Cat General > Cat welfare Issues and News

Was this person right?

<< < (3/3)

YogiDot:
Thanks sheilarose and Mymblesdaughter.  There was never any question that she would come to live with me, it was simply a matter of logistics to get her here.

I should have mentioned that it was one of the big nationals that this happened with, I'm sure that anyone here would have been a lot more helpful, even if they couldn't take her I'm sure good advice and suggestions would have been offered to the elderly lady standing in front of them trying to deal with the death of her son.

What really got me was the fact that it was a "no" twice. Once when the cat didn't have a home to go to (before I was contacted) and again when I said on the phone that I would come and get her asap but could she be looked after for a few days as we were worried about her grieving.

And what broke my heart was the state she was in when she eventually showed up again after being missing for a week after these events took place. Poor little girl was covered in scratches from fights, was thin as a rake, had stopped grooming and had bad diarrhoea. Fortunately she is healing now.

How could I forget piccies!

Mymblesdaughter:
Thank goodness you were able to look after her.

I sometimes wish rescues would just say they can't take any more cats and are full but not say just leave the cat outside.

This is why the RSPCA offer to put them to sleep, it's such a terrible situation with unwanted cats I really don't know what the answer is for rescues. Unless legislation is brought in to stop people breeding it's never ending. The mum cats and kittens always take priority as I suppose it's so difficult for them to live outside.

I'd have been really angry in your situation but I suppose they just don't have any room at all. Last year at the rescue I volunteered at they had cages of kittens in the hall and everwhere they could fit cages as well as 100 cats in pens. They literally have no room.   

sheilarose:
It does sound heartless, but Rescues need to gauge a situation on priorities: they knew you would come and could probably sense you would sort things out with the neighbour. In this situation, thankfully they were right and you, bless your lovely heart, came through for this little lady.  :Flowers:

I would feel aggrieved too, it's only natural  :( but if there simply was no more room at the Inn then the Rescue probably had no choice.  :-[

Find a little forgiveness, and accept my thanks on behalf of the mad cat people from Purrs for what has been a truly epic rescue on your part.

Well done.  :gold stars:

Erm, while we're about it...

:need pics:  :evillaugh:

YogiDot:
A close friend of mine recently died, at the other end of the country to me, leaving behind his much loved and well cared for 13 year old cat.

He had been in hospital for some time prior to his rather unexpected death and a neighbour had been caring for his cat both then and after his death.  A feral queen got in through the cat flap and had a kitten in the house, 2 days after his death the kitten was found, apparently abandoned in the house and in a very poor state.

When my friend's family arrived they discussed what to do about the kitten and the cat with the neighbour. Neither neighbour or family could take the cat because both had dogs who could not be trusted with cats.

They called a local rescue and someone came out with an incubator for the possibly 2 day old kitten but they refused to take the adult cat, saying that she would be fine living outside and cats had the right to roam.  There is a fed feral colony in the immediate vicinity but this poor girl had been a cherished pet for all of her life.  While this was actually happening the family called me and I asked them to ask the rescue person if the cat could be taken into care for a few days to give me time to get there and collect her. I offered to pay any expenses. This request was refused.  The kitten was taken off in an incubator and the adult girl was left behind. Fortunately the neighbour offered to continue feeding her until I got there.

After all the activity in what was normally a very peaceful, quiet house the poor girl promptly went missing for a week, possibly searching for her deceased human.

I did the 500 mile trip to collect her and she is living with me now and settling in well, poor girl was so desperate for a little love.

I know all rescues struggle, but I was incensed by this. This poor, grieving girl was to be left to fend for herself.

Am I wrong to feel so angry?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version