Author Topic: Visit to Ron's in Brighton  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Visit to Ron's in Brighton
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 18:52:26 PM »
A nice retired gentleman went into the cattery, and low and behold, two of the quietest and usually unsociable of the lot came up to him, started to purr and picked him.

I am always thrilled when I hear of that happening.  Great news!

Nick, that is an excellent idea - I look forward to your list too.

I keep threatening to go back down to Rons and I think we shall do that - and I am sure that I can find some bits and pieces which might be good for a Lost Cats Brighton car boot sale.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 18:30:34 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: Excellent news ...well done kitties for picking your new daddy.

Nick ... what a lovely offer of assistance .. I look forward to seeing the list of books on offer :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 18:27:50 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer:

I am thrilled because Ron has just emailed and said two of his black and white pusses have found a home this afternoon - subject to home check. A nice retired gentleman went into the cattery, and low and behold, two of the quietest and usually unsociable of the lot came up to him, started to purr and picked him.The gentleman was delighted and said he'd have the pair.

So, that's 2 less...

:yayyy: :yayyy:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 16:04:41 PM »
That would be a wonderful gesture, Nick.  :ahh:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 14:07:47 PM »
well I may be able to help then afterall. I have over 100 books on cats which I bought as a joblot at christmas to raise some money but not good timing really. I'll try to start listing them all. I'll offer them here to members first in case there are any that members need to add to their collections then the rest on ebay over the next few weeks.

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 13:18:57 PM »
awwww lovely pics
ron you are obviously a very special man a true star

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:55:33 PM »
that bloke's a marvel.  ;D
well done for going over pinkbear .Great pics  What do you think is the most direct way we can help Ron ?

I don't know how he does it, Nick. He's in his 70s and has to have a walking stick sometimes. He is a marvel and that's for sure!  ;)

As to how to help, apart from the obvious money and someone to actually get round and do chores on a regular basis, he also gets quite a bit of income from car boot sales. So if anyone's got any merchandise...?  ;D But I think if you asked Ron, all he'd say was he wants homes for his cats - which is a testiment to how selfless he really is!  :Luv:

He's expecting a journalist from the Sussex Argos to contact him about doing a piece on his work, and after that I'll be contacting the local BBC news. Maybe for a profile on Scruffy?  :sneaky:

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »
that bloke's a marvel.  ;D
well done for going over pinkbear .Great pics  What do you think is the most direct way we can help Ron ?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 11:09:46 AM »
Ron's says his cattery had grown to at least double size since Christine (Blip) saw it. I was impressed with the way he's got things organised.

OH and I visited over the Christmas break, so that shows how busy Ron is at present.  We were really impressed with the way Ron has things organised too, how spotless everything and how relaxed his little guests are.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 22:42:13 PM »
Aw bless.......Scruffy is a babe......they do all look so happy and cared for  :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 21:45:16 PM »
No, he's still very much on his own. He does get the occasional person come to change trays and feed, but nothing regular.  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 21:41:36 PM »
Lovely Pics Pinkbear .... Ron's place looks great.

Has Ron had any other peeps answer his plea for help or is he still doing it all on his own?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Visit to Ron's is Brighton
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 21:35:42 PM »
More pics!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Visit to Ron's in Brighton
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 21:33:49 PM »
Hi, peeps!  :cheer:

Well, I threw caution to the wind today to brave the motorways, and was finally able to honour my promise to go see Ron. (Mark, I didn't call you as you said Friday is bad - but I'll be going again in a few weeks.)

Ron's says his cattery had grown to at least double size since Christine (Blip) saw it. I was impressed with the way he's got things organised. After the necessary cuppa, we went to try to catalogue the cats, but it's proved impossible. Ron has at least 7 black and white males - four are brothers gifted to him by the same person. It's obviously murder trying to try them apart.  :evillaugh:

Scruffy is now eating okay, but still looks weak. He seems to be greatful of the rest in Ron's cattery, and to not have to fight for his dinner. But it broke my heart to see the poor soul waddle over to use the tray. He looked like a crooked little old man, but he's probably only 8/9. He desparately needs to be snuggled up in someone's duvet for some quiet TLC.  :(

Silver and the babies are in tip top condition. She's a first rate Mum, but after seeing her, it's obvious she not much more than a kitten herself. Another wonderful character Ron has is a huge ginger boy, who purrs so loudly and violently I thought there was an earthquake.  :evillaugh:

It was an inspiration to me to see just what can be done with so few resources. And the cats seem to be so greatful for Ron's help. If I were to put mine in a pen, it wouldn't be long before they smashed the door down, but Ron's little soldiers sit patiently waiting for their turn to br rehomed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 21:41:30 PM by Pinkbear »

Link to CatChat