Author Topic: I've found my kitten  (Read 5754 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: I've found my kitten
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 20:48:04 PM »
Its better to have 1 and be able to cope easily instead of stretching things  :hug:
You could consider adopting a pair of older kittens already sorted out, they all grow up in the end!

That would be a better option i think if i were to get two. ;) The problem is i never let the animals go without.... meaning i could end up eating beans on toast whilst they munched gourmet dinners. :innocent:  :evillaugh:

You'll get used to that - and not canned beans either - the dry ones you soak and cook are a lot cheaper :rofl:

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 20:43:18 PM »
Its better to have 1 and be able to cope easily instead of stretching things  :hug:
You could consider adopting a pair of older kittens already sorted out, they all grow up in the end!

That would be a better option i think if i were to get two. ;) The problem is i never let the animals go without.... meaning i could end up eating beans on toast whilst they munched gourmet dinners. :innocent:  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 20:34:20 PM »

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 20:29:20 PM »
Hello, sorry been offline with a nasty cold. :tired:

It's not so much the upkeep for 2 which is worrying me, just the initial year really with jabs and neutering etc i really don't know if i can afford double those costs. :-: I shall have a think and a check of finances though and get back to you Julie. :)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 17:52:52 PM »
Deffo go for two :)  I went for one or two, and ended up with three haha! (well, I couldn't leave little Sabby on his own, now could I?).  But it was soooo worth it  :Luv2:  It really adds a new dimension seeing them interact with each other, and they aren't going to get lonely if you have to go away, or when you're at work.  Good luck - hope the right kittens find you very soon! :)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 19:20:21 PM »
I'd go for 2 as well if you possibly can. Three of mine are siblings and they're great company for each other, mine wash, play and sleep together all the time. Good luck, Beth, hope you find the right one soon

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 22:40:40 PM »
No sign of Beth yet....  :shify:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 21:49:15 PM »
I planned to get one and got 2, everyone is right about it being nice for them to have another kitty to play with, although I can't say much about our flat being any less destroyed by them, they fly around after each other knocking things over all the time!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 21:25:46 PM »
Go on Beth - two really dont work out much more expensive - and you save money on them trashing your house as they have each other to play with! ;)

That is so true, and its great to watch them play together. And for the cost, rather than get my lot flea & wormers from the vets, i buy online from Pet M***cs
(dont know if i can say their name)
And when we had our rescue bully (now at the bridge  :'(  :() who was always at the vet with skin problems etc, i then also had 3 cats & they offered me a scheme to pay
into, which would cover costs.
We aint rich & got money to waste, but i am going to be takin on another baby(so will have 4 furry babies) because another little mouth to feed is not really noticable in cost.
But the love in return will be priceless  :Luv:

Go on have 2, you wont regret it, honest  :briggin:  :Luv2:
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 20:50:05 PM »
Go on Beth - two really dont work out much more expensive - and you save money on them trashing your house as they have each other to play with! ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 15:57:50 PM »
Ooooo - that sounds like a plan! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 15:46:30 PM »
Beth! Beth!  :attention:

Was it the one kitten or will you take two?  :sneaky: I spotted an ad from the Southampton area on pre*****  :innocent: Free to a good home, etc.  :tired: The ads says they're 12 weeks and were found dumped and the bloke offering them wants them to stay together. Doesn't sound like a breeder but someone who rescued them from a bin and can't find anyone to take them.  :shify:

If you're interested, let me know and I'll make contact on your behalf.  ;)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 13:01:26 PM »
Just to let you all know, i've just phoned the breeder and told a little porky :innocent: and said that i've got another kitten sorted.

Soooo, i'm still looking, will be keeping in contact with those i've already tried, but if anyone has any more contacts please let me know. :)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
Beth, I know you said the kitten you were potentially buying was only 9 days old so I'm assuming you aren't planning on getting a kitten til after Christmas? Just something to think about as a lot of rescues don't do much rehoming in December because a lot of people are only after animals as Christmas presents.

No,, it'd be ready to go mid Jan, tbh January would be a slightly better time for me as i have a family wedding to go to at the end of Dec, so will be away for a whole day. I have dog sitters booked anyway but i'd still prefer not to leave a new cat/kitten that early on.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »
Beth, I know you said the kitten you were potentially buying was only 9 days old so I'm assuming you aren't planning on getting a kitten til after Christmas? Just something to think about as a lot of rescues don't do much rehoming in December because a lot of people are only after animals as Christmas presents.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 10:42:30 AM »
Beth, I have pm'd you.

Unfortunately, the little ones I have are too small to be going anywhere in the foreseeable future and unfortunately Star and Blip are unable to go with children, having been returned from a home where they did not get on with the kiddies.

If I should get any come in that I think may be suitable I will let you know first.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
Excellent news. Hope you find the kitten you're looking for the kitten finds you! ;)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »
So glad you might be able to find some rescue kittens! As a couple of people mentioned before, Lesley lives in Gosport, which isn't far (maybe 1/2 hr drive) and she has kittens of varying ages at the moment (I go round for kitty cuddles fairly regularly so I know quite a few of them now!), they are used to dogs (she has several) and certainly used to people and other cats, most are totally laid back.
If you need a hand with anything, whichever rescue you go to, I live in Whiteley Village and would be happy to help!

I did contact Lesley a while ago and she didn't have anything suitable at the time, will send her another message. :)

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:05 AM »
So glad you might be able to find some rescue kittens! As a couple of people mentioned before, Lesley lives in Gosport, which isn't far (maybe 1/2 hr drive) and she has kittens of varying ages at the moment (I go round for kitty cuddles fairly regularly so I know quite a few of them now!), they are used to dogs (she has several) and certainly used to people and other cats, most are totally laid back.
If you need a hand with anything, whichever rescue you go to, I live in Whiteley Village and would be happy to help!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Well done, Beth!  :wow: :hug: :hug:

Kim works part time and does some odd hours so can't always answer the phone. I've also got her mobile if you want to leave a message. Like I say, she's so busy she can't always update her website and these babies haven't been listed yet as they need to finish meds.  ;)

Do let us know if she was able to help.  :naughty:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:59 AM »
good luck Beth!

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »
Okay, Beth...  :attention:

I've just had an email response from the lady called Kim at New Forest Animal Rescue. She says she has plenty of rescued kittens but same are poorly and need to finish getting better before she can rehome them. She says you are welcome to come see them and have a chat.  ;) If you need a phone number, please PM me but I think all the contact details are on the link I gave. I told her your may be making contact.  :)

:wish:

Thank you so much Julie. :thanks: i've just tried ringing but no answer so i'll try again later today. I had seen the site but as there were none on there i didn't think they had any in. :innocent:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 09:06:02 AM »
Okay, Beth...  :attention:

I've just had an email response from the lady called Kim at New Forest Animal Rescue. She says she has plenty of rescued kittens but same are poorly and need to finish getting better before she can rehome them. She says you are welcome to come see them and have a chat.  ;) If you need a phone number, please PM me but I think all the contact details are on the link I gave. I told her your may be making contact.  :)

:wish:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:51 AM »
I really don't want to sound down on anyone who has bought a kitten.  :hug: It's not my intention to preach or to make a caring owner feel bad, but I do want to educate and lead folks to the more moral alternative the next time they choose a pet. And I'm sure others here in rescue feel the same.  :) I do appreciate what you say, Psychopunk, about rescues not being willing to rehome to a squat... but you also say a stray has adopted you, so you see there is always a way to rescue a cat. Well done for taking Cuscus in.  :naughty: :hug:

We see this with not just cats, but also certain breeds of dogs and smaller animals. Apparently small animal rescues are being overrun with Sugar Fliers and Degas. There is a massive black market to supply fashionable pets to folks prepared to pay. And we have hard evidence that forking out even hundreds of pounds doesn't make a responsible owner. Many - although I admit this isn't always the case - will pay because they simply cannot wait for the right rescue animal or don't know where to look to find one or they just want that perfect IN colour, breed or shape.

We also live in a disposable society and it's all too simple to cast aside a pet if you're bored or if you fall for horror stories you see in the press - why is it so many loving family pet Staffies are abandoned at the shelters, yet STILL idiots carry on breeding new ones and demand and get hundreds of pounds for them.  >:( I could post links to video pleas of animal pound staff making pleas for it all to stop as it breaks their hearts leading healthy, loving animals to their death... but I won't because most of us can't take the distress and the sight of all those corpses.  :'( :'( :'(

A market of any sort relies upon demand to keep trading. Take away the willing buyers and there's no point in breeding, is there?  :shy:

Preaching over... I promise!  :hug: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline psychopunk

• Adult Cat
  • pipsqueak & cuscus (not in the picture)
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 00:48:39 AM »
I understand people here don't like non-pedigree cats being sold, but if somebody is willing to pay, hopefully they are going to be responsible pet owners who have thought it over. Not just getting a kitten for free because it's free. But then again some other people would just breed their cats and try to make as much profit as they can.  :( I live in London and have seen the most amazingly high prices asked  :Crazy: Originally I come from Latvia. There are so many homeless cats, my mum's involved in a rescue work and I can tell you it's very very difficult to find any homes (indoor or outdoor) for the poor homeless kitties. And nobody in hundred years would pay any money for moggies.
Have to admit I had to pay for my kitten (Pipsqueak) because no rescues would give me a kitten/cat. I live in a squat and we change the address at least every 2 years, also I can't get the permission from the landlord or any such thing. In the future we plan to get our own place, but for now it is the way it is. While living in our recent place Cuscus (adult cat) has adopted us  :Luv:. We haven't moved with both cats yet, I really hope it goes smoothly.
When I bought my kitten I didn't pay too much (approx the price what you would pay for him getting vet checked, wormed,fed), also made sure people were alright and they did spay their cat afterwards. We are still in touch, they get update pictures with Pipsqueak growing up.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 00:24:49 AM »
Add... I just found the details!  :wow:

http://www.freewebs.com/newforestanimalrescue/index.htm

I know this lady has cats (and probably plenty of kittens) available but is way too overworked to update her website. But I have written asking if she has anything in. It's got to be worth checking out first, isn't it? ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 00:08:29 AM »
I can't agree with buying kittens from amatuer moggy breeders, I'm afraid. For whatever reason. I personally have had to nurse the sick and dying results of back street breeders and all the time people keep buying, they will keep breeding.  :'(

Beth, I do know of a rescue based in the New Forest area.  I am sure they will help you find the perfect puss if you decide it's best and you can wait a while longer.  :hug: Unfortunately their website is down so I can't find the contact details right now. And also as Mark says, Lesley is not that far away either.  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 23:43:36 PM »
Beth, whereabouts are you located? (If you don't want to post on here PM me) I do a site for a lady in Blackpool and I know some of her cats are fine with dogs and kids.

I'm in the new forest, just outside Southampton. If i could get a rescue instead i would happily do so. :(

Lesley who is a member on here has a rescue in Gosport - that is quite close isn't it?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 23:45:04 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 23:35:39 PM »
I have a choice between 2 girls, a black and white long haired and a dark grey short haired, and i'm currently leaning towards the grey, but will see which one is the bravest as they grow up.

Can't you have the both of them ?
Kittens do better in pairs and it would be a shame to split them up

I'd love to have two, unfortunately i have to be sensible and although i can afford all the costs for one, i think 2 would be stretching it a bit with vaccs neutering etc.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 23:31:45 PM »
Are you paying for them?  :-: Hum people like this (the breeders) will never learn when people continue to pay.

Im sure there would be a rescue that would have just what your looking for?

I understand where you are coming from CC
but its better that someone like Beth is having the kitten rather than someone who wouldnt look after it properly.
The kittens are going to be sold come what may !

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 23:30:14 PM »
I have a choice between 2 girls, a black and white long haired and a dark grey short haired, and i'm currently leaning towards the grey, but will see which one is the bravest as they grow up.

Can't you have the both of them ?
Kittens do better in pairs and it would be a shame to split them up

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 23:30:03 PM »
Beth, whereabouts are you located? (If you don't want to post on here PM me) I do a site for a lady in Blackpool and I know some of her cats are fine with dogs and kids.

I'm in the new forest, just outside Southampton. If i could get a rescue instead i would happily do so. :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 22:54:30 PM »

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 20:45:52 PM »
Are you paying for them?  :-: Hum people like this (the breeders) will never learn when people continue to pay.

Yes... unfortunately.
I have looked, finding a dog/child friendly cat in rescue has proved harder than i thought :(

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 20:39:13 PM »

Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
I've found my kitten
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 20:28:18 PM »
I've been searching for a rescue kitten to join my family to no avail, and although i really didn't want to buy i'd seen a litter advertised locally and went to see them today. They're just 9 days old at the moment and utterly gorgeous. :Luv2: Mum and all other cats are well cared for and very friendly, and mum will be getting spayed after this litter. ;) I figure at least i can guarantee that this one will have a good home. (and be spayed before being let out :innocent:)

I am sooooooo excited, and will be spending lots of money on zooplus in the near future i'm sure! (I'll click the purrs link to make sure money is donated :))

Link to CatChat