Author Topic: Zirtek (for me not cat) - side effects?  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Zirtek (for me not cat) - side effects?
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 17:12:31 PM »
I've never had side effects to Zirtek, but I have heard that you can get used to a particular anti histamine and they can stop working for that reason.  Maybe try a different one (with a different active ingredient).  I think clarityn contains something different to zirtek, and one of the benadryl ones something different again.  Might be worth rotating them.  I've been taking benadryl lately because Zirtek seemed to stop working (and I started taking that because clarityn had stopped working).  Might go back to clarityn again because the benadryl doesn't seem to be as effective as it used to be.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 21:48:16 PM »
I use flixonase as well and its really good ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 19:53:50 PM »
If otc drugs dont work then go to your doctor for something stronger. Piriton always make me sleepy so prefer ceterizine or loratazine. Once you find one that works save money by buying the generic version, yes the packaging design is crappy but its same drug inside (check the strength tho)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 16:38:03 PM »
I use flixonase in the Summer for my hay fever and it is pretty good.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 16:30:47 PM »
My husband uses Zirtek (not every day) and it doesn't make him drowsy. Have you tried a nasal spray like Flixonase (prescription) - for yourself, not for Lily! The French do a weird but effective treatment if your problem's mostly nasal, which is to inhale salt water. I have no idea if the chemists here sell it (pump action thing). Stings quite a lot, but works! HTH.
Is there anyone else who could do your vacuuming for you as that might help too; apparently even with the fancy dust mite sucking vacuum cleaners when you actually do the dusting or vacuuming, you get a lot up your nose and into your respiratory system. Someone else would have to brush Lily too :(

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 16:17:56 PM »
I don't really want to start using anything on Lily at the moment as she has some skin sores and we're not sure what's causing them.  It might be a skin allergy to something so I'm trying to minimise anything new and especially anything that she comes into contact with.  So wipes and shampoos are out of the question at the moment.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 16:13:48 PM »
I believe there is something that you can wipe your cats coat with but cant remember what its called

Petal Cleanse, but you can get other brands which are similar.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 14:30:46 PM »
They have non-drowsy ones as well. If you look at the active ingredient, they always have an own brand or cheapo brand with exactly the same active ingredient for about 1/4 of the price. I have heard some people recommend a homeopathic one called New era http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/alternative_medicines/medicines/n/new%20era/new_era_hayfever_tablets.htm

My sister has been raving about a machine she bought for her sons hayfever. She hasn't used it yet but heard good things about it. The snag is, you have to put the probes up you nose and it shines a light up them or something - I can find out what it is called.

I just did a search on the active ingredient - Cetirizine Hyrochloride and someone on moneysaving expert says they are selling unbranded ones in Asda 20p for 7  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 14:38:53 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 14:21:07 PM »
I took this for hayfever and had strange reaction cos it is supposed to be none drowsy and it wiped me out.

I believe there is something that you can wipe your cats coat with but cant remember what its called

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 14:05:01 PM »
Thanks, that's the other thing I was hoping would help, letting Lily outside during the day.  She has a buster collar on at the moment and I'm trying to organise getting a cat flap fitted, so hopefully in a few weeks she'll be coming and going as she pleases (not after dark though).

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 14:01:26 PM »
I knew someone who was allergic to fur and had an indoor cat, I think she took piriton (sp)

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
Zirtek (for me not cat) - side effects?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 13:59:30 PM »
Does anyone else suffer from cat allergies and take Zirtek (anti-histamine) daily?  If so, have you found any side effects?

I've got an eir purifier with a hepa filter and I noticed the difference after a few weeks but the runny nose and wheezing has returned slowly.  I tried using the allergy wipes but Lily hates them and has some sores at the moment so I'm trying to eliminate stuff she might be allergic to.  I vaccuum twice a week (have carpets everywhere) and leave my windows open most mornings to clear the air.  I can't stop her coming into the bedroom (open plan) but have put a throw over my bed so she doesn't sleep on my pillows during the day.  I have considered bathing her in plain water once a month but would rather not.

Should I be doing anything else or will Zirtek totally get rid of my symptoms?  They are liveable but obviously would rather not continue to use a forest worth of tissue every day and the coughing and wheezing make doing any exercise (I love running) quite difficult.  I would never get rid of Lily just cos of my allergy but would like to enjoy living with her more.

Link to CatChat