Author Topic: I'd like to help ferals  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: I'd like to help ferals
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 22:10:33 PM »
Fingers crossed she gets something in soon for you then.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 20:44:15 PM »
UPDATE:

I just finished a marathon phone call with the lady from Cat 1977, London. Well and truly grilled, I was....  :poke:

I think she likes me, and has promised to call me again, however she hasn't got anything for me to do right now.  :-: She only has one litter, several year olds from last year - just about ready for rehoming - and a pregnant domestic that's purring it's head off.  :Luv:

She did suggest I take a litter and tame them.... when she has one.  :Luv:

I suppose this is a good sign that ferals in large numbers and rarer than they were 20 years ago. Or maybe it's a bad sign because less are surviving? All I know is 20 years ago when I was in London, authorities where actually gassing feral cats and that doesn't seem to happen now, thank goodness!  >:(

I also learned that in London, the RSPCA will usually refer any reported feral cases to CPL, Celia Hammond, or them (Cat77). And for your pub trivia file, farmers can deduct the cost of catfood from TAX as it's classed as pest control costs.  ;)

So.... not hopeless, then.  :wow:

Jxx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 20:23:11 PM »
Ela... it seems to be my luck that I always end up in the wrong place at the wrong time.   :tired:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 17:27:26 PM »
I've always been interested in the catching, treating, neutering and releasing aspect, and of course rehab of those who can be rehabbed.

Do you think you could move to Chesterfield, we deal with ferals almost daily and are desperate for more help.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 14:42:20 PM »
 :thanks: Julie  :)

I like to help - anything to distract me from doing my fire risk assessment  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 11:20:13 AM »
Mark, you impress me every day..! You could charge head first into a pile of horse dung and come out clutching a fiver.  :rofl: :Luv:

The lastest is that the 'field administrator' for CAT77 London is due to call me and discuss things some time today. If that doesn't work, I will def. be calling these north Kent folks. It looks like a tiny outfit in need of help.

Thanks for searching....  :Flowers:

Juliexx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »
Have you seen this one Julie?
Based in Gravesend - lot local but nearer

http://www.charityportal.org.uk/cgi-bin/engine/hyperseek.cgi?detail=1019164989
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 19:03:00 PM »
Your welcome to my smelly boy  :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 10:44:09 AM »
Good luck, and I hope you find someone who wants your help.
Please spay your cat

MBll

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 01:02:57 AM »
Trapping holidays ........interesting. How bigs the trap lol

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 23:58:19 PM »
Lainey and I trapped what we assumed to be a feral mum and kittens the other night.......it turns out mum is tame, but very shy and the kittens are wild but so adoreable  :Luv:  :Luv:  At least they've got the chance of loving homes now........the long haired ginger has my name on him  :evillaugh:  ;)  I'll have a word with the RSPCA but I'm sure if she can't take up your offer of help, I'll be able to find someone, I have a few contacts in and around that area who are always needing assistance, one way or another.

Re the Cat Trapping holidays, Lainey had her first session at trapping last week.........very ummmmm entertaining  :rofl:  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 23:48:45 PM »
Thanks, Gill

I tried a call to CPL's headquarters... but they refered me to Canterbury, where I'm already registered.  :innocent: It's not as if there aren't any ferals round here, just not many... and when there are, they seem to have their team fully trained and 'tooled up', if you know what I mean.

Dawn

I may indeed take you up on your offer of advice! When I caught my Tigger as a 5 week old all those years ago, I now know I did everything wrong....  :scared: But he did turn out to be the soppiest lap cat you ever did see.  :Luv:  It's such a shame that all kittens are born equally adorable, but some might never see a warm fireplace, or a duvet... I really want to put that right if I can.

Yes, please. If you do get a chance to speak to your RSPCA pal, she may know of something a wee nearer as well. That would be very kind.

Just a thought, Dawn... you could start Cat Trapping holidays for cat lovers...  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 23:40:32 PM »
And the last time I checked, the RSPCA had a blanket policy of euthanising ferals - been too upset to go back and see if that has changed.

Our local branch is fab with ferals but then again, it's usually myself and couple of friends of mine that deal with them around our areas.  I could try and find out for you next week as I know one of the RSPCA inspectors in the London area, I'm not sure what area she covers but I could put a word in that you may be able to help if you want.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 23:15:00 PM »
Why does everyone live so far away from me  :sigh:  I deal in mainly feral cat rescue, I find it to be more rewarding somehow.........I love all cats, feral or otherwise, but ferals do have that special something  :Luv:  :Luv:  If you do get involved and you ever need advice, you can always pm me.......I'd be more than happy to help, xxx
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 23:21:21 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 23:12:08 PM »
You could try Croydon CP, they are based way south of Croydon and know they have had some feral programmes in the past

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 23:10:09 PM »
Well, the update from this is that I've had an email from Cat77's coordinator. I told her that it takes me about an 1 and a half hours to get into London and she says it takes her the same time just to get the 5 miles through the centre! She doesn't see a problem in me volunteering in London.

She will speak to their 'field administrator' about me joining the fray. If she says its okay, its okay!

So... watch this space!  :wow:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
Thanks!

Cat77 seem to be quite involved with ferals. But I do seem to be some 80 miles away from their nearest branch - not a problem for me, so I hope it's not for them.

I shall give them a call.....  :wow:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
These two mention feral's on the catchat pages.

http://www.crrc.co.uk/
http://www.celiahammond.org/

And http://www.cat77.org.uk/ deal with ferals and have different branches which can be viewed under the Our Mission link.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »
Cheers... I am officially registered as a volunteer with Cats Protection Canterbury. But, thank goodness, we don't seem to have many ferals round here. The other local rescues are small and don't deal much with this anyway. And the last time I checked, the RSPCA had a blanket policy of euthanising ferals - been too upset to go back and see if that has changed.

Just wondered if there were rescues further afield that deal with ferals a lot...?

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
Check http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

For rescue's near you.

That should narrow it down.

I'm fostering feral kittens for the Leeds branch of Cat Action Trust 1977 but not sure if they have a branch near you.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
I'd like to help ferals
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
Hi

I was just wondering if there's anyone out there whose got a special interest in ferals? I've rehabilitated feral kittens in the past and found it really rewarding. I've always been interested in the catching, treating, neutering and releasing aspect, and of course rehab of those who can be rehabbed.

So if anyone out there within the Kent/Sussex, London-M25 area is planning an operation and needs an extra pair of hands, please drop me a line....

But I must stop spending soooo much time here!  :shy:

Juliexx

Link to CatChat