Author Topic: Jessie's weeing  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Jessie's weeing
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 16:18:50 PM »
I cant remember if it was because the drugs reacted or not wanting to mix two anti inflammatory together  :-:

Strange metacam made her worse, its normally good.
Did the catrophen help her leg any? In dogs it seems to work well.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 21:42:29 PM »
That is interesting MM, although Tiger was given Cartrophen cos MEtacam seemed to make her worse!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 18:34:31 PM »
I would get a sample checked out just to make sure, they can check it inhouse and send some away to be cultured. Red wee doesnt always mean infection and giving ABs on spec isnt a mucher IMO. Some vets are too slap happy with them!

Taz also had Cartrophen. You could ask to do it yourself as the extra stress going everyweek isnt good for a cat with stress related problems! Its a tiny injection  ;D
If you google bladders+GAGs you'll find out the line of thinking of how they hope it helps!
Did you get any more Cystaid? Cartrophen is the much more expensive route of glucosamine.....

Metacam doesnt mix with Cartrophen so its one or the other

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 22:55:43 PM »
 :thanks: - I think I'll try feeding more wet.

The vet said the cartrophen injections act/contain an anti-inflammatory and the AB injection was more of a precautionary measure given that her wee was so red (as demonstrated on the examining table  :()

I think I'll also try some rescue remedy - it won't do any harm.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 22:45:44 PM »
Metacam is an anti-inflammatory, and I would have thought better to deal with Cystitis than AB's - my foster had that and Cystaid (plus a diet change) and it worked wonders. My vet's recommendation for cats with cystitis is no dry food at all, it might be worth trying with her until she is over this, and dry food is also more fattening, so will also help you watch their weights - I feed 2 meals of wet, and a small amount of dry for overnight, I dont like giving them purely dry for a meal.
Please spay your cat

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 22:43:04 PM »
she isn't on metacam - don't know what that is/does  :-: could ask the vet on Saturday?  Would it help?

Jessie eats a mix of wet and dry - biscuits in the morning and a pouch of wet in the evening - plus the occasional treat.  I'm very careful about what and how much I feed them as I don't want them getting overweight - they're quite dainty cats really.

The trouble is, the more attention we pay Jessie, the more needy and pushy Cosmo gets and the more stressed Jessie gets :tired:  She can usually handle him except when she's under the weather  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 21:28:21 PM »
Fingers crossed the tabs work. Cartrophen is Glucosamine based, as is Cystaid - Tiger had those for her leg, she had one a week for 4 weeks. Is she on any Metacam? What does she eat?
Please spay your cat

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 20:45:33 PM »
The saga continues...even tho' she seemed better last night, this morning she was spot marking a lot and it was red not pink so off we went to the vet's.  She's now had an AB injection and is on a course of cartrophen injections - she'll need 4 over the next 10 days but apparently it provides a "reserve" for her body to access when she gets stressed.  Vet said her bladder was v stressed - poor love  :(

I've also sprayed everywhere with feliway.  It's odd 'cos she was being really purry on OH's lap earlier and then, as soon as she jumped down, she immediately went to mark the chair, cushion, corner etc.  So, instead of shouting at her to stop, gerroff or whatever to stop her, I've now filled up a little water pistol to spray and distract her when she goes to do anything like that - hope that doesn't sound mean but it will hopefully get her out of the habit of marking certain favourite spots.

feel such a bad meowmy  :(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 22:34:28 PM »

Don't think it's an infection so ABs won't do any good - like before, it's been brought on by stress so plenty of attention plus I'll see if I can get some more cystaid from the vet's. 

Think cystaid has to be given for longer than the week your vet initially recommended, for it to be effective.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 22:08:38 PM »
Yeah, dont know what I was thinking advising AB's, of course they do nothing for stress related cystitis, I should know that, I did live with it for 14 months!! You can get Cystaid online, but you do have to buy an incredibly large tub of it, although it worked out cheaper than I was paying at the vets. I think I was more concerned by the fact you said she kept giong to the tray but not staying for long, although females dont tend to block.
Please spay your cat

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 21:50:14 PM »
sorry, my fault  :scared: I'm not cross with Jessie but with idiots setting off loads of fireworks night after night (can still hear bangs in the distance  >:().  She was really bad last night but seems much better tonight - OH has been off sick - well "poorly" - yesterday and today so he was able to let them both out during the day 'cos it's been so nice if a bit cold.  And we've been giving her extra treats, cuddles and playtime whilst shooing jealous bro' away.  They're both knackered now - Cosmo's sprawled along the back of the sofa and Jessie was lying at my feet but at least she's been playing and isn't hiding away like she did before  :(.  Although she does still keep going over to the corner in the hallway where OH leaves his shoes... :scared:...if I see her, I call her back.

Don't think it's an infection so ABs won't do any good - like before, it's been brought on by stress so plenty of attention plus I'll see if I can get some more cystaid from the vet's.  Don't want to give her spot-on flea treatment as that'll just upset her further, think I'll leave it to the weekend. 

What to do, what to do for the best :Crazy:

thanks for the advice guys - it's nice to let off steam to people who understand  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 15:54:47 PM »
If its stress you dont need ABs. I surprisingly read that the amount of bladder problems caused by bacteria was really really low, 2% i think!!
Iv had Tazs wee tested when its been dark brown and still no bacteria present  :(

Il locate the site as its interesting.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »
Going to the litter tray more often is a classic cystitis sign, I'm afraid - but please dont get cross, she isn't doing it on purpose. I have found with all my cats that they have needed more than one course of antibiotics to deal with a cystitis bout. The fireworks could have stressed her, and stress is one of hte biggest cause of cystitis. Good luck with her, but I would put a call into the vet to see if they can give you more antibiotics.
Please spay your cat

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 22:39:56 PM »
so cross - thought Jessie had got over the weeing spat and now tonight she's doing it worse than ever  >:( she also seems to be going to the litter tray more often too but not staying in there long.

hope it's just the fireworks that are the problem and she'll get back to normal once it's over.  We have a 4 seasons duvet and the winter tog is in the cleaners and I'll be taking the summer one in tomorrow.  We're now using the spare duvet  :Crazy: hope this lasts until we get one of the others back from the laundry

we seemed to be making such good progress too :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 20:31:34 PM »
Oh yes  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 22:51:57 PM »
Was checking you had discovered it on Vet UK!!!
Please spay your cat

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 19:11:07 PM »
sounds like shes just upset at the vets visit marys the same  simple solution works for the pee very well

Yes make sure shes got her hidey holes and i would leave her alone let her come to you hopefully

many of us have bought cat trees from Albany pets on ebay they are very good quality and cheaper if moneys tight

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 15:44:26 PM »
Initially it came from the vet then i discovered vet uk  :evillaugh:
Taz adores metacam but only gets it when hes really bad. I give him water from the syringe and hes happy with that  :rofl:

Duchess, have a look on zooplus for cat trees (if you buy use the purrs link at the bottom of the page ;D )

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 08:07:45 AM »
MM - that's interesting, Tom was on 1 tablet a day from the start, it was the MEtacam we had to reduce. Do you get yours from teh vet?

I started giving Tom a small amount of HiLife tuna with his MEtacam, but the vet did tell me off for it, as it can contribute to issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 21:09:35 PM »
thanks for the advice guys but just to point out that it is really only a teaspoon of tuna she gets 'cos then I know she'll yum it up along with the cystaid. 

She seems much better today, especially after plugging in the feliway - seems to have had an almost instant effect!  Now just to go shopping for new toys and cat trees...yaaay!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »
Taz has his cystaid twice daily, its the initial dose that you hopefully get to lower but iv never been able to  :(

He really likes his water fountain and he has extra hidey holes for when hes being a wimp. I also use feliway/valerian/rescue remedy.
I got him a new toy a while back - a mouse that twitters - but it had the opposite effect as he found it all too exciting to cope with  :doh:

Taz still gets some fish treats as he offically doesnt have a problem with bladder stones, its all in his head  :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »
Tuna is the worst thing you can give a cat with urinary probs, fish has a higher level of magnesium, which can cause issues. I find it unusual they have told you to give 2 Cystaid tabs a day, one is normally enough (but it is good stuff, shame you can only buy large tubs online though). Good luck with keeping stress levels low though.
Please spay your cat

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 21:50:26 PM »
took Jessie to the vet's tonight - she's been given an anti-inflammatory jab and some cystaid tablets (2 a day for a week).

She's been noticeably subdued  :( since she had her check up and boosters a week or so ago and has been leaving drops of wee on my things.  My handbag, my clean nightdress that I'd laid out on the bed - she looked me straight in the eye when she did that and also when she marked the duvet on my side of the bed.

Vet said she's probably stressed so I've read up on what to do so: more dedicated playtime with Jessie (need to lock Cosmo away when we do that so he doesn't muscle in); new toys; felliway - I'll get that tomorrow; new cat tower with hidey holes so she can escape somewhere safe; a drinking fountain and another eating station.  This is gonna cost a fortune but my wee girl's worth it - I just want her to be happy again  :'( 

I shall also be filling the water pistol to squirt Cosmo when he's being too boisterous or chasing her :evillaugh:

Gave Jessie some tuna for tea tonight and we started the new regime - she already seems a bit brighter in herself, which is ;D

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 00:22:26 AM »
It might be worth giving the vet a call and explaining what has happened. They usually need antibiotics for cystitis although as you only say the vet the other day they may just let you pick up the tablets rather than taking her back in case the stress makes her worse.

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 18:58:07 PM »
 :thanks: for the advice.

re litter trays - no changes there and I have 2 - one covered and one not and they're in different rooms - so that should be ok.  I'll just keep an eye on her to make sure she gets her fair share of attention - her bro's soooo emotionally needy, he'll muscle in to get all the attention and won't stop pestering until he gets it >:(

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 22:54:44 PM »
It's bio!  ;D 

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 22:15:54 PM »
ITS bio. :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 17:43:40 PM »
OK ladies get it straight, is it bio or non-bio  :rofl: :rofl:

I think its bio ?  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 16:11:00 PM »
You need bio as it has enzymes in it to sort out the odours  ;D

Have you enough trays/changed your litter type?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »
Non-bio washing powder.
Please spay your cat

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »
thanks - she seems brighter this a.m. and has eaten her brekkie but there is a fresh stain on the rug...  :(...I'll have to get it dry cleaned and wash the area underneath with Simple solution (can't remember whether it's bio or non-bio washing powder to use?).

In the meantime, I think I'll keep them out of our bedroom  :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 22:01:32 PM »
Maybe she is stressed from her vet visit and she maybe subdued as a result of the boosters.....keep a close watch on her  :hug:

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
Jessie's weeing
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 21:16:03 PM »
ok - this morning we took Jessie to the vet's for her annual check-up and boosters - everything went fine - she's A1.  She even played outside with her bro Cosmo, she normally just sits on the doorstep and peeks out.

However, this afternoon and this evening she was v subdued and didn't eat her tea so I gave her some tuna, which she yummed up.  Now I've found that she's weed on my sheepskin rug and it looks a bit pinkish so I'm thinking she might have about of cystitis, either that or it's the tuna that's made it that colour.  The thing is, she's had a few "duvet" incidents in the past and I thought we'd got over them but this morning I noticed that the radiator bed that I'd put up this week had a few drops of fresh wee on it (normal colour) and she has pooed in Cosmo's cat bed before until we put them away.

I think I'll have to take her back to the vet's but that won't be until Monday morning now.  Just wondered if there's anything I can do in the meantime?  I'm also going to investigate getting some felliway spray/plug in and a drinking fountain as that's supposed to help cats with this condition.

:( now she's just hiding under the bed  :(

Link to CatChat