Author Topic: Is this degrading to Sphynxes?  (Read 12921 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Is this degrading to Sphynxes?
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2008, 14:36:56 PM »
Hels .... I think we need to see some pics of Connie so all us Sphynx lovers can see how gorgeous she is and maybe we can covert those who are still abit "unsure" of the smoothies  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2008, 10:59:03 AM »
Depends Nic. My cousin was telling me her cat doens't have whiskers but he does get some furry bits on his tail and his paws but its very fine.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2008, 22:31:43 PM »
They sound lovely! :Luv: I have to admit it's the expressive face, large ears and beautiful, mezmerising eyes that do it for me :Luv2: One question though (it's hard to see from the pics) - if they are almost hairless, do they still have whiskers, or are these smaller / shorter than in furred cats?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008, 19:34:20 PM »
Yep defo high maintenence cats..much more than furry ones.  I think they generally have samey rex personalitys, perhaps a little more timid than some (but so can cornish & devons, laperms seem in general very bold)

Incidentally theres a laperm woman who has 1 sphynx (Penni I think but not 100% sure) and it has hair  :-:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008, 19:25:19 PM »
 :evillaugh: Cody rarely minds much!

I only really do have my cousin's cat as the only point of reference for my own experience. Those eyes are absolutely engaging. Its like they can see what you are thinking. I guess its the fact that he doesn't have whiskers or anything else to detract from the eyes that makes them so fascinating to me. I have to admit that when I first saw this breed (photos) I did wonder and thought maybe not for me, but after seeing them for real. Wow.

They are high maintenance though. He has to be bathed as his natural oils darken his skin to brown  :rofl: , and his natural grooming doesn't seem to clean up as well. He has to have his claws clipped frequently so that he doesn't scratch his skin. Furry cats have that natural barrier I guess and protects their skin even from their claws. But other than that, he's a naughty booger and has the whole household in his paw. Even my uncle who's a dog person. He loves the cat.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008, 19:18:41 PM »
I agree with susanne, something incredabily cute and endearing ESP the blue eyed ones, i mean the blue eyed kitten on the hissing cat pic is just the most gorgeous babe ever  :Luv:

as for the genetic thing well....lots of breeds are of fluke/freak genetic mutations and have been bred to keep the lines going but Cody doesnt mind in the slightest  ;) :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008, 19:13:17 PM »
Thanks Ruth, it is always useful to introduce fact into a conversation of this nature!  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 19:11:24 PM »
Some might find this interesting:

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/sphynx.html

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2008, 18:58:42 PM »
You'd never refer to a mixed-race person as a "genetic mutation" so why is it ok to do so when we are talking about animals???

A mixed race person is not a genetic mutation because their genes have not altered. A hairless cat is a genetic mutation because their natural state is to have fur. And, although I have not read all of the posts on this thread, I am not aware that anyone has suggested they are ugly. Please don't put words in our mouths. >:(

Offline LisaAndRufus

• Kitten
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008, 18:55:57 PM »
Sphynxes are fabulous - especially Hels' Connie.  I don't think any breed could ever be described as ugly - each cat is beautiful because of its own individuality.

And for those people saying it was cruel to breed a "genetic mutation" (what an appallingly disgusting turn of phrase) I read only today in a cat book, that the Sphynx actually evolved from street cats, so they are obviously tough enough to survive outside without a fluffy coat.

I agree with Hels - this is cat racism of sorts.  You'd never refer to a mixed-race person as a "genetic mutation" so why is it ok to do so when we are talking about animals???

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2008, 14:47:26 PM »
How strange Dawn?  :Crazy:

Maybe its fate...  :shify:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2008, 14:46:01 PM »
I had someone from another rescue earlier asking me if I ever get a Spynx in to give her first refusal  :Crazy:  She has been wanting one for ages for herself and I find it really bizarre talking about them on here and then someone asking about one, I've never before had anyone asking me about a Spynx  :shify:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2008, 14:43:08 PM »
I'd LOVE to meet a sphynx in real life, I think they are fab.  :Luv:

Every picture i've seen of a sphynx they look like they are full of personality and character, especially Hels' Connie. She is proabably the first one i've seen properly (aside from My Bigglesworth in Austin Powers  :evillaugh: ) and she is gorgeous

Has anybody seen the Devon Rex feature in Your Cat this month? I'm in love with the little colourpoint babe in it  :Luv: and i know Teresa has a big soft spot for the Rexs too  ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 14:46:53 PM by ems (nina+kiki's mum) »

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 13:44:32 PM »
GORGEOUS blue eyes  :Luv: :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 13:37:18 PM »
I remember that Lynn. My cousin's cat looks like the one in the bottom pic. He's just lush.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 13:36:50 PM »
There is something incredibly cute about them.  I've often wondered whether they groom themselves like furry furries. I don't know how much of that behaviour is instinct and how much practical hair dressing.

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 13:34:25 PM »
At least they dont leave kitty hair eveywhere.  :Luv2:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder  :Luv: ,  and even though i dont have a sphynx, I think they are beautiful.  Especially Hels' Connie -she is a Poppet  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 13:31:18 PM »
Gotta post these 2 pics, 1 ive posted before but i think its an excellent photo (from photo cat)

The bit under the hissing cats says
"Little Snitch or Disciplinary Moment
The adult cat is not hissing at the kitten - she is hissing at another adult cat behind the kitten"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 13:25:55 PM »
I dont know lol, wouldnt have thought so but their downy covering would protect them i should imagine.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 13:17:12 PM »
do they lick themselves less than furries?  Just wondering about the rough tongue!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 13:09:02 PM »
They are catogarised in the "rex" grouping  ;)  (yes the large ears & wedge shaped heads are all wonderful but then i would say that  :rofl:  )

as far as i am aware they do feel the cold alot more and you'd be highly unlikely to see one getting out up here any way, plus then in summer they have the added hazzard of sun burn so best for indoors only i reckon.

the only prob i think lack of hair causes is there is nothing to really absorb natural skin oils so they need regular bathing and care taken over their hygeine maintanence and rather than leave hair where they sleep they leave greasy patches.  I believe they can have skin probs sometimes due to the need for bathing all the time or the lack of it being done.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
Well I have to admit I have a soft spot for any unusual or "oddball" cat, whether sphynx, tortie, oriental, moggy...whatever ;) A cat is a cat, and it's certainly personality that counts. ;D I have to confess my ignorance on sphynxes - I had always thought they really felt the cold and struggled to cope (was told this by a vet, but you can't trust every vet you meet, as we all know). That was always my only concern for them - thay they might be terribly fragile. Clearly I was misinformed ;)
At the risk of being a bit controversial, I don't see any problem with any breed, so long as there are no detrimental implications for the animals health or welfare (as in some extreme examples of flat-faced cats and dogs, or those with hereditary spinal problems etc). I do find sphynxes quite cute, especially their big radar-ears :Luv: - think the naked "bits" would take a bit of getting used to in boys - but then, I had male rats for long enough :evillaugh:
I would love to meet one to see what they're really like - photos rarely do justice to any cat's true personality and grace. Are they related to orientals at all, or is it just the "hairlessness" that gives them that large-eared, wedge-shaped head appearence?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 11:07:14 AM »
I have only met 1 sphynx in 'person' and she was lovely and extremely addictive to stroke, like mole skin  :Luv:  They dont actually have excess skin or wrinkles, all cats look like that underneath their hair.  I also know someone who knits for sphynx's (she has a couple of her own and friends with them) and seen a few pics and they are all happy with it & appreciate the warmth.  I know cody who has loads of fur feels the cold far more than my moggies and he'd also be easily able to wriggle out of that type of clothing if he wanted to.

The hat is totally unecessary in my opinion though.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 10:00:26 AM »
I've spent a short amount of time with a friends sphynx and they are very affectionate and are very cuddly and friendly.  It is very unusual when you feel their skin... I always think its like running your hand over a No1 cut at the hairdressers.

They are very unusual to most people as they are not necessarily a common sight.  Like many of the others on this thread... I don't agree with breeding them with such vulnerabilities especially in our cold climate.  But just because people feel that way doesn't mean they would treat any they came across as any less of a cat however they may well treat the breeder as less of a human!  ;)

I don't think that anyone meant any offence to you or your little one Hels but can totally understand how you feel.

I am sure tho that many of us here love all of our cats and others unconditionally.  That's what's important.   :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
Mark, I didn't pick Bonnie either as she was given to me as a foster cat BUT like you I fell in love and not sure if I would ever have gone for a 10 yrs old cat with no tail - Maybe I would as I'm a soft touch - Just so glad they chose to give her to me.  :Luv2:

I think we could set up a Sphinx appretiation thread as so many of us seem to be changing our minds about the adorable bald ones.  :Luv2: :naughty:

Mary

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 08:38:19 AM »
I love all cats and Connie is Beautiful Hels  :Luv2:

Connie is stunning and I'd love to meet a sphynx to feel their peachy skin, there is no such thing as an ugly cat. All cats are beautiful    :Luv: :Luv: ..... well not as beautiful as mine  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 08:16:55 AM »
So Mark do you have a Sphynx at home  :evillaugh:  :rofl:

:shy: Yep  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 08:03:08 AM »
Don't get it.. I think they're cute. And very intelligent if my cousin's cat is to go by, he responds to words, tells her when he wants to eat, when he's not hungry, when he wants to play all by her speaking with him. Think he's great. And he's cuddly  :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
I love all cats and Connie is Beautiful Hels  :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

ccmacey

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 00:16:26 AM »
So Mark do you have a Sphynx at home  :evillaugh:  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 23:55:06 PM »
Yes it is the same CC - I was only making a joke of it  :hug:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 23:53:58 PM »
Isn't it?  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 23:18:08 PM »
 :what:  :evillaugh:

ccmacey

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 23:16:13 PM »
Yep, we soon learn whats on the inside is more beautifull.

I dont think these cats are ugly, its the people who have made them.

How many peeps have bald headed men at home? Its just the same  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 23:06:35 PM »
Well I have a DSH tortie calico mishmash called Alice that I never would have chosen from a lineup but I only have to look at her and I melt  :Luv2:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 23:09:07 PM by Mark »

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 22:59:37 PM »
Well I currently have a persian sphynx cross  :sneaky: - ok ok Fabes has had a lion cut!!  But since he's had his fur whipped off he's full of beans and is like a walking hot water bottle.  When he was first shaved I bought him a little t shirt to wear cos I thought he would be cold but he much preferred being au naturale!   :tired:

I have 'preferences' when it comes to cats too but I still love them all cos cats personalities just can't be beaten, even the grumps!  I'm sure we can all agree about that.  :Luv2:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 22:35:06 PM »
Aw, Mark, is that Clapton in fancy dress?!  :evillaugh: :naughty: :Luv2: :rofl:

I've got a cat book with lots of photos of cats with no fur and there are some really cute ones - took a bit of getting used to looking at them I must admit - but like most cats they have a personality of their own.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 22:23:57 PM »
Sorry Hels. Didn't think. No offence intended. If anyone gave me the impression they thought one of mine was unattractive, I'd be hurt too. Apologies  :-[.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 22:23:04 PM »

i feel really sad about this thread, on a community of cat lovers, is it ok to love cats only if they have fur? my sphynx knows no different to normal cats, she doesn't need a blanket in summer, in fact she goes outside in winter. it's kinda like cat racism going on here.

i've been really offended by this thread, if i started a thread saying i found tabbies were disgusting because they were a little too stripey then i'm sure you'd all disagree with me

I'm sorry if you've been offended Hels  :hug:  I do also have the opinion as a genuine animal lover, to expect peeps to love all animals, and as a cat lover to love all cats but certain people do have their preferences.  Me, I love anything to do with animals and although I do disagree with certain breeds, I wouldn't love them any less because of what they look like.  Every animal has their own unique personality and I love each and every one of them and yes, I do think Connie is gorgeous as well  :Luv:  :Luv:  I do agree with BC though that I think the comments were aimed more at the breeding of certain cats that potentially weren't in the cats best interest.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 22:05:50 PM »
Hi Hels, sorry you are offended. The comment is not directed at whether or not the cat is attractive, but rather at whether it is a sensible idea to breed an animal that is not adapted to anything other than a fully protected life. I think the Sphynx is an animal like all other animals in that it is entitled to be loved and cared for - I just don't think it is a genetic mutation that should have been encouraged... A difference of opinion, but more a statement that the breeding programme is repugnant. not the cat.

Link to CatChat