Author Topic: Should I get another cat?  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Should I get another cat?
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 08:20:46 AM »
Maybe it is something you could consider in the future, when he realises that getting them as youngsters doesnt (sadly) always guarantee long life - and you can get oldies insured, so the cost isn't as much of an issue.
Please spay your cat

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 17:25:30 PM »
Yeh, I can see your point Rosella and Desley. It's better all round if I look for younger cats.
I just wish my partner thought differently about getting oldies as, like you say Desley, a cat can die at any age so youth doesn't necessarily mean a long life and I'd love to give some older cats a home as I know they usually much harder to rehome.

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 19:18:38 PM »
Claws, I only adopt oldies, and I also foster cats of any age, and none of mine have appreciated any of the fosters under the age of 2, and I personally wouldnt let one of my oldies go with a young cat. But, you could lose a cat of any age (I took on a 5 yo and an 11yo a week apart, and I lost the 5yo first, in fact, the 11yo outlived quite a few cats!!), so your partner is going to have to go through that pain at some point, although we all hope our babies will live to a ripe old age.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 19:03:56 PM »
Just to say I was selfish homing our other 2 with Thomas but only recently properly woke up to just how old Tommie is now. Always thought of our Tommie as a young un :Luv2:

Looking back, I should have got a couple of oldies to join Tom and seen them through their later years rather than introducing young uns. I wouldn't introduce oldies with a 2 year old so don't think you should beat yourself up about not homing "oldies".

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 16:22:00 PM »
Personality and temperament is most important (same goes for a pair, if they are matched well it can work fine introducing 2 new ones)  ;D

That is so true, I'm now going to look for one or two cats with similar traits and of a similar age to Ronnie, regardless of their sex. Ronnie is very playful and friendly so would love to find him a playmate or two! Would also like to rehome an oldie as I know they get overlooked but my partner isn't keen as we've had three old cats that've had to be pts 'cos of terminal illnesses and he said he doesn't want to go through that again  :'(
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 21:10:55 PM »
Now I'm completely confused, Tigertail.  I thought a girl would be better but now I might have to think about boys  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Go opened minded to the rescue and let them do the hardwork with matching you up  :sneaky:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 20:17:59 PM »
I honestly don't think I would be able to foster one as I know I would get too attached to it - even if Ollie didn't. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 20:06:53 PM »
Defintely get another cat!!!  

So agree!
I was advised to get boys as they are more laid back than girls and more social.

Agree if they had their op when they were young but maybe not so laid back if they were "complete" for a number of years

The puddie to home though will always depend on Ollie and I love this idea of you fostering a cat to see how things go altho, like BC, the idea of giving up a furry is just not in my head at all!

Everything depends on the cat. I really wouldn't want to have to introduce another furry to either Thomas (18) or Billy W (3) although I'd love to teach Freddie (5) a lesson  :naughty:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 20:01:30 PM »
Now I'm completely confused, Tigertail.  I thought a girl would be better but now I might have to think about boys  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 19:51:52 PM »
Defintely get another cat!!!  It is very rewarding.  I have two oldies aged 10 and they are both girls.  and have never got on.  Mostly because Phoebe is very jealous and doesn't think she is a cat.  Poor Mushroom.  I felt she needed some help.  I was advised not to get another cat really as older cats don't adapt too well.  I got a kitten called Menu who is the most charming cat ever.  I did the intros properly.  Very slowly.  He is patient with Phoebe and wanted to play with Mushroom.  Then I felt sorry for him and thought if he doesn't have a playmate he will forget how to play. So I got Pumpkin.  It is the best thing I have done.  The two kittens play togther.  Mushoom has watched them from a distance but is now having quiet play moments.  Fantastic.  Phoebe still hisses but seems strangely calm and likes to be in all the time.  She comes to me for extra cuddles though.  I was careful with my kittens though.  I searched high and low for Menu as all kittens are lovely but I wanted to find a gentle, calm one.  Mushroom is half Persian and I wanted a similar personality.  When I picked up Menu when I first saw him he sort of melted in my hands - he was tiny and played but did not use his claws at all.  He still melts when you pick him up.  He is 1/4 Persian.  Pumpkin is mostly Persian and he is just a walking cartoon cat.  So I was lucky because there is no aggression there.  I was advised to get boys as they are more laid back than girls and more social. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 19:53:16 PM by tigertail »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 19:50:16 PM »
I was wondering though whether it would be best to just get one cat initially and then introduce another cat later rather than getting two together? Also, would it be better to get two females? Be interested to know what others think...
I would see what the rescue thinks as they should remember Ronnie? Sometimes males can be fine and a female very bossy  :evillaugh: Personality and temperament is most important (same goes for a pair, if they are matched well it can work fine introducing 2 new ones)  ;D

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 19:36:58 PM »
I was thinking about getting a female, partly because Ollie lost his sister, but also I thought a girl might fit in better than another boy.  I'm not sure whether I would get 2 cats together as it might be a bit much for Ronnie all at once, bit I'm sure someone on here with much more knowledge ythan me will be able to give you good advice.  They have certainly given me a load of help on different things which have worked very well.

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 16:28:17 PM »
The advice given on this thread has been helpful to me as well. I also have a 2 year old male cat and want to offer a home to other rescue cats as I feel Ronnie is missing other feline company since Mathers died in December (I got them both together from the local cat sanctuary). I think I'll go along with the advice and try for younger cats. I was wondering though whether it would be best to just get one cat initially and then introduce another cat later rather than getting two together? Also, would it be better to get two females? Be interested to know what others think...

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 11:10:47 AM »
You could look at it as fostering a cat with the possibility of him/her staying if he got on ok with Ollie. 

Even with kittens, temperament and how dominant they are matters.  Mosi was dominant even as a kitten.  Jaffa just about has the edge but it's not because he's older than Mosi it's because he's a bit bigger and can pin Mosi to the ground if need be.  Despite the age difference (Jaffa was 8 when I got Mosi as a kitten) they are actually a good match activity wise as Jaffa has remained playful into adulthood.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 10:27:09 AM »
maybe you can get one on trial and see how it goes? I for one am not temperamentally suited to that approach as once an animal is in the door it is there to stay, but if you think you could cope with that approach it may be worth considering? Am sending you a PM also.

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 10:19:24 AM »
I haven't got any news BC - very boring I know.  Still not sure what to do as I have always had cats in 2's before but never had an adult cat as all my others came as kittens.  As most peeps think a kitten would be too much for Ollie to cope with I need to know how to do intros and then decide whether he would cope.  He's a lot more confident now with us and even makes an appearance when people come round - as long as they don't try to touch him.  The CP said I could rehome a cat one year old onwards, but that was because they thought our road was too busy for a kitten, which I must say I don't agree with as it is only morning and evening that you get more than a few cars going up and down.  However, I'm prepared to go along with them on that, as they are more experienced than me.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
Right! Puddy, you are not allowed to come on here with a question like that and not tell us all the news!! >:(

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh,. and I don't know but I am sure someone does  ;D

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
Me again - where is the thread about cat introductions? 

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »
Thanks everybody for your advice and tips - I will think a bit longer about it and if I decide to get another cat, I think it will be a quiet female about 1 year old.  Off to read the advice about introducing another cat to the household now.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 22:47:00 PM »
I would agree with everyone here - we recently (about 3 months ago) got a young female to keep our (then) 18 month old boy Riley. However, we wanted a cat that would be a bit younger than him, so he could show them the ropes and be the boss, but not a very young kitten, which we felt neither we, nor Riley, would be able to cope with! :evillaugh: We ended up getting Skye, a 4 1/2 month old female, but we took her on a 3-week trial basis (with the agreement of the resuce place), just in case things didn't go well.
It took a while, but with patience and making a big fuss of our big lad, it all went very well, and just 3 months on they are practically inseprable. She's active enough to keep him on his toes, but relaxed and grown up enough not to drive him to distraction :evillaugh:
Good luck whatever you decide - but take your time making your decision, and choosing the new cat. Also, there are great tips in the behaviour guide section about introducing cats (as I'm sure you know!).

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 19:15:25 PM »
Same here MM!! Never had a cat from a kitten, and dont plan on ever doing!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 16:20:45 PM »
I had forgotten just how manic they can be. They would drive Ollie up the wall!!

Thats the problem with many people, they have no idea how full on kittens are for humans and adult cats alike!  :tired:
When ever i have a temp one it reminds me why i dont want one  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 23:51:08 PM »
I think a best shot would be a gentle cat around the same age but intros would need to be done carefully.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 22:02:07 PM »
yes, and the cost a fortune in manicures when they do that!!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 21:57:53 PM »
:rofl: Aren't they great at helping with the housework :) My lot have now trebled the time it take me to change the bedding lol
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 21:49:46 PM »
you want destrution - go see my thread on smidgens busy day

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 21:47:28 PM »
I have nicknamed my kittens DOS :)

not Disc Operating System as you might think but :-

Destroyers Of Stuff :rofl:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 21:43:06 PM »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 21:33:02 PM »
don't you mean mitt or hiss!!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 20:40:17 PM »
My sister took her two kittens ( Mickey n Mowgli 10 weeks old) round to our mothers,
mothers cat (Korky 3 yrs) took one look and ran a mile, :-:
found him hiding in the top room of the house  :scared:

I would think another cat around the same age, but that can be a hit or a miss  :)  :(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 20:41:27 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 20:16:58 PM »
Thanks Jo - I shall have a careful think about it.  The object of my concern is sitting giving me the Look cos he isn't too ken on his supper and I stopped playing with da bird when he wanted to carry on, even though I had to get our tea ready.  I think I might get a very large ferocious ginger tom - that'd teach him.  No not really  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 20:11:33 PM »
cat Puddy, Cat, kittens are insane and hyperactive - I had forgotten just how manic they can be. They would drive Ollie up the wall!!

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 20:10:01 PM »
Is that a yes or a no to a kitten BC - sorry bit befuddled today.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 19:54:24 PM »
Well, you've seen how manic Smidgen is - and he is nearly a year old  :Luv:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 19:53:13 PM »
Am I right then in thinking that getting a kitten is not a good idea, but a young female near his own age might work?

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 19:08:59 PM »
Bertie was 11 months old when we lost Matilda and was very lonely but not great with other cats.  CPL suggested a younger female - but not a small kitten - should be a non-threatening companion ... enter Bella, who was five months old - they're not always the very best of friends but they generally get on great  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 17:19:26 PM »
A friend around his own age would hopefully hassle him less, sometimes another cat to buddy with helps them alot. Simon had never lived in a house before and was very nervous until he got to meet George  :Luv: George showed him the ropes and was like a big brother to him.

If you go to the same rescue Ollie came from they should remember him and be able to match you up.  ;D

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »
A younger cat might do, you would have to come up with a decent match for Ollie though.

We got Smoke who was 18 months old to go with Lirael who at the time was about two and a half but she is very energetic so I needed a young friend for her just to keep up.

The kittens we’re fostering have taken to our oldest cat who’s 10, they adore him and it is very sweet. They however know that he won’t play with them as he’ll put a paw on their heads and push them down to the floor.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
Kitens are very 'in-your-face' which he may find stressful, although younger ones can be brought into line by an older cat. But I think if you were to get a kitten you might need two, so they can burn up their energy on each other and give Ollie some peace. He may find that after a while, it is fun watching them. My Tabitha Jane used to take herself up onto the fridge for about three days watching the new kitten, then come down and try to use it as a 'throw toy' :Luv:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
Should I get another cat?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »
Could any of you knowledgeable peeps on here give me some advice.  As you know, we lost Portia last year and I am wondering if it is a good idea to try and get another young female cat or kitten to be company for Ollie.  My daughter says no as Ollie is still nervous of other people and she thinks it would freak him out to bring another cat into the house.  I thought that maybe if we got a kitten he would accept it more easily than a cat of his own age (he is 2 roughly) and I thought it would be good for him to have a playmate.

Please can you help me decide what I should do.  I don't want to upset him, but I feel he does miss Portia.

Link to CatChat