Author Topic: What next? Advice from those in rescue especially welcome.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: What next? Advice from those in rescue especially welcome.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 01:59:22 AM »
I was the opposite to Frances and needed a cat immediately after Kocka went to the Bridge, I just could not stand not having one around and a week was far too long.

The act of going to see CP cats  3/4 days on was so wonderful and being able to stroke a cat was just heaven!

However I was so upset I was being helped by Blue Cross bereavment side for quite a while after.

I am sure you will know when is the right time for you and yes I think the right cat will just come to you in one way or another  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 00:56:25 AM »
Firefox if you want to know why I do not foster either short term or long term for CP any more is that when I lost a couple of animals of my own both times the Welfare Officer wanted to put a rescue in the following day after I had lost them.  On one occassion they phoned the same day and had a cat of the same name as the animal I had just lost. 

On the second occassion it happened just said no and come and get all the cats you have here as I am leaving you expect too much all the time but there had been other things that I did not agree with happen to do with the welfare of cats.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 22:31:38 PM »
I was very sorry to hear about Noah  :hug: .

I suddenly lost my gorgeous Woody last year - he went from fine and dandy with a repeat of a constipation problem to dying from an enormous chest tumour in less than a week.  I knew I wanted another cat but (in hindsight) started to look way too early, while I was still in shock at losing Woody, and found that just looking at pictures of cats needing homes would leave me sobbing.

I also considered fostering as an interim but couldn't make any decisions about that either.  In the end I decided to give myself at least a month before considering another cat.  It wasn't an easy time - finding a whisker, hoovering up his fur and cleaning his paw marks off the windows all had me in tears - and I hated being catless.  But it did give me time to come to terms with what had happened, to work out what I wanted to do next and to be ready for a cat (or two!) to find me.

It took me nine weeks after Woody died to contact Teresa about Christopher :Luv: and James :Luv2:.  It might take you more or less time - everyone is different - but you may find it helpful while the loss of Noah is still raw to "choose not to choose" right now.

:)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 18:50:59 PM »
Have looked at the CT website and there is no guidance or appeal for long-term fosterers, may get in touch.

Their website isn't the best! However, I know someone who works for them and this what she posted (on another forum I'm on) a while back about adopting CT animals:

Long term fostering is effectively rehoming, except that The Trust retains ownership of the pet in order to make sure it can fulfill its promise of life long care. The Trust pays vet bills for the pet(s) and will also find holiday cover for your hols for you.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 18:49:54 PM »
Just wanted to say that Liz and Daphne's rescue is www.leedsfelinefriends.org.uk and they obviously know you and would always be happy to have a chat about cats in care

http://www.leedsfelinefriends.org.uk/page4.htm

J xxx
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 18:42:19 PM »
I agree with Gillian, things like this just seem to fall into place - why did I think you were in Scotland though ff???

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 18:41:13 PM »
I'm sure you will make the right decision,  at the right time for you   :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 18:37:18 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.  :hug:  Have looked at the CT website and there is no guidance or appeal for long-term fosterers, may get in touch. RSPCA are not interested and we don't seem to have a CP for Bradford. I have whizzed through a number of other rescue sites via CatChat, but there are no obvious candidates so we will see what time brings.

Teresa you could never offend, as I said in my first post brutally honest works and I know you only want the best for me and any cat. :hug: I promise I have no intention of biting off more than I can chew - if I did I'd opt for a poor babe from the Free-ads.  :(  I simply don't have the knowledge or experience to deal with a 'very' problem cat; reinforced by reading Purrs for an insight into living with certain medical conditions or behavioural problems.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 17:05:55 PM »
I know what my initial advice was, BUT can I change my mind; Fire Fox you are in too much pain right now and I almost see you grasping at a straw of a cat that may bring further agony to you very quickly.Yes you have so much to give but too much pain is not good for anyone, you need the right cat and I know that given the chance it would be too easy for a rescue (myself included) to fob you off with a problem. For the time being concentrate on giving us all the wonderful nutritional advice you have available which really is appreciated even though I dont always find time to say so. The right cat will find you  :hug: :hug:
I apologise in advance if this post causes upset to anyone, that is not my intention, at present I do have difficulty with wording things due to meds.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 00:19:25 AM »
I know the Rspca offer half price care- i am like you in the way that i could use PDSA but dont want to as I would like to pay for as much as i can for kitty, the RSPCA seemed a good option in offering cheaper care so i still cover half the costs myself. I would however make cutbacks etc if that was unavailable and im going to take out insurance in case aything (god forbid) happened and she needed surgery.
for Instance neutering and micro chip is £22 at Rspca  although obviously an older cat from a rescue would allready have this covered.
I would take your time if i was you , i think you will know when the right cat is going to come along- they just seem to find you!!!
my kitten came to me through a friend i hadnt spoken to for over a year, she was on facebook and i tild her i was looking to adopt a kitten and she told me a lady at the school had a cat that had kittens that she was so deperate to rehome that she was going to dump at rspca! :Crazy:
needless to say i flew up there on the bus a night and came back with our beautiful girl Georgia and she has fitted in perfectly, shes an absolute angel of a kitten i have to say!
there are so many cats in rescues that are older that need homes im sure they would take your offer of adoption with open arms! I think older cats have a lot to offer, they are past the rampant kitten stage and just want to snuggle up and share some love. sooo sorry about poor Noah-no wonder you are so cutup-anyone would be!!

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 23:26:20 PM »
CP branches definately still ran the golden oldie scheme upto 3 years ago whether it is as a long term foster or you decide to take it on permanently.  The downside with long term fostering is if they find a home for the cat then they can remove it from you and place it in a new home.  I often had long term fosters in either because of their age or they were ill or both.  Some would be with me for about a year and only left me as the vet could do no more for them and they were failing fast due to illness and I never took that decision lightly if I had to make it.

The decision was made when the quality of life was affected and not before.  With long term fostering it can range from just being over 10 years of age to unfortunately having a cat with cancer, renal failure, hepatitis, over active thyroid, diabetes, pins in their legs or any other illness that there is going.  The more severe the case the more likely it is that it will stay with you.

A lot of rescues would rather have an oldie or poorly cat in a foster home living inside the home rather than in a pen.

I also use in my area Bluecross as an emergency vet and had to do so last August for my youngest cat, so know what you mean you like it for a back up for only if you have to use it.  I got verbal abuse from the veterinary nurse because I said that I would get any medication or what the cat needed from elsewhere but the vet was pleased that I was willing to do this rather than be fully reliant on them and therefore freeing some of what it would of cost to care for him to help others in the same situation or worse situation.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 20:13:14 PM »
If insurance was in place (and no pre-existing conditions) then realistically the most you would ever be looking at for vet bills would be the cost of the excess - normally £50. Added to this, whilst in general I agree with your stance of non-automatic reliance on the PDSA, if you were to need to use their services you can always make a small donation at the time and when you find yourself in a better position financially you can make a larger donation to them.

If and when you feel ready to adopt another cat I am sure that Noah would be so proud, he left a legacy of love for you to share  :hug:  Adopting another cat won't stop you missing him but if my experience is anything to go by it will make you smile and laugh whilst you're missing him rather than the only emotion being one of sadness  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 15:17:22 PM »
many rescues operate a golden oldie scheme. we do with Jill in that she has 10 of our cats who are old/ill/awkward.
Most schemes will cover vet bills, we are continuing to fund Squirt for instance as he will have long term health problems. Jill is a special case as she also gets some towards food bills as well - well lets face it food for 10 cats isn't cheap.

As far as we are concerned, as a small rescue, if Jill didn't have these cats it would be 10 less spaces for us to do the rehoming stuff with so its a blessing. The downside of it is the cost to us as it must be costing us £2000 a year for basic treatment and food and there is always the risk of a serious bill coming in, even though Jill is in a position to deal with a lot of things without the need to go to a vet.

So this is a drain but one I think we need to take, as we believe that the welfare of a cat continues its whole life and no cat is too old not to be cared for. One of these days, I will get a sponsor scheme going for them.

I don't think It would be possible to get insurance for a cat that is on long term foster as you don't technically own the cat.

I'm sure most branches of CP offer a golden oldie scheme and there is always the likes of Cinnamon Trust - I believe someone on here fosters for them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 15:18:59 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 15:16:20 PM »
Just thinking about your uncertain finances - have you considered the Cinnamon Trust? They rehome animals (mainly cats and dogs) whose owners have died or gone into care homes, and they regard all their rehomed animals as in long term foster care - therefore, they pay vets' bills and (I think, would need to double check) they also pay for a cattery if you go on holiday or need to go away.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 15:14:46 PM »
Gill is right, I'm sure Mary's Bonnie is such a cat

for the record I think you are a fantastic owner, you've clearly thought about it very hard if you did one day need the pdsa why feel guilty about it - you have gone into this with your eyes open and that is what they are there for its not like its an afterthought

good luck to you what ever you decide  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 14:55:27 PM »
There are so many older or problem cats looking for homes I am sure that there should be no problem finding a cat and I seem to have in the archives in my head a memory that either CP or RSPCA use to have a scheme whereby oldies or hard to home cats could be longterm fostered and they would pay the vet bills.

I dont know if this is still the case but maybe worthwhile approaching them to see.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
What next? Advice from those in rescue especially welcome.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 14:41:34 PM »
I have cried the best part of a river this weekend  :'( so, rather than flood the flat below, it seems sensible to consider the numerous suggestions to take on another cat. My heart is not in it at this point, but how can I ignore a lovely PM from someone whose name begins with T? :hug:

I would find it easiest to take on a furball who is difficult to rehome - which I guess means one who is very timid, has a health condition or is older? IMO my circumstances are suited to this as I am settled in my flat, no kids/ dogs/ cats, the building is quiet and secure. There is a taxi rank close by and my vet is less than two miles away. Plus I have you guys to guide me.

The sticking point is finances. I am by no means on my uppers - I am lucky enough to own this flat, have some 'rainy day' savings and family who will lend money in an emergency.  :-[ On the flip side I have spent much of the eighteen months unemployed or off sick and my day-to-day savings have all but gone. My 'rainy day' pot is there for when our 1960s lift becomes obsolete - could be next year, could be a decade away.

Noah had AXA insurance and any other cat would be too, tho that won't cover every eventuality. I would be eligible to use the PDSA, however I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on this. Soooooooooo I thought of long-term fostering, but I don't really know much about it.  :shy: I am not so sure it isn't the same to to accept help for vet bills from stretched rescues as it is to adopt regardless and use the PDSA? I guess I'd need transport? Presumably I can't insure someone else's cat?

I am aware a few of the regulars are also on a low income and my comments are NOT a dig at you - I know you have had changes in circumstance or cats who have (very wisely) chosen you. :hug: I also know everyone on Purrs would go without if it meant food or veterinary treatment for their furry charges, and I have the utmost respect for anyone who does so.

TL-DR version: I am being a silly stress-head about money and morality. You probably need to just rock up to the door and hand me an occupied carrier.  :-[ Feel free to make suggestions and criticisms, brutally honest works for me.  *takes deep breath*
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Link to CatChat