Author Topic: My new Ragdoll Kitten  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: My new Ragdoll Kitten
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2007, 13:46:24 PM »
Cheekee:

Please understand that it's not simply a case of sticking her in with any old boy when she's old enough. If you even get to that stage then you need to understand the lines that your girl has and the lines that the potential stud has, how they will combine and what sort of kittens combining those two lines and those two parents wil give.

Just because your kitten has 3 European Champions in her pedigree doesn't mean she's show/breed quality. My female's litter sister is far from show or breeding quality and obviously has exactly the same pedigree as my female.

You will need to join a cat club, become a registered breeder etc first before you can breed her anyway. No responsible stud owner will let you use their male if you are not a registered breeder and you'll be asked lots of questions about why you beed, why you want to use their stud etc and lots of questions about your girl before they will even consider agreeing to let you use their stud.

Calling is stressful for a cat and they often lose weight and condition through it. If you put her on the pill (if your vet will even agreee to put a cat on the pill) then she can get tumours, pyometra, diabetes etc and may never call again. If she calls very often then you may have to spay her anyway.

Insurance will cover absolutely nothing to do with calling, pyometra or anything pregnancy, birth or lactation related. If your girl needs an emergency c section in the middle of the night you have to pay for it yourself. Have you sat down and worked out all the costs of stud fees, 2 trips travelling to the stud etc, it's not cheap!

Breeding is very expensive and very stressful!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 13:50:52 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

ccmacey

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »
She is gorgeous, have you named her yet?

I would get her spayed though if this infection is more of a risk for the breed, and I couldnt cope with the crazyness when the cat is calling. Drives you mad and makes you think they are in pain. Better to loose it than use it if your not going to breed her.  :shy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2007, 10:39:16 AM »
it isn't about high horses Cheekee, but sadly there are too many kittens and cats in this world as it is. I personally dont have anything against breeders, despite doing rescue work, but only responsible ones, who are doing it to better the breed, not just to have one litter. i shared what I wrote about pyometra, in case people weren't aware it seems to be common in raggies, and I wouldn't want to you wait for 18 months and put your babie's life at risk.
Please spay your cat

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2007, 01:49:01 AM »
Thought this forum was about cats.

Not high horses.

Bless

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2007, 23:20:18 PM »
i was reading the 1st link lotty and ian ses " i,v got it , after all this time , you were a bateria that grew in your mothers womb  :( "

he has had a bottle o wine  :wow: and i have just told him i,v bought that massive cat tree off ebay

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2007, 23:15:22 PM »
all right smarty pants lotty  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i am crap  :rofl:

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2007, 23:14:20 PM »
i did reserch on pyometra cause was worried about mango getting it as she was calling every 2 wk and the vet would not spey her cause of her breathing difficulties and weight
thank god she has been done now

by the way if you want to have a read its under health and pyometra on the link ....i,m not very good on computers and can only get by lol

sorry gill i though you ment i didnt know what pyo was ....you know i dont like been critised  :rofl: x

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2007, 23:12:46 PM »
Chunkee: Some links on pyometra for you. Please read them very carefully.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/pyometra.html

http://www.pandecats.com/x/dr_little_pyo.htm
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2007, 23:09:19 PM »
Yes but dont think that Chunky will

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2007, 23:09:03 PM »

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2007, 23:03:46 PM »
i know what that is gill  :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2007, 23:00:24 PM »
Desley I think you will have to explain on this thread what pyo is  ;D

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2007, 14:12:43 PM »
i think some people get mixed up cause ragdolls take 4 yrs to get to full maturity but this is not in breeding its in size , colour , coat , they do mature and start calling from around 10 month
do u get what i meen  :shy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2007, 07:56:35 AM »
She is gorgeous, and I'm afraid I am with Susanne regarding breeding - if you are doing it just to have one litter and cos you want future bundles of fluff, please look into the ragdoll rescues. Also, in regards to not breeding her till 18 months old, this may not be an option, I was talking to a raggie breeder the other week, and she has heard of a lot of them getting pyo at early ages, i.e 8 month old, it could be a breed trait, or it could just be cos she only follows raggies.
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2007, 00:54:38 AM »
Cute!  :Luv:
What have you named her?

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2007, 23:36:39 PM »
And more

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2007, 22:49:07 PM »
if you are going to breed , join TBRCC or TPRC and they will give you lots of advice and if you attend the seminar then you will become a recognised breeder and they will give you a mentor
i dont know if you have spoke to them before but i have spoke to them and most breeders in my area and out and they have all be nice kind and helpfull

se really is lovely , well done

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2007, 22:48:49 PM »
Ok. thats fine. I will look into becoming registered.

Thank you

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2007, 22:47:17 PM »
Just one thing you may want to take on board before you continue...

If you are not a registered breeder with a governing body (GCCF, TICA, FB), any kittens that you breed cannot be registered as being of their particular breed. Therefore they cannot be shown or bred from in turn, and neither can their progeny. Showing and breeding requires a provable full five generation pedigree with no unregistered cats present in that pedigree.

Since any kittens you have will be unregistered, no matter if they decend from Champion stock, they will effectively be no better than moggies.

So unless you are prepared to register as a breeder, I would not recommend going ahead with letting your cat have a litter.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 22:45:45 PM »
she is beutifull  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

i want mine  :'(

did you want mitted the 1st kitten was mitted

i like colourpoints but desparatly wanted a blue mitted thats why i have had to waite and travel to scotland

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2007, 22:43:42 PM »
I want to be a good responsible loving breeder I really do.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2007, 22:42:11 PM »
Don't feel that we're knocking you.  It's just that there are so many bad breeders out there I'd really hate for you to become one of them.  I'm not against you breeding ragdolls, I just really want you to do it the right way and not rush into it.  They're a popular breed and as with all popular breeds you get the good breeders, the downright bad and a lot in between.  I fully support you becoming one of the good guys.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2007, 22:41:04 PM »
What attracted you to the Ragdoll as a breed, Munkee?

And yes, I'd love to see a pic of the wee darlin' too  :wow:

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2007, 22:39:55 PM »
Here she is. Was so difficult to keep her still. x

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 22:40:37 PM by cheekee_munkee »

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2007, 22:37:51 PM »
post ya picks monkey  :shy: i would like a look at her  :Luv:

problem is wi been on the internet , knowone knows what care we actually give , expierience we have , cleaness of houses as i have found from some breeders i have been to  :sick:, reasons for wanting to breed or show

we can just offer advice , sometimes it seems like some people may be criticle , i have been at the harsh side of the stick some time ago
people please offer advice and support and try to be kind  :Luv:

and all be friends and help   :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

p.s im not a peace and love hippee ...honest  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2007, 22:33:20 PM »
 ;D very true

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 22:32:22 PM »
Ok Maybe not crucify, but I do feel a bit like people are knocking me because of what I want to do.

Fair enough. I think your opinions are interesting and I can understand them. I have rescued cats myself and know they are as adorable as kittens.

I guess we are all entitled to our opinions. I guess also I have a lot to learn.

I have to accept that there are some that dissaprove with me. I guess thats life.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2007, 22:25:13 PM »
We dont crucify anyone but try to give them good advice and I see nothing on this thread crucifying anybody.

As this site was born out of one which is all about recue cats many do not approve of breeding more cats but especially not for the reason......I just want one litter.

We also have some people on here who are experts with pedigrees and some who show their cats and are fully up to speed about the standard of cat that one should use for breeding purposes if you are a registered breeder.

I dont think any of us approve a breeding for breedings sake and definately not by unregistered breeders.

I have 2 birmans and they have many champions in their lineage including a very famous grand champion but neither of them are good enough for show purposes and definately not for breeding.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2007, 22:10:31 PM »
Thankyou for youre comments.

I would never put poor quality cats for sale. I am not breeding just for the sake of it. This Kitten comes from one of 3 european champions. I would want to find a stud of excellent linage and do it for the love of the breed as well as getting my own raggie family.

I am just going to post pics and leave it at that now.

to any other peeps who wish to post here. Be careful what you say. You may get crucified.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2007, 22:09:23 PM »
here it is
http://www.trcs.org.uk/  i cant see info of the workshop but i know its on the 8th july and i think its in chorley

give bernard a ring from the membership page hes very helpfull

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2007, 22:07:12 PM »
http://www.tbrcc.co.uk/ look under semiars and then 2007

you have missed the may one ....so did i
it is in durham , i printed off the flyer and sent a cheuque they have recieved and and are sending tickets and directions soon so you still have plenty of time , im going wi mi hubby cause wont find it on mi own  :evillaugh: i cant remember but think it was about £10 each for the day

I was going to go to the one on the 8th july with the traditional ragdoll society but i am picking luna up the day before and wont leave her for a full day , the day after
did you go down the traditional route
it doesnt matter if you didnt you can still go if you want just have a look at there website hang on ill find it and post it

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007, 21:51:14 PM »
The point is she is beautiful and why shouldnt I be allowed to have one litter.

Im sorry but I wish her to have a litter when she is ready with a tested stud. As that wont be till she is at least 18 months old, I guess I have quite a lot of time to learn as much as I can.

If you'd like to show your girl, I'd really recommend giving it a go. First of all, showing is good fun and secondly you'll learn if she's of decent quality or not. Give her a few outings first and then see where she's at before you make any decisions.

If she doesn't do well on the show bench, I would not recommend breeding from her at all and would have her spayed. Putting poor quality cats up for sale does not do anything for the reputation not only of the breeders, but also of the breed itself. Breeding pedigree cats is an art at which many work years on to achieve the highest of standards - breeding for breeding's sake is frowned upon somewhat in the cat fancy.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 21:49:05 PM »
Well it's up to you if you want to breed her, but there are so many unwanted cats in rescues that breeding any cats is something that i would discourage most people from doing, regardless of whether the cat is pedigree or not.  Not everyone will agree with me, but I'm not opposed to breeding pedigree cats because reputable breeders do that for reasons other than they just want a litter, kittens are cute, their friends would like a kitten etc.  They do it because if they didn't some beautiful breeds would die out or be left in the hands of backyard breeders, and because they want to preserve and improve the breed.  They learn everything they can about the breed and the breed standard, they learn about genetics and hereditary diseases.  Then when they've acquired that knowledge, they consider breeding.  They do it for the love of the breed.  If those reasons are absent, then it just becomes a case of producing yet more kittens into a world where there are already so many without homes.  I'm afraid I can't support that, however beautiful the cat is.  If you said you were passionate about ragdolls and wanted to become a reputable breeder who contributed something to the breed, then I'd be happy for you.  But why do you want just one litter?  Do you think the health risks of not having her spayed are worth it for just one litter?

I know ragdolls are slow developers (not sure at what age they first come into heat) but bear in mind that every heat that comes and goes without her being mated poses a risk to her.  You may not be able to wait as long to mate her as you'd like.

Sorry if I've offended you.  These are just the questions that any good breeder should have asked you if you had asked for a breeding cat.  I'm not impressed with the breeder you bought this cat from.

Having said that, I do wish you luck and hope that everything goes well for you and your new kitty, whatever you decide to do.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 21:42:08 PM »
Thank you cosmic, I would love to go.

Please could you provide more details.

It sounds excellent.

Thanks again

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 21:31:52 PM »
there is a tech-in  semiar on the 14th oct with the british ragdoll cat club
you dont have to be a member of the club
it is a day course and it learns you , good husbandry , show details , genetics and just a chance to talk about ragdolls
i,m going i have already paid its not expensive and you will meet other breeders and get lots of info  , i think it would be good for you if you are interested in breeding to get it right

also there is one with the traditional cat society on the 8th july if you look on there website

what breeder did u go with

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 21:15:19 PM »
The point is she is beautiful and why shouldnt I be allowed to have one litter.

Im sorry but I wish her to have a litter when she is ready with a tested stud. As that wont be till she is at least 18 months old, I guess I have quite a lot of time to learn as much as I can.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 21:10:45 PM »
I'm glad you've got her home and that she's well and happy  ;D  Pictures are a must!

I don't doubt your experience with animals or your intentions, but I must urge you not to breed her.  Please get her spayed as soon as she's old enough.  Before anyone starts to breed a pedigree cat it's vital to spend time gaining knowledge and experience of that particular breed, and you only really get that by showing a neuter and mixing with other breeders.  And if you only want one litter and don't want to actually become a reputable pedigree breeder, then I don't really see the point tbh.

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 21:06:37 PM »
im pleased for you , you are really lucky i cant believe im still waiting  :evillaugh: i send emails to the breeder everyother day telling her to give luna a kiss for me ( i bet she thinks im mad  :evillaugh: )
she is a blue mitted thats why we called her luna like the moon
what colour is you kitten and what will you name her ?
i also chose her pedigree name

i hope she settles well let us know and post some picks
tell me how introductions go with your other cats , it took 2 wk wi moomin and mango and i had to separate for the 1st wk

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 20:48:12 PM »
I Have just got home with little one.

She is stunning. She ran to me when I met her and jumped on me and started purring and headbutting me.

She slept in the carrier on the way home and her temperment is wonderful.

I feel I did well now to find this kitten and that it has all turned out for the best.

I should have walked away from the other breeder because she did seem very odd to me.

I originally wanted a female raggie kitten primarily as a pet, but I wanted to have one litter of little raggies, so that meant allowing my new kitten to breed later in life. To do this even to breed once I need that pink sllip. I tried to talk to all the breeders I was in contact with and make it clear that I needed advice and that I would respect how they felt about allowing any potential kittens to breed. I made it clear that I only wanted to breed once and that it wasnt for financial gain. I know theres hardly anything in it and I would give my kittens the best food and care and spoil them so much I would probably go over budget anyway.

I have been looking for a suitable ragdoll kitten for a few weeks.  It turned out like buses. The kittens I came to know about all came at once.

I have learnt so much about the realities of breeding and what is required. So in the end I have chosen a kitten from a breeder who is happy for me to breed her and even allowed me to choose its name its registered with. I really only want to breed once and then have her done. She is so beautiful. I cant help but want more adorable bundles of fluff in the future. Since rescuing my 7 yr old bi colour linx raggie last year I have become addicted to Ragdolls.

I may not have anywhere near as much experience as some here, but I am passionate about my cats and animals in general. I didnt get her necessarily to show, but im glad she has possible show potential. In a way it shows she's a good un. I just want to give her and my other felines the best life I can.

Will try and post pics later.

Please dont take offence anyone but you need not worry. I have had cats all my life and I'm sure all will work out ok.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 21:08:26 PM by cheekee_munkee »

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 16:31:30 PM »
oh and pet ragdoll kittens are only £400 so you could save yourself a lot of money

i had to pay to get a show quality but you could save with the pet  :wow:

Link to CatChat