Author Topic: arthritis  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: arthritis
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 19:42:16 PM »
Obviously weight does exacerbate the problem. My Alice can climb up the sofa - she drags herself up it with her front legs. Luckily she only does it the the Ikea sofa in the basement  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 19:03:06 PM »
 :welcome:
Obv question but have you checked theres not a problem with a claw?
I'd def get a vets appt for a check over, and if not she's not had any for a while have bloods checked, you know where you stand for treatment options then  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 17:46:07 PM »
I would definitely get the vet to have  look as they will have a better idea after manipulating the leg. I would recommend getting him straight onto a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement (vetUK sell lots of different brands) it can reall help rebuild cartilage and improve the symptoms. If the cat is in a lot of pain, they may need pain relief. I have just ordered an Infrared bed for my Alice to see if if helps her at all. They are expensive but worth it if they help.

Idid a lot of googling to get the best price. Most places charge £175 for the small & £185 for the large. These are a lot cheaper http://www.prestigeradiators.co.uk/infrared-pet-bed-and-pad-35watts.html

I really hope it works. Mine was delivered to a shop next door while I was out today so hopefully I can get her using it tomorrow. They have some good reviews.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tuppence

• Kitten
arthritis
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 16:16:07 PM »
Hi everyone,

Our 18 year old British Shorthair has a pronounced limp in her back leg and has to gently lower herself when lying down. She can still jump up onto the sofa, bed etc and seems to otherwise to be in good health.

She's a stocky, heavy cat and we're thinking it's her age, and as with us, is suffering joint problems.

Any suggestions folks ?

PS..........we're fairly sure she hasn't injured herself.

Link to CatChat