Author Topic: indoor/outdoor cat debate  (Read 10501 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: indoor/outdoor cat debate
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 12:23:35 PM »

If everyone keeps it nice and friendly there is no reason why it could get nasty
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:24:36 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 11:18:28 AM »
Well weve been here several times havent we !

Before I got Leo I had never heard of Indoor cats. I am in UK..

The more I read up on Maine Coons before I got Leo the more Breeders I came accross that would only sell a kitten as an indoor cat.

I spoke to lots of different people about this as initially I did think it was cruel. BUT reading more & more it is actually kinder (if the cat is ok with it & hasnt been left to roam previous) I have had 2 cats hit by cars  :( There is fighting with other cats, risk of getting stolen & lets face it there are plenty of kids & adults that hate cats that could & do harm them.

So after taking all of this into account I decided that Leo would be indoor only.

He is absolutely fine with it. When I do move to a house with a garden I will then build a secure run for him.

Hope this helps

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 10:52:38 AM »
I think a lot of people don't know about indoor cats because you just don't see them ! There's one lady 3 doors down from me and I didn't even realise she had a cat because she's also an ' inny '.

You mean she manages not to be covered in cat fur?! How?! :evillaugh:

I think this debate is always interesting, as long as people remember that what's right for their cats isn't necessarily right for someone elses. Although my cats have outdoor/indoor access two of them like to adventure and two of them don't because their personalities vary so much. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »
well, it does tend to cause a bit of a stir, but I agree Melysion, you are as entitled as any of us to start a thread and are welcome to do so. Just don't start one about the animated cat waking its owner up  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: now that one we have definitely seen before  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 10:21:17 AM »
I don't judge anyone who responsibly allows their cats to go outside, I used to do myself years ago. I would have thought then that it was utterly bizarre and probably cruel to keep cats inside, because I didn't realise it was possible for them to be happy inside.
However, then I met my husband whose own cat had always been an inside cat. He thought it was utterly bizarre I let mine out !
After much consideration I decided to ' insiderise ' my cats, and it worked beautifully, even the ones who had been used to going out and spending a lot of time outside adapted very quickly and were very purry happy kitties.
Having had two of my cats hit by cars in my extremely ' but I live in a quiet area there are hardly any cars ' area IN ONE DAY ( one instantly dead, one PTS later due to resulting injuries ), I am glad I made the decision those years back for my remaining cats.
Even in this very quiet area cats get hit by cars, out of the 9 cats that lived in my ' but I live in a quiet area there are hardly any cars ' very quiet cul-de-sac, 4 lost their lives to cars. 4. out of 9. Not good odds really. My childhood cat was free-roaming and met his end via poison and then being hit by a car. My husband had to scrape a neighbours cat off the road a few weeks back.
Did I mention how quiet my area is ?
My cats are happy and not big fatty clingy rampaging loons. ( Well 80% of the time ! ;) ).
I would catproof a garden if I had one suitable.

I think a lot of people don't know about indoor cats because you just don't see them ! There's one lady 3 doors down from me and I didn't even realise she had a cat because she's also an ' inny '.

Until I have my own predator free island my cats will never free roam again, I can't take the heartbreak.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:28:08 AM by J (Indoorcatsuk) »
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 10:14:52 AM »
I have 4 cats and a catflap and they are all free to go in and out when they want.

Every cat owner has to look at where thy live, the risks and also the personality and needs of there cats and make their own decision.

Toby is an indoor only cat. He has to be because of his FIV. I certainly dont think its a good idea to allow FIV cats out. As for other cats - you just have to be sensible. If the area is safe then yes - let them out but you have to use common sense. What if you live next to a very busy road? It wouldnt be such a good idea then.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:23:43 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »
Trying to picture someone running with a big red lad under each arm...doesnt seem too likely tbh  :evillaugh:

They'd need a forklift  :shy:
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 08:16:33 AM »
Mine are indoor cats.  Always have been and always will be, although if I ever have a garden I will try to catproof it or build a cat run so that they can have some outdoor access.  I do think that everyone's circumstances are different though (as is each cat) so all any of us can do is assess the risks and benefits of indoor only and indoor/outdoor and make a decision based on that.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 21:20:05 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 00:22:19 AM »
I'm in the indoor and indoor + catproofed garden only camp. It's different if a cat has been used to going outside as it would be much more difficult to adapt to being indoor only but if a cat has been raised as indoor only then they really don't know anything else.  Susanne is right that if a cat is indoor only they require much more attention and stumulation so it's not something to be undertaken lightly. It really is a dangerous world we live in now and not one that I'm about to expose the boys to. 

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 20:15:52 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 00:08:13 AM »
Michelle, out of interest, why dont you think FIV+ shouldn't be kept in? They might not spread the virus once neutered, but they have a compromised immune system, so could become ill to things they come into contact with.

Because the chance of them passing FIV on is so remote (once neutered)
HOWEVER
Hadnt thought about the suppressed immune system Desley!
but i am still going to stick with my view of allowing an FIV to go out

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 23:44:11 PM »
I have 4 cats and a catflap and they are all free to go in and out when they want.

Every cat owner has to look at where thy live, the risks and also the personality and needs of there cats and make their own decision.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 21:07:31 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 22:32:53 PM »
It takes a deep bite to transmit FIV, and neutered cats dont generally fight that bad - although you will get some, so should probably still be kept in.
Please spay your cat

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 22:24:34 PM »
Are not cats at risk from FIV if fighting? outdoor cats do fight
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 22:19:45 PM »
I personally allow mine to go out if they want, although the weather is that bad at the moment they aren't getting the choice, and all bar one of the fosters is happy.
Michelle, out of interest, why dont you think FIV+ shouldn't be kept in? They might not spread the virus once neutered, but they have a compromised immune system, so could become ill to things they come into contact with.
Please spay your cat

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 22:13:09 PM »
My two penneth worth -

If a cat in happy to be kept indoors than great - it is isnt then i feel it is not fair JUST MY OPINION

Also, I personally dont feel that an FIV positive cat needs to be kept in either AND AGAIN just MY opinion

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 20:43:10 PM »
Melysion, it's one of those things cat owners slaves are never likely to agree on, in all honesty. I personally have allowed my cats to be indoor/outdoor cats from being old enough to do so, but I understand in some circumstances that's not possible.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 20:23:07 PM »
Living in a busy city centre I would never think of letting my cat roam about by himself outside.  There is also a hefty pitbull living near by, often out in front of our flat without a lead with his owner. (He is lovely, and very friendly and sweet too, with me, but I really don't know how he would react with a cat!)  If we were ever able to move to an individual house with a garden, it would be nice to create a safe outdoor area for him to play in.  Or if we could live in a peaceful country side he may be able to have a free run... but this I am not quite sure, I don't know how I can cope if he brought me some pressie of a headless bird or mouse!!  I know it may not be fair to him but I am so skirmish when it comes to that.... :faint:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 20:21:07 PM »
Trying to picture someone running with a big red lad under each arm...doesnt seem too likely tbh  :evillaugh:

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 20:05:06 PM »
In fact, there has recently been a heated discussion which involved one member who thought that no cat should ever be outside and that she had the right to steal a cat she saw roaming as - to her mind  - outdoor cats means neglect and therefore the owners dont deserve them.

:rofl: If someone stole my boys they'd need to run very fast, have big locks on their doors and probably a gun too. D@mn ridiculous thing to say.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 19:44:04 PM »
Well i grew up on a farm and only knew of indoor/outdoor & outdoor only cats.  I then became a veterinary nurse and debated/chatted about this in depth over many years aswell as tend to the injuries of many (the lucky ones i suppose).  I then as an adult had my own cats who were indoor due to living in a flat then next to a very fast 60mph road but still probably was of the opinion that indoor if unsafe, outdoor access if in quiet safer rural type areas.  However having now been a member of here and cc for over a year i can honestly say i am on the indoor fence.  I just have heard so many cases, experiences, stories and to be honest in certain (not all) circumstances excuses as to why a cat must get out and then the awful gut wrenching r.i.p tales and then on to poor owners agonising over what type of death they had.  For me I am now firmly in the catproofed garden or secure run for outdoor pursuits, this way atleast when their time is up i wont have to deal with a guilty conscience unless of course they've escaped and managed to be injured that way.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 19:32:37 PM »
For what it's worth, I have two indoor cats and one outdoor.  Bertie went outside occasionally when he was smaller but always stayed in the garden and came back quite quickly.  It therefore wasn't too difficult to keep him inside once his sister Matilda had been killed on the road and I became terrified of the same happening to Bertie.  His new companion Bella had never been outdoors when she arrived at 5 months old, and she is now 2 years old and still hasn't been outside.  She is scared of noises from outside and hides when the front or back doors are opened.  Minnie came to me as a completely outdoor cat and I initially fed her outdoors, but she started coming inside gradually, and now spends around 21 hours a day inside, by choice, but goes out to hunt.  I'm not entirely happy about it, as she's partially deaf and blind and her previous owner should never have kept her outside, but I also wouldn't deprive her access to the outdoors when she's so used to it.  Bertie and Bella have toys, play houses and lots of stimulation indoors and, as far as I can see, don't seem to miss out by being inside.

But - each to their own, and I would never think a cat was neglected, or an owner not fit, just because their cat is outside - no more than I would want anyone to judge me on the fact that Bertie and Bella are indoors.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 19:29:27 PM »
Yep melysion, as with the american forum, views on here can be fairly divided. Some are for it, others against it, but i have yet to hear any of us suggesting that we can steal a cat cos it is outside and by definition, neglected. It is only if the cat is at risk, as well as outside that some might contemplate such drastic action - and usually only after suggesting the owner take more precautions for their pet's safety. Here mine are outdoors during the day and indoors at night. Anywhere else I have lived, they have generally been indoors. But I have always supplemented their indoors with an enclosed run so they could have the fun of outdoors without the risks. I have never had a cat who did not settle to being an indoor cat, but if I did have one who was unhappy I would let it out - just never at night. Basically because I am emotional coward who can't face the horrors of finding my baby mained or dead...

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 19:24:36 PM »
Well I had never even heard of indoor cats until I came on this forum
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 19:23:09 PM »
No the subject just keeps coming around and the discussion gets heated on here too, and as for cats roaming at will I think thats starting to decline, my cats (3 boys) are all indoor, from kittens, in fact still kittens lol but I live in a flat and traffic is heavy around here, outside might be the right environment for them but outside doesn't look like the right environment for them any more, I remember as a lad people did the same things with their dogs chucked them out in the morning and saw them again at dinnertime :), but this is no longer accepted, I think a time will come when the same thing will happen with cats

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 19:21:33 PM »
You're wrong!  We've had this debate here several times before.  There was a time when most UK owners probably DID let their cats outdoors, but these days, with the increasing risk that traffic poses, more and more owners are keeping their cats in.  I think it's fair to say that opinion is pretty divided on it ...

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 19:16:41 PM »
oh god here we go again :)

you mean I should quit this now?

Interesting. I was under the impression that most UK owners let their cats outside. Am I wrong?

Its all fairly academic to me as Toby cant go out anyway (FIV).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 19:17:03 PM by melysion »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 19:15:13 PM »
oh god here we go again :)

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
indoor/outdoor cat debate
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 19:14:04 PM »
I have a question that might be controversial.

I am a long standing member of another cat forum where most of the members are from the United States.

Many people in the United States are against the concept of letting cats outdoors to roam unsupervised. In fact, there has recently been a heated discussion which involved one member who thought that no cat should ever be outside and that she had the right to steal a cat she saw roaming as - to her mind  - outdoor cats means neglect and therefore the owners dont deserve them.

What do you think? I'm interested in the opinions of UK verses US people.

Link to CatChat