Author Topic: Another question - moving house  (Read 1103 times)

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Re: Another question - moving house
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 18:36:11 PM »
If I were to get this house, which I still hope I will, the owner of the dogs will be my landlord.  Perhaps there would be some room for negotiation with making sure there is at least a secure area outside for Silvie next to the house.  I certainly plan to keep her inside for as long as possible.  When I first got her at 5 months old, we kept her inside for about 5 months!  She was only young then, but I really think that did contribute to the fact that she is a very home loving cat now - whilst you can never be sure with cats(!), I don't think she goes much further than the surrounding gardens very often.
Am hoping to visit myself in a couple of weeks so I can see for myself what my mum means when she says the dogs 'run free' (I sent her to look at teh house for me!)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Another question - moving house
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 06:24:09 AM »
First of all - the owner of the dogs has the same obligation that any dog owner has, to keep them under control when they are off their property. Doesn't matter if they own the place you are renting - by renting it you have bought the right to peaceful enjoyment of the place and this means their dogs are not allowed onto your property without your approval. Once your cats leave your property they will deal with the dogs in much the same way as they do with current threats - they will retreat. It really doesn't matter if the dogs are used to cats if your cats are not used to dogs - they will still run away and the dogs will still chase them because their 'chase' instinct has been triggered. They are unlikely to tear your cat limb from limb, but that is small consolation if she can't find her way home again being in strange territory.

So, do keep them indoors as you plan, but also make it clear to the dog owners that you do not expect their dogs to be near your place. Use the 'inside' time to work out for yourself if this requirement is being observed. If not, sort it before the cats go out, or alternately ask them to keep them inside at certain times so that you can let your cats out for supervised runs until they know their way around. That way, at least if they take fright, they will be able to find their way home.

Sounds like a lovely place apart from the doggy situation - good luck with the move.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Another question - moving house
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 22:52:25 PM »
I have another question for you mog-learned folk.
I am hoping to move house later in the year.  I am planning for Silvie to stay in in some nice FAB-approved boarding for a few days whilst the actual move takes place and also to keep her inside for 4 - 6 weeks when she finally joins me at our  new home.
My concern is that the new house I'm hoping to move to is on a farm where they have some dogs which apparently run free.  As far as I'm aware, she has little experience of dogs.  The dogs are allegedly 'used to cats'.  My mum went to see the new house for me - I have yet to meet the landlord and find out what that actually means!
I don't want my enthusiasm to overshadow any issues that Silvie may have.
Any Advice?

Link to CatChat