Author Topic: Worms? Or something more sinister? Samantha looking iffy.  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Worms? Or something more sinister? Samantha looking iffy.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 20:01:21 PM »
Hope we get some news from HK soon - its worrying that she hasn't been on yet

Edit - meant to post on the other thread  :-[
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 20:02:32 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 16:05:28 PM »
I dont worm my cats either but the vet uses a spot om wormer on 3 of them and last year managed to give Misa a pill cos he didnt know about pills but he does now  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We are off for their annuals in next few weeks ......................groan.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 14:18:04 PM »
bit remiss about worming them, unless they show symptoms (

The trouble with that is usually cats do not show signs of infestation until the problem is endemic. Far better to treat on a regular basis.       
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »
Considering what's happened to Polly, I'm not using Milbemax again. All being well, will buy Drontal online. But I'm a bit remiss about worming them, unless they show symptoms (Sam had a pot belly). Wish I'd left Sam with her belly!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 11:41:28 AM »
I wasn't offered Drontal at the vet's
My vets stopped selling drontal, they are so cheap online i guess they couldnt compete.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 14:05:38 PM »
Samantha is looking better today, but Polly is acting weird. She's staggering, especially with her back legs. I've had a look at the Milbemax website

www.wormfree.co.uk

and it mentions that this is a possible reaction to the drug, and will pass within a day or so.

Has anyone else had this reaction?

I wasn't offered Drontal at the vet's. They just asked how big my cats are.

Samantha's shape seems better. She's eating well, and is looking better. No discolouring of her ears or skin. Checked her eyes too, no jaundice.

If it's not one, it's the other. Polly really worried me earlier when she walked drunkenly across my bedroom. As she's never done this before, I checked the possible reactions to the wormer. Pretty certain it's that.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
The vet always worms my cats and he has never asked when they last ate - I would guess that Ela is right that there is a better chance of the worm/s eating the pill if there is food as well.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 10:20:56 AM »
how long after feeding should i give a worm tablet ?

in the past ive always given my girls the tablet then fed them straight afterwards .Is that right or wrong?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:51:10 AM »
I too would would take the little one to the vets ASAP, I am not a vet and would not take the risk to treat for things my little one may not have and allow the problem to get worse.

Read the packet AFTER I had given the pill, it says it should be given after or with food. I gave it on an empty tum (theirs, not mine!); does this matter?

In a word, yes. I would think the worms go for the food and therefore the worm preparation. Also it is possible for tablets to irritate the stomach if given on an empty stomach.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »
Just echoing what others have said.

Re Drontal - if you get them through VETUK, they are only £1.59 each with free postage. It says the dosage is 1 tablet per 4kg bodyweight. Underdosing may not be effective.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:50:37 AM »
I would take her to the vets asap Hippy, just to be on the safe side, esp with the water drinking. While kidney and liver issues are eventually fatal, just getting the diagnosis doesn't immediately mean you will lose them. Good luck.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 22:54:19 PM »
Off to the vets with you!  ;)

I'd like to add to your list the following possibilities:

Hernia

Constipation

Bowel tumor

There's only one way to tell.

Best of luck

Jxxx

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 22:50:53 PM »
Sorry to hear Sam isn't well - I hope she's better soon  :hug:

I'll leave the advice to someone more knowledgeable than me  :shy: 

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Worms? Or something more sinister? Samantha looking iffy.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 22:41:06 PM »
Earlier today I noticed, when we were both in the kitchen, that Sam has a large paunch high up in her stomach area (sort of under her rib cage). The first thing I thought of was liver problems. I've had one cat (Minnie) die from an FLV related liver tumour, she swelled in her rib cage, but also turned yellow. She was the same basic colour pattern as Sam; the inside of her ears changed from normal to orange to yellow, and the skin under her black fur went from the normal blue-grey to orangey yellow.

I checked Sam's colouring, it looks normal.

I made a list of possible problems.

Furball.
Worms.
Liver problems.
Kidney problems.

I know old cats are very subject to the last two, and it's usually fatal. I've decided to treat her for worms and furball first. If this doesn't work, she's off to the vet.

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't regularly worm my cats, partly because of the stress on their aged systems. But I popped to the vet and got them some Milbemax AT £4 PER TABLET! They had to have half each. I also bought some Katalax at a disgusting price; but if it works, I don't care about the money.

Could any peeps tell me how long it takes for the Milbemax to work please? Had no probs getting it into them, did it before they properly woke, and poked it down their throats. You should have seen the dirty looks  :tired: :P 

They have been recently Frontlined.

How long should I wait before defurring them? I don't want the worming pill to go straight through. Having said that, Sam threw up a fur ball in the lounge earlier (hope she didn't throw up the pill!!). She's still not the right shape.

Read the packet AFTER I had given the pill, it says it should be given after or with food. I gave it on an empty tum (theirs, not mine!); does this matter?

Worried about Sam. She's been drinking water lately, something I don't normally notice. But I've stopped giving her milk - she developed a lactose intolerance and kept throwing it up! I've always encouraged her to drink, cos she's had several bouts of cystitis. Hope this isn't a sign of a wonky kidney!

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 22:44:48 PM by Hippykitty »

Link to CatChat