Author Topic: Help/advice please!  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Yvie

• Adult Cat
  • Pepper
Re: Help/advice please!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 21:02:43 PM »
Thank you all so  much for your help and advice.  :thanks:I've passed it all on to my friends. I think it's a gamble whatever is decided. :Crazy:
I'll let you know how it goes.
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime.
Mark Twain.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 20:13:49 PM »
We trapped Miss gracie aged 15 and Matriarch of her colony in June 2005, she has in her time with us moved house 150 miles and a complete new home - she also went awol in the great escape - always check window locks - she came home after 5 days as the food was scarce - only 12 bowls out side at that time, got her own chair in our bedroom, stated to seek us out this from a wily feral old girl who loves her food and is now an old dribble chops - they can adapt and Gracie is a house cat by our choice and will given some more time probably get her indoor/outdoor rights.

We used a mixture of compost and wood based pellets when training for the litter tray she mastered this in a couple of days and has never looked back - she also loves her food a bit to much but our vet said she was hale and hearty and to avoid stressing her just let her be so we do and she is our old dribble chops so it can be dome she now looks like a tortie maiden aunt and is a joy we also have her son Ace he is nearly 4 and feisty but coming on and two boys no mistaking theri family one tabby and white and one black and white Boston and Dallas both longhairs like great grandma Gracie!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 19:32:58 PM »
I'd take her and if she is desperately unhappy being shut in the house i would put her in a run as a temp basis till they get her settled in her new farm. 

if he is a farmer i am sure they could buy a wooden shed and make a run like my hubby is doing or they could just buy pre made like this one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 19:25:04 PM »
Very hard but as she is obviously missing them i would take her to the house and wait till the new farm comes through.

It will not be easy maybe but if they care about the cat I think this is the best way.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 15:23:35 PM »
Tricky one, as they will have to keep her in the rented house till the purchase of the new farm goes through, and that might be tough on an 18yo. But, you dont know what the new owners are going to be like either.
Please spay your cat

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 15:18:22 PM »
I also think they should take the cat with them
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 15:16:57 PM »
My head tell me on thing and my heart another, at 18 it would be nice to think she can spend the time where she enjoys, yet will she have any time to enjoy if she is left another week and then does not take to the newbies. If she does she would just be getting used to them and then  have to go to another home.  Very difficult, I think I would take her to the new place and keep her contained and also contained for a couple of months after the move.  Even older cats do settle remarkably well in new surroundings. I would also have her Microchipped if not already done.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 15:12:33 PM »
My gut feeling is the same as yours Yvie ..... take the cat with them.  But i'm sure there will be someone who can give better advice.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Yvie

• Adult Cat
  • Pepper
Help/advice please!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 14:57:16 PM »
I have a some friends who have just completed the sale of their farm. When they moved into the farm some 8 years ago there was a semi-feral cat that lived in the barn. This cat disappeared for 6 months after they moved in, then reappeared and took up residence once again in the barn. Since that time the cat has slowly become more friendly, both to the humans, and the humans' dogs. She's never become a 'house' cat though.

The purchase of their new farm won't be completed for a couple of months and so they have rented a house in the meantime, and moved in last Tuesday. They left the cat in the barn with the idea that the incoming people would look after her until their final move was complete, and then they would take her to her new home.
The new people don't move in until next week - so my friends have been going back to the farm daily to feed her and check all is OK. One of my friends was so upset as he said she was by the back door of the house looking all lost and forlorn. He's also worried that she might do a disappearing act when the new people move in, just like she did with them.

His partner says it's not fair to take her to the house as she's not a house cat, he's worried she will try and get out of the garden, get run over etc etc......and she should be left where she is. She's about 18 years old by the way. What a dilemma! They asked me my advice as they think I'm a 'cat expert'!! My gut feeling was to take the cat with me wherever I went, and she'd just have to be shut in the house until the next move, but then is that me being selfish? What's best for the cat??

Any ideas most gratefull received!! Thanks.
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime.
Mark Twain.

Link to CatChat