Author Topic: Senior cats Insurance  (Read 13015 times)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Re: Senior cats Insurance
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »
I just got Josh insured a few months ago for less than £100 for the year. He's 13
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
Hi Caledonia, just a word of warning before you part with your pennies - more like pounds, with insurance!  Most insurers want a full medical history from when the cat was a kitten, for their pre-existing conditions exclusions. If there are gaps, they *may* not pay when you make a claim. The more honest ones will make this clear. However, say one of the cats gets X disease at some point, if their previous vets (if there are any) are willing to give you a note saying they were the treating vet and the cat has never been treated nor suffered from this illness before, that may be ok.

Oh really - maybe Tesco were really cood then. I got Bertie from the Edinburgh Cat protection League and as far as I know they did not have his history - and Tesco paid out over £300 for his first bout of illness in 2006. Maybe the rescue's vets confirmed he had been ok.  Will bear that in mind - thanks

thanks to everyone elese for the suggestions too  - keep them coming lol!!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:36:27 AM »
caledonia  are you getting your cats from CP or a rescue.. Many CP branches now to the Petplan insurance and as long as you continue the ins after the 6wks period they will insure any cat up to any age..

I use Pinnancle and have done for a few years, no problems with them paying out for me.. It is difficult to find senior cat insurance.. I was told that PDSA do a good scheme as well....Generally with insurance if its too good to be true it usually is..

Just found out that Halifax does older cat insurance.. Although no experience with them at all. PDSA also do senior pet insurance

Thanks for that. I am actually, subject to home checks, getting them from the UKRCC (they are on the re-homing pages - Oscar and Edgar) and tjust thought I should start checking out insurance now as don't envisage any probs with the checks (She says - she hopes more like!!)

I will check out these - thanks

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »
Hi Caledonia, just a word of warning before you part with your pennies - more like pounds, with insurance!  Most insurers want a full medical history from when the cat was a kitten, for their pre-existing conditions exclusions. If there are gaps, they *may* not pay when you make a claim. The more honest ones will make this clear. However, say one of the cats gets X disease at some point, if their previous vets (if there are any) are willing to give you a note saying they were the treating vet and the cat has never been treated nor suffered from this illness before, that may be ok.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
caledonia  are you getting your cats from CP or a rescue.. Many CP branches now to the Petplan insurance and as long as you continue the ins after the 6wks period they will insure any cat up to any age..

I use Pinnancle and have done for a few years, no problems with them paying out for me.. It is difficult to find senior cat insurance.. I was told that PDSA do a good scheme as well....Generally with insurance if its too good to be true it usually is..

Just found out that Halifax does older cat insurance.. Although no experience with them at all. PDSA also do senior pet insurance
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:44:46 AM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »
I was going to suggest axa as well. ive just insured Amber through them and shes 9. I have Mogs with More than and wouldnt recomend them. Shes 16 and has high blood pressure so I cant change now. Her cover last year went up from £14.99 a month to £19.99 a month and when I asked they just said its her age. I wouldnt mind but the cost of the tablets is about £30 a year  >:(
love
Tab

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:52:05 AM »

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Senior cats Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »
Hello all,

My last wee man was insured with Tesco who were reasonable enough but being my first cat in adulthood I didn't realise the 'only covered for 12 months' rule until I needed it. So as the vet didn't find out what caused both bouts of Bertie anemia (and I am assured there would have been an underlying reason) then I am not covered for the £600 in fees at the end of last year -  :( :( :(!!!

So I am in the processing of trying to adopt two senior boys aged 11 - fingers crossed! I have been trying to check out insurers and I realised that most don't cover over 8 years old and I am struggling to find one that will cover for more than 12 months without costing a fortune! A tall order I know  :rofl: :rofl:!!

But if anyone has any suggestions for a good insurer that will cover senior cats for more than 12 months I would love to hear about them. Most quotes I am getting are between 10-18 pound but all have just been for 12 months - I would like cover for the duration of the condition!!

Muchos gracias :Crazy:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat