Author Topic: Rescue Ragdoll ill again  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Rescue Ragdoll ill again
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 00:08:58 AM »
If he's had three months of antibiotics, has he also had a course of probiotics (friendly bacteria) such as Lacto-B? Are you able to access his veterinary notes so you know what this was for? Hairball biscuits tend to be high in fibre which could bung up a cat if he was dehydrated - cats are not good drinkers - have you tried a wet only or raw diet, using hairball paste instead?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 18:39:58 PM »
Sounds like a blockage or some kind of enteritis. Have you tried giving him something for the hairball?

Does he have any yellowing of his skin? He could have a liver problem. Minnie had really bad jaundice, but she was older, about 8yrs. She threw up yellow bile.

I hope your vet manages to sort this problem soon.  :hug:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 18:41:01 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 14:23:26 PM »
I do feel for you and for your poor boy, what's his name btw?

Vet bills can be very costly as I well know.  We never take out insurance because we only adopt old cats very often with many illnesses so like you say it's hardly worth taking out insurance.

I do hope that you find out what's causing the problems your poor cat must be feeling pretty grim.  Once the investigations have been done then hopefully you'll get to the bottom of what's causing things because very often until you do the bills just mount up. 

Best of luck  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline annettemarie

• Adult Cat
  • My darling Crookie
Rescue Ragdoll ill again
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 13:44:26 PM »
Hi there

I took on a six year old Ragdoll male from the SSPCA in May, so far, to date he's cost over £300 in vets bills.  I have taken out insurance, but it probably won't be worth it as he was sick before I took out the insurance, and now he's sick again, exactly the same.

He throws up bubbly yellow bile and refuses to eat or drink.  It always follows him coughing up a furball.  I groom him every day, he has special hairball buscuits too.  Last time he was in the vets for a week, finally he came round and was OK...his good health lasted a month, and now the same thing, vomiting and not eating.

Vet thinks he will need the camera to see whats going on inside, I don't know how I'll pay for that!

When I had adopted him the SSPCA sent me a sheet detailing all the meds he had to be given prior to me bringing him home.  3 months of antibiotics!  They must have know he had ongoing health issue's yet handed him over with no warning.

I love him to bits and will do all I can for him...but I wondered if anyone had any advice?

Link to CatChat