Author Topic: Garfield Photo Fix & Progress  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Garfield Photo Fix & Progress
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 17:10:25 PM »
What a lovely fella!  :Luv: :Luv:  Sounds like he's making your place home and settling in well.  His prospective girlfriend is a beauty too!  They will make a lovley couple!  ;D  Fingers crossed they get on ok.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »
If you do research, there are a lot of articles that say dry doesn't do anything for their teeth - Susanne has posted a lot on her, so if you do a search for dry food/teeth, it should show some of them up. Mainly dry diets also contribute to obesity more than mainly wet. I would definitely say to find a balance that works, I have had to try and make cats lose kilo's and it isn't fun or easy, so much better to keep an eye on it. Mine have the high meat content foods such as Natures Menu, HiLife, Bozita and Perfect Fit (not for the meat content, but the fibre), with JWB/PAH/Perfect Fit for dry and Molly is perfectly healthy with good teeth - and she is 15.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
he isn't a particularly active cat, which is why we decided to monitor whether he needs more or less food. As he is much younger than Jet was i don't want to risk making him obese.

Obviously if he looses weight portion sizes will increase, and vice versa, His diet is mainly dry and he does eat it well. a higher portion of good quality dry is what the vet recommends to keep teeth in good order plus it has more fortified vitamins and minerals etc. but i think and entirely dry diet is boring so the wet is a treat really.
Any alternive views are much appreciated.
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 09:07:57 AM »
I actually dont think one pouch in a full meal is a lot though, the guidelines are 4 a day, but I would halve that. I give the girls half a pouch to start with, and then more if htey ask for it, but Rolo acts starving if you only give him one pouch, so he is back on tinned food, it seems to fill him more, although he can eat most of a tin (equivalent of 4 pouches) in one day, plus dry food. He does have very high energy levels though.
Yeah, he wasnt keen to go back in the carrier at my vets, which is unusual. Bless him, glad he didn't seem too bothered by dogs.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 23:35:28 PM »
....I think he could cope with a small amount of extra weight, but your vet sounds good.

There are three vets at the clinic and they're all great! open weekends too!

I think the vet is more wary of what we're used to more than anything and is worried we might over-feed him without taking it into consideration.
He is on one pouch over two meals and few handfuls of dry (Jet was two pouches + dry) I told chris off the other day for a full pouch in one meal! I think he had completely forgotten that he was feeding a different cat.

I personally think he is too outwardly placid to be a fighter, more likely to walk away i think. If i thought it was necessary i would have said yes to the test but i disagreed. 
He didn't particularly fight to go in the carrier, though we did have a little trouble getting him back in when the vet had done - normally this isn't an issue.

When we left the consulatation room there was a small dog in reception who was really interested in Garfield - he showed no signs of agression or any interest, despite the dogs excitement.

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 23:24:10 PM »
The gloves were to pick him back up, the towel was to restrain him!! I had tried to pick him up without gloves, but he was still very scared then, I noticed when I picked him up to put him in the carrier for you he wasn't half as bad as he had been to go to the vets or to come here.

Glad to hear it - the person who rang me earlier wanted to know how far in advance he had to pay, and could I find him a ginger cat next week?? I think he could cope with a small amount of extra weight, but your vet sounds good.

I personally dont think he is in the high risk category, I doubt he is a fighter and there were no signs of a flare up after the stress of catching him to come here (I was stressed, so he must have been!!) and my vet didn't suggest it when she saw him (she did check his mouth and eyes, as he was fine at things being done in the carrier).
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 23:17:12 PM »
apart from bolting off the table when he first came out the carrier he was resonably well behaved, i did have to comfort him as he was a little wiggly, but he didn't require any gloves to handle him.

:nerner: No you can't have him back he's our snugglebug. I was a little shocked about his weight i thought he would be heavier (no offense Garfield my (c)hunky kitty) but the vet said it's important that we keep it under control. 

He also suggested it might be worthwhile having bloods done to test for FIV but looking at his overall health and time with various people, he reckons any symptons would have surfaced ie. gums, colds etc. I don't want to put him under any un-necessary stress as know blood tests are a stressful procedure (Jet would dribble uncontrolably after having blood drawn).

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 23:05:14 PM »
Damn, does that mean I can't have him back??? Had someone wanting a ginger cat earlier!! I am impressed with his weight, I would have said heavier than that, and it seems quite light for a male cat, especially one with the amount of fur that he has (we couldnt weigh him, it took thick gloves to get him back on the table, a towel and 2 people to hold him just to check he was neutered, never mind expect him to stand on scales!!). Glad it seems that he has settled well, and accepting things like that a lot better.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 18:21:43 PM »
It's Official! He's been chipped and Is Now Ours!!  :cheer:

He was also given his first vacs, weighed (4.4kg) and had a general check over.

The scabs were nothing to be worried about the vet picked one off and said it's either from the fleas or scratched himself (probably when he had fleas) they wasn't hiding anything sinister.

He did a tooth check he was impressed with his immaculate set of teeth, and claws and i asked about the dry paws, he said olive oil wouldn't do any harm, they are very dry. he did say E45 would be okay but i don't like the thought of him ingesting it.

I also asked about his diet, told him what i was feeding him, he agreed that it should be sufficient but when i go for second vacs we'll check his weight again and adjust his diet if need be. He is considered to be on the chunky side but we just need to be aware of his food intake to prevent him getting overweight - especially as i'm used to feeding a hyper-t cat. I had to tell chris off for over-feeding him the other day!

He is hiding at the moment, which i kind of expected after a vet visit.

The last day or so he has been spending alot of time in the lounge with us. not particularly close to us but in view and i have also got him playing properly with some balls and dangly things which is good progress as two weeks ago we thought he may have been too laid back and placid to play.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 20:31:43 PM »
Glad he is coming along well, I do hope he continues to when newbie arrives. I would just ask the vet about the scabs, I didnt notice anything here, and he was de-flead using Stronghold at the vet, which was the 2nd Jan.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 17:54:51 PM »
Garfield has his Vacs and chipping tomorrow! Don't know how well that will go down.

He is progressing fantastically, will get some more pictures this weekend. He's chilling under the clothes horse in the lounge at the moment. I've managed to get him playing this afternoon as well.

He has started following us downstairs at breakfast but hasn't quiet cottoned on as to when tea time is yet. he sometimes follows me round downstairs as well, he is more confident now as well.

Chris noticed a scab under his chin last night, and i've noticed some tiny scabs along his body, I can only assume these are from the fleas he had when he was a stray as it would be recent. should i be worried at all?
I know when i worked in a letting agent going into flea ridden houses left me with scabs i can only assume its the same for them.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »
Aww, bless him. I think I shut the window in teh cat room when it was very windy to help stop the noise for him. I am so glad he is doing well
Please spay your cat

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 19:02:22 PM »
Always to great to read about the encouraging progress of the G-man! ;D  I am sure he will get used to noises.  Oliver was quite confused and worrysome when he came to us at 4 months from a peaceful country side to our noisy quarter in the central Rome, full of street traffic also trains near by, plus our oversized fridge makes some scary noises every now and then.  He got used to it after a couple of days.  Our suckcat hoover also scared him first and he is not all that keen about it now either but he is more like annoyed and just walks away to the furthest corner like "aw heck that loud pesky booger again!!" while it is out and running.  He got used to loud music as well while I do my gym routine at home, and keeps me company hanging about near by... yesterday he was wrapping himself around my ancle and chewed on my calf while I was doing the curls and wanted to clamber up on my chest while I was doing crunches on the floor... :Crazy: :Crazy:

With lots and lots of TLC (which I am sure he is getting!) he will be a totally cool, laid back dude just like his namesake in no time!! ;)

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 18:46:29 PM »
Thanks Carol, I know exactly what you mean about feeding a hyper-t cat.
We were wary of this. We feed him one pouch split over two meals and a generous helping of dry (enough to last all day).
Jet used to eat two whole pouches a day plus some dry plus goats milk! 

although he appears to have lost a little weight, he no longer hunches his he into his neck which i think is why he suddenly looks so slender. as his head and tail are now up high!

he has taken to following us down the stairs now (both me & OH) but can get a little hasty and shoot upstairs, he is starting to rest a little downstairs as well but this is entirely depenant of the noises he hears, it's really windy here at the moment so all manor of noises are occuring some even i can't identify.

he is starting to play with his toys but he's doing this in our abscence as the first we know about it is when we find feathers all over the landing carpet! we do try and initiate play but he's more interested in getting his belly rubbed!  :cuddle:

All in all he is a much happier cat  :naughty:
don't know how well his vacs will go down though!?!?

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »
I've only just caught up with this thread - so glad Garfield is settling in well.  Can I re-iterate what Desley said about not letting him get overweight.  Its so easily done when you are used to feeding a hyper-T cat, I know, I've done it  :innocent:  We used to feed Tiny on demand because he was so thin and Korky got in on the act too.  After Tiny went to the bridge Korky still got fed more than was good for him and the result is that he has spent the last 14 months on a diet.  He's reached his target weight now thank goodness but I'm not going to make that mistake again!
Garfield's girlfriend looks a stunner too.  As for names you'll make the decision easily when you know her personality.  I see Gypsy as a free spirit (aren't all cats?), Sassy as a feisty little madam and Tess as another cuddlebum like Garfield  :Luv2:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »
Whoa Nicola what a beautiful lass!! :wow: I am sure the G-man will be chuffed to bits!! ;) 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 18:42:26 PM »
She sooooooooooooo pretty  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 17:33:24 PM »
Fortunately both me and Chris thought the same thing when we saw this picture.

I do hope they will make an admirable couple.

At the moment i'm torn between names she'll either be Gypsy, Sassy or Tess

Desley knows her history, she gets on okay with other cats and is also sociable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 19:09:57 PM by Garfield »

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 17:06:49 PM »
I hope this progress continues as we have reserved a girlfriend for him to collect the first weekend in february - She is also from Desleys rescue and is around the same age as Garfield.

Tell us more, tell us more - we needs details ;D

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 17:00:28 PM »
he definately is improving he followed hubby downstairs this morning and rubbed all up and down his legs for his breakfast this morning.

the difference is incredible, he is such a lovely cat.

I hope this progress continues as we have reserved a girlfriend for him to collect the first weekend in february - She is also from Desleys rescue and is around the same age as Garfield.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 11:18:11 AM »
Great to hear that your fab G-man is making himself more and more comfy at his new home!!   :wow:  I bet he is wondering where has his meowmy disappeared to, and you can't wait to see him again tomorrow!!  You are doing a wonderful job with this boy ;D  Another virtual rubby dubby for his plushy tummy... :Luv: :Luv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 07:53:31 AM »
Aww, I love to hear such positive updates, rehoming him when I Did was obviously the best thing for him, as he probably would have still been happy to stay in the den otherwise!! I doubt you being away will impede his progress, it certainly doesn't sound like it after your phone call.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 22:56:07 PM »
Thanks Gill, I am away till wednesday, it isn't something i have to do too often but i do hope it won't impeed on his progress.  :(

He is doing really well, I do spend a good few hours a day sat on the floor at the mo though and it's no good for my joints; so although i miss him and hubby like crazy it allows me to recover a little.

Roll on Wednesday  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 22:50:27 PM »
Well done Garfield  ;D

Sad you are going away cos that may break the trend

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 22:47:20 PM »
i'm not one to opening tonnes of different thread, but i thought i'd add a quick update.

this morning Garfield looked really refreshed, he followed my downstairs (which is a first) and i didn't notice until i saw him behind me at the kitchen door. as soon as he noticed i'd spotted him he disappeared back upstairs - its a start.

I did carry him downstairs so he could see i'd fed him (he does keep sneaking down to his bowl at night so i stopped taking food up to him)  and he proceeded to eat his wet food and some dry. i sat of the kitchen floor and we had some fuss, then he followed me into the lounge and stayed there too!

he snuck off to use the tray, then walked round me (i was laying on the lounge floor) and had a walk round the lounge the hid himself behind the couch. This is fab progress, though he is still wary of the sound and bright colours from the TV.

Spoke to hubby this evening, as i'm away tonight as we were talking Garfield walked himself downstairs and laid himself in front of the radiator! 

Three cheers for Garfield!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 22:36:55 PM »
Poor Garfy!! I have to say he didn't encounter the hoover here, I dont like having to hoover while they are confined in teh room, so stick to sweeping if possible for the first two weeks, especially with one you can't put in a carrier to get out to clean!
Please spay your cat

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 19:55:04 PM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: wooohoohoo more piccies of my latest darling Garfield!! :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

He is such a sweetpea, good thing you live so far away I may sneak by and pinch him otherwise!! :sneaky:

He does look sooo plushy, I wish I could leave my handprint on him, too!!  Thanks I def. got a wonderful Garfield fix!! ;D

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 19:17:58 PM »
Glad he's settling in now, he's a very handsome lad  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 14:37:54 PM »
Well we've cleaned up today for the first time whilst Garfield has been with us, let's just say he doesn't like the hoover!!  :sneakin:

He's hidden himself behind the couch in the lounge and hasn't moved since. We've pulled the couch forward and he still hasn't moved! Oh Well! at least he's downstairs!  :briggin:

Desley I recall you saying that BSH fur will leave a hand print if you touch his fur, if I rub Garfields Belly and take my hand away I can see the slight indents where my fingers were, it doesn't really spring back into place either.

Whether he's BSH or BSH/Moggy mix we love him just the same, I've never come across a cat that is such a snuggle bug, I'm hoping it won't be too long before he confidently joins us in the lounge as sitting on the floor isn't doing my joints any good!     

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 14:12:24 PM »
He is a stunner!  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 14:07:51 PM »
Wow...Garfield is a babe... :Luv2:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
Just wanted to respond to one of your comments on another thread Nic - I am glad you agree that he looks similar to a ginger BSH, I should have shown you the pic in my book that made me think that. There are no BSH breeders in this area though, Bolton is the closest I think, and I didnt get round to contacting them to get their opinion on him. Glad to hear he is drinking water, I dont think i noticed any water consumption in the fortnight he was here.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:40:41 AM »
He's a stunner, he looks like he's settled in really well  :)  Love his retro cornflakes bowl  - Tiggy had one of those too  ;D

that's a stand in at the mo, as OH managed to smash the funky bowl we brought him.

I will be careful with the milk though, as he is eating better and i noticed the water level in his downstairs bowl had gone down this morning so his time is limited on the milk (i.e treat only soon!)

his paws are a little dry and flaky, don't know if he managed to walk through something that has dried hard and is slowly flaking off. I'm tempted to rub a little olive oil on them as thats good at moisturising skin and won't be harmful to him, any suggestions?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:23:25 AM »
Aww, what lovely pics and am so glad he is settling in well - just be careful with the milk, as it is a food not a drink, and you dont want him getting overweight. Not sure about his paws, I have to say I didn't notice anything while he was here, and I did stroke his paws (I love cats paws, but get very few that will let me stroke/hold them!!).
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 07:08:21 AM »
 :heeee heeee: :heeee heeee: :heeee heeee:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 01:54:09 AM »
Yes I reckon that is a happy snapper  :rofl: :rofl: wont ask what you were snapping  :naughty:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 00:06:15 AM »
He's a stunner, he looks like he's settled in really well  :)  Love his retro cornflakes bowl  - Tiggy had one of those too  ;D

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 23:41:41 PM »
Thanks everyone for your lovely comment Garfield is Blushing!  :Luv:

Gill, I used my compact digital camera for the last lot of pictures, this time I used my Digital SLR Camera the quality is much better even after I've ran them through a jpeg re-sizer to upload.  :pic:

I'm a bit of a happy snapper, to give you an idea of just how much I love photos, on our honeymoon in the USA 2 years ago I took over 1,000 in 13 nights!

I'm glad Garfield is a snuggily cat, I blew raspberries on his belly earlier and he rubbed noses with me.

One thing I have noticed is that there is some hard skin on his paws, I don't know if this is something he's recovering from as he was a stray or whether he has a skin condition/dry skin?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 23:19:21 PM »
My goodness he is handsome , even more than two days ago  ;D ;D

He certainly has the right name cos he looks a real Garfield  ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat