Author Topic: Knitting anyone???????????????????  (Read 7527 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Knitting anyone???????????????????
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2009, 14:29:04 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
    • www.ilovehernebay.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 18:36:43 PM »
My husband likes me to run my knitting needles though his hair like the nit lady did at school  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

:summer 2 :  :-[ :-[ :-[

Dont tell everyone or they'll all be stealing our knitting needles :naughty: :hug:

When I was at school they used a fine comb to yank through your hair. Bit like a flea comb.
But.... :-[ I got them when I was 16 and they where huge!!!
More like fruit flies than knitts (excuse the terrible pun)
My parents had just burnt an old wardrobe from my bedroom as it had woodworm. So I went to the chemist and asked
what I could buy to get rid of woodlice.  :-[I was mortified  :Crazy:
Run wild out on the edge of time Flump
Carry you dreams away love
For you are an island

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 15:08:50 PM »
My husband likes me to run my knitting needles though his hair like the nit lady did at school  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 13:42:37 PM »
It is done.........
its actually 16 x 15 1/2" which is quite bemuddling as I measured it twice.
But Iv yet to meet a perdycat that can use a tape measure.

:nice cuppa:
For you are an island

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 14:34:39 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I could find a new use for my knitting needles....husband prodding!

Im using DK and I have 90 stitches by too many rows for me to count.
The Cheque sounds great, do you just carry the colours across the back. I havnt been that brave yet.
Im just going to get some of that soft feeling crafty poplin.
I found a website that sells it by the m. Its so expensive at fabric stores. The ones nr hear sell it by the 1/4 for patchwork and it ends up being about £8 a m. :Crazy:

This is the shop in Harrogate. Wish I was nearer.http://www.remnanthouse.co.uk/

Will have to go now as my ickle one will wake up soon x
For you are an island

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 14:33:07 PM »
We bought some blankets at the Rhodes Minnis open day in the summer. They were really nice but they priced them at 50p each  :Crazy: - OH took 3 and gave her £5 but still felt guilty given the time and effort that must have gone into them.

btw - if you haven't been, Rhodes Minnis open day is great - quite a long wait though as it is in July. I met Liz Smith (Gran in the Royle family etc) there last summer as she is the patron. She was too ill to go this year.

btw, I have found yet another "blanket" - Tesco value hand towels are really small and only 66p but make perfect "blankets" - especially for kitties like Alice who like eating in bed  :evillaugh: - it's not unusual to change her blanket 2 or 3 times a day  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 14:38:27 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 14:21:02 PM »
I love knitting, and have just started my first blanket, and plan to do more and donate them to rescues.

I'm not that fast and Milo often tries to help me as well  :sneaky: :evillaugh: which isn't really help.

Hi Leanne

Are you backing your blankets? Also are you using chunky or DK or something else? Im using my left over DK wool/small acyrilc mix.
Would like some more ideas really.

Hi

I'm just using DK, doing squares 30 stitches by 30 rows.

I hadn't thought about backing it to be honest, might be an idea though, its going to be green and pink chequered.

Mind you' i've not done any for a couple of weeks

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 14:03:00 PM »

At least Iv used a ball of odd wool. Only about 200 to go.

Well that would be £200!  :wow: :evillaugh: We dont expect you to do that many though!  :rofl:

I will pay more than a £1 without even seeing it, so tell OH to stick that in his pipe and smoke it!  :heeee heeee: :hug:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 13:54:58 PM »
It looks...........well.......................um sort of very home made.
At least Iv used a ball of odd wool. Only about 200 to go.

My hubby said that i might get £1 for it. :'(
And there would be this discerning perdycat looking at it in distaine thinking what a load of old toffee.
Refusing to sit on it point blank......
Husbands can be highly irritating at times :)
For you are an island

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 13:41:42 PM »
Have almost finished knitting my first cat blanket square in heather pink :-[ :-[ :-[
 Im just going to line this one.Thought maybe poplin.
Cant see anyone bidding on it.

You would be surprised!  :wow: :hug:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 13:34:27 PM »
Have almost finished knitting my first cat blanket square in heather pink :-[ :-[ :-[
 Im just going to line this one.Thought maybe poplin.
Cant see anyone bidding on it.
For you are an island

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 14:31:00 PM »
I love knitting, and have just started my first blanket, and plan to do more and donate them to rescues.

I'm not that fast and Milo often tries to help me as well  :sneaky: :evillaugh: which isn't really help.

Hi Leanne

Are you backing your blankets? Also are you using chunky or DK or something else? Im using my left over DK wool/small acyrilc mix.
Would like some more ideas really.
For you are an island

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 23:45:08 PM »
Anyone else knit lefthanded?

IE I knit off of the right needle onto the left needle. I think most folks move the other way?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 15:39:38 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 15:03:15 PM »

Was that a Hernia Bay market Mark ?

No it was Whitstable Farmers market - she isn't always there. I think she lives in one of the Canterbury villages.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 15:01:52 PM »
I can smell a bidding war approaching  :shify: :shify:
So can I and I just love bidding wars  ;D

Someone called my name?  :innocent: ;) :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 15:02:16 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 14:31:13 PM »
I would rather have my teeth pulled put than do macrame. Forced to do it at school and I have never forgotten the sheer boredome. :naughty:

Oh that sounds tiresome!  :Crazy:  :rofl: :hug:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 14:22:55 PM »
Almost 1/2 way through the 16 x 16 blanket. Im detemined to get it finished asap so i can possibly get another one for the auction.

There is a woman who sometimes has a stall at our local farmers market. I think she is well off and it is more of a hobby but she actually dyes sheep wool, then spins it and then knits hats with it. I think it was about £20 so I don't think she makes a profit. The hat was about 8 different colours  :Crazy: - anyway, it was too big but I didn't have the heart to return it.

Was that a Hernia Bay market Mark ? We have been to the italian and french ones.We would luv to go to a farmers market here though.
Did you know the Wool Barr knitting shop sell hand knitted items. V impressed you could knit when you where 5.

I would rather have my teeth pulled put than do macrame. Forced to do it at school and I have never forgotten the sheer boredome. :naughty:

For you are an island

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »
There is a woman who sometimes has a stall at our local farmers market. I think she is well off and it is more of a hobby but she actually dyes sheep wool, then spins it and then knits hats with it. I think it was about £20 so I don't think she makes a profit. The hat was about 8 different colours  :Crazy: - anyway, it was too big but I didn't have the heart to return it.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »
I knit myself a mohair cardi once (when they were in) and it was lovely but the tension was a bit out in places  :evillaugh: it is the hardest bit I think, I could do hats though, I used to knit them for Steve for work when we were courting  :evillaugh:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 12:19:45 PM »
I can finger knit....Would anyone like a worm or snake for the auction?  :innocent: :evillaugh: :hug:
:clap: :rofl:

You could turn it into macrame and make a 1970's flower  pot hanger...with beads of course   ;D   x

:rofl: I come up with something that should be useless and you can still think of turning it into something good!  :wow: :rofl: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 21:50:04 PM »
I knitted a scarf for my dad one christmas when I was about 9 - it was a triangle in the end!  he "put it away for best"!!!  don't think it ever saw the light of day again!

I used to knit endless scarves when I was about 5 the width in parts was about 1ft and abut 2" in others  :evillaugh:

My mum can knot the most intricate fair isle and has lot of different balls of wool knitting all at the same time - no idea how she does it - she says it is easy and getting the shaping right is all in the tension  :-:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 18:37:37 PM »
Count me in!

I can finger knit....Would anyone like a worm or snake for the auction?  :innocent: :evillaugh: :hug:
:clap: :rofl:

You could turn it into macrame and make a 1970's flower  pot hanger...with beads of course   ;D   x

Im working on my Flumpets life story  and hope to put it together online this weekend (if I have time).
I also have a nearly brand new covered pet bed in blue with white pawprints.hardly used and will sponge and vacuem down.
Too big for the auction to post. If its any good to one of the rehoming centres nr whitstable we can drop it off at the weekend.x
Ill put that on one of the more appro threads as well

Sonja x
For you are an island

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 17:40:53 PM »
So can I and I just love bidding wars  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 17:39:25 PM »
I can smell a bidding war approaching  :shify: :shify:

Offline Catz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 17:32:22 PM »
I don't feel any pressure about putting it in the auction  :rofl: I;d like to put it in the auction, gives me more incentive to knit another after I've done the navy Icarus  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 17:26:18 PM »
If you did put it in the auction, then thats the sort of info that would need go in the blurb about it  ;D

Please dont feel pressure to put it in though  :hug:

Offline Catz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 17:23:01 PM »
We turn in arounf 9pm so Iv just seen those brilliant piccies now little ones napping.

I knit the english method and  changed to using bamoo needles as soon as I got hooked. ;D
Just been to knitpicks website and I think the needles look very engineery! I did use a all in one needle the other day but the needle bits where slightly rough and I kept on getting my wool caught.

Would luv to know if youv tried alpaca wool yet. Also we went here http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/wool/about/. We went to the National Wool Museum b4 Annable was born. What a buetiful place. A cats paradise as its warm, situated in the countryside in a wooded dell and inside theres loads of wooly blankets everywhere.You can buy wool and blankets etc as well and they have a huge working weaving loom and serve up some yummy cakes. It also has that lovaly oily sheeps wool smell. Well worth a visit.

The Icarus that I have finished is done in merino/silk blend. I haven't knitted in alpaca yet but would like to try sometime.

The knitpicks nickle options are very slippery and sharp and don't grap at your wool when knitting  :evillaugh: .

If anyone did win this shawl it would be a case of hand washing in warm not hot water. And drying on a line or radiator As hot water and/or a washing machine/dryer will cause it to become felt.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 17:16:44 PM »
I blamed my brother because Im right handed and hes left and I was trying to follow him  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oddly enough when I tell them that people change thier mind about teaching me now
love
Tab

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 17:11:51 PM »

My grandma tried to teach me to knit as a child and couldnt figure out how she would start me off fine but when she came back it was all wrong somehow. When she watched me she realised I was changing hands and basically knitting a row forwards , then a row backwards. She gave up after that  :evillaugh:

Oh that had me in hysterics  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 16:03:36 PM »
I knitted a scarf for my dad one christmas when I was about 9 - it was a triangle in the end!  he "put it away for best"!!!  don't think it ever saw the light of day again!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 16:01:13 PM »
HMmm I was a knitting Nancy fiend as a kid but ended up with a very very long rope. I did do embroidery, mainly counted thread work (cross stitch, blackwork, hardanger) but I very rarely do any now as ME has ruined my concentration and Amber generally ruins the threads. Its no longer relaxing when you have to watch and make sure shes not eating the thread or needle all the time.
I did do bobbin lace for a while but sold all my stuff because of memory and Amber problems. Oddly enough Mogs never was a problem when I wanted to do stuff just Amber  :innocent:
My grandma tried to teach me to knit as a child and couldnt figure out how she would start me off fine but when she came back it was all wrong somehow. When she watched me she realised I was changing hands and basically knitting a row forwards , then a row backwards. She gave up after that  :evillaugh:

Those shawls are amazing
love
Tab

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 14:33:51 PM »
I know someone on Purrs who lives round the corner from there and I am not far away either lol

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 14:27:29 PM »

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 14:08:17 PM »
We turn in arounf 9pm so Iv just seen those brilliant piccies now little ones napping.

Catz those are just amazing and so  buetiful. They remind me of spiders webs first thing in the morning. If they came up for the auction Im sure loads of us would bid on them.
There is so much work in them, I cannot imagine a time when I could ever do anything like that. Stunning.x

I knit the english method and  changed to using bamoo needles as soon as I got hooked. ;D
Just been to knitpicks website and I think the needles look very engineery! I did use a all in one needle the other day but the needle bits where slightly rough and I kept on getting my wool caught.

When I knitted little ones cardi I didnt know that when you do the band to go up the front and round the back you apparently have to make it shorter to pull the back panel into place. Didnt say on the pattern so I just did it and stitched it on. Its ok and wearable but theres a stickyout bit at the top of the back where the neck border meets the back.
Anyway am now finishing a deep red raglan cardi and its going to have ladybird buttons.
My next idea is to knit her a jumper but do it long so she can wear it like a little tunic.

Would luv to know if youv tried alpaca wool yet. Also we went here http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/wool/about/. We went to the National Wool Museum b4 Annable was born. What a buetiful place. A cats paradise as its warm, situated in the countryside in a wooded dell and inside theres loads of wooly blankets everywhere.You can buy wool and blankets etc as well and they have a huge working weaving loom and serve up some yummy cakes. It also has that lovaly oily sheeps wool smell. Well worth a visit.

For you are an island

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 13:50:41 PM »
If one does happen to go in the auction Catz, please put on a minimum bid, cos the amount of work must be incredible  ;D

I agree with Gill .... the hours of labour that must go into making one of those must be incredible.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 18:39:57 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 13:06:00 PM »
Wow they are cool, very intricate looking!  :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 00:14:35 AM »

I bet you cant beat this Mark. I bought a £12 tapestry thingy whatsit for holding it for £1 in the dogs trust HB
I got some knitted blankets in there for £1 each  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 00:11:49 AM »
If one does happen to go in the auction Catz, please put on a minimum bid, cos the amount of work must be incredible  ;D

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 00:08:56 AM »
Catz, those shawls are *stunning*

My mum does a lot of really fine crochet, knitting and bobbin lace and I can really appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes into something like that.

Alas, that sort of thing is beyond my scope. My sewing skills are... workmanlike...  :shy:

OK, I do make my own show drapes (usually from recycled fabrics), but am more into crafting type stuff e.g. woodwork, papier mache and painting. Mind, my next show drape project (assuming it gets off the drawing board) is going to involve beading and applique. :shy:

Link to CatChat