Author Topic: How old can cats live for?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: How old can cats live for?
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 19:25:24 PM »
Just had our home visit.  Not sure how it went to be honest. :-:  She said she liked our garden as it was much bigger than she thought, but she felt the road was quite busy.  I did explain that we would be willing to wait for an indoors cat, if our home wouldn't be suitable for Toby because of the road.  Feeling disappointed now.  She's going to ring the shelter tomorrow.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.  We'd grown attached to the idea of Toby living with us. :(

Just wondering, would it be a possibility for you to cat proof your garden? It sounds like you've really set your heart on Toby, so if you were willing to cat proof that would make all the difference if the busy road is going to be a sticking point. You wouldnt have to rush and get it done, because don't forget you'll need to keep him indoors for several weeks after rehoming anyway, so it would give you time to get something fixed up - just a thought.

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 18:25:28 PM »
Just had our home visit.  Not sure how it went to be honest. :-:  She said she liked our garden as it was much bigger than she thought, but she felt the road was quite busy.  I did explain that we would be willing to wait for an indoors cat, if our home wouldn't be suitable for Toby because of the road.  Feeling disappointed now.  She's going to ring the shelter tomorrow.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.  We'd grown attached to the idea of Toby living with us. :(
McIntyre Quad

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 17:30:30 PM »
So glad you are getting an oldie - my eldest cat, Tibby was 26 and I adopted Bonnie from RSPCA in December and she is 10.

Good luck with Toby and looking forward to seeing many pics.  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 17:00:30 PM »
:luck: I'm sure you'll be just fine  :)

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 16:57:50 PM »
Not long to go now.  Have cleaned the house from top to bottom, tidied up the garden and begged my son to behave himself.  Don't even want to think about our house not being suitable. :(
McIntyre Quad

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 16:55:27 PM »
Good luck with the home check.  I'm sure it will be fine  ;D

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 16:46:49 PM »
Got everything crossed for you here :wow:

Please let us know how it goes :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
Just had the phone call.  We're having our home visit tonight at 6pm.  Fingers and toes crossed. :scared:
McIntyre Quad

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »
I'm sure you will hear back as sadly people aren't queuing up to offer homes to middle aged cats - well done you  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »
The cat we went to look at yesterday (Toby) is 14 years old.  He's had his blood tests and has been given a clean bill of health.  Sounds promising so far!  Just waiting for the phone call to organise a house visit.  We missed the call yesterday and the number was withheld :doh:, so we're waiting anxiously by the phone. :scared:
McIntyre Quad

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
I often hear of cats in their 20's these days. I think the oldest recorded cat was 36 but that really is an exception. It's great that you are thinking of taking on a oldie as there aren't that many people prepared to do it - the alternatives aren't very nice. It's a shame that some old cats end up living their days out in pens  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 09:39:18 AM »
Ah. Just found your other thread about Toby. How lovely  :)  I'm sure you'll sail through the home check. Just hope you don't have to wait long as it can seem a long time when you're keen to get on with settlng him in. Please do try to post pics when you have him.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
Our Tom is 18 yrs 8 mths at the moment and up and down healthwise but still enjoying life. Gandolf lived to 19 and Dingle almost 21. Good veterinary care and a lovely home is all it takes .... er and a bit of good luck. Well done for thinking of homing an older pud. They so often get overlooked but can be so much more loving that a youngster. How did it go yesterday?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 08:46:30 AM »
I am glad more people are considering oldies - I only adopt oldies, I currently have a 15 and 18yo here, and have lost a 15 and 16yo this year (they were both poorly when they came, it hadn't been picked up in their previous home though). IT all really depends on the cat, as i have also lost a 5 and 11 year old. If not already done, I would recommend a full blood test to make sure all his organs are fine, and that way you have a base level.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 23:56:42 PM »
Many of the cats I've adopted have been older, Zeta and Jasper were 13 and 12 when I took them on over a year ago, Poppy was 10 when I adopted her, and Amber was supposedly in her 20s (although we don't know for sure) when I adopted her, and she lived for another 3 or 4 years! My Elsa was 20 when she had to be pts in Oct last year.

Look forward to seeing pics of your new addition  ;D

Offline littlekitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 20:44:46 PM »
My mother in laws cat is now 23 years old, she eats and sleeps alot because of her age, but she is now starting to go blind.
Share your love, give a rescue cat a home.

xLYNNx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 19:22:05 PM »
:thanks:  We've just been looking at the advice on this website:- http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/oldage.html

You'll find most of the info on Wizz's site extremely helpful. Wizz is a behaviourist and we often recommend people visit her site for advice on how to get cats comfy in their new homes :Luv:

Our oldest passed on when she was just over 20, though others have passed on due to illness earlier than that.

14 is a great age, they're fairly adult and have bypassed (mostly.. our 20 year old used to run us ragged with her mad dashes until she was in her late teens) the juvenile mad stage!

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 19:17:41 PM »
Also glad you're considering an older cat, I'm an oldie fan  :Luv:.

We have a 19 year old cat called Dinah, adopted 18 months ago from a friend's Mum and although she's slowed down a little is still fit and enjoying life.  She's a real character.

Our last cat the Proot sadly only lived to be 14, but he was poorly and virtually living rough when we took him in (or rather he moved in with us!).  If he had found us earlier he might still be with us. It was heartbreaking as we only had a year with him, but am glad that he had love, warmth and comfort that he would not have otherwise have had.

My family's cats lived to be 16, 17, and 18...but we also two kittens that only made it to 1 and 2.

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »
 :thanks:  We've just been looking at the advice on this website:- http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/oldage.html.  Really useful.  It also said cats can live into their 20's and sometimes 30's.  Fingers crossed ours lives a long time.  Although, I think we've prepared ourselves as much as possible for the reality of an older cat, it will still break our hearts.
McIntyre Quad

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »
my sister's cat was 24 when she died. The oldest one I have owned was 19. With modern medical interventions and good quality diets and a properly run cat-friendly home, the old guesstimate of 10-12 years has extended enormously ... well done you for considering an older cat!

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
How old can cats live for?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:02:02 AM »
Hi,

We're going to look at an older cat to adopt this afternoon and I just wondered how lone they normally live for.  The cat we're going to meet, is 14 years old. :thanks:
McIntyre Quad

Link to CatChat