Author Topic: Best way to de- mat a cat?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Best way to de- mat a cat?
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 17:29:43 PM »
HELLO I FIND THIS VERY WORRIEING THAT YOUR ASKING FOR ADVICE ON WHAT TO USE TO KNOCK YOUR CAT OUT SO YOU CAN CLIP IT !
SURELY ITS BETTER TO TAKE IT TO THE VETS WERE IT CAN BE DONE I THINK ITS WELL WORTH THE FULL £66 POUNDS !

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT THINKS THIS ?

The only place for a cat to be sedated is the vets, if hes going to stress that much hes better off going there tbh.
Other option is to let a professional groomer have a go,they have handling techniques for nervous clients

Personally i would never try and sedate a cat at all .
The best thing to do would be let the vet do it properly under sedation there .

Demonstrably not, Meowxx.  Welcome to Purrs.  Please do take the time to introduce yourself in our welcome area.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 17:24:58 PM »
Sorry Meawxx the cat in question is not in my care anymore, so your post is irrelivant to this thread.

PS were you shouting or did you leave the caps on, lol
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline meawxx

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 17:16:01 PM »
Oliver MMP, is long haired and has lots of tats underneath his underside. He is nervous but I can pick him up/ pet him. I am wondering how will I be able to keep him on his back while I clipper him? Bearing in mind this is going to take at least half an hour.

I had asked my vets if they could give him a GA and do it but it's going to cost £66  :wow:

Well anyways, I just find it a bit silly paying this out when I could do it myself. I have a small pair of clippers which I use on my rabbits and they are really quiet too.

So what would you suggest I use to dope him up enough to be able to do this? Im getting some serine UM, but I know this would just ease him, and I think he's gonna have to be tatally knocked out with the time it's going to take.

HELLO I FIND THIS VERY WORRIEING THAT YOUR ASKING FOR ADVICE ON WHAT TO USE TO KNOCK YOUR CAT OUT SO YOU CAN CLIP IT !
SURELY ITS BETTER TO TAKE IT TO THE VETS WERE IT CAN BE DONE I THINK ITS WELL WORTH THE FULL £66 POUNDS !

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT THINKS THIS ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 17:17:29 PM by meawxx »

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »
Are you still stuggling then CC?
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:50:39 PM by ccmacey »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »
Personally I would not try and do it all in one go, too stressful for the cat and you! Put the clippers on while he is around and see what reaction you get. Might be better for some one to just pet the head end and offer reassuring noises. I am trying to dematt my old man who is 15 now and it has taken me weeks. I have to clip away at the matts with a pair of scissors and get the OH to reassure the head end and deflect the teeth and claws. I can only do one bit at a time.

that's the way I have done it in the past or asked my vet
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 20:56:30 PM »
Yes as he came from a home that e was strayed from cos of the dog!

Surely there should be someone in my area that groom cats, or else I will have to shop around vets. Will try the serine um with him first and see what kind of effect that has on him.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 20:00:53 PM »
Yes I was thinking that also MM, there is a doggy groomer shop near me but I dont know if it does cats. Guess what its called....................... DOGGY STYLE  :rofl:

Sounds trashy! Id try to find a cat only goomer, having smelly dogs in the same room would probably upset him  :(

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 00:27:35 AM »
Personally i would never try and sedate a cat at all .
The best thing to do would be let the vet do it properly under sedation there .
When its all been done you can start again from scratch .
I had to do that with Winston when i first got him - he came back with only fur on his head , his feet and bottom half of his tail.
I then got him used to being groomed by using a gentle brush a few mins a day .
I can now roll him over and comb him everywhere without too much bother.
He was one big knot when i got him - poor boy.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 23:59:54 PM »
Yes I was thinking that also MM, there is a doggy groomer shop near me but I dont know if it does cats. Guess what its called....................... DOGGY STYLE  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 19:23:27 PM »
The only place for a cat to be sedated is the vets, if hes going to stress that much hes better off going there tbh.
Other option is to let a professional groomer have a go,they have handling techniques for nervous clients

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 18:06:54 PM »
Can you remove mats using olive oil?  I rmember someone giving me that tip to remove dreadlocks from my daughters hair!! We just soaked the dreads in oil and used a comb with widely spaced teeth.  Anyone know if it would be safe for a cat, or work?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 19:26:05 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 17:42:10 PM »
I am afraid that is a risk you take with sedatives, they alter the state of awareness and as you mum found out can do more harm that good!

I don't know of anything that is available over the counter that would knock your cat out and to want to do that without vet supervsion is a bit of a risk. He could drop his blood pressure which in turn could comprimise his kidneys and also lack of oxygenation is an issue if his airway is not kept open.

IMHO opinion not a risk I would take and I have a good anaesthetic/sedation knowledge from a previous life.

However someone hopefully may have had similar issues and overcome them.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 17:31:12 PM »
Oliver is a very nervous cat but he has never scratched me once, so it's not getting scratched that Im worried about. He will need to be on his back out cold for this, so am needing something to knock him out really. Im a bit worried about getting a sedative tablet from the vets, as my mum tried this once with one of hers during the fireworks and it made her even more loopy, it went the oposit way and the cat was running around mental.

He has started to pull a lot of his fur out now so it's obviously annoying him.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 17:05:52 PM »
Personally I would not try and do it all in one go, too stressful for the cat and you! Put the clippers on while he is around and see what reaction you get. Might be better for some one to just pet the head end and offer reassuring noises. I am trying to dematt my old man who is 15 now and it has taken me weeks. I have to clip away at the matts with a pair of scissors and get the OH to reassure the head end and deflect the teeth and claws. I can only do one bit at a time.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Best way to de- mat a cat?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 00:17:34 AM »
Oliver MMP, is long haired and has lots of tats underneath his underside. He is nervous but I can pick him up/ pet him. I am wondering how will I be able to keep him on his back while I clipper him? Bearing in mind this is going to take at least half an hour.

I had asked my vets if they could give him a GA and do it but it's going to cost £66  :wow:

Well anyways, I just find it a bit silly paying this out when I could do it myself. I have a small pair of clippers which I use on my rabbits and they are really quiet too.

So what would you suggest I use to dope him up enough to be able to do this? Im getting some serine UM, but I know this would just ease him, and I think he's gonna have to be tatally knocked out with the time it's going to take.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 00:19:09 AM by ccmacey »

Link to CatChat