Author Topic: Ruby may be pregnant  (Read 7819 times)

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
Re: Ruby may be pregnant
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2010, 17:02:31 PM »
My cousin doesn't know yet but my sister isn't looking to make money from the kittens so I don't think she would have a massive issue with it.

:shocked: Responsible breeders don't put kittens on the non-active register for monetary reasons! I'd be amazed/horrified if your cousin doesn't have an issue with it. Family or not, and regardless of whether your sister was selling the kittens or giving them away for free, I'd be going absolutely ballistic if I was your cousin and found that Azzy had been bred from. 

Is your sister aware that Maine Coons can be affected by various nasty health problems such as HCM, spinal muscular atrophy, PKD etc (which responsible registered breeders will test their cats for). For example a breeder may sell a kitten who carries for SMA on the non active register ie not to be bred from. As the cat only carries for SMA it will not affect the cat at all and it will live a normal life. If however someone ignores the fact that the cat is registered as not to be bred from and breeds from this cat and breeds it to another cat who carries SMA then on average 25% of the kittens born will have SMA. However you may get a litter where every single kitten has SMA.

As JS said, let us know how Ruby is doing when you know  :hug:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 16:51:47 PM »
Lindsey, let us know how Ruby's doing when you know. Trying to encourage your sister is all you can do unless you forcibly remove her cats and get them spayed and neutered.....and that's not really all that practical. Family can be tough to deal with sometimes. :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 15:14:08 PM »
Ahhh I hadn't read the original thread. It seems one of the things that concerned me (other than the obvious Ruby being pregnant bit) is in fact the case having read your original post.

"as she signed a contract not to because Azzy was sold not to be bred with...."

Does your cousin know yet that Ruby is still not neutered and that Azzy is now being bred from??  Your sister is now in breach of contract and your cousin could take legal action against her and repossess Azzy (if repossession is stated in the contract) which I am sure is not what your sister wants to happen.

Apparantly, she never signed a contract but thats the terms my cousin usually uses, I think it was just mentioned to her. My cousin doesn't know yet but my sister isn't looking to make money from the kittens so I don't think she would have a massive issue with it.

oh well thats all right then, phew

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 15:09:11 PM »
Ahhh I hadn't read the original thread. It seems one of the things that concerned me (other than the obvious Ruby being pregnant bit) is in fact the case having read your original post.

Does your cousin know yet that Ruby is still not neutered and that Azzy is now being bred from??  Your sister is now in breach of contract and your cousin could take legal action against her and repossess Azzy (if repossession is stated in the contract) which I am sure is not what your sister wants to happen.

Apparantly, she never signed a contract but thats the terms my cousin usually uses, I think it was just mentioned to her. My cousin doesn't know yet but my sister isn't looking to make money from the kittens so I don't think she would have a massive issue with it.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 14:18:57 PM »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 14:23:07 PM by Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's) »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Senior Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »
Just caught up with this again and am in sheer disbelief at the unpleasantness.

Time for it to stop.

Lindsey I can appreciated you needed to sound off by people who understand. Your post should have been clearer and you should have said you were asking for advise instead of leaving us to guess what you wanted.
Venom ------ humbug
competion on most owned/rehomed, most experienced ----------- rubbish no rescuer said any of this.

I'm sorry my post wasn't clear enough but at the time I was angry and frustrated and didn't really know what response I wanted/expecting.....my leaving it up to guessing wasn't intentional. I will definately be more careful in the future because to be honest, the way this thread has turned out has really quite upset me. Feel free to delete/lock the thread because its just not worth all the aggro.

Mine neither; I've shared my home with cats for 15 odd years and have never had a litter of kittens by any of them. But then, neither has Lindsey. She isn't trying to upset anyone; she herself is upset and frustrated and needed to let it out somewhere she felt would understand.

Has Ruby been to the vets yet, Lindsey?

I'm not sure, I'm going to speak to my sister tonight to find out whats going on.

Lindsey (and I'm sure many others on here) just wanted to off-load, to people she thought would show a little compassion and understanding

Thats basically it yes.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 12:18:36 PM »
Just for the record, Lindsey has posted about this before and was providing an update as much as anything.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,33755.msg601356.html#msg601356

It does sound as though this is what your sister wanted all along, Lindsey, and that the excuse about the anaesthetic was just a cover up.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »

I just thought some comments were unfair...

which one's?  feel free to pm.

Can I speak for everyone and draw a line under the unpleasantness??  :shy:
what unpleasantness ? have I missed a post - must re read.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:41:26 AM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »
, please don't make it harder by having a go at me.

no one is having a go at you. How can they be it is not your fault and not your decision.

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »

Time for it to stop.

I agree. It was not my intention to cause any trouble, I just thought some comments were unfair...

Can I speak for everyone and draw a line under the unpleasantness??  :shy:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
Just caught up with this again and am in sheer disbelief at the unpleasantness.

Time for it to stop.

Lindsey I can appreciated you needed to sound off by people who understand. Your post should have been clearer and you should have said you were asking for advise instead of leaving us to guess what you wanted.
Venom ------ humbug
competion on most owned/rehomed, most experienced ----------- rubbish no rescuer said any of this.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »

Lets just let it go...  ;)

thought i was by not commenting on your post :rofl:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »

Lindsey (and I'm sure many others on here) just wanted to off-load, to people she thought would show a little compassion and understanding

boy the things I could say........ :rofl:

Lets just put the claws away and play nice...There really is no need for anyone to be catty (pardon the pun  :rofl:) and to be fair, what will it achieve?

Lets just let it go...  ;)

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »

boy the things I could say........ :rofl:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
Mine neither; I've shared my home with cats for 15 odd years and have never had a litter of kittens by any of them. But then, neither has Lindsey. She isn't trying to upset anyone; she herself is upset and frustrated and needed to let it out somewhere she felt would understand.

Exactly! It's not a competition on who has the longest amount of experience or how many cats they've owned/rehomed.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 10:37:52 AM »

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 09:04:33 AM »
I'm sorry Angie, but I dont see this as a BSB - unless of course she doesn't get her neutered after this litter, but one litter doesn't make someone a BSB.

not even going to bother to defend myself as I said I have said my piece. Just to add in my 40+ years of cat ownership with multiple cats not a one of them ever got pregnant - accidentally or otherwise.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:20 AM »
I'm sorry Angie, but I dont see this as a BSB - unless of course she doesn't get her neutered after this litter, but one litter doesn't make someone a BSB.
Please spay your cat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 20:32:42 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean to come across as shouting at you Lindsey I'm just really cross at the situation. It does seem very deliberate on your sisters behalf though as it is obvious that if you leave a female with a 10 month old unneutered male she will get pregnant at some point and if your sister carries on 'being worried' about the anaesthetic poor Ruby will be constantly pregnant!  :(

Do you think your sister would go and speak to the vet to be reassured about Ruby having an anaesthetic?

Do you know what Azzy's pedigree name is by any chance?

When is your sister taking Ruby to the vet? Advise her to have an ultrasound done if possible to confirm if Ruby is or is not pregnant as vets can get it wrong just by palpating a cat.

Thats ok  :shy:

It does seem very deliberate, but I think her OH had a hand in it too (Ruby is more his cat) The way he is acting at the prospect of her being pregnant is like hes been told hes going to be a dad himself! The way my sister has acted through all of this has been that she doesn't want to deal with the issue (I have never got a straight answer out of her regarding this issue) Its like she almost just wanted to pretend it wasn't going to happen but actually wanted it to.....if that makes sense?
I found out about the possible pregnancy only yesterday and I said to her, 'If she is pregnant, are you going to get her spayed after the birth' and I actually got a 'Oh yes definatley'. Which leads me to believe she wanted her to have one litter before she got her spayed.
Theres no way she would let her have litter after litter, I'm pretty certain of that. I don't know if I believe the story about the worrying about anaesthetic thing anymore, it may be a half truth - as she knows how strongly I feel about breeding in general. As shes only been putting off the inevitable because she knows shes got to get them neutered eventually.

I don't know Azzy's pedigree name but he came from my cousin  :tired:

My sister's OH will be taking Ruby to the vets sometime this week hopefully - I will advise an ultrasound.

while I don't think anyone was attacking Lindsey personally, a post like this really can only have one kind of response.

It really did feel that way though  :scared: & I'm not being rude or trying to make things worse but I never intended this thread to cause so much uproar, I wish i'd never started it now.

I remember Lindsey posting before about this and if I could have bet this would have happened I would. Not your fault Lindsey - What a shame some people are allowed animals tho!  :Crazy:

I know it was inevitable, I can't say I'm surprised. I would just like to point out that my sister may be being selfish, irresponsible and somewhat ignorant, but shes not a bad person and apart from not getting them neutered, Ruby and Azzy are very well looked after and much loved cats.

Lindsey, having had friends in the past be really slack with neutering and spaying I can completely sympathise with your frustration. (One housemate I had years ago got a kitten and spent most of her time at her boyfriends.....the kitten got neutered while she wasn't at home. I paid for it, and ensured the little guy wasn't fed before and nursed after. I cried when she eventually took him to her mums because her "mum had decided she wants a cat." :-:)

Talk to your sister about how many animals DON'T have bad reactions to anaesthetic. Explain to her that she can look up statistics; and tell her to check out the rescue statistics too - even for pedigrees.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. :hug:

Thanks, you've made me feel a bit better.  :thanks:

I am going to pass on most of the advice offered but If I basically 'attack' her, its not going to help because she will just end up ignoring me further.

Sorry for the really long reply

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 20:01:08 PM »
Lindsey, having had friends in the past be really slack with neutering and spaying I can completely sympathise with your frustration. (One housemate I had years ago got a kitten and spent most of her time at her boyfriends.....the kitten got neutered while she wasn't at home. I paid for it, and ensured the little guy wasn't fed before and nursed after. I cried when she eventually took him to her mums because her "mum had decided she wants a cat." :-:)

Talk to your sister about how many animals DON'T have bad reactions to anaesthetic. Explain to her that she can look up statistics; and tell her to check out the rescue statistics too - even for pedigrees.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. :hug:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 19:07:49 PM »
I remember Lindsey posting before about this and if I could have bet this would have happened I would. Not your fault Lindsey - What a shame some people are allowed animals tho!  :Crazy:

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 18:39:56 PM »
All I was trying to point out it depends on how far into the pregnancy the cat is and the age of the cat.  Ok first trimester would be fine to abort but can do real damage emotionally and mentally to an animal in the last trimester.

My youngest female was due to an irresponsible person breeding litter after litter from the mother, was rehomed to an unsuitable home and the one where she was sent at 4 weeks old who was my next door neighbour wondered why after 13 weeks of being shut in a bathroom with only company when her litter tray was changed and she was fed and watered or they took a bath or shower why she was attacking and they could not control her.  Yes when I took her on at 17 weeks old on a thursday night left it until the monday and then phoned the vet to get her booked in at the earliest that they would spay her with me having a 10 week old male and whilst on the phone also got him booked in for neutering at the earliest age they would do him.

Ok this is because I have fostered for many years and have received numerous calls from people who had people saying they would have kittens and then let them down after the kittens were born.  My youngest cat Domino I acquired this way as I left my name and telephone number in case the owner of them was let down and needed a home for one of the male cats.  This was less than 6 months after I had lost one of my cats aged 4 years old to Lymphoma and was looking for another male cat, had registered with rescues in the local area also for a male kitten.

As for the owner of Domino's mother she inherited the cat about 2 days before Domino was born as her grandmother had died.  The day I got the phone call she had just got back from picking up the mother from the vets after getting her spayed, and she was let down by family members as she was refusing to let them go until they were 10 weeks of age.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 17:36:10 PM »
Well said Hayley
Sorry Lindsey this thread has been a bit heavy handed in places.  I realise that there is little that you can do as Ruby is not your cat.  I too would not abort kittens it is just something that I could not do.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 16:36:18 PM »
while I don't think anyone was attacking Lindsey personally, a post like this really can only have one kind of response. 

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 16:22:10 PM »
Back Street Breeder.

Nicky

Ahhhhh.... thanks!  :shy:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 16:16:28 PM »
Back Street Breeder.

Nicky

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2010, 16:14:07 PM »

The ladies that work in rescue on here do, rightly so, get very upset with BSB because they end up picking up the pieces. (This should be with ALL breeding not just BSB though)

Apologies for my ignorance - what's BSB??  :shy:

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 16:02:17 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean to come across as shouting at you Lindsey I'm just really cross at the situation. It does seem very deliberate on your sisters behalf though as it is obvious that if you leave a female with a 10 month old unneutered male she will get pregnant at some point and if your sister carries on 'being worried' about the anaesthetic poor Ruby will be constantly pregnant!  :(

Do you think your sister would go and speak to the vet to be reassured about Ruby having an anaesthetic?

Do you know what Azzy's pedigree name is by any chance?

When is your sister taking Ruby to the vet? Advise her to have an ultrasound done if possible to confirm if Ruby is or is not pregnant as vets can get it wrong just by palpating a cat.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 15:59:07 PM »
Ruby being pregnant ISN'T your fault  :hug:
People aren't directly having ago at you, its more the situation.

The ladies that work in rescue on here do, rightly so, get very upset with BSB because they end up picking up the pieces. (This should be with ALL breeding not just BSB though)

There's nothing that can be done now (unless your Sister decides to abort, which would be her choice)

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 15:42:15 PM »
I really feel like i'm getting shouted at here!  :-[
I will just point out that I did all I could apart from catnapping them to get them neutered!
I understand some people are quite angry at the situation, I'm angry myself but i'm finding some of the posts quite hostile.  :(
I started this thread to get the frustration of the situation off my chest, I wasn't looking for congratulations at all as, like I've said, I tried my best to stop this from happening. But like Michelle said, I don't agree with spaying while pregnant and that is just my opinion. I suppose some advice on how to cope with a pregnant cat/new born kittens would have been more welcome.
I know my sister has been irresponsible, theres no doubt about that, and i've fallen out with her about it on several occasions, but what more can I do?! Its like talking to a brick wall.
Hopefully there won't be any complications due to the size of the kittens as Ruby is larger than the average cat anyway as she is a Maine Coon cross. Azzy is 10 months old.
I will just reiterate that I have no control of decisions made by my sister, these are not my cats.
I didn't want to get anyones backs up, i'm just stuck in a difficult situation, please don't make it harder by having a go at me.

You shouldn't be made to feel responsible. You can't force your sister (or anyone for that matter) to act a certain way so I agree that people should ease off with the venom. Please people, this site is not a place to get on your soap box and make people feel crap.

It's Lindsey's sister that needs educating, not Lindsey herself!

All of us on here want the best for the cats of this world. Some are just better at achieving it than others  :-:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 15:58:01 PM by KookyPoss »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 15:35:27 PM »
it can't be shock to her that an unneutered male and female living in the same home make babies can it??

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 15:22:58 PM »
I really feel like i'm getting shouted at here!  :-[
I will just point out that I did all I could apart from catnapping them to get them neutered!
I understand some people are quite angry at the situation, I'm angry myself but i'm finding some of the posts quite hostile.  :(
I started this thread to get the frustration of the situation off my chest, I wasn't looking for congratulations at all as, like I've said, I tried my best to stop this from happening. But like Michelle said, I don't agree with spaying while pregnant and that is just my opinion. I suppose some advice on how to cope with a pregnant cat/new born kittens would have been more welcome.
I know my sister has been irresponsible, theres no doubt about that, and i've fallen out with her about it on several occasions, but what more can I do?! Its like talking to a brick wall.
Hopefully there won't be any complications due to the size of the kittens as Ruby is larger than the average cat anyway as she is a Maine Coon cross. Azzy is 10 months old.
I will just reiterate that I have no control of decisions made by my sister, these are not my cats.
I didn't want to get anyones backs up, i'm just stuck in a difficult situation, please don't make it harder by having a go at me.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 13:45:55 PM »
How old is Azzy?

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 13:24:56 PM »
If she was only in heat 3 weeks ago please get her spayed.

One thing I will point out, large breed kittens are usually a fair amount bigger than 'average' kittens.

Potentially big kittens + average size Mum = high potential for problems!!

Is your sister prepared that she may have to handrear the entire litter if Mum doesn't want to know or can't look after them and all that handrearing entails?

As well as all the extra food, litter, vaccinations, worming, flea treatment, vet bills etc there is also the not inconsiderable expense of the extra heating required for kittens born in the winter.

At least she has a few homes (family and friends) lined up for them and has said that any that she can't home, she will keep (lets just hope she gets the kittens neutered!) 

Right so if the cat has 8 kittens and she can only find homes for 2 of them she'll be keeping the other 6 kittens as well as her existing cats will she? It's all very well family and friends saying 'ooo yes we will have a kitten' but it is usually a different story once the kittens arrive.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 13:23:50 PM »
Now congratulations here either BUT also don't agree with spaying her while pregnant (just my opinion)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 12:59:20 PM »
Well Im sorry but there will be no congratulations from me!
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:46 PM »
Accidentally got pregnant - knows the dad - her main Coone !

sorry its BSB, there is no other term for it.

That means that somewhere down the line there are 4 or 5 more cats for one of us rescues to take in.......

It really does make me sick.

Now Angie be gentle , my take on this thread was that a few congratulations were expected rather than the wrath of us rescues.It is obvious advice is not required at this stage.

I was being gentle - said my piece and thats it >:(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 13:01:09 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »

That means that somewhere down the line there are 4 or 5 more cats for one of us rescues to take in.......

Now Angie be gentle , my take on this thread was that a few congratulations were expected rather than the wrath of us rescues.It is obvious advice is not required at this stage.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »

Link to CatChat