Author Topic: How much does your adult cat eat?  (Read 9618 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: How much does your adult cat eat?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 11:06:07 AM »
I have to say that I have never known a cat in a a caring household to starve - they are not backward in letting you know their needs :Luv: - the only time i have found it necessary to regulate food is when a cat is still eating for Britain but is getting less exercise. :rofl:

Jo this morning Lexy was doing the wake up cat routine again.. but meerkat style and hitting my arm HARD to let me know it was time for food!  yep...they never starve! :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Yes, just careful he doesn't glutton his food. Feed him at intervals so that he doesn't eat his whole morning meal in one and then is inactive through the rest of the day. I'm lucky that Lexy paces herself well, she will eat throughout the day so I could leave the food out all day if I wanted. She's an indoor cat and pretty sedentary (unless its a bird and moving she won't move!  :evillaugh: ) so I watch her food as much as I can.

Once he's out and exercising you will find that the regular food he eats will be fine, he will exercise it off and probably eat other stuff outside to compliment. Look forward to the odd mouse on your kitchen floor  :-:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
I have to say that I have never known a cat in a a caring household to starve - they are not backward in letting you know their needs :Luv: - the only time i have found it necessary to regulate food is when a cat is still eating for Britain but is getting less exercise. :rofl:

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:02:33 AM »
I'm not familiar with the tins more the pouches. My mum feeds her cat the Felix tins and its one tin a day in three servings as her cat is a bit of a glutton. Just have a look at the content at the back of the tins. If he's a big cat already, is this big cat/fat cat or big cat/muscle cat?  If the former you may want to consider the food he's eating as these tend to be higher in fat (slightly) but if he's active it should balance out.
Ok thank you - id say hes more a big cat/big boned cat - hes not doing much exercise at the moment - cause he cant go out for a few more weeks (until he knows us better and his surroundings).. so i guess he will eat more when he does more exercise?  :-:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:01:06 AM »
Whiskas do state a tin per day, but that is if it is their only food. i know their pouches state to reduce by one pouch for every 20g of dry you give them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:59:27 AM »
I'm not familiar with the tins more the pouches. My mum feeds her cat the Felix tins and its one tin a day in three servings as her cat is a bit of a glutton. Just have a look at the content at the back of the tins. If he's a big cat already, is this big cat/fat cat or big cat/muscle cat?  If the former you may want to consider the food he's eating as these tend to be higher in fat (slightly) but if he's active it should balance out.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »
It depends on the food and the amount of biscuits you give. If you imagine biscuits are just the wet food buy dry, so lots of that will probably compensate for small amounts of dry food.

You will see how much to feed a cat by weight (usually) on the back of the bags.

Careful with fat/oil contents with some foods. Too much will produce a more rotund cat (like mine  :-[ ). You just need to balance it out.

What are you feeding him?
Hes on whiskers with jelly .. in chicken, duck ,etc....  just a bit worried that hes not eating enough.. as he quite a big cat! 
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
That is absolutely fine dont worry.  My cats have one tin per day and there are three of them or four if count next door
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
I actually find it hard to keep track in my house cos what the cats don't eat, the dog does, so sometimes i am serving food at five minute intervals and at others they are happy with just a few pouches a day supplemented with dry. What are the biscuits that are good for their teeth? And what size tins are we discussing... You should also make sure that the food you are providing is a full, balanced diet - there are a lot of treat foods out there that do not contain the full dietary requirements of a cat ...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »
The amounts on the tin are slightly high - and if he eats biscuits, he needs less wet food. The dental biscuits are higher in fat, so if he eats lots of them, you might want to monitor his wet food, it is a lot harder to get cats to lose weight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
It depends on the food and the amount of biscuits you give. If you imagine biscuits are just the wet food buy dry (so concentrated) so lots of that will probably compensate for small amounts of wet food.

You will see how much to feed a cat by weight (usually) on the back of the bags.

Careful with fat/oil contents with some foods. Too much will produce a more rotund cat (like mine  :-[ ). You just need to balance it out.

What are you feeding him?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:53:43 AM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
How much does your adult cat eat?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:48:29 AM »
Thomas eats about half a tin of food each day - hes still settling in , but ive been told that an adult cat should eat a tin a day?... He also has them biscuits that are good for his teeth (he eats alot of them)...
Just curious to know how much everyone elses eats.? ;)
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat