Author Topic: PHONE CALL JUST RECEIVED.  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: PHONE CALL JUST RECEIVED.
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 16:57:45 PM »
As I said, it's my personal opinion and preference - everyone's different and that's what makes this a democratic forum -

Absolutely, we all do what we think or know is in our cats interests.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 16:39:28 PM »
As I said, it's my personal opinion and preference - everyone's different and that's what makes this a democratic forum - I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong.

Dx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 16:30:09 PM »
and all of a sudden the cat has "turned on them" - probably more down to teh fact that the kids were teasing the poor cat.  I

Well all I can say is that I have been fostering for over 16 yrs and as most people on her know I take over 700 calls a month and I can honestly say that I hear what you say about cats that have 'suddenly turned on people' of all ages not just children under 5. In fact it  happens much more in people over the age of 5 than under.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 16:18:51 PM »
i was 18mths old when my mum and dad bought me my cat snowy  :Luv:
and we were taught how to respect the cat and let the cat have its own space ,

as long as a parent does that then its fine imo

im rather concerned from what ive been hearing from my little sister though  :shify:

re my sisters cat (the sister with the baby who i do not talk to )

apparently alfie has started showing an interest in the cat and he has been grabbing him and pulling out clumps of fur  :'(
anyway the cat scratched alfies head by acciendent, and so ive been told my sisters bf chucked a remote control at the cat and made him cry  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

what my main concern is they live on the third floor
and unlike us lot who would get cat screens or not have the windows open ,they r selfish and just think of them selfs and have the windows open wide all the time
im worried
as what happens if alfie grabs the cat and the cats scared and he rushes off and head for the window and jumps or something  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

ive tried telling my little sister whos 11 to tell my other sister to be careful with the windows being wide open ,

i cant believe they do it tbh , they must know that it is dangerous for heavens sake  >:(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 14:27:31 PM »
I was 18 months old when my mum and dad got a kitten - and of course I was shown that cats and all animals should be treated with respect and kindness.  Anyway Polly would almost scratch you to death if you even dared to stroke her - bless her she lived to the ripe old age of 18.

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 14:23:15 PM »
I have a 2yo and he is great with my cats all because I have taught him to be, so its up to the parents really.

I can see points from both sides.

It wouldnt be good to home a cat with kids if it has had to be rehomed because of the kids.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 14:25:18 PM by ccmacey »

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 13:56:04 PM »
I hear what you're saying, and I know that it's how the child has been brought up, but a lot of the cats that are handed in to us come from homes with very young children - and all of a sudden the cat has "turned on them" - probably more down to teh fact that the kids were teasing the poor cat.  I can see arguments from either side, it was a decision taken by the rescue and not myself personallly - although I would feel happier that kittens went to a family with children older than 5 - but that's my own personal opinion.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 13:26:29 PM »
thankfully we don't rehome kittens to people with kids under 5 years

We do and to be honest I would not be happy if the fosterers would not, although they can have the final say.
In fact it makes me cross when I hear this, the reason being is that children don't suddenly become responsible when they turn 5. If anything as they get older they be4come worse. In fact we get more harm done to cats from  so called adults than anything. With us it depends on the family as a whole.

I jhad  a kittens when my daughter was small.
Many years ago when someone else was Co-ordinator she came up with the idea that we could not home where there were children under 5, I said in that case you will lose half of the fosterers as most have children under 5 themselves and others have grandchildren they care for under 5. You cannot have one rule for fosterers and one for prospective owners as that would be double standards. Anyway after talking to me she decided that it would be OK.

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 13:13:02 PM »
I don't take them off the website - I know I should be more honest, but how can you say to someone,"no, I wouldn't rehome a cat to you in a million years" - I've had people, as I'm sure have you, who have asked me if they could have a cat and "pay for it when their benefit cheque comes through in a couple of weeks" - not discriminating against anyone on benefits, but if you can't afford the cat in the first place, how can you afford to feed it, etc, etc.

And of course I just get the downright thick people who "want a kitten for their 2 month old baby to play with" - thankfully we don't rehome kittens to people with kids under 5 years.

Sometimes a blatant lie is better then a simple f*** off, which I have felt like saying quite a few times (and I'm a nice person really!!)

Dx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 13:07:15 PM »
Usually something like, sorry they've been rehomed

I cannot so that as usually they have sen the cat on the website, and I don't want to remove the pic until the cat is homed.

Usually when a person does not understand that I am trying to say no diplomatically , I say 'where sis you say you lived again' and when they tell me I can say Oh! dear we only have one cat suitable for your situation and unfortunately it came from very near you and we cannot place a cat near to where it initially came from.

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 12:38:55 PM »
Must admit I lie too when I hear someone on the phone I don't like the sound of!  Usually something like, sorry they've been rehomed - I know it's wrong, but people who's first question is "how much are your kittens/cats" - well they don't get them from me!

Dx

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 19:31:25 PM »
Not suspicious in the slightest

Absolutely not it is such a shame that we didn't have any kittens ready Oh! I am such a liar, but I know as I am sure are others who vet within the first few words. what the outcome will be.

Do you know, one of my pet hate is people who lie but I think it is OK  when it is in a cats interest.

i hate lies too but when its in the best interest of an animals saftey and well being lies are fine  ;)
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 17:37:11 PM »
Not suspicious in the slightest

Absolutely not it is such a shame that we didn't have any kittens ready Oh! I am such a liar, but I know as I am sure are others who vet within the first few words. what the outcome will be.

Do you know, one of my pet hate is people who lie but I think it is OK  when it is in a cats interest.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 17:32:27 PM »
Was it a kid?

No

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 17:13:01 PM »
Not suspicious in the slightest  :shify: :shify:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 17:11:17 PM »
The mind boggles  :Crazy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 16:45:12 PM »
Was it a kid?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
PHONE CALL JUST RECEIVED.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 16:24:14 PM »
Caller:  Have you got any Kittens?
Me:     We have but they are not ready for homing yet.
Caller:  Do you know anyone who has any?
Me:     Where do you live? (So I could give nearest rescue)
Caller:  Chesterfield
Me:     Where in Chesterfield?
Caller:  Not on a main Road.
Me:     What is the name of the Road?
Caller:  After a mumbled discussion with someone, I don’t know it’s my uncles house,  Why do you want to know.
Me:     So I can tell you the number of the nearest rescue.
Caller.  What is the number of the nearest rescue.
Me:     i don’t know until I know where you live.
Caller.   It is near a farm.
Me:     There are dozens of farms in and around Chesterfield.
Caller:  Well it is my uncles house and he lives in Nuneaton.
Me:     Well if you don’t know where you live I cannot help.
Not that I would have in any case.

Link to CatChat