:55 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 10:41:52 AM »
Theres plenty of room for another on that new sofa Mark :naughty:

Thanks but I'm already on my 2nd bottle of simple solution of the week  :-:

Willow decided the bedroom curtains needed a spritz  :tired:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
I do to - If I see Shifty - who lives @ no 27 - out come the biscuits.

I found a kitty last Feb  - it was cold so I took him in over night and slept in the spare room with him. he was a little darling

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
More

PS - For the "do not feed" brigade, this cat was very hungry and not just scrounging  :shy:

I'm so pleased you've gained her trust  :Luv:  :Luv:  I am a culprit of feeding cats that turn up, I always leave food on the wall and always have done and it sounds to me as if this little one really needed it.  I hope she isn't abandoned, but if so, that you manage to find somewhere locally for her  :hug:

Link to CatChat