Author Topic: What is the right quantity of food for young momcat?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: What is the right quantity of food for young momcat?
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »
It takes a while for them to get back to normal after feeding the kittens, but I would be careful of how much you feed her now as you will have to reduce that amount when she starts gaining.
Please spay your cat

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 00:44:05 AM »
I've read its supposed to be 4 times the amount  they would normally eat.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 20:53:35 PM »
No pressure at all required to feel Dinah's ribs MM.  She was wormed mid Jan and spayed a couple of weeks later.  She came via Covcats (Judith fostered her)

Sorry just interrupted by OH as he's in charge of watching kits with play cube.  Millie is going insane with it.  You can put her down anywhere in the room and she just runs as fast as she can for it  :evillaugh:

Anyway, think it may not hurt to feed Dinah up a little for a few weeks but have to be careful over next few days whilst she gets used to trips in back garden as I want her hungry when she goes out so I can more easily get her back.  She's had 2 very short trips out for 1st time today. She really loves it  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 19:49:54 PM »
She could have worms brewing up or may still be in the mindset of hungry stray! Has she been spayed yet? I wouldnt up food as the grams pile on very quickly, she sounds an ideal weight, remember most cats are actually plumper then they should be :evillaugh: you should be able to feel ribs with light pressure

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 18:43:04 PM »
naughty kittens - they're getting away with murder :rofl:

if they still snaffling then let her eat as much as she wants

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 15:10:12 PM »
Thanks for response Lottie. I'll up her grub then. I'm just so wary of her getting as "curvy" as Noni  :-[

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 14:54:42 PM »
Just a quick reply as I'm on my way out but I'd let her eat as much as she wants to. Feeding all her kittens will have taken a lot out of her and she'll need to build herself back up again.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
What is the right quantity of food for young momcat?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 14:38:49 PM »
I'd guess Dinah is about aged 1 year old and the 2 girls still with her aged about 14 weeks.  I'm pretty happy with quantity of food the kittens are eating. They are growing and putting weight on evenly all over. No podgy tums and very active. They only suckle on occasion now.

Dinah however is a different kettle of fish.  She eats quite a bit more than the other grown ups. She is fed with kittens 4 times a day (total food for her of about 2 Felix pouches mixed with Burns dry atm) with additional treats (i.e. allowed to finish the meals off left by the other adults and a little chicken each evening). She isn't putting on any weight, very slim, beautiful silky coat and looks really healthy. She is however constantly hungry.  OH thinks we aren't feeding her enough.  No poo problems, regular as clockwork.   Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 14:40:20 PM by Rosella moggy »

Link to CatChat