Author Topic: Indoor cats staying and a cattery with outdoor runs  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Indoor cats staying and a cattery with outdoor runs
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 18:39:58 PM »
You get indoor undercover runs michelle so they wouldnt have to be shut inside a pen for 2 weeks  ;D
I would use an indoor cattery as would hate to have cats longing for something they cant have

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:49:28 AM »
Having worked in a cattery for many years i am going to disagree with others  :evillaugh:
We had many many indoors cats stay and the outside runs never caused a problem.

The  thing you have to think about is, is it fair to keep your cats in the house compartment for 16days ?
Even a FAB registered Catterys house compartments arnt big enough for that (and they would be the largest you would find)

I also dont think it will pose a problem for when they come home as the whole situation is different

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
The cattery I put my cats in has an indoor or outdoor option. They've always had the indoor ones for the reasons you mentioned. Now though Mogs cant get up onto the bed area and as the floor area isnt huge I put them in an outdoor one so she can walk around and have more room. That said when I had a balcony on the flat Mogs only ever went out if I was out and she wanted to see what I was doing, put her in the cattery and the first thing she does is go and sit outside. She comes home and is fine again. Amber was a nightmare with the balcony and used to climb the netting to try and catch birds, shes also a nightmare with windows meaning I cant leave them open but put her in a cattery and she didnt even go outside so I guess its up to the cat.
I work on the idea that change is good for them and if they enjoy the fresh air then its a selling point for the cattery and you know they wont be sat in bed bored all day
love
tab

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 20:57:51 PM »
I must admit I didn't really think about this whilst looking for a cattery - ours have always gone to a cattery with outdoor pens, or pens that look out onto the outdoors (it has both) to be honest I didn't really think their might be any other kind!

They are all indoor and don't seem bothered about coming back home to their indoor only home. Hope that helps  :hug:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 20:26:49 PM »
I wouldn't for 2 reasons:

1. you don't  want them getting a taste for soemthing they can't have at home

2. If they have always been indoor only they might get a bit freaked out by the concept of outside especially as it's a strange environment anyway.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 20:20:29 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't risk it.  Mine always go to a cattery that is indoor only, but if there were outside pens I would ask for them not to have access in case it gave them a taste of something I couldn't provide when they got home.  But maybe someone else will have had a postitive experience of indoor cats having outside pens at a cattery.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
Indoor cats staying and a cattery with outdoor runs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 20:16:40 PM »
My girls are going on their holidays (16days) in early May and the cattery has an indoor pen with a window that can be opened to let them outside into another pen. As they are both house cats and have no idea that there is an 'outside' is it going to be ok letting then into the outdoor pen?

I'm worried they will come back with memories of all those loveley outdoor smells and pine for it once they are home :(

Link to CatChat