Author Topic: What to do about a stray/feral cat thats living in my grandads garage  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: What to do about a stray/feral cat thats living in my grandads garage
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 07:48:56 AM »
sorry......did go to my grandads week before last, didnt see the cat but from what i can gather it looks like the wiskers cat, grey/silver with thin black stripes....so silver tabby i guess

my plan was to get a voucher from the CP as they said they would issue a neutering voucher and a cage to trap it in if needed, with the bank holiday weekend an me living 80 miles away i havent managed to sort it out

also worried that the cat is not actualy a stary and is someones pet from near by that is taking advantage of the free food......just dont know how to work this one  :scared:

Sounds a good plan.

You would need to put a paper collar on asking 'does this cat belong to you if so ring.....' that is of course if he'll let you touch him if not you will need the trap. 

You could check out the other Found tips we have too if you've not already done so: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31636.0.html :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:50:16 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 22:44:08 PM »
sorry......did go to my grandads week before last, didnt see the cat but from what i can gather it looks like the wiskers cat, grey/silver with thin black stripes....so silver tabby i guess

my plan was to get a voucher from the CP as they said they would issue a neutering voucher and a cage to trap it in if needed, with the bank holiday weekend an me living 80 miles away i havent managed to sort it out

also worried that the cat is not actualy a stary and is someones pet from near by that is taking advantage of the free food......just dont know how to work this one  :scared:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »
Any update on this little one, Rachel?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »
If need be we have a heated shead that a cat flap could be fitted to providing parents and other cats are happy with that!!

Sounds ideal if he/she turns out to be feral  ;D

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »
i dont think so.....they are 87 and he was worried what would happen to it if they were no longer there, not even sure it would be ok as a house cat, will just have to wait and see. If need be we have a heated shead that a cat flap could be fitted to providing parents and other cats are happy with that!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:31:36 AM »
Well done to your grandad for helping this little one ..... would he not like to offer it a home once it's been spayed neutered  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
thanks mark, am already weary of the RSPCA.....and i foster rabbits for them, so that says alot!!

Contacted Leicester cats protection, they can issue a voucher or provide a trap if need be, gona hopefully get it to the vets next week to see if it is chipped, fingers crossed

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 23:54:47 PM »
I would be wary of contacting the RSPCA  - not all but some branches may PTS unless the cat is 100% easily rehomeable. They may also PTS if the cat turns out to be FIV.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 21:33:47 PM »
:luck:  :hug:

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 21:04:27 PM »
Am going to leicester on monday/ tuesday armed with some kitekat and jollies adult biscuits so lets hope it likes them!! will gather more information then and am going to contact woodside rspca as only round the corner, so fingers crossed it has a microchip
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 21:31:35 PM by rachelburdett20 »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
It might be worth asking his local CP branch if they can help out with food. They could well offer to drop some off at your granddad's Also ask if they can put the cat on their waiting list. It sounds more like a lost or turfed out cat rather than feral - so should be able to be rehomed. If Leicester is like our branch (Canterbury), we have food collections bins in quite a few supermarkets and vets. Angela (pudding) is doing such a great job that the last I heard, no branch funds are having to be spent on catfood which leaves more money for vet bills etc.  :)

Have you got a description of the cat?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 17:10:01 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »
Hi

Well done to your grandad for helping this cat but dog food I don't think is any good for it.

If you wanted to buy some cat food there are lots of offers around (as posted on the Bargains section) PAH are still doing 96 Felix (ordinary and AGAIL) for £20 as well as offers on Whiskas. So perhaps have a look where you can get the cat food cheaply.  :)

You could speak with a local rescue re help on checking for a microchip and getting him to a vet for a health check (including worm and defleaing). Also if un-neutered,  CP and RSPCA offer low cost or pay for full cost neutering. Local rescues may have traps which you could use to catch him.

PS
Edit to add List of rescues in leicestershire
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/leics.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:51:54 AM by Edd »

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »
Just worked out i can get 24 cans of waitrose food for £9.35.....slighlty cheeper than asda so will prob do that.....just need to source some biscuits

my worry is that after we have put it through the stress of traping and neutering it will find somewhere else to go as it would assosiate my grandad with that

Had a thought that we could bring it down here to live in my heated shead with a catflap, but not sure how our other three or mum would like that

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »
tinned from tesco or something would probably be ok - you'd probably  need to borrow a trap if it is feral but not sure what would happen after that??

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »
I'd suggest something like GoCat or supermarket own brand dried food just for now as it's better than dogfood and will probably be cheaper. No idea on how to go about catching the cat though, but good luck and hope everything goes smoothly :)

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
What to do about a stray/feral cat thats living in my grandads garage
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
Hi

My Grandad has this cat thats been living in his garage for some time now (since last year), i didnt realise it was still there untill i spoke to him yesterday.

My mum informs me its feral, but grandad says it sometimes comes to him when he feeds it.

My first thought is its someones long lost pet cat, Second, it may be unneutered/spayed, third......hes feeding it pedigree chum cause its cheeper than cat food  :Crazy: (hes been buying the huge cans)

We live in buckinghamshire and there are in leicester forest east,

If i was to catch it, would i be able to get a voucher for its spay/neuter??

Also if it is feral, I dont fancy being torn to shreads trying to get it in a basket, whats the best way of catching them??

As to food, mum has told him that dog food is no good for cats, but also recons dog foods better than no food??.....rearly not sure what to do here, think grandads trying to do the right thing but obvisioly on a budget, was considering taking soom food up for the cat, whats the best cheep food you would recomend.....mine eat JWB.....but cant afford to be feeding that to a stray

Was thinking waitrose canned food and Iams or purenia (Work for the partnership and get 15% discount!) but is there something cheeper??

Also worried about worms and fleas??

Any thoughts

Rachel

Link to CatChat