Author Topic: Hairball question!  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Hairball question!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 19:09:55 PM »
Oscar was the hairball king - at least one a week and ALWAYS on the only carpet in the house. I think longer haired cats are more prone to them - I await Gizzys first offering with bated breath! :evillaugh:

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 17:20:56 PM »
Xanthe (fluffy maine coon) leaves them all over the place  :sick: despite brushing, Binky (smooth haired Siamese) never left one.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 17:20:01 PM »
Mogs gets furballs quite a lot but Amber has only had 1 in the 9 years Ive had her and she doesnt go outside so its not that i dont see.
Then again Amber bounces food on a regular basis and Mogs doesnt so maybe its different digestions
Nice pic Mark although in my flat it tends to be in the night somewhere between me and the light switch  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 15:46:07 PM »
Nice pic Mark  :sick:

Mine do get fur balls regularly (they are persians).

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »
I think you are more likely to see them in the spring when they start moulting.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »
Memph has never had a hairball either. I too had wondered about hairballs .. I assumed all cats got them. Oh well, less for me to clean up.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
Star (who is long haired) gets them but the others don't really, Bluto our last cat started to get them as he got into old age, I guess everything slows down a bit like in people!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »
Thanks guys! I just realised this morning, as I was watching Jameson groom himself - all that licking of the fur and not one hairball in sight! Well I'm not complaining.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »
Clapton is rarely sick, The same with Alice - she was sick after grass for the first time (that I know of) yesterday. She usually passes grass and it makes her bleed sometimes. Willow is very short haired but she eats grass and throws up every day - she also licks plastic bags a lot - it's a big problem for her.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »
It may be that Jameson doesn't have a problem or he may be chucking them up outdoors  ;D  Long haired cats have more of a problem than short haired cats since they have more hair to ingest!  They all swallow some fur when they groom but it generally just passes out the other end.  If there's a lot of it, it may form a clump or knot of fur and get stuck somewhere.  That's when they're most likely to vomit them!  Jaffa has never had a problem with furrballs but both Mosi and Magpie before him (both long haired) have chucked them up regularly.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:50:42 AM »
It varies from cat to cat - if they get a build up, they sick up a sausage-shaped one  :sick:

Here's one Kylie made earlier  :evillaugh: (well a few months ago)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:34:34 AM »
Hmmm nice breakfast time conversation!  :sick: :rofl: :rofl: :evillaugh:

Didn't realise they did any from the back end.  Smudge used to eat grass to make himself sick and there would be lots of his fur in it, even though I brushed him regular and he was a smooth haired cat like your Max, Clare.

Bonnie is indoor and I've had her since December and she has never been sick and not seen any fur balls/hair ballls.  I've even started bringing grass in from my garden cos when I sit out in the back garden with her she loves to eat it.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »
In all the years I've had Max, I've only ever found 3 hairballs!!!!

I think they can come out of the other 'end' shall we say, so I reckon that's what my boy does  :evillaugh:

Jameson may just do them outside.... such a good boy to avoid you having to clean them up  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Hairball question!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »
I sometimes come across posts mentioning hairballs - and finding them in the house. I have never seen a hairball - and we've had J for about a year now. Do they cough up hairballs on regular basis, or just every now and then? Because if Jameson does, then he must be doing it outside.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Link to CatChat