Author Topic: Older/Elderly Cats  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Older/Elderly Cats
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 21:59:04 PM »
We have taken on 5 older cats in the last few years - all have had medical conditions and some have cost well in to 4 figures for the diagnosis and we have paid and loved them for all their time with us

Currently we have Miss gracie our 19 y.o feral with a mouth tumour on steroids and antibiotic, Hills A/d and anything else she likes - we have been owned by her for 4 wonderful years and now in the twilight of her life will with the vets wonderful care hopefully keep her for that bit longer

We have also taken on another older feral - Miss Cissy aged 14 and her 2 kittens aged 8 - Cissy will be having a dental shortly and full bloods plus injections and the CP branch who asked us to take this 3 have offered to foot the bill but they are lovely cats and now Clan members so we will cover the costs ourselves and they will live as house cats for the rest of the time they have - hopefully a lot of nice home comfort years

As we now cater for 44 of our own and about 9 outside all I can say is older cats are greatful, don't trash the place and add a wonderful dynamic to any family

Our oldies are 19, 17 - had her from 4 weeks and she rules this lot with a paw of iron, 13 our feral Alpha male and diabetic to,and another at 13 with sensitive tummy issues and no litter training (oh the joy) and the rest are under 10 so its nice to have the older ones keeping the youngsters in check

Ours do range from 19 years young to baby beijing at 5 weeks so we cater for various food groups and ages, oh and we also have a jack Russell Jaz aged 13 with a heart murmer, sensitive tummy and a hormonal Border Collie aged 15 months!

Not cheap but all are loved and wanted and the majority of the cats are feral and not for normal homes and we both work full time to cater  for their every whim and need and then some and visit the vet 12 months of the year for normal stuff!!  :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 21:27:26 PM »
Personally, the age of any rescue cats I give a home to has no bearing on whether they are chosen or not. Any cat, regardless of age deserves a loving home to live out the rest of their days. If I had my way, I would only adopt elderly or disabled cats as I know these are overlooked the most by potential adoptees, but I have to consider my partner who believes that younger cats will live longer and be healthier.  :-:

We tend to compromise and have had cats of varying ages though one rescue cat we adopted last year sadly died in December despite being relatively young.  :(

Life is unpredictable and no-one can know how long our feline friends will live for, regardless of age. So I would advise anyone considering adopting a cat to give equal consideration to all cats whether they be 2 years old or 20 years old.  :)

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 08:05:20 AM »
i do too - to me, they aren't oldies till they are 12. So when people ring up for an older cat and they mean 3-5, I find it odd. They are just young adults then.
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 16:54:30 PM »
I find it interest to see what other people class as 'older'. I've seen references to cats of 3-5 years being thought of as older.  :innocent: To me, an older cat is one above 10 years. Anything below that is more middle aged and 3-5 would be young.

Excellent point - I noticed that too and thought - wow  those cats at 3-5 have at least another ten years in them if they remain healthy.

Certainly when I got Bertie at 7, it didn't even enter my head that he may be classed as old until I realised he was qualifying to be classes as senior with some food brands lol  :rofl: But for me the fact that he had to be PTS at just before his 10th birthday is young, way younger than he should have been - especially now I see how fit and active my two coming up for 12 are!!  :Luv2:

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 15:53:47 PM »
I find it interest to see what other people class as 'older'. I've seen references to cats of 3-5 years being thought of as older.  :innocent: To me, an older cat is one above 10 years. Anything below that is more middle aged and 3-5 would be young.

I think I saw a discusion recently which made the point that vet science has improved so much that pets are living longer. More conditions are treatable and surgeries less complex. This will be the reason why RR notices more elderly cats in rescue - because there's simply more of them around.  ;)

ccmacey

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 13:48:42 PM »
I think when the day is done I will just get oldies, I will be in the rescues getting cats nobody wants, I really do feel for them.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 13:41:33 PM »
Sorry Baggy, but the first part of your post and the last seemed to be running on different lines.

It’s difficult – I think that the fact your cat might not have long with you is probably more off-putting than the vets' bills, and although old doesn’t always mean unhealthy you’re more likely to end up paying for some ongoing treatment, so I can see why people are more reluctant to take one on.

We lost a couple of our family cats when they were only a year or 18 months old from leukaemia and FIV, sadly having a young cat is no guarantee of longevity or low vet bills.

So I was a bit confused. Easily done!  :-[
I always make perfect sense to myself!  :Crazy:
As is evident now - the first part of the post isn't my opinion - but was just saying that the perception/assumption that you might not have as much time with an old cat as a young one might put someone off.  I should probably have just said that!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 19:26:23 PM by Baggy »

Offline lucy3

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »
i think older cats are great :Luv: i have taken on many in past even 18yr old, disabled, hospice cats and the reward of helping a cat live out rest of it days in safe peaceful home far outways the loss of them sooner, yes it hurts thing i always try to do as soon as able is to help another cat pet etc as feel that the best way to show i loved them helping others in need and there are so many in shelters, id rather spend my money on them than throw away on materialistic things i dont need they give me so much,
i feel people missing out so much when dont give older pets a chance too

Offline soudicca

• Adult Cat
  • Jake's mum
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
My previous four cats were all acquired as kittens. I was lucky there was very little ever wrong with them and they lived to a good age (well except Sam).  Jake on the other hand was a rescue cat.  He had been in the rescue for nearly a year and was approx. 4 yrs old.  Now 7 he is mellowing and although a big rufty tufty, will occasionally accept the odd cuddle.  He has also been known to have the odd conversation with me. 
Black cats rule
RIP Suki, Cleo, Jade & Sam

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 03:06:19 AM »
Sorry Baggy, but the first part of your post and the last seemed to be running on different lines.

It’s difficult – I think that the fact your cat might not have long with you is probably more off-putting than the vets' bills, and although old doesn’t always mean unhealthy you’re more likely to end up paying for some ongoing treatment, so I can see why people are more reluctant to take one on.

We lost a couple of our family cats when they were only a year or 18 months old from leukaemia and FIV, sadly having a young cat is no guarantee of longevity or low vet bills.

So I was a bit confused. Easily done!  :-[
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 19:02:51 PM »
sadly having a young cat is no guarantee of longevity or low vet bills. 

HK- Read posts!
Erm, yes either I'm missing something somewhere or Hippykitty is violently agreeing with me!  :evillaugh:!
My next cat will be another oldie... :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 14:19:49 PM »
There's something very special about an older cat I think.  I've been fascinated to see how my boys have changed from wild, mad kittens to troublesome teenagers to utterly sweet little old men. I love older pets in general; but you have to be able to cope with their loss too as of course they won't live as long as (most) younger cats. My little Swampy was absolutely mental until he was about 7 years old. Now he's 16 1/2 he's the most adorable little deaf old purrbag who loves nothing more than a cuddle. Now that he's near the end of his life I think I love him more desperately much than ever - he also needs his 'people' more. And my Max (not far off 15) is so much calmer, give or take the odd plastic chew!
I also think old dogs who are grey around the muzzle and just like sitting in the sun with their owners are awfully sweet.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 07:59:55 AM »
I agree about the behavioural issues, I find mine are much more willing to find their own space in the house than the younger ones, I Think it is cos they are happy to have a home life again that they are less willing to rock the boat. And while playful, they are a lot calmer with it than younger cats. I too wish more people would see the benefit to them.
Please spay your cat

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 23:17:38 PM »
I have never had a young cat - in childhood they were there before me and then of my own Bertie was 7 when I adopted him and lived to just before his 10th birthday (and had lots of vet bills) and passed and what I think is a young age for a cat.

My current two are 11 and (touch wood) depite coming with a benign tumour (Edgar) and a heart mumour (Oscar) they have caused no problems and required no vet visits so far.

I think I will always go for senior cats, they are far more laid back, their personalities are defined and they seem to be more affectionate. I also believed, which was backed up my reading 'The Cat Whisperer' that they have less behavioural problems - they just seem to have settled into life a bit more if that makes sense. A lot of my friends have problems with toileting when they have two or more cats or the cats having a mad half hour ever night   - mine just like to follow me and lie next to me  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

I have a lot of cat mad friends who all comment that after about 7 or 8 there cats seem to become more affectionate, more dependant on them and more relaxed and any toileting and territory issues lessen. Maybe they (and me) have just been lucky but there could be something in that!!

I think it is a shame that more people don't see the benefit of older cats - I love them  :Luv2:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 15:54:42 PM »
Actually I cant stand the naughtiness of kittens.

Phew, thought it was just me. ;) Was discussing this with my cousin the other week - my favourite age bracket is most definitely 3-5 for cats. Assured enough in their personalities to be themselves, but still active enough to want to amble about and such like.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 15:36:18 PM »
sadly having a young cat is no guarantee of longevity or low vet bills. 

HK- Read posts!

When the time has come for my lot I think I would adopt oldies, the only reason I have only had kittens is because Ted would never accept an older cat. Actually I cant stand the naughtyness of kittens.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
When we adopted ours, they kinda chose us  ;D We didn't know how old they were until we asked. We didn't go in looking for young cats, we didn't mind what age they were. It just so happens though that Tilly is now 2 years 7 months, Molly is 2 years 7 months, Holly is 3 years 7 months and Taco is 1 years 3 months.

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:28:18 AM »
One of the reasons I Take in oldies, is that my first cat when I lived on my own was a 14yo, she only had 9 weeks here, but then i decided I wanted to help a hard to home 'category' of cats, and the only things I could think of was old or behavioural. I went for old, but the rescue only had a 5yo, so I brought her home, then picked up an 11yo the week after - I had the 11yo longer than the 5 yo, Tig only had 8 months here, so I decided then that I would stick to oldies, it is painful at times, but offset by knowing that you gave them a loving home at the end, and that is the most important thing, so many cats aren't given that chance. And it is even easier now I have found insurance for them. Half the cats here are over the age of 12, and to me, they are nicer than young cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 02:02:33 AM »
Older cats can be insured especially if you do it straightaway before seeing a vet, just say they are a rescue cat or a stray.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 01:57:09 AM »
Baggy, you can never guarantee how long a cat will live. I have had 2yr olds die from Felv, but have healthy oldies. I don't have my oldies regularly blood checked, unless they are going to have an op, which is rare (Polly had her ear chopped off - cancer- and Sam was debunged).  Personally, I think I'm more likely to lose Fred and Vic, who are much younger, than Polly and Sam. Younger cats tend to die from things older cats shrug off, in my experience.

Even a healthy young cat can be hit by a car. There are no guarantees, no matter how young a cat is. It isn't a given that a young cat will be with you longer than an oldie.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:27:50 AM »

Having taken on Dinah at 18, we fret a bit about her health, her blood tests and kidney meds do cost quite a bit, and it’s incredibly sad to know she won’t be around forever…but it’s also incredibly satisfying to know that we’ve given her a happy loving home to spend her old age in, and she also loves us to bits.  Like woowoo, I think it’s that part that would make me want to take an oldie again.  :Luv:

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »
Yup     She like a lot of others believe taking on an old animal  will mean HUGE vet bills

Well what about my Ollie he is nearly 4 and Im going to be paying vets bills for the rest of his life, totaling around 20 a month thats just his normal meds.

I would adopt an oldie but will wait till my lot are oldies first.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
Allour cats no matter what age come with 6wks insurance and if the new owners keep that on then they can insure an older cat much easier.. Our only remit is that the cat has to be seen by a vet and of course no pre existing conditions apply. However, its a useful thing to tell people,  as insurance for older cats is something that is hard to cover...

We rehomed old Gus our thyroid puss with 16yrs of age with insurance and everything else is covered we pay for his existing condition. We will do the same with Charlie our diabetic puss cat as well...
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
Awww older cats are cute.
I adopted Tibby from Wigan CPL and he is 3 1/2 yrs - they had cute kittens - but he looked so sad and he picked us - lol
I love older cats  :Luv2: :Luv: :Luv2: :Luv:
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Offline woowoo

• Senior Cat
    • Four paws pet rescue Cumbria South
  • Slave to: Basil,Fred,Molly,Trevor,Pepe,Mabel, Odin(RIP) and the four dogs.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 09:06:15 AM »
No doubt she would say to the man this is the only thing he can do?

Who your mum?

I wouldnt mind adopting an older cat but I think the heartache of not having long with them would get to me  :(
But think of what a nice home it would have to live out those few years :Luv2: I don't care personally how old they are.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 08:56:28 AM »
It also to do with the fact that there are more older people living alone so no family to take on a cat and if there is a family they are not particularly bothered about taking on the cat - I'm glad I don't have any children to disappoint me!

Also I expect we may be seeing more of these animals offered up for rehoming when before they would be quietly pts and no one would be the wiser.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 07:39:23 AM »
Touching lots of wood here!

Polly and Samantha (21 and approx 18) have cost me less in vets bills than younger cats I've had. They seem to be robust, and I think this has developed with age. When you think about it, an older cat has been exposed to and overcome, more bugs and nasties than young cats, so have more inbuilt immunity. Their bodies are educated to fight disease.

I think that one of the reason why more older cats are up for homing is that cats who escape Felv etc are living much longer, yet the misconception still exists that its better to have a young cat. Kittens are far more expensive, vet wise, and much more vulnerable to illness and more likely to die if they become ill.

Kittens are cute, but a bl**dy nuisance imo. Give me a cat at least a year old, preferably much older, anyday. (Had to add in the year old thing so as not to offend Victoria and Fred!)

MBll

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:09:02 AM »

Who your mum?

Yup     She like a lot of others believe taking on an old animal  will mean HUGE vet bills

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 23:58:00 PM »

Who your mum?

I wouldnt mind adopting an older cat but I think the heartache of not having long with them would get to me  :(

MBll

Older/Elderly Cats
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 23:36:35 PM »
Is it me or do others see a rise of older /elderly cats up for rehoming?    I was saying to me mum about the wee 16 year old cat in greenock & she was telling about  me  about a wee 17 year in boarding with her the elderly man that has her cant keep any more as he is going into a care home & i dont think  hes got anyone to  take the cat.   

My mum, probably  like a lot of others believe that no one wants old animals so the only option is PTS.  No doubtshe would say to the man this is the only thing he can do?

Link to CatChat