Author Topic: felix has come home in a bad way AGAIN :(  (Read 13163 times)

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
Re: felix has come home in a bad way AGAIN :(
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2009, 18:33:09 PM »
Felix is doing great but has huge amounts of built up energy. We stil have our other mistress sugar and he always tries to chase her like they did when they was kittens. Only problem is sugar has gone way past that stage lol.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2009, 14:01:58 PM »
I barracaded the flap once and Sasa crashed thriugh the lot and then disappeared for a week to teach me a lesson!

Yes she is a tortie!

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
Tryme.... my cats used to be allowed outside, but sinec moving to an estate i have beeb scared to let them out, due to dogs etc around
in neighbours gardens.
We just had to be very careful when opening the doors. They are used to being indoor cats now (have 4 inc a naughty tortie)
They have plenty toys & scratchin posts & we make fuss & play with them, to keep them occupied.

Persevere, no matter how much he tries to escape. You will be doing it for his own good, and when he settles, he will love you the same for it  :Luv: and some  :Luv:
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
It is so hard to keep them in when they want to go out....You just have to be really careful when opening doors  :evillaugh:
Take it you have a litter tray ??

You'd think....when we first got a certain "naughty torti" we locked the cat flap so the cats we let out could get back in. Our little madam mastered pulling the cat flap towards her with the aid of her claws and the sealing strip, putting her head underneath the now leaning in flap and trotting off out! Jack, when we tried to fully lock the cat flap merely headbutted it until it gave way and wandered off down the garden! :tired: We don't rely on the cat flap lock now if we need to keep them in!

How's Felix this morning, Tryme?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2009, 10:28:37 AM »
Felix isn't allowed out for 10 days unless we are watching him and for an hour at most each day. He's already proving to be quite the escape artist lol.

It is so hard to keep them in when they want to go out....You just have to be really careful when opening doors  :evillaugh:
Take it you have a litter tray ??

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »
Felix isn't allowed out for 10 days unless we are watching him and for an hour at most each day. He's already proving to be quite the escape artist lol.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2009, 19:28:28 PM »
i actually thought it was obvious they had spoken to a vet, as they quoted a price for him to be seen.

It was obvious to me and probably others, but Tryme didn't say that it was the vet who had said the cat would be ok to leave until the morning and I think that was the worry.  Glad Felix has been sorted now and hope he is kept safe  :Luv:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 19:29:36 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2009, 19:20:15 PM »
i am glad he has been seen now - and even if Felix had been insured, this might still have happened, as most emergency vets want payment there and then, and I can't see any emergency vet allowing staged payments as you arne't their client, they dont know you are trustworthy. I have two credit cards for situations like this, as I would then have to claim it back from the insurance company (and have used them at weekends with an insured cat),

i actually thought it was obvious they had spoken to a vet, as they quoted a price for him to be seen.

I would recommend keeping him indoor only from now on though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2009, 19:02:04 PM »
Missed this yesterday - I am gload felix has been treated now. Incidentally when I had to rus Beavis to the emergency vet on a Sunday it was close to £200. And that was just constipation!!!! :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2009, 14:27:49 PM »
glad to see hes ok
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 23:41:44 PM by Kally »
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2009, 14:13:44 PM »
Glad felix is on the mend  :Luv:
and

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2009, 14:09:05 PM »
Glad he's on the mend. :) They like to make us worry.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2009, 13:19:56 PM »
Glad Felix is fixed and on the mend  :)

Most likely Tryme was going through the head up a**e situation and didnt think of posting that they had actually phoned a vet, we know what its like when were paniced and confused and worried all at the same time, nothing ever comes out the right way.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »
ahh poor boy ... glad he is going to be ok  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2009, 12:12:31 PM »
ouch
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2009, 11:12:01 AM »
Here's a pic of his 3 stiches.

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2009, 11:08:27 AM »
like I said already the vet was called, he gave us advice and said how much a call out would be etc and as it didn't sound life threatening he would be ok until the morning, which he was.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2009, 19:15:02 PM »
I think it's best if we all concentrate on waiting for an update about Felix. Hope the vet was able to help, Tryme.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2009, 17:36:28 PM »
Glad Felix has seen a vet & hope he is better soon.

I also may have been harsh, but like others have pointed out, an animals welfare is important.
And tryme you didnt come back online,
I was ill last nite thinkin of Felix & have thought about him all day at work.
And with you going offline, then what are us all gonna think ???
Especially with thinking Felix has such a bad open wound you could see his bone!
and

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2009, 16:03:36 PM »
As others have said, I will apologise if anyone felt I was overly harsh, but I felt it a fair reaction the the original post. The only indication we had of Felix's condition was the remark about seeing the bone, which is going to scare any cat lover and provoke these kinds of remarks. I am glad that Felix has now been seen and had treatment but again I would advise for you to either get an insurance, an emergency credit card or pay some money into an account each month that could be used for emergencies like this. I also echo what others have said about Felix's roaming, maybe limiting this or preventing it would be in his own best interests.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2009, 15:10:18 PM »
Firstly, I will apologise for any offence I have caused..... :-[

But I will say that had we known about the fact that vetrinary advice had already been sought then the reactions would have been much more tempered. That is the problem of forums, its not a face to face conversation so meanings and contexts are only based on what is on the page, this causes problems as has so clearly happened here....

Tryme, well done for being responsible and seeing Felix is attended to, however I do still think that there is a problem regarding the fact that Felix is regulary injured while outside on his adventures. Insurance is a must but it will not stop these injuries occuring in the first place.

Have a good look in your area, can you see anything that he could be catching himself on? Barbed wire, rusty metal in a tool shed etc? If it is in your power to get it sorted do so (even if it means getting a neighbour to clear up his mess). Prevention is better than cure, especially as it is affecting lives  :(

If you can't do so, then please give consideration to the fact that Felix may have to have his wanderings restricted. Please don't forget that when you take on any animal it looks to you to keep it safe and fed (just like a child would), so many people out there do not do this and it leaves others to pick up the pieces when it all goes so badly wrong (our rescue members on here will atest to that).

Anyway, advice over, please keep us updated on Felix's progress.....we are a good bunch on here.. but we are also only human  :-[ :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2009, 15:00:30 PM »
I am pleased that this has been a good result in the end for Felix but would really council insurance for him, Its also easier to maske deals with vets when you have insurance  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »
Tryme, have you got an update? I'd love to know how Felix is. Also, pictures when the lad's feeling up to posing for the camera.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
Glad that Felix has been seen now.

I would definitely look into insurance from now on, particularly if he is a bit 'accident prone'.  For the sake of a few £ a month, it has to be worth that peace of mind....

Do you know what caused his injuries?

Edited to add:

I think perhaps if you had stated in your first post that you have already sought veterinary advice, this would have invoked more helpful responses from peeps here. By simply saying that you couldn't afford treatment but Felix's bone was showing, then of course people are going to worry, and sometimes react adversley.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:35:44 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »
This time its one of his back legs. I can see his bone I think. It looks like he has caught it on something bad. I know it sounds rude but I don't have the money to do an emergency vets trip tonight so will have to take him tomorrow. He's eating and drinking but not walking very well. He's eating lying down.

I reacted the way I did with the above description and don't feel in any way that I acted wrongly from the above description paramount before finance is the animals welfare not your wallet - like Mark perhaps I am seen as overly protective but I won't see any animal suffer for finance sake

I'm glad felix has had treatment but perhaps you now need to consider him becoming an indoor only cat as finances seem an issue - inside he will cost less unless he is accident prone.

i have both indoor only and indoor/outdoor so speak from experience and cost we have had several delinquents costing well in to 4 figures all treated without hesitation and payment worried about after the event

I would also be looking at finding a better vet who provides a cheaper callout and one with who you can build up a relationship should the cost issue/ can we afford to treat issue ever comes up again.

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »
the first thing we did was call the vets thats how we knew it would of costed so much for the call out fee etc. They said he wasn't in a life threatening situation by the sounds of things so we knew hed be ok til the morning

We didn't know you had got advice from the vet hun and that they had said he would be ok until the morning you never said and I think that is what scared people.  So glad Felix is getting sorted  :) though and like I said that's the main thing.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:45:26 AM by janeyk »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »
Glad he is ok and you did eventually get him to the vets but it might be worth trying to make a prior arrangement with your vet in case anything like this happens in the future and you are stuck for funds.

I can understand people getting mad, I can't say I've not had a go in the past but in a situation like this, if the person is adamant they can't get to the vet, no matter what is said on here, it's just not going to happen  :tired:  I don't know how making threats etc is going to achieve anything, if the owner just happens not to give a  :censored: about the animal, by threatening etc, the animal may just end up getting dumped and having no treatment at all and what happens then?  Anyone allowing their animal to suffer do want their arses kicking but the main thing is trying to persuade them to help the animal first.......you can say what you want afterwards  :sneaky:  

I do agree though, in a situation like this or any other emergency, the vet should have been called even if it was just for advice.  If someone has animals, they have a duty to that animal for life, and that includes being able to pay for treatment when it's needed.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
can't give advice to a poster who leaves a worrying post and then logs off
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »
I didnt see this thread last night !!

Shame none of you didnt offer any advice while sounding off ah !
Like clean the wound and then cover it to help stop infection

And an emergency vet in London could cost £250....look at the person who was quoted £1000 for an thyroid Op !
Or my Lulu who cost over £300 at an emergency vet and was only given pain relief.

I am not saying that the cat shoudnt have seen a vet last night BUT this person couldnt afford it ....and I know quiet a few people on here who couldnt have got their hands on £250 either!!!

Its not often I am upset my people attitudes on here but i am really disappointed with this thread

Sorry Michelle but when people read that a cat is injured  with bone showing and it is not getting emergency treatment, how do you expect them to react?

I agree some advice could have been offered but there was really no other advice in those circumstances than to drop everything and get to a vet - but that's me.

It's exactly the same thing we say about posts on yahoo answers.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:42:56 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2009, 11:30:53 AM »
the first thing we did was call the vets thats how we knew it would of costed so much for the call out fee etc. They said he wasn't in a life threatening situation by the sounds of things so we knew hed be ok til the morning

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »
Felix is having a few stiches and is staying at the vets for a while. Came to £150 all together. The reason it would of been so expensive last night is because thevets was shut so we would of had to get a huge call out fee for one of the vets to come from home and then pay for the treatment etc and after all that he would of still had to go into the vets any way. I don't think the cut was as bad as we first though. He should be ok now which is good news.

Glad he is ok  :hug:

It might be aswell to look into insurance, it would probably only cost you about £8 a month and would give you peace of mind.
I dont have insurance as i have 11 cats but i am sure someone on here could suggest a good company

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »
So pleased the little tinker is going to be OK  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
I think alot of people were panicking it is difficult to make suggestions without seeing the injury so just to call the vet and ask for a bit of advise is what some wanted to hear anyway the main thing is that the cat is being seen this morning and hopefully will be ok  :hug:

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
Felix is having a few stiches and is staying at the vets for a while. Came to £150 all together. The reason it would of been so expensive last night is because thevets was shut so we would of had to get a huge call out fee for one of the vets to come from home and then pay for the treatment etc and after all that he would of still had to go into the vets any way. I don't think the cut was as bad as we first though. He should be ok now which is good news.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »
I totally agree with Michelle,

I missed this thread last night but I am also a bit surprised more "assistance / advice" was offered rather than just turning all heated and vigilante  >:(

Tryme ... I'm pleased to hear Felix has a vets appointment and I hope it all goes well.  Please update us when you get back.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 11:10:22 AM »
I didnt see this thread last night !!

Shame none of you didnt offer any advice while sounding off ah !
Like clean the wound and then cover it to help stop infection

And an emergency vet in London could cost £250....look at the person who was quoted £1000 for an thyroid Op !
Or my Lulu who cost over £300 at an emergency vet and was only given pain relief.

I am not saying that the cat shoudnt have seen a vet last night BUT this person couldnt afford it ....and I know quiet a few people on here who couldnt have got their hands on £250 either!!!

Its not often I am upset my people attitudes on here but i am really disappointed with this thread

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
So glad that Felix is going to get some help - have you got any idea what keeps causing his injuries?  Is there any way you could keep him as an indoor cat because he seems so accident prone?  Good luck at the vets
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
Glad to hear it. How's the little guy doing today?

Offline tryme

• Adult Cat
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »
felix has a vets appointment at 11 this morning.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »
I re-read his posts yesterday night and am also inclined to think that someone who has been a member since 2007 and posted plenty of non antagonistic posts may well be genuine, albeit a very bad pet owner for making their poor cat suffer all night.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Link to CatChat