Author Topic: pouches vs tins  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: pouches vs tins
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2008, 16:33:36 PM »
Have they learnt how to use the teatowel MM cos if so can you send em to me  :rofl: :rofl:

Taz uses it when hes been in the sink,a 2 minute sit dries him off  :Luv:

I have a tea towel on the worktop and the dishes are washed and left on there to dry off as dont think my dad would be pleased to have them on the drainer. I dont wash the trays in the bath either  :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 11:41:43 AM »
We feed 9 cans daily 6 days a week and on a saturday they get 48 pouches of wet or foils of some description - they demolish the saturday food like we don't feed them the other 6 days!

We wash their bowls seperately - 20 double siders a day in boiling hot water and yes they get a clean tea towel every day - we have a dishwasher so no drying human things!

The dogs have china bowls inside as sky can't lift and play with them after scatering contents unlike the ones outside and these are washed daily to and they use the cats tea towel!
 :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 08:09:44 AM »
I dont go as far as different teatowels - but then I Rarely dry up, prefer to leave things to drip dry!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 22:06:41 PM »
Have they learnt how to use the teatowel MM cos if so can you send em to me  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 17:10:31 PM »
I just wash everything together.  After I've done my washing up I then do the pet bowls in the same water.  I use the same brush as I use for my own dishes.  I haven't caught anything yet  ;D  They only have their own spoon/fork because I saw it in a shop and thought it was really cute  ;D

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 17:09:15 PM »
Personally the food does not look the same. Tins just seem to get wasted and its not that hard to find a good deal so pouches are often just as cheap. Barry often only manges half of the pouch and never likes the second bit, so a tin would be a waste of money.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 16:58:33 PM »
Pouches arent technically the foil type that councils collect, by mixing these types in it either makes an inferior recycled product which is harder to sell or the recycling depots just dump the lot as its contaminated.
The same goes for tetra paks, they are not to go with paper.  Many Tescos now have a collection bin for these so worth having a look   ;D

Yoghurt pots, if your councils only collect milk/cola bottles yoghurt pots are no good. Theres different types of plastics and 1 (PET) and 2 (HDPE) are the most commonly collected. 3 (PVC) 5 (PP) and 6 (PS) are not normally wanted as they are harder to sell once recycled.

To make recycling work its important to read what they want and then sort types properly.

:naughty: :naughty:

My lot have their own forks, dish brush, tea towel and ceramic dishes. They know how to use the dishes but are really struggling to master the dish brush  :innocent:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 20:26:43 PM »
and they have their own forks  ;D

clever puddys, mine havent learnt to use forks yet LOL! :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 19:48:42 PM »
I always wash the cats stuff seperate and they have their own forks  ;D

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 19:36:10 PM »
My vet told me when my cat Tilly was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism that many vets believe the increase in hyperthyroidism in cats is linked to the use of pop top cans for cat food.

Yes I've heard that before too, but cats have been fed canned cat food for over 40 yrs, its the pouches that are a newish invention over the past 10/15 yrs or so, wonder if theres going to be some health scare associated with them in the future?  :scared:

As for washing cats dishes and cutlery, well I use one fork that is 'their' fork LOL! and they each have a separate dish. All I do is wash my stuff, then wash their stuff last, after I've done all mine,  using a different sponge/scourer thingy  ;D

It's the pull off top cans and something they use in those,not the old fashioned can opener types.Allegedly.Although as with us humans there's always something new to worry about  :-:

I use a seperate fork for cat food and washing up brush for my cat stuff.Don't know why really as I'm always catching them drinking out of my water glass.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 19:24:34 PM »
I actually should have mentioned that the fosters get tins, as that is what the rescue buys, but sometimes when I only have one foster, it can get wasted, Rolo does get fed up by the end of a tin!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 19:23:36 PM »
My vet told me when my cat Tilly was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism that many vets believe the increase in hyperthyroidism in cats is linked to the use of pop top cans for cat food.

Yes I've heard that before too, but cats have been fed canned cat food for over 40 yrs, its the pouches that are a newish invention over the past 10/15 yrs or so, wonder if theres going to be some health scare associated with them in the future?  :scared:

As for washing cats dishes and cutlery, well I use one fork that is 'their' fork LOL! and they each have a separate dish. All I do is wash my stuff, then wash their stuff last, after I've done all mine,  using a different sponge/scourer thingy  ;D

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 19:21:27 PM »
I'm with you Des on the washing, it's kept separate here (even since before I turned veggie)

Mine have a mix of pouches and tins, but the pouches definitely all get eaten where they'll try to leave the tinned food til something better comes along (but I'm mean, and make them eat it)

It's defnintely better with the three cats, a tin shared between three tends to get eaten where as when there was just the two I would usually end up throwing some away.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 19:16:56 PM »
I might just be fussy Christine, but I never ever wash my stuff with the cats, or vice versa, different water and even a different sponge!! Mind you, when I am full, there wouldnt be space for everything on the draining board at the same time!!

I would never hand wash our stuff together, but the dishwasher is another matter entirely for me.

I am generally considered pretty anal in the hygiene department: one of my close friends habitually tells people that, for me, godliness comes a very poor second  :rofl:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 19:12:07 PM »
I might just be fussy Christine, but I never ever wash my stuff with the cats, or vice versa, different water and even a different sponge!! Mind you, when I am full, there wouldnt be space for everything on the draining board at the same time!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 18:12:50 PM »
I think theres a secret ingredient in pouches, be it sugar or something more addictive...  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 18:00:54 PM »
I agree with you Baz I think the consistency is different and I think further down someone explain why cats like one and not the other.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 17:58:55 PM »
I use approx 18 pouches a day as my lot will not eat tinned either....I dont believe it to be the same consistancy as tinned, pouches have far smaller, select pieces....and if a type of food is not liked with the hoard all of them will boycott it at the same time  :Crazy:

Argh they have me demented  :sneaky:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 17:56:48 PM »
I'm a bit of a recycling obsessive and my local council stopped collecting foil around the time I adopted Minnie - so that, plus the added expense of a third cat, prompted me to start feeding cans instead of pouches.  I can honestly say my three don't notice the difference and when someone gave them some pouches at Christmas time, Bella wouldn't eat them!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 17:53:43 PM »
There is abosutley no way I am going to try and force canned food on my cats when they dont like it and I find them more expensive cos they about 65p each and the pouches which get eaten are far cheaper cos I am only using 2 or 3 a day with 4 cats....................no they are not starving as you could see from their pictures if I had them to hand  :rofl: :rofl:

But all four also eat good biscuits too.

Our council in this area recycles next to nothing except garden waste for about 8 months of the year!

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 17:09:41 PM »

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/cat-health/pop-top-cat-food-risks.aspx

It's made me stop using cans so I thought I'd let you all know.

Thats quite interesting thank you for posting it.

I changed to sachets for 2 reasons, the first the cats prefer the taste, the second reason because I am lazy, we have to wash all empty cans,remove labels and flatten them,far too much added work with so many mouths to feed.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 16:55:16 PM »
Blip eats either, but I don't like putting cans in the fridge so I usually use pouches.  I am not sure that many of the things we feed come in canned form, anyway.

On the subject of cutlery: I just use the same spoons for everyone!  I reason that cat food isn't in any way unhygienic from the pouch and it all goes in the dishwasher anyway.  But then I put Blip's bowls through the dishwasher too.  Is there a scary reason I shouldn't (can't imagine what)?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kats inc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 16:00:22 PM »

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/cat-health/pop-top-cat-food-risks.aspx

It's made me stop using cans so I thought I'd let you all know.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 13:06:56 PM »
my lot have come to regard pouches as 'treats', as I am very conscious of the environment.

Our council collects all foil including pouches etc with the tins for recycling

Wow!  That's excellent!  I thought Bristol was pretty good (we have caddies for our kitchen waste, and they collect cardbaord and clothes as well as bottles and tins), but they won't collect pouches, plastic or foil :(  I save up my plastics to take to Tesco to recycle though.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
my lot have come to regard pouches as 'treats', as I am very conscious of the environment.

Our council collects all foil including pouches etc with the tins for recycling
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:07:51 PM »
I use 'human' forks for my lot, but that is cos I got a new cutlery set, so they have the old forks (I dont like using knifes for pet food, find them too awkward) and I did get bought a pet fork, but have never used it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:15:01 AM »

One of my cat customers when I was stamp dealing told me her cats were fine when she first opened the tin but they would never touch any from the second half.........she even tried opening it also at the other end but it was useless  :rofl:

That's probably because she had put the can in the fridge after she had given them the first half.  Cats prefer food at (mouse!) body temperature, which is probably why many cats seem to prefer pouches (mine included).  As a result, my lot have come to regard pouches as 'treats', as I am very conscious of the environment.  So I'd advocate tins every time, unless there's a very good reason why your cat absolutely won't or can't eat what's in them.  They're cheaper and, above all, they are recyclable.  Most cats will try it on and hold out for 'better' food, but if you're strict then they will soon learn to eat what they're given!  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 22:43:14 PM »
Oooh thanks for that, I shall hunt one out.  I just use a random ageing knife at the moment  :sick:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 22:40:39 PM »
I feed nature's menu which only comes in pouches, but it does annoy me how much gets stuck in the crevices at the bottom - far easier to get all the contents out of a tin! 

You just need a good pet fork!  I have a very nice stainless steel spoon with prongs at the end and it gets all the bits out of the crevices!  I'd never short change Jaffa with his food - he'd never forgive me  ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 22:31:51 PM »
I don't know about taste differences but the cooking method may be different (sometimes cats will eat from one size tin and not another and I've heard that attributed to a different method of cooking so a slightly different flavour) so there might be a difference in taste or texture.
That wouldn't surprise me - tinned foods are often heated to hugely high temperatures, whereas the pouches are usually 'steamed' so it would probably be the case.

I feed nature's menu which only comes in pouches, but it does annoy me how much gets stuck in the crevices at the bottom - far easier to get all the contents out of a tin! 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 22:27:21 PM »
I am fairly certain the ingredients are the same, and I do think if you can only afford one of the two foods to be high quality, it is better to get high quality dry rather than wet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 22:24:39 PM »
The last two days they have had whiskas lamb and felix beef (tins) so I know they will eat them,I just don't want to deprive them,I know whiskas/felix isn't the best quality food but they do have good quality dry in jwb so hopefully it all balances out :)
Love me,love my animals.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 22:23:54 PM »
I don't know about taste differences but the cooking method may be different (sometimes cats will eat from one size tin and not another and I've heard that attributed to a different method of cooking so a slightly different flavour) so there might be a difference in taste or texture.  I feed both but that's because nothing I feed comes in both (except Jaffa's felix but as he's the only one eating that a large tin would last too long so I buy him pouches) so I buy a mixture.  Tins are mainly small ones though.  The only large tins I buy is animonda carny that comes in 400g tins from zooplus.  They're pretty economical and both of mine love it.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 22:22:17 PM »
I have cats that wont eat out of tins, I think part of it is the texture, as I dont think Zi likes food with big chunks, although happy to eat dry!!
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 22:21:37 PM »
Well my cats dont think that the food out of tins is like the food out of pouches! They will not eat the canned stuff only the pouches and this is Felix.

Kocka thought exactly the same and that was whiskers!

I think that the pouches seem to be more juicey but dont know what the cats think and if they wont eat them it becames more expensive cos you got a great big can to chuck.

One of my cat customers when I was stamp dealing told me her cats were fine when she first opened the tin but they would never touch any from the second half.........she even tried opening it also at the other end but it was useless  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 22:21:19 PM »
I find the contents of pouches is generally moister, but apart from that I can not see any difference whatsoever. Mine eat both. Tins for dinner and pouches for breakfast and/or snacks. I agree tins are certainly more cost-effective and less environemntally damaging too as they are recyclable.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 22:18:25 PM »
You forgot tetrapak cartons LOL my bozita comes in cartons and they are 370g each
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
pouches vs tins
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 22:17:10 PM »
Now I am back up to 3 cats I am seriously considering going back to tins,mainly because they are more economical and cheaper.

Now is there any real difference between pouches and tins?  are the ingreedients exactly the same of are they different?  I don't want to deprive them of the good stuff if pouches are actually better for them but if pouches are basically smaller versions of whats in tins then I'll definately be going back to tins.

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 22:19:40 PM by Gwen »
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat