Author Topic: Good quality foods - which ones have a lot of gravy?  (Read 11562 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Good quality foods - which ones have a lot of gravy?
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2008, 15:38:17 PM »
Well done, Pav.

And - insert short fanfare here - I tried the "mixing *warm water into Natures Menu to make a sloppy stew" trick today for the first time.  Blip licked her bowl clean  :wow:

Another thought is that it made the meat go further, so good for cats like Blip who like a lot of meals.

* by warm, I mean boiled water that had cooled, not water from the hot tap, obviously.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2008, 14:09:59 PM »
Thank you every one, just got back from Willsden pet shop and they sell them in there, so i got all 4 flavours and they do Applaws aswell so i got that too. Now have to see if Boy and Pheobe likes them!  :thanks:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 13:41:26 PM »
Thanks Desley, not sure Boy likes Tune, Salmon but Phoebe would so  get all the flavours in and try.

Even the tuna and salmon one is still about 40% chicken with smaller proportions of the fish so he may be ok with it.

You can also buy NM online, I have seen links direct from the NM website I think, I've also bought it from gjwtitmuss before - works out a bit more expensive by the time you've added postage but I was buying wild bird bits at the same time so didn't mind.  I'd rather give them my money than PAH!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 10:55:08 AM »
I'm going to pop round later if my sister is home so if you want we can go together. Will give you a shout soon as I know she's going to be home! You know what she's like.

Christine, is Blip doing better with more wet food?

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
Thanks Desley, not sure Boy likes Tune, Salmon but Phoebe would so  get all the flavours in and try.

Ruth thankyou so much , i will go to the pet shop in willsden today to see if they have any or can order some so i can buy them weekly, my problem is storage , i am using the car to keep all the foods and litter and... in but its too cold and when i bring the foods in they are so hard  :rofl: But if the pet shop dont do it then yes please i will ask you to get them in bulk. :thanks: :thanks: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »
Pav am going to PAH next Saturday for litter etc, they have loads of Nature's Menu. If you get some from Christine, and Boy likes it let me know and I'll buy some bulk for you then, or you can pop over with me if you like.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2008, 10:37:50 AM »
Pav, it comes in three flavours, chicken and turkey, beef and heart, and chicken, salmon and tuna. Zi isn't keen on the latter, but Molly is.
Thanks Susanne - I will keep buying it, as they wolfed it like it was the best thing ever, they will prob only get it every now and then, partly due to the price, partly cos I find it awkward to get to Tesco!! Might go after payday and stock up (not that they need any more food, they have about 5 boxes to get through, but do like them to have a variety!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2008, 20:46:33 PM »
I have tried the TEsco food, the lamb one looked awful to me (lots of congealed fat), but the girls wolfed it and asked for more (they shared a tray in case they dind't like it!!)
Mine like the Tesco one  ;D  The fat only congeals because it's animal fat (which it should be for cats) which solidifies at room temperature.  Sounds and looks a bit yuk but I'd rather have that than vegetable oil.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 20:45:41 PM »
Thanks Desley.. ..when i read about Natures Menu i thought might be more tasty for Boy since he is not eating D/D or i/d one .

I will ask the pet shop i am sure they can order some , ae there many different flavours?

Pav, PM me your address.  I am buying some Nature's Menu tomorrow and I will post you a couple of sachets for BOY to try.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 20:37:42 PM »
Thanks Desley. The tesco one doesnt sound healthy , when i read about Natures Menu i thought might be more tasty for Boy since he is not eating D/D or i/d one .

I will ask the pet shop i am sure they can order some , ae there many different flavours?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 19:28:21 PM »
The pet shop might be able to order it for you PAv. I have tried the TEsco food, the lamb one looked awful to me (lots of congealed fat), but the girls wolfed it and asked for more (they shared a tray in case they dind't like it!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 18:18:00 PM »
Da Bird flies swoops and drives cats plain crazy!
The feathers are on a long thin line and you swish it about to make it fly  ;D

I would shut one away if problems may occur

Offline Girlies

• Kitten
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 17:58:34 PM »
Thank you for the info Millys Mum - I have just looked at the Purrs shop and i'm sure i will be buying a 'da bird'  :wow: But how does it work??? Does it fly?? Only other problem would be that if Muppet (Adult) is playing Dotty (Kitten) will join in and Muppet then isn't interested anymore!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2008, 17:46:42 PM »
 :welcome: girlies

The most important thing to remember is to introduce any new food slowly, as premium brands tend to be on the richer side.

I would change their biscuits to a better quality one and make the adult cat chase her dry food instead of snacking from a bowl, hopefully it would help her tone up  :evillaugh:
Purrs shop also has a great toy called Da Bird, no cat has yet resisted flinging themselves after it, even the seniors in their late teens  :Luv2:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2008, 17:35:56 PM »
  :thanks: Mark. Then its no to Tesco. Boy doesnt like pate. :)

Offline Girlies

• Kitten
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 17:35:26 PM »
I only joined this forum yesterday and i have learnt so much so far just from reading all of the different subjects etc - This one caught my eye last night and its got me thinking....

Our girls are both on Felix - The adult cat will only have the fish vareity in the foil trays and the kitten has the variety kitten felix but also eats the adult food! They also get Go-Cat crunchies.

They are both house cats and thats about it really.

BUT! When i went shopping today i looked on the side of the pack and i'm really shocked to see that there is only a minimum of about 8% meat in each meal for them!

I am now looking at different foods (Must say the adult cat is overweight so will have to be lo cal)

Can anyone give me any advice please?

Many Thanks
Michelle x
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 17:37:02 PM by Girlies »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008, 17:25:41 PM »
The Tesco one is a heavy, solid pate with rice. There is no gravy. It is very high meat content but mine hated it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2008, 16:46:40 PM »
Pav, I'll send you a pouch of each flavour if you like?
Thanks Desley, today i tried two pet shop and they didnt have any!! I asked my neighbour to check Tesco and she said they have onlt tesco brand called Just Nature, is that any good?I told her not to get me till i check with peeps here first?
Desley there is two more pet shop which i am going to try tomorrow and see if they can order some cos they are local, but even if you send some for me and i cant find it any where then its no point, there are no PAH close to where i live .
Thankyou for the offer.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
Cody is a dry food lover so gets his hills light, he used to like one of those hi life petit pate tins each night but got to the stage where he was looking for it but only licking the sauce stuff so i stopped them and he started then getting the scrapings of jelly from the big boys felix tins which he now looks for, only has about a tea to desert spoon per night but he looks for it you see and you can buy gravy only for dogs but never seen jelly only for cats lol.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
hehe i've got a gravy-licker and jelly-muncher too lynn, don't know how they go back to eat the dry lumps  :sick:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »
I wish i could buy cat food "jelly only" for the codster  :tired:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 09:39:44 AM »
I wish Kiki would eat Natures Menu  :doh: Nina loves it and that was all she had when we first got her but when Kiki came we had to change because Kiki won't touch it. She won't touch anything of that sort of consistency only chunks in gravy/jelly, sheba domes and the gourmet pearl in the spangly little tins. Like Lexy she won't touch fresh chicken either. The warm water mixed in could be a good idea though, might get a few single pouches and give it a go...

Nina on the other hand will eat anything and everything  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 07:37:38 AM »
Pav, I'll send you a pouch of each flavour if you like?
Please spay your cat

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 16:39:19 PM »
My local petshop will order it in for me - I coudn't find anywhere really close that kept it in stock but they get it within a week.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 16:37:21 PM »
Tesco used to sell natures menu, but I'm not sure whether they've discontinued it now.  You can get it at Pets at Home and lots of small pet shops sell individual pouches.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 16:33:29 PM »
Which super maket sells the Natures Menu? Or do i have to get it from the vets?

I like to try it for Boy.   :thanks:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 16:12:53 PM »
Just been reminded today of another food in gravy - M&S luxury poultry selection are in gravy.  There are 2 flavours - chicken with vegetables and turkey with duck.  Both are about 50% meat and in gravy  ;D  They are sold in individual tins (about 60p) or in packs of 4 (works out a bit cheaper I think).  The 4 packs are currently on offer - buy one get a second 1/2 price.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 14:47:56 PM »
Yes of course - great advice. Thank you!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 14:29:05 PM »
Just to err on side of caution. I found when I tried it that its best to slowly blend the higher meat content foods with the not so high content foods for a few days, gradually until they are only on the higher meat content. Some cats, not all, develop runny bellies if you switch to a higher concentration of meat for a few days so best to gradually ease Jameson onto the Hi Life or Natures Menu or the like while you still have pouches of the old food.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 14:00:18 PM »
Great information, I don't know on what website I read about the Opticat food, but I clearly remember it saying it contained all nutrition a cat needs. And as a first time cat-owner I assumed it was fine. However, when the Opticat pouches are finished I will try Hi Life. I saw them in Asda for a good price. It will have to be in gravy though because I always mix it with water for Jameson.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 21:11:26 PM »
Interesting - thanks Mark!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 18:37:34 PM »
Has anyone tried the Hills Adult chunks in gravy?  Has that got a good meat content?  I'm also interested hearing the views in this thread as a friend of mine also has a gravy loving cat which she's trying to get off whiskas onto a better quality food. 

I was looking at a box the other day as it is on offer at our local garden centre. The chicken flavour was something like 24% meat but there other flavours were only 4% - Tesco own brand is 8% and a fraction of the price  ;Djavascript:void(0);
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 18:48:26 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 18:31:39 PM »
Ruth,  :thanks:, I have today sought out the Waitrose tins and have bought three to try.

Lottie and Dolcetta, what a good idea!  I shall try some warm water in the Natures Menu and see how we go.  Why didnt I think of that?  :Crazy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 18:03:43 PM »
opticat doesn't have a high meat content - the only one of the 'foreign' supermarkets that does is Aldi's food, think it is called Vitacat - but only the tins (between 12 and 20%).
Please spay your cat

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 16:17:41 PM »
We still have some left over patè version of tinned food which Oliver had gone off for good.  Noticing that he also prefers "saucy" food I realized the patè was too solid.  So when we cooked some beef in the pressure cooker the other day we saved the broth for him and mixed it into the patè, finely chopped up.  First he licked clean all the broth and I thought oh daggamn to blast what a poo head! >:(  But then after about 10minutes he came back and finished it all off.  This tactics seems to work and perhaps we can finally finish off those patè tins :innocent:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 16:16:54 PM »
We give Jameson Opticat pouches with gravy and we get them from Lidl. These pouches are amazingly 'gravey-ey'! Now before anyone jump to conclusions (Lidl has a reputation for being pikey - although I completely disagree with that) - I read up about it online, Opticat is a German brand and contains all nutrition a cat needs.
Jameson loves those pouches, and they are good to mix with water (he doesn't drink water so I always mix water in his wet food).
You get 4 pouches for 60p so it is also good value. They also do dry food (Coshida) that we give him.

A lot of people won't step inside Lidl, but maybe cos I'm Swedish I'm used to German food and not fazed by it, I am always amazed at the great value (reading the ingredients on some packets might be confusing for anyone that is not familiar with the language though).
They also do dental sticks for cats that he loves.
We got his food bowls from Lidl too, and a scratching post (that he was way too rough with so we had to buy a more robust one - from Argos!)
They do great deals there and most recently I've seen they sell cat carriers and other pet accessories.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 16:21:45 PM by jamesonsmum »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 16:13:06 PM »
Just a thought Christine but could Blip be 'conned' by adding some hot water to Natures Menu to make it sloppy and gravy like?

You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 16:09:51 PM »
I got a few of the Hills sachets when they came out but wasn't impressed at all. I stick to Hi-Life and Natures menu for pouches now.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 16:00:27 PM »
Has anyone tried the Hills Adult chunks in gravy?  Has that got a good meat content?  I'm also interested hearing the views in this thread as a friend of mine also has a gravy loving cat which she's trying to get off whiskas onto a better quality food. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 22:19:46 PM »
Perfect Fit is around 14% - and not all varities are in gravy, the active one is, but the indoor is in jelly (Can't remember the senior one, suspect it is in jelly) - and all varieties only have 2 flavours in each box - I personally would prefer better ingredients but Molly has it for the fibre content. Feline Fayre is complimentary, although I think their 3 small tins are complete, think there is only the 3 small tins that aren't fish though (and mine dont like their non fish flavour - chicken and ham).
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat