Author Topic: Indoor Cat Statistics  (Read 12952 times)

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
Re: Indoor Cat Statistics
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2009, 14:34:13 PM »
Lots to read in this thread.

Streetwise cats
I think it depends on the cat. Even if you think they are, they can behave in an uncharactertistic way if scared or distracted, as other have suggested. Mitzi, my Siamese/Bengal cross would not have a chance - she has an overpowering sense of curiosity that completely outweighs any tendency to run away.

Indoor/outdoor
All my cats really like the garden, particularly in summer. My two older cats, who have experience of both, prefer the catproofed garden to the non-catproofed garden. They are female and did not like sharing their territory with other cats. When I kept Flynn in (from when I got him as a kitten to when the garden was catproofed 5 months later) he wanted out. He would certainly go further than the garden boundaries if he could. I think two of them, Blacken and Mitzi, could be indoor cats.

Cat density
My four are much happier now that they have more area to share (catproofing the garden doubled their combined territory).

'Natural' cat behaviour
We don't want our cats to behave 'naturally'. Sudies of feral cat colonies suggest that they are almost completely solitary with two exceptions: kittenhood and occasionally when a daughter from a previous litter combines forces with her mother to care for a new litter. We need to bend their psychology somewhat if they are to be pets. Either they retain aspects of kitten psychology and see us as their mother, or their littermates, or they take the mother's role and see us as their kittens. (Some of my female cats do a delightful mix of both.)

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »
An indoor environment can meet everything for some cats, look at the amount of indoor only on Purrs who are shown off in pics, you can see they are happy and content. Lu and Riley come to mind, surely no one can say those cats were missing out for their first year as indoor only cats??

There are also many cats kept indoors that DO have behaviour problems and suffer with stress related conditions such as urinary tract problems. Sorry, but I believe all cats should have the choice.  ;D

Thats true but I don't believe its all totally down to whether they go out or not

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2009, 14:40:05 PM »
My local supermarket and vets always have posters of missing cats up - apparently there was a problem in the district of people stealing cats to use as bait in dog fighting (don't know if this is true or not, it was in the local newspaper).   I have heard of other horrible stories too that have happened in my actual town.   My neighbour keeps are 2 out and they have been there as long as I have (probably longer) and that has been 7 years.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »
I think cats can be streetwise to a degree but it only takes a bird/rabbit or something to scare them and their instincts kick in. I think if a bird landed across the road, most cats would just go into predator mode.

i agree, as i've said, only one of my cats ventures out the front where the road is and if he sees a nice fat pigeon then he's off.  i have no idea whether he is street smart but i do know that he is cat smart, if he can chase it he will, regardless of whether there is a road between him and his prey.  i worry from the minute he goes out in the morning to the minute he comes in in the evening.  if he's not back by the time dinner is dished up then i'm on the verge of panic and stalking the street checking the roadside.  if i could keep him in i definitely would.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2009, 11:19:51 AM »

I personally believe a cat can NEVER be streetwise, they do not know what a car or road is - they might find the road scary, but it's not in their nature or instincts to know about it. And if you own a cat, you automatically responsible for his/hers safety, so think twice before you let them out if you live near a busy road.

I disagree with this. I live on the very edge of a small town. A country lane runs up the side of my house and across from us there is a wooded copse and beyond that lane is green belt. My cats go across that lane into the copse to hunt. I've watched them many times. Not all the time but in the majority of instances when they get to the road edge they stop. They look around and are clearly listening before they cross the road. I've seen my cats run back to a garden and away from the road the second they hear a car approaching. Many people have stated how smart and adaptable indoor cats are to their indoor lifestyle so surely the same must be true of cats who are allowed outside.

I think cats can be streetwise to a degree but it only takes a bird/rabbit or something to scare them and their instincts kick in. I think if a bird landed across the road, most cats would just go into predator mode.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:22:47 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »
Yes, that's why mine are indoors because of the busy road - and horror stories of horrible people.

Which reminds me of  a phone call received on Thursday about a missing ginger/white cat. I gave the caller details of what to do if you lose a cat, and advised her that of she got the little one back to keep it in as we here of so many cats go missing from her area. To be honest there is no way we would ever home a cat to go out in that area and if we could get away with it no cat at all. (Although there must be some nice families somewhere). The caller advised me that she could not keep the cat in as it liked to go to a place called xxxxxxxxxx Hall, (which is on a very busy road and the cat would need to cross it to get there. and each day she would go in the care at night to get it. I advised her that one day the little one will not be there and she would not get it back. She poo pooed the idea. Anyway yesterday  I received a call from a very nice lady who wanted to adopt a cat and then mentioned that the day before she had seen a dead ginger/white cat outside xxxxxxxxxx Hall and had called the cleansing dept to collect it. I know I have put 2 and 2 together but I think I know whose cat that will be.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »

I personally believe a cat can NEVER be streetwise, they do not know what a car or road is - they might find the road scary, but it's not in their nature or instincts to know about it. And if you own a cat, you automatically responsible for his/hers safety, so think twice before you let them out if you live near a busy road.

I disagree with this. I live on the very edge of a small town. A country lane runs up the side of my house and across from us there is a wooded copse and beyond that lane is green belt. My cats go across that lane into the copse to hunt. I've watched them many times. Not all the time but in the majority of instances when they get to the road edge they stop. They look around and are clearly listening before they cross the road. I've seen my cats run back to a garden and away from the road the second they hear a car approaching. Many people have stated how smart and adaptable indoor cats are to their indoor lifestyle so surely the same must be true of cats who are allowed outside.

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2009, 21:30:07 PM »
We moved from a semi-rural area, Splitz, Pod & Rolo went outside (only whem i was in & not when iy was dark)
They never ventured far & when i shouted of them & shook their treats they would come pelting back.
My 2 neighbours who shared the courtyard also had cats so there was 7 in total.

6 months ago we gave it up and come to live on an estate, as my mother is ill so i needed to be near her & my sis (all a few mins walk away now)
We live in a cul-de-sac and the back garden in huge.

Since moving here i am terified to let my babies out, but they seem to have adapted to indoors well (with the help from the threads on Purrs)
The sound of barking dogs across the back gardens & kids yelling scares me to let them out.
Also Rolo (little ginja Ninja) seems to have no fear and will investigate anything. He does run wild when he see's a cat outside, but i try my hardest to distract him.
They have the full run of the house (they dont do rules LOL) have loads of toys etc and we always fuss & play with them.
We also have Flora now, so 4 indoor furbabes now  :Luv2:

TBH tho, i am looking for another semi-rural house as i would like to be able to let them out again
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2009, 20:48:22 PM »

Yes, that's why mine are indoors because of the busy road - and horror stories of horrible people.     I don't like keeping them in though, it goes against everything I have ever said but I just couldn't live with myself if something happened.   And so, as long as I am living here and they appear to be happy enough indoors then thats the way its going to have to stay.  However, if I am ever lucky enough to move somewhere quieter (or with a garden) I would love to let them out, even at the very least it is in a run.   I try to give to give them lots of varied toys and things to do to keep them active and interested.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2009, 15:59:26 PM »
After having lost my number 1 Baby to the road, I woved to keep the next cat indoors until the garden was cat proofed. Luckily, our new boy is not allowed to go outside (victim of RTA with smashed pelvis, no tail and hardly any teeth - only 12 months old and not very street wise). I am still in 2 minds about the indoor/outdoor issue, but he hasn't displayed any signs of wanting to go out - and when we have had the front door open he will just sniff around and then come back in again.

However, one day we WILL let him out, but only if he is safely tucked away from the busy road.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2009, 15:47:53 PM »
I think alot depends on the cat, I dont think it is fair to keep a cat indoors  if it makes them miserable.
All 11 of mine are allowed outside, daytime only !!

I have lost 3 cats to the road but still feel it would be wrong to keep my lot shut up indoors, they all love going outside.
But believe me i worry everytime they are outside, I cant rest until they are all back inside.

I remember speaking to my vet about this some years ago just after i had lost one of mine
His reply was -

" Do you want a cat that lives till 20yrs old but has 20 miserable years indoors or a cat that maybe only lives to 2yrs old but has enjoyed every second of its life ?"

Catbird

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2009, 15:14:19 PM »
I am not enjoying the new Vicky hall book as I do think there is a few things she is talking about that perhaps she does not have as much knowledge as she does about her excellent cat behavour. She drives home the point of cats geting out very strongly which I find conflicts with a lot of other stuff I have read and believe.

I haven't read any of Vicky Hall's books but any cat book I have read/and own have all fully encouraged the reader to keep their cats indoors.

I have read cat detective and now hald way through this and maybe I am just picking up on some points too strongly but it is clear she prefers outdoors (which ofcourse is fine) but I didnt get the same strong impresseion from cat dectective. It is still a good book and I got it for only £2 so cant grumble!! Its good just as a reference

She does change her mind somewhat, I think.  I have one of her books somewhere and when she wrote it she had 4 or 5 cats.  One of the vet nurses told me, after attending a talk by her, that Ms Halls now apparently thinks that cats should live a one-cat-per-household life, as only lions live in a group in the wild.  Personally the logic behind that one sounds a bit tenuous but I haven't read any of her recent books and possibly the views expressed therein are different.  If this is her view now, it proves that she can change her mind about fundamental aspects of cat care so, you never know, she might come around to indoor living for cats!  ;)

C.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:18 PM »
I am not enjoying the new Vicky hall book as I do think there is a few things she is talking about that perhaps she does not have as much knowledge as she does about her excellent cat behavour. She drives home the point of cats geting out very strongly which I find conflicts with a lot of other stuff I have read and believe.

I haven't read any of Vicky Hall's books but any cat book I have read/and own have all fully encouraged the reader to keep their cats indoors.

I have read cat detective and now hald way through this and maybe I am just picking up on some points too strongly but it is clear she prefers outdoors (which ofcourse is fine) but I didnt get the same strong impresseion from cat dectective. It is still a good book and I got it for only £2 so cant grumble!! Its good just as a reference
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »
Mine are allowed outside, but they rarely leave my bedroom, much less figure out where the door is!! Molly spent most of last summer chattering at the birds from inside the house, although Zi took advantage a bit. The fosters seem to go out more than my 2, I have an ex-stray who starts climbing the walls at 9pm to go out, so his compromise is when I get home from work and when I am around at weekends, he clearly will never be an indoor only cat, and it does concern me as his hearing isn't great. But watching a cat try and get out of a window that is on a trickle vent cos he craves the fresh air can't be good for his mental health.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2009, 23:31:37 PM »

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 23:21:28 PM »
Unfortunately, my 2 cats are indoors full-time too.

My intention when I first got them was to let them out - I always thought it was cruel to keep them indoors but then once I got them I began to hear all the horror stories regarding cats in the neighbourhood about what people had done to them/plus there is a busy road so I decided I couldn't risk making that decision to let them out.

They appear to me to be very happy indoors and don't cry to get out.  However, if I ever move to a house with a garden I would love to build a cat run for them.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 21:56:20 PM »
My boys are indoor only.  In an ideal world, they would be able to choose whether or not they wanted to go outside.  But the world - and the world outside my door in paticular - is far from ideal.  Cats and cars don't mix well and I consider the risks in my own little bit of the planet to be too great.  So it's an indoor life for them.  The only alternative would be to not have cats.  But that would be a shame.  Not just for me, but for all those cats that need homes 'cos I think I can provide a good one.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 19:55:24 PM »
Actually I'd agree about being more concerned about 'rural' areas - because I lived in a semi-rural area before I moved here, I lost 5 cats on the quiet country road that ran across the top of our cul-de-sac in the 9 years I lived there. Its why I decided to build the cat run - there was never the thought that I wanted to keep them indoors, in fact my  thoughts were that I could not possibly have cats anymore to have my heart broken again and again. The cat run was the compromise.

Catbird

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2009, 19:29:31 PM »
It's not intended to be a class war or haves and have-nots.

There's only one class on Purrs, and that's cat lovers  :Luv:  And that makes us all 'haves' in my book  ;D

Yeah, that's right.  At the end of the day, if it's upsidedown on the bed purring its head off, it's probably OK.

and so's its cat.

C.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2009, 19:21:45 PM »
It's not intended to be a class war or haves and have-nots.

There's only one class on Purrs, and that's cat lovers  :Luv:  And that makes us all 'haves' in my book  ;D
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Catbird

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 19:17:55 PM »
rural idyll...   rural idyll 

I didn't mean that phrase to sound as glib as it obviously did.

And as I said in my previous email, I realise that there are both rich and poor in both the countryside and the town.  Here it is again, for clarity:

I certainly didn't mean to state simply that all the "posh" types live in the country and all the "poor" types live in towns, what I did mean to state was that moving to a better environment from the point of view of owning cats is not simple... or even achievable for many of us

You have been able to do that, I will not be able to and that not a "wah, wah, wah, poor little me", it's a simple statement of fact.

This point has got a bit laboured but what I wanted to say was that indoor/outdoor vs indoor only does not have much of an element of choice for most of us.  I didn't think that point had been really considered within the thread and I wanted to suggest a possible end stage for the thought that all cats should be permitted an outdoor life.  It's not intended to be a class war or haves and have-nots.

C.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 19:14:23 PM »
Just to lob in a thought, I'd be more concerned about allowing Blip free outdoor access if I lived in the country

having read about Billy Buttons and seen the pictures of the area he went missing in i'm inclined to agree.  the thought of one of my cats being lost in one of those huge field with knowledge that sooner or later a combine harvester is going to come along made me rethink letting the cats out if i ever do get the chance to move to the countryside.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2009, 18:57:52 PM »
By the way living in a rural location as we did prior to coming to an even more rural location I lost 2 of my boys Toerag and Haggis in the same spot 2 years apart - we also have idiot racers in the rural idyll where we lived previously for 10 years, here we have sold our souls and bought the most wonderful place, no street lights for 3 miles, a very bumpy single dirt track road for us and one other house - delivery vans are met by 6 dogs so they have to slow down also if they want suspension left on their vehicles.  We live a mile and half off a C road - its a nice straight bit and folks speed on it - I see the lights when walking the dogs at night!

Also the idea that us country folks are rich is a myth - we have no road gritting, no uplift of our rubbish at all and maintain the track ourselves which is not a cheap task, we pay very high council tax for no services - the nearest bus stop is 1.5 miles away and that bus comes 3 times a day so not great for any planning so we have to drive.  TYhe takeaways don't deliver and we have to travel to our "corner shop" which is 4 miles away!

Oh and we also have high unemployment to - I was made redundant last September and haven't found a job yet as some folks think I live to fawaway from their places of employment

Also we have a lot of animals dumped in this nice area as we have woods and its far away from the civilisation  - I trap any of these poor waifs and  strays rehome where I can, release what I can and feed and vet check them and the ones who need major surgery end up coming in

Mine also live in a Multicat household 43 at the last count with 3 dogs aged 15, 20 months and 4 months

We never have holidays and live frugally to provide for our furkids - they have Royal canin I am having beans on toast!

So whilst the rural idyll is a lovely dream to have and we fulfilled ours it isn't everyones cup of tea!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2009, 18:55:57 PM »
I started to sense a feeling of "if you live in a flat on a main road, don't own a cat", which seems to me to be unfair on people who provide a loving indoor only home and possibly ill-thought out, as followed to its eventual conclusion this must mean that there is a feeling that some perfectly OK people shoud be forever denied cat ownership unless they can breach the catch-22 situation described above and live the rural idyll.

Just to lob in a thought, I'd be more concerned about allowing Blip free outdoor access if I lived in the country anywhere near an A road.  Round here, we have speed humps, little funny-shaped roads and 20 mph speed restrictions; no hammering along at 60 mph in this neighbourhood.

I would hate to ever restrict Blip's access now and would use cat-proofing if ever this arose.  If I were a prospective cat owner who did live in a dangerous place, I would look to share my home with a disabled cat who had to be kept indoors.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 18:51:25 PM »
When i got Milo he came from a flat where he was an indoor cat. When he settled with me i let him go outside for a while when i was around. It then turned to him going out when the weather was fair. Some nights he would not come back until early morning and i would have to leave the window open for him. He then started to stay more at home again. He turned into a great hunter and brought back all sorts of mice! I felt for the woodmice population! When we got Pagan he began to never go out!! Ever. The weather began to draw in and he hasnt been outside since October.

Pagan hasnt been out, well she went out once or twice with me. Its only as she hasnt been spayed yet. Her and Milo get on very well and i think having each other is enough for them. They play around a lot. When they move with me to ther flat they will be indoor all the time, but the flat is twice the size of the house they are in now!! So they will have plenty of space and compay. At the moment they dont have as much company. But its only for another couple of weeks.

I feel cats can adapt to anything. Ideally i would let them both out. Butn it turns out that my living situation is changing and they will need to be kept indoors. Isnt that better than the trauma of being rehomed?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 18:52:58 PM by catalyst »

Catbird

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 18:42:35 PM »
We gave Perseus the choice.

On Friday, 7th August 2004 Perseus was run over on his way home to us.  He was found dying on th Saturday morning.  Nothing could be done for him

Thanks Wibble and I am very sorry that Perseus had such a short time with you. 

Yes, the outdoors may offer some natural activites for a cat but how natural is it for a cat's life to be cut short in the way described?

C.

Catbird

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 18:39:05 PM »

PS I don't understand the implied correlation between wealth and rural living, Catbird: there are poor people and better-off people in town and country alike  :shy:.

Yes, I know what you mean and I didn't really get what I meant across well.  Let's see if I can manage this a bit better.  I live in Rochester, which is close to the countryside but not in it.  My perfect home for having a cat would be in a rural area.  I can't move to a rural area because I either can't afford to buy a home there, or I can afford a flat over a shop, which would rather defeat the objective and in any case I would not be able to afford the fares into work.  If I took local employment, the drop in salary would be so severe that I couldn't pay the mortgage.  I know that there are many people who are in the same position as me - we live in towns and cities less through choice than necessity.  I certainly didn't mean to state simply that all the "posh" types live in the country and all the "poor" types live in towns, what I did mean to state was that moving to a better environment from the point of view of owning cats is not simple... or even achievable for many of us and I think that there is something of dichotomy lurking around here.  For many people there is no real indoor/outdoor choice and I started to sense a feeling of "if you live in a flat on a main road, don't own a cat", which seems to me to be unfair on people who provide a loving indoor only home and possibly ill-thought out, as followed to its eventual conclusion this must mean that there is a feeling that some perfectly OK people shoud be forever denied cat ownership unless they can breach the catch-22 situation described above and live the rural idyll.

Have I explained this any better?  I am having trouble putting this into words, hopefully this is an improvement.

C.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 18:22:24 PM »
So, what do those who feel that an outside life is essential think I should do?  And what are their views about those of us who are city/town flat dwellers?  The issue of wealth, lifestyle and cat ownership doesn't really seem to have been broached

I'm of the view that cats should be allowed outdoor access and we live in Fulham.  Blip is an indoor / outdoor cat, as are almost all my neighbours' cats (including two Persians in the next street).  In our case, Blip isn't allowed 'out the front' only into the back garden(s), but if she put her mind to it she could find her way to the road: many cats round here do pad about in front gardens and on the pavements.

PS I don't understand the implied correlation between wealth and rural living, Catbird: there are poor people and better-off people in town and country alike  :shy:.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 17:54:19 PM »
We gave Perseus the choice.

He was gorgeous - came to us as a young straying cat - barely out of kitten-hood into our street.  My OH found him in the hands of a small child who was swinging him about by his collar.  He rescued him and brought him into our flat.  To cut a long story short, He became ours.  he was unchipped, unneutred and very, very hungry and thirsty.  We had him neutered and chipped.  We would have loved to keep him in, but he clearly wanted out.  We live on the top (3rd floor) of a block of flats, so it wasn't very easy.  But, he'd been an out cat before e came to us ...

We had him for just over a year.

Then, he went missing. 

On a Friday evening.

On Friday, 7th August 2004 Perseus was run over on his way home to us.  He was found dying on th Saturday morning.  Nothing could be done for him

Now I'm going to have stop typing cos I'm going to go and cry  :'( :'( :'(

OK - nose blown - eyes wiped - So - we make decisions based on all sorts of things.  Thank God, Chloe nd Mr T don't want to go out. 

Look at my sketch

Would you want your cats to go out here?
People Power Works!!!

Catbird

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 17:36:19 PM »
Sorry, but I believe all cats should have the choice.  ;D

So, given what I have said before, I have to ask - do you believe that all cats, in all circumstances should have the choice?  Should Dot have the choice even if it costs her her life?  Should cats who live in very built up areas have the choice... OR (and this is what I was trying to find out initially) should people who cannot offer a "proper" outdoor environment not have cats?  Please be clear here Gillian that I am most definitely NOT trying to start an argument with you and that these questions are not solely directed at you - I really want to know what the opinions of the "outdoor division" lead to and how far this has been thought through.  It is one thing to state a firm belief in outdoor access for all BUT taken to it's logical conclusion, this surely results in a belief that some of us should not own cats?

C.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 17:26:09 PM »
That's freaky MM, that's just what I was about to post....

In an ideal world then yes, of course, all animals would be able to roam free but it's not an ideal world which is why many cats are kept indoors.  I don't think it's been proven that indoor cats are more at risk of behavioural issues but it is a fact that cats who are allowed outside are more at risk of being run over or harmed by humans.

As MM said the boys were completely indoors for the first year of their lives with me, they'd never been out so they didn't know what they were 'missing'.  They are happy, healthy, well rounded cats with no behavioural problems.  I was lucky that I have been able to catproof my garden so now they do go out but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that they are not happier for it, they do enjoy going out but in the same breath they enjoy having a new cardboard box to play in. The garden is not a huge pull for them and in fact they've not been out at all today, there's been no waiting by the back door - their choice.

I think those of us who have indoor cats appreciate that as they lack the stimulus of the outdoors then we have to make an extra effort to keep them stimulated and happy hence climbing towers, treat balls, interactive toys and probably more one-on-one attention than an outdoor cat would ever get. With the boys this has turned them into the most affectionate, loving boys I could ever have hoped for - I was their world while they were growing up which I think has moulded them into the lovely cats they are now.

The only exception to my fully supporting indoor cats would be when the cat is used to going outside, in that scenario then I think it would be very difficult to adjust, and yes it may make the cat unhappy. Having said that they may adjust to it as my Tiggy did who was indoor/outdoor up to the age of 15 and then became indoor only with no problem.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 17:33:00 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 17:05:41 PM »
In an ideal world all cats would have the choice but there are so many unwanted cats that to rule out indoor homes that SOME of those cats would be perfectly happy living in would be plain madness?  What would happen then, put them all to sleep just because they cant have the choice to go out in the garden or not  :shocked:

In my dream world, there would be no speeding cars, no yobs and sickos out doing evil things and people wouldnt breed endless supplies of kittens so all cats would be out safely sunbathing but until that day many cats are going to be better off indoors  :shy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 16:51:47 PM »
An indoor environment can meet everything for some cats, look at the amount of indoor only on Purrs who are shown off in pics, you can see they are happy and content. Lu and Riley come to mind, surely no one can say those cats were missing out for their first year as indoor only cats??

There are also many cats kept indoors that DO have behaviour problems and suffer with stress related conditions such as urinary tract problems. Sorry, but I believe all cats should have the choice.  ;D

Offline Tiggys Mum Tracey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 16:45:23 PM »
I wonder if there is an element to this that hasn't been considered yet.  Some of those who have replied and expressed the view that all cats should be able to access the great outdoors obviously live in (semi)rural areas, where there are woods, fields, streams and... er... geese.  Many of us will never be able to live in such areas and have no choice but to live near roads and other humans + their pets.  If this is the case and owners in these circumstances feel that their cats would be in danger outside, should people in these situations not have cats?  If so, there is a danger that this view could fairly rapidly progress to the view that only people in a higher monetary bracket should own cats - I would love to live in a rural area but I can't afford to and I know many people in the same situation.  Aside from the obvious increased strain on rescues, it would be a cause of great sadness to many, should they be persuaded that their home is not fit for feline habitation.

I don't mean the above to be as provocative as it probably sounds but strangely, I couldn't seem to scroll on through this thread yesterday and it upset me quite a bit.  I was thinking about it in bed last night, after Dot had come to join me and was stretched out with her paws on my tummy.  I thought that she always seems happy but what if she really does feel that something is missing from her life?  If there was, what could I do?  Break the contract with my breeder and boot Dot out to take her chances?  Moving is out of the question at the moment and anyway, as I said, I can't afford to live in the countryside, nor will I ever be able to, I suspect.  I would be devastated if Dot left me and equally devastated if I could never have another cat.

So, what do those who feel that an outside life is essential think I should do?  And what are their views about those of us who are city/town flat dwellers?  The issue of wealth, lifestyle and cat ownership doesn't really seem to have been broached - is this a deliberate attempt to skim over something that might prove to be provocative, or has it just never come up?

C.

I can completely understand where you are coming from and I didn't want to cause any problems by asking the question about having a house cat. I feel very strongly about my Tiggy staying indoors where she is safe as like you I don't live in an area surounded by fields and no cars!
Love life, love your animals!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 16:41:20 PM »
I don't believe in keeping cats solely indoors. Cats are domesticated yes, to live amongst us, not to be kept shut up inside a house, being domesticated doesnt stop their natural instincts which just can't be met by a totally indoor environment.

Catbird, dont be upset, if Dot was unhappy she would be the first one to let you know with some rather obvious behaviours, so just be pleased that you have a v.happy and safe cat in your life. ;D

Offline Tiggys Mum Tracey

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 16:09:13 PM »
First floor flat with no garden so have 3 indoors cats, dogs used to be put out of the house once upon a time too.

hth

How do you manage in a flat? I am thinking of renting a flat or apartment as I am considering spliting with my partner and I will be taking Tiggy and my two rabbits with me.
Love life, love your animals!

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 15:10:15 PM »
my boys are completely indoor kitties due to several factors though we are building an enclosed garden

however I do not think they are missing out on much, both are active and have a blast in the house, have ample opportunity to dash out whenwe let the dogs out if they really wanted to... so I think completely indoor is fine if you have enough room and spend time with them

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 14:17:27 PM »
I agree with Liz and I'd never thought about it before, our vets have always assumed that Jess and Milo go out and when we explained they are mostly indoors they were like oh, so we too must being doing something right  ;)

I can honestly say I don't think they are missing out on anything, they don't cry to go out or line up to. They only express an interest in going in the garden at weekends but (as I said before) when we take them out at this time of the year they soon hurry back in.

I remember last summer we were in the garden with them from midday till 9pm just playing and lazing around and we all slept though the night it obviously wore the boys out.

I think at the end of the day every cat is different and we all know our own cats, I knew Jess is far to nervy to want to go out alone and Milo has adapted well to being indoors and gets quite scared of strange outdoor noises.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 13:13:42 PM »
Some of those who have replied and expressed the view that all cats should be able to access the great outdoors obviously live in (semi)rural areas, where there are woods, fields, streams and... er... geese. 

Just to say, although my cats all go outside, I don't live in a rural area, I live on a housing estate, albeit in a small cul-d-sac away from any busy roads and I am lucky enough to have a large garden unusually for modern estate house. Can assure you I'm not in the higher monetary bracket either, far, from it LOL! But I did choose this house 8 yrs ago with the cats in mind, the size of the garden, the position etc.

Oh, and edited to add - for all they love to go outside, mine have hardly set food outside the door for quite a few weeks now LOL!  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 13:15:48 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 13:09:49 PM »
I can also understand how territory could become an issue for indoor cats if there was a multi-cat household

that would be the main problem if i kept mine in.  the ones that are out all day would, i'm sure, get cranky with the ones that are content to stay in.  i just went down to make a coffee and all but 2 are in, curled up in various spots in the kitchen  :rofl:

Link to CatChat