Author Topic: Very Worrying ad- what do you guys think???  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Very Worrying ad- what do you guys think???
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2008, 20:25:01 PM »
A similar ad has appeared on the coventry site. (also birmingha!).
I have just posted an ad titled 'beware of rescues offering to take unwanted pets in' - will see if I receive any flak for that, lol.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2008, 01:28:35 AM »
I'm as confused as everyone else here, but if shes changed the wording on the advert that means she is liable for misleading customers as to the nature of her business under trading standards guidelines? Especially if she is using Animeds name to justify herself without thier permission and particulary if money is changing hands.....

Then theres the facts of whether this enterprise has charitable status and licenses for the keeping of animals on where ever the b***dy hell thier premises are.... i appreciate that licenses are not always required but with the large amount of cat and kittens that she could take in via this advert I can't see a house-run business cutting the mustard- look at the fact that even the large charities have waiting lists ATM.

it may be that she is geniune but her caginess about the true nature of this situation and the fact that her claims cannot be substansiated is ringing loud alarm bells in my head. It's a shame that she couldn't be honest from the start as the purrs peeps are always happy to welcome a new rescue member to the fold  :Luv:

Ho hum...just throwing a few thoughts around here, feel free to ignore my ramblings  :Crazy:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:13 AM »
I agree Lesley, I don't think there's any more that can be done now.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »
I think it's one of those that we are going to have to stay clear of, I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of it, like so many of the ads that seem to appear on these sites. :'(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »
I thought that also... BUT when I go to portsmouth to see family, it is actually nearer than I thought so maybe she's just trying to cover a large area.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »
The other point that puzzles me is if she lives in Portsmouth, why is the ad on the Guildford site and not the Portsmouth one.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2008, 11:18:48 AM »
RE: tree post: 29884435

In terms of the checking at the vets, it's absolutely discusting if her statement is in fact made up but I've looked on the website and there are about 6 different branches of Animed so maybe he works at another branch? By the looks of ehr other ads she lives in Clanield in Portsmouth but there's nothing to say her father couldn't work in another town.

I am just a little concerned that maybe she is in fact someone who's trying to do the right thing and help these animals and we (Myself being the person who started it!) are now giving her an unjustly hard time. I'm feeling a bit rough today though, all fogged up with cold and maybe it's clouding my judgement though! lol

Although there are six Branches, all the Vets are based at the main hospital and the Equine Vets (there are no more Large Animal Vets) are all based at the hospital.  I worked at the main hospital and was also the Relief Receptionist so worked at all the Branches and knew everyone who worked there.

Although I left a few years ago, they are still my vets and I am still a regular face there.  I spoke to one of the Partners yesterday and he does not know any vet who has a daughter rescuing cats or anyone who is married to an RSPCA Inspector.  To be honest, the RSPCA are not that well though of there.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
I'm so confused about this now, I wanted to believe her story as she seemed really nice, but now I'm starting to wonder again. Debsymiller - there are 6 branches but they are all linked and now deal with only small animals and equine, it says on the website that all their farm work has been transferred to Westpoint farm vets.

Maybe passing her email on to Animed is a good option, obviously if she is mis-using their name, they should be doing something about it, and if she isn't, they should be able to get to the bottom of it.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
RE: tree post: 29884435

She's now reworded the ad! Apparantly we are 'animal rights people' !!! I am all for the rights of animals as we all are but this phrase makes us sound like dundamentalist extreemists rather than the concerned rescue workers we actually are! ggrr!!!

In terms of the checking at the vets, it's absolutely discusting if her statement is in fact made up but I've looked on the website and there are about 6 different branches of Animed so maybe he works at another branch? By the looks of ehr other ads she lives in Clanield in Portsmouth but there's nothing to say her father couldn't work in another town.

I am just a little concerned that maybe she is in fact someone who's trying to do the right thing and help these animals and we (Myself being the person who started it!) are now giving her an unjustly hard time. I'm feeling a bit rough today though, all fogged up with cold and maybe it's clouding my judgement though! lol

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
I have enquired at the Vets and no one knows who this person can be, definitely not a relation of any Vet there.  I am taking a copy of the e-mail in as they are not very happy about their name being used in this way.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 07:44:40 AM »
Yes, I am sure they are two separate adverts but both are a bit suspect to me.  The first one because, at the moment, they are making connections to a Veterinary surgeon that I cannot substantiate (and I did work there for five years), and the second one, because the more I investigate, the more adverts I come up with containing the same phone number and they relate to animals and children.

can't you do a bit of enquiring at the vets you worked at?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 22:34:10 PM »
The only thing I would ask the first person is waht is the charity name and number - she should know that if she is a volunteer, or at the very least be able to find it quickly. I can understand a rescue posting wanting homes, but not wanting cats to take in
Please spay your cat

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 11:10:45 AM »
Yes, I am sure they are two separate adverts but both are a bit suspect to me.  The first one because, at the moment, they are making connections to a Veterinary surgeon that I cannot substantiate (and I did work there for five years), and the second one, because the more I investigate, the more adverts I come up with containing the same phone number and they relate to animals and children.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
I think they are two separate people Lesley.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »
Well, I for one seem to have got a bit confused over some of these ads.

The first one that Debsymiller posted about is on the Guildford site and that is the one she received the e-mail from, saying that her father worked for Animed (where I used to work) and her mother is an RSPCA Inspector.  Went into my local Animed today, and spoke to my friend on Reception.  She is not aware of any new Equine Vet (they no longer have large animal vets there) who has a daughter who is rescuing cats and certainly not one who is married to an RSPCA Inspector.  I will take a copy of the e-mail reply in to her tonight as she would like to show it to one of the Senior Vets as it is not good if someone is using their name inappropriate, (if that is okay with your Debsymiller).

There is a very similar ad on the Portsmouth site, post number 29925868 that has a mobile number.  When you google the mobile number, it comes up with over 20 ads for different things, including kittens, dogs, both for sale and wanting them.  The really worrying thing for me is there are also adverts for childminding and babysitting :shocked:, some in Fareham, some in Southampton - that one definitely sounds a bit fishy and a bit scary if someone leaves their children in their care. :scared:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 07:37:53 AM »
From the Animed website:

"Tom Chamberlain left the Practice in March 2008 to join the Westpoint Practice, allowing us to concentrate on Small Animal and Equine work, all the farm work has been transferred to Westpoint although clients can still collect their medicines from Shedfield by prior arrangement."

Not sure that really helps!

It was Tom that I worked with.  Lovely chap but even then he thought I was a bit of a crazy cat lady, so can't imagine his daughter doing the same sort of thing as me, though I certainly don't go looking for kittens - I dread to think how many would be here if I did. :(

I am in the local Branch of Animed this morning so will do some investigating.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 22:14:32 PM »
From the Animed website:

"Tom Chamberlain left the Practice in March 2008 to join the Westpoint Practice, allowing us to concentrate on Small Animal and Equine work, all the farm work has been transferred to Westpoint although clients can still collect their medicines from Shedfield by prior arrangement."

Not sure that really helps!

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 21:38:49 PM »
I don't think this is the same phone number that Mark and I have been googling.  However, the only thing I would say is that I used to work for Animed vets, if it is the same one.  They no longer have a farm vet working for them, though the last one there did have a young daughter but she would only be about 14 now I think, and his wife definitely did not work for the RSPCA so I still think there is something fishy here.

The Vet I know I am sure would e-mail a reply to anyone with concerns and be happy to give his name to anyone who was worried. 

Also, although being a vet, he was not that much into small animals.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 20:51:55 PM »
I think to be honest that it's one of those situations where we'll never know if it's genuine or not. I'd like to hope that she is telling the truth and it's not just a money making scam- by the sounds of her e mail, I get the impression that she's had a lot of people expressing concern so hopefully she will rephrase her adverts if she is genuinely trying to do some good.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 20:27:48 PM »
From the reply I got I don't think she is a charity worker but rather a volunteer. From the discussion so far, I honestly cannot see anything to follow up on here.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 20:16:17 PM »
I think if they were a registered charity, they would be more transparent and would welcome people checking they are genuine. I think they would also tell you the registered charity number.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 20:12:56 PM »
Heres the reply i got -

hi ellie, i have had alot of emails from concerned people about our charity. we are a registered charity and kittens will be vet checked and treated for fleas and worms accordingly. all kittens are homed, to people who have been vetted before hand. we do not sell kittens on, nor do we harm them in anyway.

please dont think i am being rude in this email, just i have a lady harrassing me daily and her email arrived in the same format as hers.

sarah

I have replied and ask what happened next, do i take the kittens to her etc

I had no joy from the phone number that was meant to be Purely way

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 19:50:09 PM »
I wouldn't like to think that we were ganging up on someone who is trying to do some good.

I'd second that.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 19:49:24 PM »
Ah I see. Ok, well I'm going to desist from emailing this young woman, unless I get a reply that tells me its a concern.

As for the others, maybe we should consider, as Lesley stated, reporting these types of ads to Watchdog? It might not be their cup of tea as its not a consumer issue, unless the adverts are for pedigrees but in fact they are not peds. I can lobby an idea around some contacts and see if other programs like Dispatches might be interested? 

That would be great Ruth. It can't be genuine rescue - even the charities wouldn't offer to take animals in on that scale?

If it does get taken up, it would be good to point out that the charity that is supposed to prevent cruelty were not remotely interested in helping.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 19:43:02 PM »
I've had a couple of replies to my emails and can see nothing dodgy, either its a very good cover up or she's genuine. She made a point of explaining why she would not take kittens away from the mother before 8 weeks, and said that she works alongside a charity, which I presume to be the rspca as she says her mother is an rspca officer. She also said I would be welcome to visit her home. Its hard to know what to think, but I wouldn't like to think that we were ganging up on someone who is trying to do some good.

About the other one, I googled indigo cat paradise and they seem to have ads everywhere and very little information in any of them, that worries me a lot more.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 19:25:31 PM »
If you can get a location you can also report her to the council, if she's taking in and selling kittens/puppies then she needs a pet shop licence, even if she's doing it from home. 

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 19:22:04 PM »
Ah I see. Ok, well I'm going to desist from emailing this young woman, unless I get a reply that tells me its a concern.

As for the others, maybe we should consider, as Lesley stated, reporting these types of ads to Watchdog? It might not be their cup of tea as its not a consumer issue, unless the adverts are for pedigrees but in fact they are not peds. I can lobby an idea around some contacts and see if other programs like Dispatches might be interested? 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 19:18:47 PM »
No link between the two but just very worrying ads that the RSPCA won't investigate. I think there is something fishy going on.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 19:16:46 PM »
It looks like two different ads though? Is there a link between the one you just posted and the original poster of the tree ad?  I googling the name you posted I got a link for Purley in Surrey... Its a pretty large area, could be anyone, not necessarily the one I've been emailing?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 19:11:42 PM »
I'm concerned about this one Ruth - I just googled "Indigo cat paradise" and all these came up http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-acer&p=%22indigo%20cat%20paradise%22 but nothing for the so-called rescue itself. This is just the tip as they don't use that name in all the ads.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 19:08:05 PM »
Ok going to play devil's advocate. My own thoughts aside on this, I googled the email address and other than the ad originally posted in this thread, there is only one other, which kinda falls in line with the statement Debs got.  Even googling the phone number only a house clearance sale appears and the same 2 ads.  Nothing else appears.

Is everyone who's checked up on the poster, 100% sure that this is not a case of someone who is just young, possibly not as clued in?

I've received a reply to the email, but the poster is understandably wary (ill intent or not) of giving more info. And to be honest, reading her reply, even though not as forthcoming as I'd like, I can't really keep emailing if there really is no further proof this is a kitten/puppy farm. I have a report into the RSPCA ready to go if someone can direct me to the other ads and I'll be happy to give them that info too.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 18:13:09 PM »
Well I have got a reply...

"hello, i do understand your concern and i cant believe you would think so little of me. yes i sold two kittens which were my cats kittens, i rescued a stray who i thought was done but she was not. In my area there was alot of kittens being bought, well ones that were free and given to a snake to eat. i was advised to sell them so they went to good homes and didnt end up that way. i vetted every home that applied and they were fine, i still have contact with the owners of them. i dont understand why you have to check up on me, especially getting your collegue to email me as well. i am not harming any animal nor would i dream of doing that, i know there is some crule people out there but i am not one. so please stop trying to get stuff on me cos you wont find anything, my mother is an officer for our local rspca in stubbington and my father is a farm vet for animed.so i can assure you there is not a thing fishy here.

thank you again for you concern, but i will not be replying to anymore emails."

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 16:00:33 PM »
I googled the mobile number and got over 20 adverts for all things, cockers, shitz zhus, papillions, cavaliers and load of kittens - must be a kitten and puppy farm of some sort.  Is it worth bringing to the attention of Watchdog or anything.  I know Inside Out did the article on the puppy breeder who had been banned but was still selling puppies.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 16:35:19 PM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 15:43:31 PM »
If you google their mobile number, they also have Shihtzu pups for sale.

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
  • pipsqueak & cuscus (not in the picture)
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 14:40:05 PM »
I'm quite sure I've seen this or similar ad on www.kittenlist.co.uk for more than a year. I'm really worried that they have a kitten farm running all year round. of course I don't have any proof, but how on earth could they always have that many kittens (all colours, short&long haired)??? who are they?

''For Sale 12 Non-Pedigree Other
Available: (6 Male and 6 Female)
Colours: Most colours long and short coated
Date Available: Ready now all just over 8 weeks
Area: Greater London

Additional Information:
We now have all our new kittens ready, they have been wormed flead,and vet checked. They are all home reared, and this time very very pretty colours, long fluffy, or semi long or short coated babes. All our kittens are issued with 6 weeks full pet insurance as they leave us, issued by our vet,next door to us. You are also invited back a week or two after taking kitten home, to have the very important vacination done, and that is offered at a reduced price, although this is optional if you already have a vet. We offer lots of advice and supply kitten care sheets and information on looking after a kittie, especially if you have never owned one. We also have an excellent after care service that allows you to contact us at anytime. We are also trained and insured to micrichip your kitten,if required,at a reduced price. WE ARE NOT A RESCUE CENTRE, AND DO NOT ASK FOR ANY FORM OF ID. If you would like to know more you can contact us via telephone, as EMAILS do not get answered very often, thank you.
Posted on 14th Oct at 7:27 - Last Updated on 27th Oct at 6:16

Other: 0207 517 0450 07931957442'' 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 07:27:54 AM »
I rang their local CP who said that they couldn't do anything and I should phone the RSPCA

Sadly as you know that is true, we so not have the same powers as the RSPCA, if only,   :( so much more could and would be done.

Unfortunately, I know that is the case - sadly the ones that do have powers don't use them wisely. Surely anyone would realise that ads offering to take any kittens and pregnant cats can't possibly be kosher - especially when there are ads all over the place. Basically the RSPCA said if people want to take in kittens and sell them on, that is their business and not illegal. The woman said she would pass the details on and one of their inspectors would decide if it should be followed up - obviously it wasn't as there are more ads now than then  >:( - I hope they can sleep at night  >:( - It's so at odds with their propaganda ads

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »
gave the RSPCA their landline but they said only the police can trace an address from that.

Wish that was the case with my phone number.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 07:14:16 AM »
I rang their local CP who said that they couldn't do anything and I should phone the RSPCA

Sadly as you know that is true, we so not have the same powers as the RSPCA, if only,   :( so much more could and would be done.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 23:34:42 PM »
Thanks Michelle  :hug:

Might be good to get an address if you can. I gave the RSPCA their landline but they said only the police can trace an address from that.

They said they were somewhere else in Surrey the last time (Coulsdon) I rang their local CP who said that they couldn't do anything and I should phone the RSPCA. I phoned them and they said there was nothing in the ad to suggest there was anything unusual going on. They said if they were selling them on, it wasn't against the law - they were worse than useless.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 23:35:59 PM by Mark »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 23:19:17 PM »
there is an advert from them saying they are in Purley which is Croydon way -
there is a phone number so i will ring it tomorrow Mark

Link to CatChat