Author Topic: Would you take them both?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
Re: Would you take them both?
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 21:44:20 PM »
Awww Helen they are gorgeous  :Luv:

I would have taken both too as Widget is lost with one of the other cats around  :)

Muppet was just like Riley when he was younger, he still has the odd panting session after chasing the boys  :tired: It scared the life out of me the first time as he just lay down on the floor and his breathing was so rapid. Whisked him off to the vet who, once she had checked him over, said it was normal after lots of exertion  ;D

Love and cuddles to both the handsome wee chappies  :Luv:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 21:33:58 PM »
Helen they are just adorable :Luv: :Luv:

I've always wanted a Grey cat :Luv:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 17:55:18 PM »
Anyway... I don't think you should be allowed to post about the boys without including some nice pics...  :sneaky:

I hate doing it but if you insist  :innocent: 

Gwen

Vet basically siad to monitor him and if it continues then he will need an ECG and ultrasound, I'm not majorly worried as others have said their kittens/cats do the same thing but will see how he goes and have the tests done if it continues.

The ultimate 'thing in a bag' toy  :evillaugh:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 17:22:19 PM »
Helen just thought I'd say that our Peanut (who is now 9 yrs) has always panted after exertion since he was a kitten. It doesn't seem to bother him too much . He has been seen countless times by the vet and no problems found . he was the runt though lol. He has this year started to wheeze when he sleeps which worried me a bit but two differant vets could find nothing wrong even after chest xrays. Peanut has learnt not to dash about too long now . Economy of motion  :rofl:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 15:57:17 PM »
I would of voted for taking both too for support more than anything else.

What did the vet say Helen?
Love me,love my animals.

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 15:38:14 PM »
I know I'm too late to give any advice, but to be honest I think that only you, the boys' mum, could actually make an informed decision anyway... since you are the one who knows them best. Seems to have worked out ok anyway.

Poppy did the panting thing when I first got her (she was the first panting cat I'd had, so I was a bit concerned at first), when she'd been a bit over-ambitious with her excercise, but she grew out of it quite quickly. I know it's impossible not to worry about things, and you were right to see the vet, but I'm sure Riley'll be fine.

Anyway... I don't think you should be allowed to post about the boys without including some nice pics...  :sneaky:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 20:28:43 PM »
OO it was a vote! Should have put up a poll Helen  :evillaugh:

I'm glad the boys had a good trip. Fingers crossed Riley's panting is just as Susanne says.

:hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 18:16:47 PM »
I'm too late but I would have voted for taking them both given that they're young uns!  I did that once when Jaffa and Magpie were little as I thought it would be good for the one that didnt' need to go to get used to a trip out where nothing bad happened!

I hope the vet's set your mind at rest too.  Jaffa would pant after he'd been running around when he was a kitten and I asked the vet about it.  he said it was perfectly normal for them to pant after exertion.  Mosi is the same - he will race up and down the room playing and then pant.  I just stop the game for a while until he's got his breath back.  Although it's not normal for cats to pant like dogs, they are designed for short spurts of energy culminating in pouncing on their prey, so racing up and down the room after a toy is a lot of exercise for them and the lively ones often end up panting.  Wise to get it checked out by the vet though - better safe than sorry.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 17:54:40 PM »
Hope there's nothing too serious with the little man...........glad to hear that he went straight into your arms for comfort and protection  :Luv: you must be so proud of him/them  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 17:46:13 PM »
Both boys were angels getting into their carriers, meowed like crazy on the way there and back but I think I did the right thing taking them both.  Lucas was better this time than he was the last two so it might have done him some good and comforted Riley at the same time.

Worrying news at the vets though, she said his heartrate and temperature were normal (considering he'd been on a 10 minute car journey) and that she couldn't hear a murmur.  She asked how he was in himself and I explained that he is a picture of health in every sense apart from the panting.  She recommended I monitor him for a few days, if he stops doing it she said he might have had a low level chest infection but if he doesn't stop then he should have an ECG and an ultra sound  :scared:

He was really scared on the table and as soon as she had finished he jumped into my arms, pressed himself up against me and nuzzled me for the whole time I was talking to her.  She said 'Oooh, he loves him Mum doesn't he' - I was beaming with pride  :Luv:  Both of them are fast asleep cuddled up together now.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 16:50:23 PM »
I think if you have the facility to take two carriers without too much trouble, you should, just to see what trouble Lucas is going to be. Then, when he has to go, you'll know what preparations you need to make. If he makes too much fuss this time, you can change your mind even at the last minute, and leave him behind, but whatever you decide, you'll know you've done it for the right reason, for the cats' convenience rather than yours.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 16:47:31 PM »
Both boys packaged up in carriers... Leaving now!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 16:45:35 PM »
Hope it all goes well.

I can go off to PAH now - I couldn't leave til I knew  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 16:43:06 PM »
4 - 2  :evillaugh:

I was swayed towards not taking him and only got one carrier out, have frantically sprayed the second carrier with Feliway now as I think I'm gonna take them both now!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 16:35:07 PM »
And going in 2's is in the lead.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 16:33:39 PM »
I always take 2 together if it's going to make them feel any better.......I think it's possibly more stressful leaving one at home wondering where the others gone.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 16:33:27 PM »
Lets face it Helen, as far as cats are concerned whatever "one" does is the wrong thing in their eyes.  :evillaugh:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 16:31:58 PM »
I would take both Helen.

1)
It would be good for Lucas to make a trip to the vets when he is not actually being seen so he sees theres nothing to be afraid of - its just a big adventure.

2)
Riley will be less stressed in the carrier with his brother there

3)
Lucas would prob fret at home without his brother

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 16:25:45 PM »
PS half an hour or so on his own is lot better then half an hour or so stressed

Yeah, I guess you're right, I was worried about him realising Riley had gone and get all panicy as he can be quite needy  :scared: In the same breath I agree with Mark - Lucas being there might make it less stressful for Riley and it will also get him used to going in the car.  Oooh I'm so indecisive!

MBll

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 16:20:14 PM »
Aaaagh 2 -2 This is not helping! Thanks Mbll

Well put it another way ....if i was  lukey i would  demand to stay home.... vets are like dentists no one llikes going & i find that it streeses animals up to much

PS half an hour or so on his own is lot better then half an hour or so stressed
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 16:22:06 PM by MBll »

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 16:14:35 PM »
Sorry about the second  :rofl: it wasnt meant to be there - having another blonde moment !!
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 16:13:42 PM »
Aaaagh 2 -2 This is not helping! Thanks Mbll

MBll

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 16:12:29 PM »
My 2 went to the vets separately & when each got home the 1 at home didnt reject the 1 at the vet.  Theres not going to be any problems with the 1 thats  left at home ....if it was me Id leave lukey at home

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 16:07:43 PM »
We pick the babies up next Friday Helen, I cant wait  :rofl:  We have been over the see them a few times and they just seem to get more lovely.  OH is in the process of laying some decking in the back garden so that we can put a cat run outside for them, my little tabby girl Tiggy and our persian Amber will hopfully enjoy it too ?? (they have always been house cats) Roxy and Charlie go out anyway.

Good luck at the vets today, big hugs for your handsome boys xxx :rofl:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 16:01:57 PM »
Thanks guys

2 - 1  :evillaugh:  I leave at 16:45 so need to make my mind up, I think what I have to weigh up is will Lucas be more stressed by coming along or being separated from Riley...

I'm good thanks Sheryl  ;D  When's K day for you again?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 16:00:10 PM »
I think it would be best if you take them both in a few ways. 1, Lucas will have to get used to going to the vet anyway - if nothing is done to him this time, he will be less stressed the next time, 2 Riley will be less stressed, 3 It will save you worrying about Lucas at home alone (Riley might pick up on it)  ;D

Hope it all goes well and its just the heat - it is quite humid today
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 16:01:08 PM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 15:58:26 PM »
They have pretty good memories Helen. When Lexy goes to my sisters for a few days, and that has all sorts of smells  ;D she gets home with no problem and its as if she never left. I doubt Lucas would reject Riley if he smells like the vet. Maybe spray some Feliway around while you're gone? 

I wouldn't want to stress Lucas out so in your shoes would probably leave him behind for the short while you're out?

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 15:58:24 PM »
If it were me I think I would take them both for a bit of moral support, at least the Lukey will know where his brother is.

Hope you are well Helen
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Would you take them both?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 15:52:01 PM »
I'm taking Riley to the vets tonight, after he's been running around he pants.  I know this is not 'normal' in cats but that sometimes kittens pant when they've really over exerted themselves.  What with what happened to poor Tom I thought it best to get it checked out...

Anyway, that will mean leaving Lucas at home completely on his own.  They've never been separated before and I was wondering whether it might be an idea to take Lucas along for the ride too.  I don't want him to reject Riley when he comes back because he smells of the vet but equally I don't want to stress Lukey out by taking him (last time he did a poo in his carrier).

Do you think I should take Lukey with me too?  They go in separate carriers now but at least they'd sense each other being there.  What do you think?

Link to CatChat