Author Topic: There isn't going to be anyone left soon!!  (Read 5763 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: There isn't going to be anyone left soon!!
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 18:52:03 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: there are subtle differences, yes, although at least they are both carnivorous  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 18:39:21 PM »
Doh yes of course ,a bit different to having a hedgehog at the bottom of the garden!

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 17:52:37 PM »
Pity there is no scale on those pix - the one who lived in my back garden in Grafton was long enough to reach the top of the birdfeeding bowl (which at 5'10" I could see into on tip toes) and still leave a couple of feet of tail on the ground, while bending his head over the sides of the bowl to reach the food ( a lot of australian native birds are carnivorous).

He would have taken a large chunk out of me, let alone a cat ... needless to say my cats lived indoors at that address ... ;D

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 17:47:55 PM »
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 17:37:10 PM »
Sorry blackcat but what are goannas and should I be  :scared:

PS Still cant understand why you are over here :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 17:24:13 PM »
The only thing that would put me off having a cat in Oz is the worry of them being bit by a poisonous snake and or spider, a taxi driver told us thats how he lost one of his dogs.

It's the goannas that are the real worry - that and pythons  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 17:19:30 PM »
We went to Australia Zoo last year whilst traveling around Oz they had a memorial wall  for Steve Erwin, featuring gifts and tributes that had been sent from around the world after his death, it was very touching such a waste of life. The only thing that would put me off having a cat in Oz is the worry of them being bit by a poisonous snake and or spider, a taxi driver told us thats how he lost one of his dogs.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 14:24:50 PM »
Oz/NZ - No. Hot, Killy Spiders, not best attitude to cats in places I'd like to live if I had to move there. Not enough water. Fires.

accurate description of Oz, but not of NZ - no (or very small spiders, plenty of rain, can be hot, but also snows, and fires are generally grass fires).

And unless things have changed radically since i left there are no states in australia where cats are classed as vermin. And the attitude of 'fair game' is limited to a noisy minority, rather than a generally supported view ...

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
Well all cats would be welcome in my Rescue -

Must admit I did check the loo seat evey time just in case.  :)

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 11:35:56 AM »
Oz/NZ - No. Hot, Killy Spiders, not best attitude to cats in places I'd like to live if I had to move there. Not enough water. Fires.
America - No. Americans ( no offence Sab ).
Middle East - No.
Europe - No.

I like our seasons, I couldn't move anywhere that was hot all the time.

I'd like to win the lottery please, a big win, so I could buy a nice island somewhere, and could invite fellow fluff-covered shut-in Purrers to visit with their cats on holiday.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
Australia :scared:

Last time I read anything about it Cats were classed as vermin by a lot of states and fair game for shooting if out at night??

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Wow -

House a bit dated on the interior but a spot of paint and some new furnishings - 108K  :censored: hell.  I'm out there, already put my offer in  :evillaugh:

we went to Oz and NZ 2 year ago. going back to NZ next year, to so the north island. Sydney is grand, I loved it. It's great if your not proud to be an Aussie then get is the motto. Their Priminister is not afraid to say what he thinks and he means what he says. You dont mess with him.
 When we were there Steve Erwin was killed by that stingray, I have the Sydney Herald with all the reports. It was a sad time.

It was really weird - we were going to the Blue mountains/ Genollan caves and was stuck in traffic (they were lobbing trees) - I was reading the excursions in the pamphlet on the seat and saw Steve Ewrin in there and thought I'd love to go see him & his Zoo. Thinking it was Sydney (dozey devil) -  but then realized and thougt too far - next time.  Then a few hours later (in real time maybe minutes) it was announced he had died. What a shock.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 10:38:58 AM »
My inlaws would have gone to Australia but one set of parents pitched a fit so they never did (instead my husbands cousin just moved to New Zealand), one of my mother in laws sisters moved to Canada.

Husband however wouldn’t move to the United States as he hates Americans (I’m not sure exactly how that works as I’m one), he did love the weather in San Diego and all the attention he received from women (due to the accent).

I moved over here with my cat Penguin and would have had Little Girl as well if she had won the battle with liver failure. It wasn’t cheap and from the way Penguin walked out of the crate when he arrived (like he owned the place) it was way more stress on me than him.

If we moved we’d take them all no matter what and in worst case my in laws have been trying to catnap from us for years anyway.

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »
Showing us that house is really mean BC.  It just sickens me how our house prices are so high compared with countries like Australia or New Zealand.  We nearly went to Oz in the 60's but got cold feet - I don't know if we did the right thing or not but we have a pretty good life, so are lucky I suppose.

But that house is beautiful. (sigh)

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 20:42:22 PM »
Well, when I retire back home, how about you all come visit me  :wow: this is the most recent house I found that I liked ... but since my employers seem to have remembered they have a conscience (and a legal obligation to me) it may be a while and the house in question will have been sold by then, I suspect (although I do keep buying lotto tickets so anything might happen  :wow: )

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=104653785&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&cc=&c=25508116&s=tas&snf=rbs&tm=1204144620

Oh, and that price in pounds? £108,350.00!!  :wow:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 20:28:31 PM »
I wouldnt go to an EU country but Aussie or a Carribean Island would be the place for me  :rofl:

Now I have health probs however this is a non-starter although one or my health probs would be seriously helped by all that sun  ;D

I was fed up back in 2002/3 in Uk and now I am in Wales I have just had enough.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »
In the 60's my mum came very close to doing the "emigrate to Australia for £10" thing. She said she still doesn't know why she changed her mind and wished she hadn't.

So you'd be an Aussie if she had of - and possibly be called Bruce  :)

Well one of My dads brothers and one of his sisters did it so I have aussie cousins  ;D - although my aunt didn't do the £10 thing, she met a rich aussie here and went to live there. They came back for a while in the 70's but decided to go back - maybe something to do with the fact that her husband's dad gave them a shop in the shopping centred he owned in surfers paradise  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 11:45:23 AM »
I went to Australia last year and would go back in a shot if I could. I for one am sick of paying taxes and getting nothing back in return (married no children work full time). Utility companies seem to have a licence to print money ie British Gas. Fuel prices keep going up and up, nobody protests along with taxes and MPs only think about lining their pockets. Yes we have a good health service but working in it I also see people abusing it who have never paid a days tax in their lives. I also remind my Dad about how he nearly became a £10 pom he backed out at the last min >:(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:10 AM »
In the 60's my mum came very close to doing the "emigrate to Australia for £10" thing. She said she still doesn't know why she changed her mind and wished she hadn't.

This is what a couple of my Aunts and Uncles did, I've got relatives in Cananda and also Auss.......jammy  :censored:  If I had the money, I think I would seriously consider it but it would have to be somewhere that I can continue to do what I do, and of course I'd have to be able to take all my babes with me  :Luv:  :Luv:  One of my brothers moved to Benidorm a few years ago and loves it but somehow I don't think that would be my sort of place  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 11:38:30 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »

My parents did that, but came back to the UK again as my mum missed her family too much.  I could have been an Aussie beach babe  ;)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:18:40 AM »

So you'd be an Aussie if she had of - and possibly be called Bruce  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »
Australia or New Zealand for me - If I was 15 years younger I'd be off like a shot.

of couse my babes would be with me - they leave at the same time, as I they would be prepared - injections / passport.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »
The Grass is always greener the other side of the fence.. But if you look into the government and culture of many EU countries, you may realise that we dont have it too bad..

For instance wages, health service, bureacacy and in some countries "its who you know" that gets thing done!  It might be sunny and less crowded but when you need something say healthwise UK isnt that bad..

Writing abit about Greece, even the Greeks are fed up with policies and corruption in their government. Since most EU countries are now in with the Euro, cost of living has gone up but their salaries have remained static..

why do you think people still come here!

Yes, lovely to think about but when you really need help and support despite all the things wrong with the UK, compared to our EU neighbours we dont have it bad.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:12:44 AM »
We are thinking about it a few years down the line - although after that programme the other day, You have to be really careful where you go. They say British ex-pats are being targetted by Eastern European gangs in Spain. People are being robbed and stabbed. Lots of people are moving inland as they are so scared but the gangs are moving inland too. There was one couple who have lived in Spain for 20 years but have ended up leaving their luxury house empty and moving into a one-bed flat as they have been attacked in their own home twice and had axes etc held to their heads  :scared:

PS Des - the people emigrating are being replaced by all the pregnant ones - aren't they the other type?  :tired:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:14:08 AM by Mark »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:04:45 AM »
Yes, me too - would love to leave this country -its going downhill fast .
Wouldn''t like to put my 4 through a long journey though  (Smartie howling 14 miles there and back to the vets today was bad enough !!!)
I suppose me and the cats are all getting on a bit now - if i had gone when i was younger -i wouldn;t have had these wonderful pussycat family that i have now.
They are all the family i have and need .

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 00:37:14 AM »
Oh my , you are on form tonight  :rofl: :rofl:

I thought that was a broad, not abroad  :evillaugh:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 00:33:44 AM »
No like abroad  :rofl:

abroad is that like a girl/woman? :rofl:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 00:30:29 AM »
No like abroad  :rofl:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 00:29:15 AM »
I was thinking about retiring abroad, some where warm and sunny.

Like the Isle of Wight? :rofl:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 00:14:30 AM »
Have to say if I was younger and healthy I would be thinking of it too!

Just before I had to stop working, I was thinking about retiring abroad, some where warm and sunny.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
There isn't going to be anyone left soon!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 22:10:11 PM »
Was a comment made by the rescue lady today - the cat I took in yesterday was due to owner emigrating, and we have had 2 more calls today due to people emigrating (don't think we had any yesterday) - we normally get a lot of these kind of calls in September, not used to them at this time of year though.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat