Author Topic: He's always cold.  (Read 25904 times)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
Re: He's always cold.
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2007, 14:13:47 PM »
How come u dont trust the pdsa ?

i trust them just as much as any vet ,theyve all studied the same and all have the same quailfcations
the pdsa saved my mollys life when we first got her .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 14:35:04 PM by forever_missing_my_boys »
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2007, 14:06:16 PM »
Trust the PDSA? No. Trust the private vets? Yes, 110%.

I feel like the PDSA give no moral support and dont try to lead me in a direction thats for the best, leaving me to make the desisions and I dont know whats for the best, Im not been given the pro's and con's which is making it so very hard to decide.  :(

Money is not an issue, thats if its not £500+, anything under that I could manage (well not manage it would just leave me with more debt but I could raise it)  :shy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2007, 13:51:49 PM »
also paraniod that they will do something and say he didnt make it through the op just to get me off their backs, and how would I know the truth?

I am sure they would not do that, even a vet I would not take a during flea to is beyond doing that I think.

If I had 110% reasurance that the op would be sucsessful and Ollie would no longer have the problem and didnt need the meds for the rest of his life I would go for it.

Unfortunately you could never have that reassurance for any situation. Sometimes when we leave our little one at the vets it is just a fingers crossed thing. I know sometimes I have never known what the outcome will for sure be but have needed to take the chance. Fortunately in all cases all has turned out for the best.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 14:27:11 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2007, 13:17:49 PM »
I also paraniod that they will do something and say he didnt make it through the op just to get me off their backs, and how would I know the truth?

Sadly, you wouldn't. There has to be a degree of believe in the vet for you to agree to anything when caring for your pet. It's hard I know.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

ccmacey

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2007, 13:07:08 PM »
Yes brain cant cope with it anymore, I dont know what to do.

If I had 110% reasurance that the op would be sucsessful and Ollie would no longer have the problem and didnt need the meds for the rest of his life I would go for it. But there is no way of knowing that.

I also paraniod that they will do something and say he didnt make it through the op just to get me off their backs, and how would I know the truth?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2007, 13:00:36 PM »
I'm not ready for that yet.

I can understand that, I think we never are. I do feel for you as  I expect you don't know which way to turn.

ccmacey

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »
Nope still knackered.

Lynn I have been looking on the net about the roots been left in and it says it could cause further problems, Its in the too soon to go to the bridge in general section. Thats why I don't know what to do as I'm not a vet and this is really messing my head up, I cant think anymore about it. And I also don't want that done as people have said its barbaric and I'm also scared in case Ollie does not get on well and dies, I'm not ready for that yet.

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1441.0
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:47:37 PM by ccmacey »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »
I will get back to this later its exhausting me now.

Hope you had a good sleep and are now refreshed

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2007, 22:11:21 PM »
i think i did mention before but if they take the teeth off past gum level, very often in cats the roots cause no further pain and problems, they seem far less likely to have problems than dogs and certainly humans.  If the pdsa has up to date equipment such as electric drills with different bitts then that procedure would be very quick.  whereas gouging out healthy teeth will be prolonged, very painful, more tricky etc etc.

I would do abit of reasearch and speak to a few different vets about roots being left in cats and what they thought of the procdure suggested to leave them.  if the pdsa said they would do that then i'd consider it.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2007, 21:25:20 PM »
Ela I think this has all been covered on this thread before if you read all the thread.

I think cc is at the end of her options financially, so is stuck with PDSA and the bad care they seem to provide  :(

ccmacey

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2007, 21:16:50 PM »
I will get back to this later its exhausting me now.  :shy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2007, 20:15:46 PM »
They said the would do a dental but not full removal of the teeth and roots, they were going to file the teeth down to below the gum line and leave the roots in,

Sounds to me like that would take longer than removal. Then again what do I know.

Also as previously advised the vet will only remove the teeth if they think that is the problem and if so it would be cheaper in the long run than provide tablets for life. As we all know  antibiotics only work for a time then for the effect is not so great  and steroids are not good long term. and cause other problems. Are you sure you cannot go to another vet for a second opinion.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2007, 19:32:55 PM »
We had words in the room and he left me feeling like a child and also reminded me that they are a charity and cannot just go giving those sorts of funds to any case.

Know what you mean. I had the same sort of "discussion" with the vet I go to with my PDSA cover. Makes you feel awful doesn't it?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2007, 19:21:54 PM »
You can do what you want at a private vets iff you can afford it, but am sure thats not what you meant  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2007, 19:02:51 PM »
Well Im now seeing the senior vet as I wrote an email to the PDSA explaining the situation and of course they sent it to him. We had words in the room and he left me feeling like a child and also reminded me that they are a charity and cannot just go giving those sorts of funds to any case.

So Im now feeling like I cant suggest anything cos it gets shot in my face, the vet even said yesterday is there no way you can get it done at a private vets.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2007, 18:55:49 PM »
Dont shot the messenger Im only telling ya's what I'm getting told.  :shy:

Bless. Nope most definately not your fault. If they say they're covering Ollie they should be doing whatever is required to aid his health as far as I know. Have you called PDSA HQ?

ccmacey

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2007, 18:48:29 PM »
They said the would do a dental but not full removal of the teeth and roots, they were going to file the teeth down to below the gum line and leave the roots in, which sounds even more painfull to me and it could cause related problems.

Dont shot the messinger Im only telling ya's what Im getting told.  :shy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2007, 18:29:40 PM »
The issue is its an expensive op and I have been told by the PDSA they wont do it.

I know someone who had their cat registered at a private vet under PDSA and the cat had a dental paid for by PDSA.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 18:29:58 PM by Ela »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2007, 18:13:49 PM »
Blimey, I've never heard them say that with regards to an animal that's covered by them. Then what's the point to the cover?!

ccmacey

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2007, 17:51:58 PM »
The issue is its an expensive op and I have been told by the PDSA they wont do it.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2007, 16:53:47 PM »
The PDSA won't do the op because it costs too much.

Eh? If you're covered by them for this problem, there shouldn't be an issue as far as I'm aware.

What was that no coverage for related things about Jack? I think Ollie is registered there for life now and all illnesses will be seen too, as long as I still qualify.

I'm just giving information I was given at a vet that runs the PDSA scheme in our area. He said that because my cat had had problems with her ear(and wasn't covered by the Pet Aid scheme), and then needed to come back for an operation on it, he doubted the PDSA would pay for it it when she was covered by them. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2007, 15:51:59 PM »
If they agree get it on paper  :shify:

Jack Spratts suggestion of phoning all vets in your area is a good one, £500 - £600 does sound excessive and i live in Essex where fees are higher  >:(

ccmacey

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2007, 15:27:15 PM »
Hum maybe I could say his teeth fell out, not lol.

I have been seeing the seniour vet at the PDSA and asking about being able to come back after the op if needs be is a good idea, but of course he could say yes at the time just to get me out of there.

Think Im going to try and twist that so he ask's me about that, thanks Ela.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2007, 15:25:51 PM »
Ela you needing the loo? Whats the P mean?

Wooppppppps I started to type and then it disappeared know where to, I posted it :rofl:

What some folks will do to get an extra post.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2007, 15:22:49 PM »
Perhaps he could have all his teeth out and if there is still a problem say  they fell out ;D

Alternatively you could ask to speak to the head of the clinic and explain that you would like to try and save them money so are prepared to go private to have a dental, but if that fails to help can they still treat the little one. I know it is a shame to lose the teeth for nothing so perhaps another vet opinion may be an option.

ccmacey

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2007, 15:21:59 PM »
Ela you needing the loo? Whats the P mean?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 15:18:43 PM »
The point is If I get the op done at a private vets and it doesnt solve the problem the PDSA will not take me back on and I cant cover the costs of his meds every month if he still needs them.

P

ccmacey

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2007, 14:15:01 PM »
They are doing more good than none at the moment.

The point is If I get the op done at a private vets and it doesnt solve the problem the PDSA will not take me back on and I cant cover the costs of his meds every month if he still needs them.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2007, 13:39:02 PM »
Right, I still wonder why they would give perscription drugs for life when perhaps a dental may solve many of the problems. I think Lynn is going to look into the steroid situation, isn't she?   Usually vets do not like to give steroids long term because Io the problems that itself brings so I am very surprised they would just want to keep a cat on them. Also surely antibiotics after a time fail to do any good.

ccmacey

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2007, 13:21:38 PM »
The meds he's on at the PDSA come nowhere near that cost, thats what I was paying at the private vets, the private vets greatly over charge.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2007, 13:10:01 PM »
Ela he was on drops every week and they cost more than the tablets, they were £30, and of course the costs of the steriod injection when he needed it, it was very hard to get tablets into him at that time.

I must be think where does the £200 a month come from.

Also why would they rather spend £200 a month when perhaps 1 dental may sort it.

ccmacey

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2007, 13:02:47 PM »
The PDSA wont do the op because it costs too much.

What was that no coverage for related things about Jack? I think Ollie is registered there for life now and all illnesses will be seen too, as long as I still qualify.

Ela he was on drops every week and they cost more than the tablets, they were £30, and of course the costs of the steriod injection when he needed it, it was very hard to get tablets into him at that time.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »
if the pdsa wont do it then they obviously dont think the cat will be in any pain or discomfort or they would ,
i wouldnt feel guilty about not being able to raise that kind of money ccmacey
it sounds like ur doing everything u possibly can for him .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »
How frustrating. I know the PDSA PetAid fund has some huge loopholes - I was unaware for instance, that if your animal is treated for something and then a related problem occurs you have absolutely no coverage. I think that's awful.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2007, 12:31:45 PM »
f it were going to cost that much that wouldn't be a problem, but I think the vet was talking along the lines of £500 - £600. And I also have the added worry of it doing nothing at all for him and having to keep on with the steroids and antibiotics which cost £200 

I have never paid anywhere near £200 for a dental including extractions.  £200 for antibiotics and steroids, are they made with gold dust or something?  I doesn't seem right to me that a cat should be on constant antibiotics.

ccmacey

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
Thats the point Jack I use the PDSA with Ollie and if the op wasnt sucsessful at a private vets I would still have to medicate him which I cannot afford to do for the rest of his life, The PDSA would not accept me back after going to a private vets you see.

Raising the cash if it is cheeper than £500 wouldnt be a problem but I have to think in the long run about the costs of the meds if the op dosnt work.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2007, 12:12:08 PM »
CC, I'm so sorry the vet wasn't more helpful. £500-600 sounds an awful lot for teeth removal. I'd call all the vets in your area and compare prices. (I've had to do this before, and it can be a bit depressing, but worth it if you find somewhere you feel you can trust and won't charge too much.)

It is awful that so many rip off vets with payment plans that people who have every intention of paying don't get the option. :(

ccmacey

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2007, 11:58:33 AM »
If it were going to cost that much that wouldn't be a problem, but I think the vet was talking along the lines of £500 - £600. And I also have the added worry of it doing nothing at all for him and having to keep on with the steroids and antibiotics which cost £200 a month at a private vets which I know I couldn't afford indefinitely.

Thats why I need to know that its going to improve 100%, but there is no why of knowing this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 23:08:46 PM »
A friend of mine was recently quoted £300 for removal, it's not cheap

I suppose it depends on where you live, possibly half that or less round here.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2007, 21:54:15 PM »
I asked the private vets how much roughly would it be and they said it goes on the time it takes and they said it would take longer as his teeth are not falling out or breaking.
A friend of mine was recently quoted £300 for removal, it's not cheap  :'(

The Proot had all his teeth removed (except one fang!) before we knew him and he had no problem at all eating, so am sure Ollie will be fine if he has the op in the future.

Link to CatChat