Author Topic: Ear mites.  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Ear mites.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 19:25:54 PM »
You could get a spot on from your vet called advocate, that gives 4 weeks treatment. Ear mites live a cycle over i *think* 4 weeks which is why treatment is extended as you have to wait for the immature eggs to develop into adult mites which the drops will kill.

Damp cotton wool (warm water) is fine for cleaning his ears, dont be tempted to use cotton buds as they can cause alot of damage

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
I used an "ear cleaner" (not the drops for Ear Mites) that I got from Pets at Home and damp cotton pads - it smells quite strong so I never used it neat. I dampened the cotton pad with tepid wated and dropped a small amout of the cleanser on the pad and then gently wiped all around the ear area then wiped dry.  I was lucky becasue non of my other cats caught them
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:27:11 AM »
Thank you for the replies. I have medication to put into his ears but what do I use to wipe them clean everyday? Just damp cotton wool or, should I use something stronger and if so, what??

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »
Teeko had ear mites and we used stronghold as well as some drops - I cleaned his ears every day to get rid of the "muck" - never put anything down the ear though.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
I don't know the answers to your questions but Charlie was overrun with them when he turned up here as a stray and the vet put Stronghold on him and it got rid of the mites but he has had constant ear problems for the last 8 months on and off.  Best of luck

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Ear mites.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 05:47:37 AM »
I have a 6 month old male kitten, he was a stray and he's been with me for less than a week. During that time he's been kept apart from my other 2 boys. Yesterday he went to the vet for a checkup and his first vaccines and he's in great shape except for ear mites. The vet gavestuff to put in his ears to treat them and I know that they are very contagious to other cats . Other than the medication, is there anything else that I can do to help get rid of them? I have no experience of this so your advice is really welcome. I was thinking that I should clean out the debris daily but if so, is there anything special I should use for this? How long do you think I should leave it to begin to allow the other 2 direct contact with the new guy?  :thanks:

Link to CatChat