Author Topic: Willow's MOT - it's anaemia, CRF and possibly HyperT  (Read 18952 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: Willow's MOT - it's anaemia, CRF and possibly HyperT
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2009, 19:50:53 PM »
sending loads of positive vibes you and Willow way  :hug: :hug: :hug:

love the wardrobe photos  :evillaugh:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 19:46:57 PM »

Just read your post further back - £10 for a prescription! My vet's £6.50. They are allowed to charge something 'reasonable'. I don't think more than a human NHS prescription is "reasonable"  :Crazy:

Their sign also says 1 item per prescription  :tired: - I don't know if they charge for repeats  :Crazy:

Anyway, I was pleased to put them straight about prescription food not needing a prescription  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 19:44:32 PM »
Have to re-order this for Max so thought I'd post it just in case it's of help. Does Willow only like dry food? This one is given in France to all senior cats - the vets are more RC than Hills obviously as RC is french - my 2 loved it and Max is still on it as well as his senior turkey muck. It's about 0.6% phosphorus so nearly double the renal food but still acceptable as well below 1g.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_65_216&products_id=1004

Thanks Kate,

I will order some and see how she goes on it. TBH, Clapton had managed fine on Fortekor and senior food for well over 2 years. I think quality of life plays a big part. Also as she is a picky eater, I can't afford for her to eat any less. I will give it a go but let her eat whatever she wants failing that.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Did the vet have any idea why Willow is anaemic?

She is hoping it is related to the CRF. Also she is hoping the raied T4 is related. She wants to run full tests again in a month before considering any other m.ds  :)

Our morning lecture was cancelled this morning as our lecturers wife was involved in a car crash. Anyway, I went shopping with my friend Sarah. We were in Holland & barrett and by pure chance, she picked something up and said "What's this?" - it was a pill splitter/crusher - I bought one and so I am going to mix it in some hairball paste. As it is palatable, I don't feel bad about it. I'm hoping a can do it without losing any of the powder
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 19:41:55 PM by Mark »

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
Sending lots of  :hug: to you and Willow.

Thought it nice your OH tried to help with giving Willow pills, mine wont. Could be the amount of scratches I've come away with.

I use the suprise brute force method for giving pills and its worked so far, but wearing denim helps.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 09:58:28 AM »
Don't have any advice but just wanted to send lots of  :hug: to you and Willow

Love the photos on top of the wardrobe  :Luv: It baffles me how they get to these places?! I had to get Nina off the top of a 6ft book case the other day  :tired:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
Have to re-order this for Max so thought I'd post it just in case it's of help. Does Willow only like dry food? This one is given in France to all senior cats - the vets are more RC than Hills obviously as RC is french - my 2 loved it and Max is still on it as well as his senior turkey muck. It's about 0.6% phosphorus so nearly double the renal food but still acceptable as well below 1g.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62_65_216&products_id=1004

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I don't think Fortekor is palatable. I suppose if I mashed it into some katalax and rubbed it into her fur, she would clean herself but might be unpleasant for her. Still worth a try and less stressful than trying to pill her - good thinking  :evillaugh:

She is mad a me right now and trying to lick her shaved neck  :(

The vet decided against jabs for now but said to keep an eye on the sneezing after she has been wormed. Annoyingly, before any of this I had planned to ask her to worm Willow anyway but it slipped my mind. The problem is I am at uni for the next 3 days and way behind on my studies.

The vet told us that Fortekor is one of the most palatable tabletsand most cats are fine taking it, I would still mash it in food though, I hate giving my cats meds Mark so I can understand, infact I'll only give them anything if really necessary as I think it's too stressful for them.  Did the vet have any idea why Willow is anaemic?

Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:06 AM »
Mark, there's a tremendous amount on anaemia on Tanya's CRF site. My vet gave Swampy an injection (or I gave it; it's sub Q and easy to do yourself at home) of Laurabolin, an anabolic steroid which helps produce (I may be a bit hazy here!)  red cells that the body no longer does. I think now it's a standard treatment. Plus depending on how high or low her potassium is, the Kaminox liquid (you can get it from vet uK) has caused a very shiny coat and seems to help too as it has amino acids, iron and potassium - it's a supplement for older, CRF cats, not a drug. Not too cheap at about £30 and with a dropper (will Willow allow a dropper? It's an easy one to get into the corner of the mouth).
Anaemia can make them extremely weak and it is mostly treatable. 

What dry CRF food are you trying as the Hills stuff is only munched by a few cats (the renal dry)? However at least Hills or RC will take it back if it's no good, although not via online retailers, you'd have to ask your vet to resell it or send it back for you. If Willow won't eat renal food, Hills do quite a few senior foods (Max won't touch renal but eats the senior) in their Science range and they are cheaper than prescription diet.

Just read your post further back - £10 for a prescription! My vet's £6.50. They are allowed to charge something 'reasonable'. I don't think more than a human NHS prescription is "reasonable"  :Crazy:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 08:50:58 AM »
She can't be that bad if she's climbing on wardrobes Mark  :)

I read the anaemia link and am more relaxed about it with Willow as it probably is CRF linked which will indicate how to treat it. Our problem with Tom was not being able to investigate the cause as investigations involved nasty stuff and he had by that time stopped eating.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 00:49:14 AM »
She tried to jump onto the window ledge in the garden tonight but only made it half way and fell. We were worried until I caught her up on the wardrobe in the basement spare room  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 23:11:09 PM »
I found a few sites that link anaemia with CRF so hoping that it can be sorted. http://www.felinegood.co.uk/treatments/en/anaemia.shtml

We have always said that Willow will outlive all the other cats as she is so healthy  :(

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 23:06:21 PM »
No advice but wanted to send a  :hug: for you, Willow and OH. She is in the best hands and will be well loved through her problems

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 23:04:28 PM »
Thanks Rosella,

The vet said once her kidneys are stabilised, she wants to repeat the tests in a month. She thinks the raised T4 could be a false reading down to the kidney issue. I will write a list of questions ready for when I am there, including the anaemia issue. I'm not sure how anaemia is treated with cats so will have to do some homework. I think she is a bit confused right now. I think she is cold as she has been sleeping under a radiator upstairs. She will be happy when I go to bed  :Luv2:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 22:36:22 PM »
Mark. I'm in two minds about whether to post or not. After a lot of thought, have decided to in case it helps and hope I don't cause any upset :hug:.  

Willow's symptoms sound  a little similar to Toms. The major difference is Tom also had a heart murmur for some years and eventually a very rapid heart rate.  The similarities are sneezing (no coughing or running eyes though), not eating well (little and often worked for a while) although tapping face and purring which we took for hunger, significantly increased thirst altho kidneys OK, anaemia (it was quite bad which we eventually understood must have affected his appetite and he was prescribed Laurobolin), occasional but noticeable ear scratching and head shaking which we thought may indicate balance problem but vet quite sure wasn't, often being sick but, like Willow, that was not uncommon for Tom.

We never did investigate the cause of anaemia as he was approaching 19 and didn't want to cause him discomfort.

We made the mistake of thinking slightly raised T4 was something needing medication and ended up with Tom experiencing raised liver enzymes as a result of unnecessary HyperT meds.

What I learnt from the experience was anaemia was the main issue with Tom. Took me ages to realise how serious anaemia can be.  I suggest you ask your vet more about the anaemia result, mild? or more serious?  Can't remember, how old is Willow?  Is she losing weight (need to weigh her to be sure)

Hope I've done right by mentioning our experience. Primula worked for a while with Tom and ABs BTW but he was always a good lad with his meds.  Best to both of you  :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 22:31:04 PM »
The trouble is I have found that the injection antibiotic (convenia) works less well than the tablets like synulox, but this may not apply to all cats of course.
Yes, my vet told me it isn't so effective, but I had to use it on Metoo because getting ab tabs into him was hit and miss (although he loves the Fortekor!)

Mark, the CRF dry food is mega-expensive, I've just ordered some Hills 2kg and it was over £15 - if you would like me to send you a sample for Willow and/or some of the RC, just let me know. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 21:30:30 PM »
Thanks Kate,

I ground the Milbemax up with some katalax but lucky if she ingested 3/4 of it. I'm hoping it's enough with her being a tiny cat. I am going to leave her be for today as she hates me right now  :(

I will order some lactulose and CRF dry food. The vet annoyed me a bit today as she was really pushing thing on me. She said they could post me some Fortekor and I told her I only got fresh ones today. She then asked about ordering dry CRF food. I told her I will think about it. She asked if I wanted a prescription for it (£10) but I informed her that I don't need one to get low phos foods and that prescription food doesn't actually require a prescription.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 21:15:54 PM »
So sorry, Mark. I hope you find a way to give the Fortekor. I've given lots of different pills and fortekor are the most palatable by miles. I've only had it spat out once. So if Willow won't take that....oops. Vitamin B jabs can help I've found, with appetite too. Has your vet discussed either Laurabolin jabs and/or Kaminox liquid for anaemia? Steroids could be a problem with the upper respiratory thing as they'll lower immunity, but then again, with antibiotics at the same time, they may help to get Willow eating and eating better may make her feel stronger too. The trouble is I have found that the injection antibiotic (convenia) works less well than the tablets like synulox, but this may not apply to all cats of course.  My vet also told me that lactulose (if you can syringe her?) is better for CRF cats than katalax, as helps rid the body of some of the urea toxins and you can give it every day as it's safe.
Good luck with Willow and with your studies.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
I only scan read this thread as too upseting for me at the mo but just wanted to give you all major hugs Mark x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Problem is I don't think you are supposed to give Katalax every day but I could be wrong?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Dragan's was palatable Mark.  He used to love it sadly  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I don't think Fortekor is palatable. I suppose if I mashed it into some katalax and rubbed it into her fur, she would clean herself but might be unpleasant for her. Still worth a try and less stressful than trying to pill her - good thinking  :evillaugh:

She is mad a me right now and trying to lick her shaved neck  :(

The vet decided against jabs for now but said to keep an eye on the sneezing after she has been wormed. Annoyingly, before any of this I had planned to ask her to worm Willow anyway but it slipped my mind. The problem is I am at uni for the next 3 days and way behind on my studies.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 20:10:31 PM by Mark »

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Poor Willow :hug:.
If you mashed the Fortekor into something and rubbed it on a paw do you think she might lick it off?

The anaemia might make her feel less like eating as well, did the vet give her any jabs today?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
She won't eat treats of any description so there is no point trying to hide them in anything. She basically has never had any interest in food. She won't lick cheese. Even with the Good Girl treat, she mostly just rubs her face in them. I forgot to mention earlier but the vet said she is also very anaemic.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Sorry to hear this Mark  :hug: Hope you can find a solution for the tablets (de-furrum treats?)   :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Don't know what to suggest Mark if she doesnt eat treats, cheese and wafer thin ham are the ones the work for mine.  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
have you tried the primula thing?
Mark do try the Primula cheese , Williow might surprise you and take it, its great to hide the tablet in and it comes in different flavours.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
She might surprise you and just eat the Fortekor.  My Dragan (RIP) used to.  Try that way first and I hope she will eat it herself and save all the stress.  That is one thing Charlie is good about, he will let you pill him anytime.  About the only thing he is good at right now  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Big hugs to Willow from me too.  Blip isn't one to take pills either - I have to get our catsitter to come and do her wormers - so I empathise with your dilemma  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Aw give her a cuddle from me, Mark (when you're able). I can imagine the stress and would most like do the same as you in Lexy's case as she's so hard to pill as well and gets so stressed with any type of medicinal care. I even opted to get her antibiotic jabs instead of giving her tabs because of this. I understand its not practical though. I do have the option of a home visit vet though, and it means I don't have to put her in the car and freak her out as well.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Poor Willow. :( Hope you figure out a way to give her the tablets without causing too much stress - have you tried the primula thing?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Sounds like Willow is the same as Max with the CRF and Hyper-T as well, his thyroid count was too high, so he's on Vidalta every other day, and the renal issues are still being done by diet for now.

Does Willow eat any other treats at all?  The Defurrum treats are great for hiding tablets inside as the gooey mixure inside keeps it hidden?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Very similar with Schui. he was diagnosed CRF last summer and was put on Fortekor but the vet said if there were problems getting him taking it not to worry, so I am not too strict about whether he takes it or not tbh.  He was very ill and the vet wanted him in on a drip but in the end we weighed up the odds of how it would stress him, he was given a steroid injection and has been brilliant since. 

Regarding the hyperthyroid typically it presents as large appetite but not always as it affects all parts of the body it can affect digestion too, the worms could be a factor too Mark.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 16:45:40 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Re: I think Willow will be going for an MOT today
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 15:45:58 PM »
Mark, my Martha has been CRF for 2 years now and she's never had Fortekor - my vet doen't seem to prescribe it as standard for this condition.  She had a course of steroids initially which boosted her appetite and I managed to wean her off Sheba onto the Prescription food which of course has helped.  I have also found that because she is hyperthyroid, her appetite is good compared to the non-hyperthyroid, CRF cats I've had, so if Willow does develop this, maybe - in a roundabout way, it might help (I crush her tabs for this in her food, as pilling her would be impossible).

On the other hand, Metoo is on Fortekor for his CRF -the rescue started this, so my vets continued with the medication in this instance, and he will eat it out of your hand!! BUT, he won't touch any prescription food at all, well, only the dried stuff, which isn't good for his urinary tract problems (but that's another story!)

So, I have two cats with the same condition, but on entirely different treatment.  At the end of the day, we do what we can with the individual cat don't we and as my vet reminded me last time, you really can't tell a cat what to do and I guess, that's partly why we love them so much. :Luv:

Try not to worry too much.
 :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 15:37:24 PM »

If all is well Mark you have some spare money for treats to!!!! ;)

We have the money but the only treat Willow will entertain are the tiny "good girl" catnip "choclit buttons"  :Crazy:

She never even eats food put in front of her. She prefers dried up left overs and even then, pick up 2 or 3 chunks with her claw and calls it a meal  :Crazy:

I am worried about the HyperT as she is already underweight.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 15:17:15 PM »
OH was getting upset seeing her upset which made it even harder for me. Although I am a bit more of a  "get it done and dusted" type, I can only do so much. I was supposed to be studying today but so far, nearly all day has been cat stuff. Something has got to give.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 15:19:00 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 15:06:52 PM »
I wasn't going to say anything but as you have brought it up......   when I explained to the vet the trouble I was having with Star, the terror, the foaming at the mouth etc she told me she had two cats herself one of which was very timid and that if the time ever came when she needed daily medication she would not be able to give it to her as it would ruin her quality of life and terrify her - it seems that even professionals face the same dilemmas

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 15:03:41 PM »
We really are going to struggle. OH is working at home today. I decided that getting her to take a Milbemax was top priority but 2 of us couldn't manage. OH thinks she is still stressed from the vet trip and to let her calm down. How I am going to get a Fortekor down her every day for the rest of her life is another story. I will give it my best shot but if we are fighting a losing battle, we will have to discuss her having a shorter but less stressful life.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 15:14:10 PM by Mark »

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 14:10:20 PM »
Poor Willow.
Good luck with the pills!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 14:07:14 PM »
that's horrible for you Mark, I know when Star was given ab's recently I found it really hard to get them into her, she ended up being scared of me which I hated and in the end took her back for two long lasting ab injections even though they weren't really the right spectrum - hope you manage to find a way

Link to CatChat