Author Topic: Spook the evil cat has urinated on my duvet.  (Read 1118 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: Spook the evil cat has urinated on my duvet.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 13:04:20 PM »
She doesnt need to be showing signs of being on heat but her behaviour would indicated that she is scenting for a mate.  They urinate to attract a mate.  If you dont get her spayed you could find that the innapropriate urinating could get a lot worse.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
Hormones have a lot to answer for, please get her spayed asap, with every heat she increases her chance of cancer  :(

If you need help with the cost of spaying theres people out there who are more than happy to sort this out  ;D

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 23:07:46 PM »
yup - my Jessie stood and watched me lay out my nightie on the bed before going up and weeing on it when I was watching; took her to the vet's and it was cystitis!  Seemed to be always taking various duvets to the dry cleaners, am sure he thought we were incontinent :tired:

suggest a vet visit, also - if stress related - felliway spray is good for calming down stressed kitties plus more games/attention and a few hidey holes she can creep away into if she needs some "space".  I would also suggest getting her spayed sooner rather than later.

good luck  :hug:

Offline andyturner

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 21:46:29 PM »
Hi Mallory,

as suggested below it may be a physical problem so see a vet.

That said, it may also be psychological. I found this post "http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4916.0.html", it may/not be useful but its an interesting read!

best regards & good luck,
Andy

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 21:26:27 PM »
I'd have to agree, maybe a vet check in the first instance to check there's not something wrong  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 21:19:16 PM »
I agree with Helen ... she may have a touch of cystitis.  Cats only ever wee on duvets as a way of "getting your attention" it's their way of telling you something is wrong.

I would suggest a quick trip to Mr Vet just for a check up.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 21:15:07 PM »
Oh dear, not nice - especially as you were under it at the time  :sick:  The first thing I'd do is get her checked at the vets, inappropriate urination can often be a sign of cystitis / urine infection.

My cat Tiggy had never once had an accident but one day she weed smack bang in the middle of a rug, she was behaving perfectly normal apart from this and I wouldn't have known anything was wrong, took her to the emergency vet and it turned out she had cystistis.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 21:34:14 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline mallory

• Adult Cat
Spook the evil cat has urinated on my duvet.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 21:02:02 PM »
Spook, the rotten little madam, urinated on my duvet this morning - while I was under it! Gross!  :sick: She's 9 months old, and this is the third time she's done it - the last time was about 6 weeks ago. 

Does anyone have any experience with this behaviour? What causes it, and how do I stop her from doing it again?

On all three occasions, it was morning, and I was in the bed and half-asleep. I'm used to her walking round on top of me, so I didn't notice until she started scraping the duvet in a telling way. Her litter box was in it's normal location, and clean condition, and she is not on heat, though she is not yet spayed.  She never does her business anywhere else except in the litter-tray.

I can't evict her from the bedroom - we live in a studio flat, and the only door I can close is the bathroom. It would be too cruel to shut her in there overnight, especially as she is used to sleeping with me, and becomes upset if she's left alone all the time (I'm disabled, so she's not used to being home alone for more than a few hours at a time).   Generally, she wakes up before me, and sits quietly beside my pillow until I'm up, or snuggles up for morning cuddles.

Urinating on the bed is an unbearable behaviour.  I have no clue how to prevent her from doing it again, but because I'm disabled and sometimes bedbound, it is potentially a major issue.

I've thrown out the duvet and cover, and replaced them, as I couldn't face the thought of washing them again, which for me is an all-day task.

I love Spook, despite her foibles, but sometimes she drives me nuts! Any advice would be appreciated.

Link to CatChat