Author Topic: Good quality foods - which ones have a lot of gravy?  (Read 11554 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Re: Good quality foods - which ones have a lot of gravy?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 21:00:40 PM »
Funnily enough the Tesco do a chicken pouch for 19p that is bursting with gravy. Not sure of its nutritional value though.
Archie has one now and then as he really likes the gravy ;D

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 20:48:14 PM »
I think the nutro pouches are good ;) And they have quite a bit of gravy

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 18:56:04 PM »
The Waitrose one is complimentary, its high meat or fish content with the additional bits they add. The have a fab tuna one Lexy looooves that and the chicken one. She won't eat the Mackerel one. Doesn't eat sardines, pilchards or mackerel.  :tired:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 18:52:55 PM »
I can't quite get my head around those ones which have cheese in them, I thought dairy was bad for cats  :Crazy:

What's the meat content of the waitrose ones, Ruth?  I've been shopping with Ocado so it would be a bit handy if those were fairly good!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 18:51:56 PM »
Nutro and Schmusy do chunks in gravy (the schmusy in pouches).  Not sure they have a terribly high meat content but it's higher than your felix/whiskas.  I think the schmusy is about 14% or something.  Not sure about the nutro but from what people say on US sites, I've always considered it about mid range in quality.

Cosma is technically in jelly but I've found (particularly with the lamb one) if you add a bit of water to it it forms a sort of gravy.  The chicken one seems to be more jellyish jelly, if you get my meaning!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 18:50:13 PM »
Blip sounds like Lexy. Give her chicken out of a dome she gobbles it up. Give her fresh cooked chicken she looks at you as if you're trying to poison her.  :tired:

I've tried raw chicken and she does like it, though it has to be treat food.

Perfect Fit: only about 14% of actual meat content to be honest.

What about Feline Fayre? I've found that high in meat content. Also the Waitrose own tins in the premium food section have higher meat content. Lexy likes those too. She has expensive tastes my cat!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 18:44:08 PM »
I did find the Perfect Fit pouches were really good, Lexy did like those.

I would love to try some of the organic ranges that Zooplus sells like Applaws. I've heard the cheesy ones are pretty good for wetness.

Does Blip like raw chicken at all Christine? Could you maybe make her some wet stewey type meals to compliment her Gourmet Pearl diet if she really does like it?

Is Perfect Fit a high-meat-content brand?

We havent tries Applaws, so Id be interested to hear if their stuff is gravified (my contribution to the English language  :evillaugh:).

I havent tried her on raw chicken.  She wont eat cooked chicken or chicken Almo Nature so I wouldnt be optimistic...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 18:36:23 PM »
I'm not sure Christine. Before Lexy got ill, she was on the Gourmet Pearl diet, and then she got Sheba domes which have loads of liquid. The Sheba pouches are also pretty good as they are pretty wet but I found that Lexy would lick all the gravy away and then slowly munch through the actual food over the whole day :sick: .

Unfortunately, the richness of these foods especially the fish varieties built up the stones in her bladder, because she's such a bad drinker (still won't touch her fountain though I thought she was) so now she's purely on RC prescription food.

I did find the Perfect Fit pouches were really good, Lexy did like those.

She does get the odd Sheba chicken dome.

I would love to try some of the organic ranges that Zooplus sells like Applaws. I've heard the cheesy ones are pretty good for wetness.

Does Blip like raw chicken at all Christine? Could you maybe make her some wet stewey type meals to compliment her Gourmet Pearl diet if she really does like it?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 18:37:57 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Good quality foods - which ones have a lot of gravy?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 18:00:22 PM »
That is a very specific question, I know.  I was just reading Susannes response to someone on CatChat about buying foods from ZooPlus, which I havent used before so I thought I might try it.

My issue is that Blip only likes wet - as in sloppy - food.  So she likes the Gourmet Pearl Country Style as it has a lot of gravy but I am keen to get her eating predominantly better food.

She already eats Almo Nature tuna or tuna with cheese and I can get her to eat Natures Menu for a few days at a time.  But watching her, I know how much she likes foods with a lot of gravy: do any of the better brands fit the bill?

She is pretty sniffy about Hi Life, by the way; she only really likes the tuna variety.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Link to CatChat