Author Topic: Young cat rescued by kids today  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
Re: Young cat rescued by kids today
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 13:49:22 PM »
Yes nice to see kids helping cats although it can get them into trouble sometimes as my daughter found out as she had noticed a kitten around 3 months old on her school field and panicking for the kittens safety as there were 2 main roads that run at the side of the school she scooped it up put it in her rucksack and brought it home.  When she got back to school the teachers were telling her off and she ended up on report for leaving school for a month.  Obviously I did intervene when she came home that evening and told me that she was on report and why.

Hence the school then had red faces as took it to the education board after no satisfaction from the school who at the time was running a programme about being responsible pet owners and proper care of animals, they had various organisations going in and having talks to the children about animals and how they should be cared for.  This is a daughter that all she has known is mum fostering animals from before she was born.

More embarrassing was a week later when the organisation I was with was there giving a talk as I was asked to do it at last minute due to the person who normally did it falling ill and I took pictures of the kitten into the school with me and discussed what pupils would do if they saw a kitten so young on the school field.  Oh and with the teachers being there they were also asked, yes my daughter was one of the pupils getting the talk and got her to come up and tell what she did and why and how the kitten was doing and what care goes into looking after a kitten or rescue cat.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Young cat rescued by kids today
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 19:22:37 PM »
At least this time  :tired:

When we went out for lunch around midday, I was still looking for keys etc and OH said he would wait outside. When I went out a few minutes later, OH was coming down the street holding a very young cat/olde kitten and was trailed by 3 boys of about 10 years old. The cat was passed to me (luckily not a struggler  :Luv2: ) I asked what was going on and one of the boys said they said hello to it in the car park and it kept following them through the alleyway that leads to the high st  :scared: - he said that they tried putting it back but it kept following them - then it got stuck in the bushes. He said he had to break some of the branches to get it out and it was still following them. He said "I love animals so I didn't want it to get run over  :) - he said I love cats and I would have kept it but my dad hates cats so I can't" - he said they were talking it to the vet next door to me to see if anyone had reported it as lost. I went into the vets followed by the kids and relayed the story. The receptionist said "What do you expect us to do? - it isn't ill or injured so you will have to put it back" - a younf VN was there and she said she would scan for a chip - there wasn't one so she handed it back to me. I said I knew that the people in a house opposite the car park had cats and let them out so we went round there. The owner said he did have a b/w cat but it wasn't his. He pointed at a house further along and said ask that man outside as he is a cat person. I asked him and he said there were 2 and they belonged to the woman in the flat above him (they are houses split into 2 flats) he said she always puts them out in the morning before work. Much to OHs embarrassment, I call her a few choice names and said she wanted her head looking at letting cats out near roads. He agreed. He said his cat has never been out as he has seen and heard of too many tragedies. I don't know how but he said he would be able to put the cat inside and close the window (not sure how you would do that with an upstairs flat) he said he would have a word with her but doubted anything would change  :(

Although it is a side street, it has 2 car parks and the bingo car park. It is also a rat run that people cut through to the beach.

It just astounds me - a couple of years ago I was driving along the same road at dusk and had to stop as there was a cat in the middle of the road playing with a mouse or vole. If I was going as fast as a lot of people do, it probably would have been killed - it was totally oblivious.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat