Author Topic: Does anyone use grey clay clumping litter? aka Cats Best is doing my head in!  (Read 7510 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Okay give me a sec i'll make a thread so I don't hog yours  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
 :thanks: Dawn

Now before you answer any more litter Q's there is something much more pressing that needs to be explained, preferably with photographic evidence  :wow:

With four cats (yes four now!)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat

As if we'd let you get away with that. Welcome back honey. xx

:Luv2: Hi Ruth xx

I feel a bit ashamed for being a purrs-deserter to be honest!

(sorry Helen  ;D another thing about the clean 'n' tidy is that there is about 3 different types, I have no idea why as I really can't tell any difference between the three  :evillaugh: )
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom

I wasn't sure about making a big 'HI ITS ME' thread so I snuck back in quietly  :shify:

As if we'd let you get away with that. Welcome back honey. xx

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat

I wasn't sure about making a big 'HI ITS ME' thread so I snuck back in quietly  :shify:

I've missed you all too and I hope you're feeling much better than you were last time I visited Teresa  :hug: Hugs for Helen too! :hug:

Helen I can answer those :)
Tracking is nowhere near as bad as cat's best if you've used that, but it is quite small grains so it still *does* track though, i'd say less than half as much as CB though....

With four cats (yes four now!) we go through about 1 bag a week and do a full change at least every week but it does depend on how they leave the tray - some days are messier than others...(!) Considering we have four cats in the trays the odour control is pretty good, although Gerti has ridiculously 'smelly' days  :sick:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
 :welcome: back Dawn!  :hug:

For all you clean 'n' tidy users, a few questions please...

How is the tracking on a scale of 1-10, how often do you have to do a full change, how is the odour control and lastly how long does it last?

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Cheesecat you cant just sneak back in a litter tray  :rofl: we`ve missed you  :hug:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
We use clean and tidy, I think its really good - I used to love Cats best okoplus but it went up a ridiculous amount and it tracks everywhere!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
I think I will go back to Clean and Tidy when I go to PAH at weekend, this lightweight stuff is no good with one cat with CRF and one on steroids!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
I have used Breeders Celect in the past which I think is very similar to Yesterdays News. I couldn't stand it. Had to do a complete change every day as it doesn't clump. The cats weren't thrilled with the feel of it under foot, very tentative and it smells weirdly sweet and sickly when soiled :sick: The pellets kind of puff and disintegrate when weed on. No, couldn't get on with at all!

The Yesterdays News and the Biolatolet dont disintegrate when wet,  they just expand and it doesnt smell at all strange.  I have to do a full tray change every day anyway as JO Ripley is a fussy little thing and wont use it otherwise.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
I have used Breeders Celect in the past which I think is very similar to Yesterdays News. I couldn't stand it. Had to do a complete change every day as it doesn't clump. The cats weren't thrilled with the feel of it under foot, very tentative and it smells weirdly sweet and sickly when soiled :sick: The pellets kind of puff and disintegrate when weed on. No, couldn't get on with at all!

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
I use Yesterdays News or Biocatolet,   both are recycled newspaper formed into pellets,   no tracking at all and no smell after it has been used,  especially if you get the Lemon Scented Yesterday's News.  Really is the best litter I have ever ever used and I verging on OCD with litter tracking  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I tried it once but found it had a sickly smell - especially when it got wet  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Which one is it you use? I notice the price per bag isn't too significant a difference but no idea how 5kg translates in comparison to 10l? They're all on the website but there's about 5 different varieties of organic crumb. I wouldn't be averse to giving it a go if it tracks less and is about the same price point.
[/quote]

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/organic-chick-starter-crumble-for-chickens-5kg-by-organic-poultry-feeds-16197

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
We use Catsan clumping, I find it doesn't track that badly, we have 2 open Ferplast trays, there is usually some around the tray and utility cupboard but thats about it.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
TRACKING IS EVEN WORSE THAN CATS BEST :evillaugh:

:Crazy:  :shocked::Crazy:  :shocked::Crazy:  :shocked::Crazy:  :shocked::Crazy:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
got to say I'm back on chick crumb - PAH are doing an organic one - I was finding cats best everywhere all over the house

I've tried a couple of the grey clumping ones from zooplus (baby powder scent and rose scent can't remember name) but they didn't deal with smell very well and I had to change the tray after a couple of days

I'm also another who is not a crystal fan

Which one is it you use? I notice the price per bag isn't too significant a difference but no idea how 5kg translates in comparison to 10l? They're all on the website but there's about 5 different varieties of organic crumb. I wouldn't be averse to giving it a go if it tracks less and is about the same price point.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Has anyone tried Swheat Scoop? - made from Wheat rather than corn and quite a bit cheaper http://www.cheappetproducts.net/SWHEAT_SCOOP_MULTI_CAT___25LB-UKP127139.html

Didnt clump well, clumps broke up, TRACKING IS EVEN WORSE THAN CATS BEST :evillaugh:

I won't be trialling that then  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Has anyone tried Swheat Scoop? - made from Wheat rather than corn and quite a bit cheaper http://www.cheappetproducts.net/SWHEAT_SCOOP_MULTI_CAT___25LB-UKP127139.html

Didnt clump well, clumps broke up, TRACKING IS EVEN WORSE THAN CATS BEST :evillaugh:

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
I use lidl cat litter and they tread some of it out near their litter trays so i just keep a little bin there (to empty poos into) and a dust pan and brush....seems to work well....
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Price-wise, it falls between cats best and worlds best. £24 for 24L, Cats best is about £24 for 40L. Worlds Best is £38.99 for 15kg but not sure how that equates to Litres  :Crazy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I got some at a show once - it was good but expensive if I remember

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
After reading the health scares with Bentonite (clumping clay), I would never use it again  :scared: I am concerned about the long-term effects of cats breathing the dust in and/or ingesting it. Probably even more-so for diggers. Also, it is so heavy and a pain to clean up - it sets like concrete. I would rather the inconvenience of cleaning up cats best. I am thinking of investing in a decent mini-hoover such as the dyson one. I had a cheap one but it is as good as useless.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:09:51 AM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I did try World Best, unfortunately the dust would get onto Lexy's legs and she would get constipated from what she licked off her legs during clean up. :sick:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Isn't it funny how we all have different experiences with the same litter  ;D  Odour wise, the best I've used is golden grey scented from zooplus.  worlds best isn't as good as that with smells but it's good enough and taking everything into account it's the winner for me.  I'm yet to try chick crumbs as I'm waiting until things are more settled and Jaffa is spraying less and for when I get the second tray set up in the bathroom - that way I can try it in one tray and there will still be another tray with something familiar in it.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
got to say I'm back on chick crumb - PAH are doing an organic one - I was finding cats best everywhere all over the house

I've tried a couple of the grey clumping ones from zooplus (baby powder scent and rose scent can't remember name) but they didn't deal with smell very well and I had to change the tray after a couple of days

I'm also another who is not a crystal fan

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
I ahve to say, since moving to somewhere with nice shiny, slippy laminate flooring, the tracking has got much worse....This happened when I used clumping clay too and I found the odour control wasn't a patch on Cat's Best so I'll just persevere.

Thanks Shona - was after a direct comparison tracking wise and I think you're probably right about the odour control of Cats Best being better.

I use the crystal type, I love it, no dust and no clumping

I might look into that type - do the balls track much? Also what's the odour control like? How much do you get through with two cats and how often do you have to change it etc? Sorry, lots of questions I know!
they get a little round the edge of the tray, but the crystals dont stick to their feet so it doesnt 'track'
my two share 1 tray now so I buy 1 bag a week from PAH for £3.99, that usually lasts a week
the odour contol is good,, no wee smells and less poop smells than usual, I tend to pick the poop up as soon as they do it tho!!
I do a whole change twice a week

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
I'm currently using wilkinsons lightweight cat litter it's not too bad, doesnt track to much and the main thing is Tiggy will use it! The other 3 will use anything but Tiggy will not use wood pellets, paper based or lots of other litters i have tried, she would rather wee on the floor or Our bed!

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
If you have a Costco near you they sell clay clumping litter in a green plastic tub that is really good (just stand back when pouring it into the tray or else you will choke). It smells rather nice though, I think it is lemon grass and baking soda to absorb odours. It clumps really well too.

We've got deep pile dark red carpets here so you can imagine how delightful they look with the Oko  :tired: :tired:  It always looks like I haven't hoovered even when I have literally just finished.

Dave has recently built me a litter tray house for the litter trays to try and keep the litter from being all over the kitten room floor but it is currently in the kitchen as that's where the Boopettes are (I am hating having litter trays in the kitchen even though they get cleaned at least 5 times a day) and there is hardly any litter tracked out of the litter tray house *thumbs up* I do love having a man who is fab at diy to solve my cat related issues  :Luv:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 20:15:09 PM by Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's) »
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
The large grain clay that clumps is awful for sticking, and the fullers earth that doesnt clump is easily tainted if they dig alot, the wee'd on bits mix in and you have to dump it  :tired:
I mainly use golden grey (zooplus) or everclean (r&l), pah sell a fine clay but i didnt get on with it, catsan ultra fine is good but way overpriced and also the small sainsburys one is ok but too small at 5l. The fine clay does stick to the tray if you have ones that do wee patties  :tired:
I have one tray of cats best and i find it awful, so dusty! Much worse than what the clay poofs around.

Dakota uses wood pellets, i find these quite economical and i'd prefer to not use clay environment wise but the other cats hate pellets with a passion  :innocent:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Thanks for all the input! There's nothing like a good litter discussion to get us all talking  :evillaugh:

The boys have tried chick crumbs, classy cat litter (Zooplus) and Cats Best and were fine with all of them. I think I might get a small sack of the grey clay stuff (have remembered it's called fullers earth) to try unless anyone has a recommendation for a litter that;

a) tracks less
b) controls odours
c) clumps 

;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
I've gone back to chick crumbs again Helen - coz I can't stand the tracking with Cats Best either - 12 cats - might just as well make my house one big litter tray  :tired:  :evillaugh: Even chick crumbs track, but not quite as much as CB.

The fine clay litters definitely don't track as much.

I tried the silica crystals again recently - terrible!! too expensive because it needs dumping like every other day at least with all my gang ;D

Tried the newspaper one - was ok, but again it needs the whole lot dumping too often for my liking.

Not sure whats next on the list to try LOL!  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Gail, that is the advantage with Cats Best, it is so light.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
Have you tried catsan clumping?  - I personally dont used clumping or clay type litter it is too heavey when disposing. I use yesterdays news - pellets and it made from newpaper, only tracking is the fresh pellets they throw out the tray and flick of their paws.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Like Den, have the same Ferplast litter tray and mat. The litter only stays around the litter tray. Lexy does, however, shake her feet off when she leaves the tray, she's a bit fastidious like that so the tracking isn't an issue in this house. Admittedly when hoovering around the tray it does surprise me how much is actually outside the tray! I am happy not to change mine, took me ages to find one that was easy on Lexy's paws.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
I'm still finding litter from when we had Uncle M (The Munchkin, being young, prefers the garden 99% of the time). It always makes me sad...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Think of cats best as the red dye you can put on your teeth. If you remove all traces of it, you are doing the housework properly  :innocent:

Mark, you're like a male Anthea Turner. :evillaugh: ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Think of cats best as the red dye you can put on your teeth. If you remove all traces of it, you are doing the housework properly  :innocent:

:slap:

I'm very houseproud thank you very much  :evillaugh: That's why Cats Best is doing my head in as it just gets everywhere so a thorough hoovering only lasts for half a day  :tired:

Half a day!? Try half an hour!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat

:slap:

I'm very houseproud thank you very much  :evillaugh: That's why Cats Best is doing my head in as it just gets everywhere so a thorough hoovering only lasts for half a day  :tired:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I like the clumping of Cats Best, but if Zi uses the tray after I have swept/hoovering (I sweep the carpet at least twice a day to limit hoovering), it looks like I haven't bothered in days, and not only does she get it on the landing, but I also find it in the bathroom and bedroom - doesn't help that she can sometimes dig that vigourously it ends up embedded in her fur!! I swapped to some lightweight stuff this week, as the rescue kindly gave me some cos Ellie is using the girls tray, and there is hardly any tracking. Just dont like the odour control and having to empty the tray more often.

I used to use Sophisticat clumping, I might give it a go at weekend, even though it is really heavy - that is a clay clumping. Not good for large male cats who do really big wees though.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat