Author Topic: Vaccinations?  (Read 7951 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Vaccinations?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 15:45:30 PM »
We have all our indoor cats vaccinated as cat flue is airborne and enteritis can be bought in  via our footwear. As FIV cats immune systems are already compromised we feel it gives them a better chance to fight off  problems should they get them.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 13:32:38 PM »
Hi Milly's mum

The scrumptious Biscuit is doing fine and dandy thank you  :Luv2: he's currently curled up fast asleep in one of the many beds here! He's looking really well, keeping the weight on, and keeping the other two in their places! He's still as snuggly as ever and going strong, which makes me very happy!

I know I'm biased but he is gorgeous!

x

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 14:01:31 PM »
Milly's Mum:

Hi, I have just posted pics on the Cats Gallery. Kofi (on the bed with Jeffrey) is 10+ and I adopted him from Animal Accident Rescue in Nottingham about a month ago. Sammy came to me from Tyneside via Cats Protection and Westways Vets. Jeffrey and MacGreggor are strays from my area that just decided to come and stay with me. These 4 are FIV+.  Stinky is my 11 year old that I brought down with me from Scotland 8 years ago. I have had her since she was a kitten. She tested negative 2 years ago and is probably still negative.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 19:37:14 PM »
Ooh you have just reminded me of the gorgeous Biscuit :drool; hows he doing?

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 19:03:02 PM »
Hi James,

Two of my current three are. Bobby was vaccinated when he came, so I've kept it up (he's 3 or 4 ish now). Buffy is about 7 and a half, she's vacc now, and I decided to keep those two up to date as I was fostering so it made sense. Biscuit the oldest one who was a failed foster  :evillaugh: isn't, he's healthy but due to his age I decided not to and also as I won't be fostering anymore while he's here he's less at risk. They do have access to an outdoor run, but the dogs tend to keep any extra cats away! Also Biscuit survived so long outside I'm guessing he's prob immune to most stuff anyway.

Thinking back I think all previous ones were vaccinated, Pussy Willow was an oldie but she was done, Ben was kept up to date after veing vacc by the rescue I got him from, not sure about Ted.....don't think so. Mitten defo was.

Another reason I had Buffy done was cos her and Ben had to go into a cattery at one point while I moved house. One of the fosters I had was vacc by the rescue before he came and I think he was done with the 'dead' version. Mine just have normal, but NOT FeLV.

However in saying all of that, if one of them was poorly for any reason around vacc time, I prob wouldn't have it renewed, just to be on the safe side.

Probably no use, but there you go!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 16:50:06 PM »
Moira, would love to see pics of your positive puds, sorry if i have missed them elsewhere!

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 13:41:29 PM »
On the advice of my vet I had my  young one vaccinated (2  yrs) but did not have my four older ones (10 & 11 yrs done as vet said it could 'tip them over the edge'. My cats have access to cat proofed garden.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 13:34:15 PM »
I do, for two two reasons-

One: I have a suspicion that neither of them are really positive- Chutney had it but her brother didnt (hmmm) and Mango was sooooo young when she had the test (which was not sent to Glasgow) that it was most likely antibodies from mums milk.

Two: I plan to move house and let them into an enclosed garden.

This may cause some reactions from other people though  :doh:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 13:31:33 PM »
I don't vaccinate Max, the vet said that even the 'dead' form of the virus could cause problems, depending on the state of the immune system at that time.

I've taken the view that he doesn't go outside, and doesn't come into contact with other cats.  I appreciate airborne viruses can come thorugh open windows, but its pretty slim I would have thought.

I do still flea and worm him though, just in case  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 13:29:28 PM »
Some vets say its more important to vaccinate FIV cats as they are more vunerable but others think its best not to overload the system, theres such conflict because no one really knows the answer! I know this doesnt help your query lol but if you trust your vet and James is well then that would suit me!

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
Vaccinations?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 13:19:54 PM »
Do most people get their FIV cats vaccinated? Vet said that Jack is an indoor cat, won't have contact with other cats and not to bother. They are very helpfull and said they would even take him into one of their quiet isolated runs if he needed cattery (hols etc.). He is almost certainly a carrier of cat flu, I thought a vaccination might make any 'flare ups' less severe. Vet thinks that the vaccine would probably make 'flare ups' worse.
Not really questioning vets advice - just wondered what other people do with their Fiv pals.  :)

Link to CatChat