Author Topic: Boosters  (Read 16516 times)

Offline meaghers

• Kitten
Re: Boosters
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
Yep the card will tell you what your cats had (or it should!)  I have no problem with the other vaccines its just this new 5 in 1 Fevaxyn Pentofel that seems to be the problem :(

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »
I am going to be naive here and I didn't even realise there were different manufacturers, which in hindsight is a bit stupid really.

As I said before ours are vaccinated against everything but I don't know who the manufacturer is I guess looking on the card will tell me??

Offline meaghers

• Kitten
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2008, 10:00:09 AM »
It is of course right to have your cats vaccinated especially if they go to a cattery or outside.  I have always had mine done but will never use this Fevaxyn Pentofel again since all four were so ill and the youngest nearly died.  That is not just a coincidence.  Oddly my dog now has developed a nasty skin allergy/rash on his leg since being vaccinated and I have to take him back today again!  So far the cost is £250 plus £160 for the emergency treatment for the kitten that nearly died, now more cost. Someone is making money out of misery.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
Desley, do you mean boost only in the year after the initial vacc's, and not after that?

I've never boostered S and P, and they haven't had Felv vaccine, though this was only because the rescue they came from just did enteritis and flu.Also I thought that, considering their histories (a stray and a 6 year old feral), they would have been in contact with the virus and either be immune or viraemic, so the vaccine would be pointless.

I would always Felv vaccinate a young cat, like Fred and Vic. Though I don't intend to give them boosters. I have a sneaky suspicion that frequent boosters increase the incidence of feline cancers. Though this is purely an opinion and has no empirical evidence behind it.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
HK, the only thing I would suggest doing different is initial courses and one booster, mine only get boosters yearly due to fostering, if I didn't foster, that is what I would do, I think they need that one booster, but I dont see why vacc's dont last yearly like they do in humans.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 09:26:07 AM »
No leukaemia vaccine here either.  As my boys don't go outside, I dont' think they need it.

I think you are quite right. We have cats that are to be homed as indoor only cats injected for cat flu (and all the other things that covers ) and enteritis only. We don have indoor/outdoor cats injected against FeLV as we feel the risk of a potentially fatal disease is much higher in an unvaccinated or improperly vaccinated cat.

Also as I have posted a number of times in respect of the FeLV injection, since it has become popular we hear of so few FeLV cats, Up to about 6 years ago we heard of some every week and   during the last 6 years I hear of not nearly so many and have not one domestic cat we have bought in has been tested FeLV+. The only FeLV cats we have taken in had been feral, very ill and also FIV+.

I think we all have different view on this topic and all do what we think is best with the informed information we have.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 22:19:11 PM »
Good vets are like gold dust and thats why I travel 20 miles each way to one.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 22:08:52 PM »
No leukaemia vaccine here either.  As my boys don't go outside, I dont' think they need it.  they have both had it on occasion before without any adverse effect (i don't know what brand though).  Mosi had it as part of his initial vaccinations (when he was with his breeder) but did not have it when it came to booster time.  Jaffa only had it one year when the vet was out of the vaccine he usually had so gave him the 4 in 1 inc leukaemia instead.  He was fine with it, but now I would not allow him to have that.  The potential risk is too great given the negligible chance of his catching feline leukaemia.

As to frequency, I agree that cats are over vaccinated but I still have mine done yearly because they go to a cattery so need to be up to date.  Although having said that, Mosi missed his booster this year as I kept putting it off due to no car, and then it got to the point where I knew he'd need to start over.  So I still haven't had him done, but I will get it done soon.  I'm not worried about his not having it since he's had his initial ones and then a booster.  Jaffa is due about now and he will be having his booster.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 21:08:41 PM »
Lottie I to took a long time to find a vet I liked and now they order the Program and Millibex wormers for us by the box as they now know what we like and what works for us and our kids

Glad you have a good vet Lottie they are like gold dust!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 17:34:58 PM »
Yes I fully agree with that Gill.

When I first moved out here I went to look at various other vets that are much closer to our new house than the vets I use and all of them told me that I would have to use the vaccines they use and when I said I wasn't happy with that and would they allow me to purchase a box of Pentofel for them to administer to mine I was told no!
Seems a lot of vets don't realise that they are our animals and we should be allowed to make decisions about what vaccinations /brand of vaccine they do or don't have. Needless to say I have continued going to my old vets!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 17:23:59 PM »
I am not disagreeing with you Lottie cos we know that not all cats react but just that owners should be given a choice as to what their cats are vaccinated for and that this particular brand of jab seems to be causing a lot of probs with many cats.

What owners then choose is totally up to them but at least they then can make an informed choice.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 17:18:00 PM »
I'll have to agree to disagree over this jab as I find it reassuring with this vaccine that Boopy's kittens were all fine with it despite having a slightly tough start with being born premature, all my other cats have it and have been fine, my friends 14 cats all have it and have never had a problem and she's never had a problem with any of her kittens over the years who have all been given it.

Bilbo's first booster wasn't Pentofel but was just what the vet usually used (one of the flu, enteritis and leukaemia ones) and he was very sleepy and off his food for 24-36 hours after. He's had Pentofel both years since and none of mine even go slightly sleepy after.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 16:31:20 PM »
If you dont have FeLv then yours wont be given this particular vaccine which is causing all the probs, so thats why they are OK.  ;D

I agree with what was said about the drug companies and whoever manufactors this vaccine has done a great PR job and probably discounts on vets all over the country it seems.

Cos I am in Wales and others are different parts of the country.

I think it is every owners right to be told what there cats are being given BEFORE its given, trouble is its only on forums like this that we chat and find out about things like this. More power to our elbow I say and more knowledge shared the better.

Then we can each make informed decisions for our cats. Have to say when I told my vet that I would not let Misa have this vaccine any more it caused him some worry and we had a very long discussion about it but despite the pressure he put on in the nicest way, I still insisted that FeLv would not be part of the booster, which he accepted in the end.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 15:26:58 PM »
Ours get the lot except FELv and range in age from 17.5 years to 4 months old so we have a broad age and health spectrum from Corona carriers, diabetes, no tail, 3 legs, cardiomyopathy and more so kinda have faith in our vets to

We also have 43 cats living with us and a newer colony of dumpees numbering about 12.

Offline meaghers

• Kitten
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 14:59:18 PM »
Thats great but you may want to check exactly what your boosters are, as mentioned I have had no problems either over the last 40 years until this week when we were given Fevaxyn Pentofel - as a result all four cats have been ill, all three are still not well, 48 hours later, and the youngest nearly died.  I find the fact that all four were so ill, and the number of others who have had a similar experience very worrying.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 14:39:07 PM »
We have a multi househiold and all are injected for the lot every 12 months apart from the nasty feral Ace who we have yet to get in to a crush cage but he is wormed and Profendered at three month intervals, all the kittens have thier shots within the required time frame as well.

We have had no issues with this and yes it is expensive but we follow vets advice on this due to our numbers and the fact we have indoor only(our choice) and tghe inside/outside crew.

All are also ID Chipped and done exceptions being Beijing and Archie as they are still babies but both have had their first Program shhot and neither was up nor down.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 13:42:50 PM »
Chlamydia and FeLV vaccines are known for having highest rates of reaction so to put both in at once is asking for trouble imo.

Having researched awhile back the safest vaccine brand is PureVax and they actually reccomend 3 yearly boosters for the enteritis part.  ;D

In a normal pet household i dont see the need for chlamydia, even more so if these cats are peds who are indoor only  :Crazy:

Offline meaghers

• Kitten
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
I think we are in agreement.  To an extent cats are overvaccinated (so not shooting you down in flames Hippykitty I understand your reasoning although dont agree entirely) and often we are not told about changes in vaccines being offered by surgeries.  Sometimes this is because the clinics get a discount by using certain drug companies (fact) which increases their profits as you can be sure the discount is not passed onto customers in most cases.  I believe there is clear evidence that this new vaccination FEVAXYN PENTOFEL is dangerous, the ones we had previous for cat flu and enteritis were fine and we never had a reaction.  This 5 in 1 jab has a much higher incidence of side effects and nasty reactions which were both distressing to cats and owners.  Vets should ensure they give their customers a choice and ensure they are aware of the possible side effects/consequences.

Two days on my kitten is recovering, but my 2 yr old ginger Jerry is still very depressed - sitting hunched up and not eating.  My other two are recovering but are still not sparky as they were.  Oddly the eldest who is 13 is doing better than the younger ones.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
Please don't shoot me down in flames; I'm aware that what I'm about to say is controversial. I have my cats initially vaccinated, but not boostered. Sam and Polly were only given flu and enteritis vaccinations by the rescue from which I had them; I've had Fred and Vic given flu, enteritis and Felv vaccines, but, like P and S, they won't be boostered.

I've come to the conclusion that, provided a cat goes out, it will probably meet a cat who is infected, thereby naturally boostering their immunity. Even if this doesn't occur, I believe that the annual boostering weakens a cat's immune system. I base this purely on experience. Before Polly and Sam, every cat I had was regularly boostered but died young. P and S have (touch wood) lived to a grand old age.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend others do this, but just that the issue is given some thought before automatically giving annual jabs. For anyone new to cat care: don't do as I do, become experienced first. Take the advice of your vet.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 01:34:11 AM »
i wou;d like to do that too but the vet would make me start the course again and says that they checked with the drug company and only had a few weeks to do the booster in without starting agin.

I dont believe this but there is nothing I can do about it!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 23:44:10 PM »

I've never had my cats vaccinated agains FelV and never will. The only vacs they ever get regularly (and by regularly that doesnt mean annually) are cat flu and panleu (enteritis).

I am totally the same with my lot....no FeLV here either
and although they have the flu + enteritis i leave at least a 14/15mth gap

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 23:14:36 PM »
i have insisted on same as gillian now for all of mine afrer misa had a bad reaction to the one being mentioned on hear. hw was the only one that they considered young enough to have it cos unless requested they dont give it to cats over 8 yrs cos they should be sufficiently immune by then.
soory for typos one handed lol

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 22:57:48 PM »
You can request which vaccinations you want for your animal, it is up to you, after all it is your animal. Vet can advise, you decide. You do not have to be bulldozed into having all those vacs at once even if you do decide to have them - you can request them done as separate vacs at intervals if you want. If there are vacs you do not want, you do NOT have to have them.

I've never had my cats vaccinated agains FelV and never will. The only vacs they ever get regularly (and by regularly that doesnt mean annually) are cat flu and panleu (enteritis).

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 22:50:15 PM »
No choice on vaccinations unless you request it I suppose.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 21:10:40 PM »
Do vets not normally give you a choice on vaccinations? My lot only get the Pentofel as I request it specifically as the usual vaccination they do is either flu and enteritis or the flu, enteritis and leukaemia one.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 21:02:20 PM »
I think that is waay too many in one go, and no wonder the poor cats are being poorly with it, I agree that we should get a choice on what is used, I know that vets want them to be covered against as much as possible, but it does seem like this one is higher risk than others.
Please spay your cat

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 18:32:48 PM »
Hello Sarah (Meagers)   :welcome:  to Purrs  -  pleased to have you on board

I was about to post a link but I notice that Helen has already done that.

My Homer was really poorly after having Fevaxyn Pentofel, he had the injection on Friday and we thought we were going to lose him over the weekend.  By the time I took him back to the Vet he was completely lifeless and had a high temperature.  The injection covers feline panleucopaenia (infectious enteritis), feline chlamydiosis (chlam), feline viral rhinotracheitis, feline calcivirus, feline leukaemia virus (FeLV), however, none of mine will be having it again.

And that is my choice.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline meaghers

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 15:53:20 PM »
Thats my view.  There is clear evidence that putting too many vaccines together in one dose can cause adverse reactions and suffering.  In this case its really not cheaper - I was charged £44 per dose and then had to pay the emergency treatment of £157! 

Its somewhat concerning that we are not being generally given the option to choose the drugs for our animals nor warned what the side affects are.  I am not mud slinging or aiming to appoint blame, just want to ensure owners are well informed of the risks of new drugs on their much loved pets. 

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 15:36:34 PM »
It covers Calicivirus, Herpesvirus, Pancleucopenia, Leukaemia and Chlamydia.

So pretty much an overdose of vac's being used at the same time ?

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 15:19:11 PM »
It covers Calicivirus, Herpesvirus, Pancleucopenia, Leukaemia and Chlamydia.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 15:14:16 PM »
Yes

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Vaccinations
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 15:12:35 PM »
I have just had all my 3 adult cats and 12 wk old kitten vaccinated.  The older ones had a booster and the kitten his first.  30 mins to an hour later the kitten Louis, became extremely ill.  He was weak and crying and wailing continuously and clearly in a lot of pain.  We rushed him to an emergency vet by which time he could hardly walk and had a high temperature, his back legs seemed paralysed.  He was given an antiinflammatory and antihistamine injections.  He couldnt get up during the night and so made a few puddles.  This morning my 3 other cats are very unwell and wont eat.  I understand that they were all given Fevaxyn - a relatively new vaccination, and judging from reports I have found on the internet it has a much higher frequency of and much more serious level of side effects.  I am extremely concerned that owners are not being given the choice of the use of this vaccine which also appears to be more expensive than the previous vaccine given.  I have had cats (and dog) for 40 years and have never had reactions like these before.  I would highly recommend others avoid this drug if possible.  Apart from the cost of emergency treatment the vaccine is expensive and caused severe distress certainly in our case.  Our dog was also vaccinated and he is fine so it was clearly a reaction to this drug.  I joined this site so I could warn other owners.

Does that vac include the FeLV ?

Offline meaghers

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »
Thanks for that but ALL my cats have had a reaction and only two are related so its not genetic.  Also all my others who lived to 16 and 22 never had a reaction like this.  Having previously trained as a veterinary nurse albeit many years ago I believe the incidence of reaction with this drug is much higher than those used previously.  I believe all owners should be given the option.  Having had all my cats vaccinated for 40 years I have never had every one of them react like this.  There is no smoke without fire.  Everyone should have a choice - including parents about the MMR.  My own son had a very adverse reaction to that too, fortunately he recovered.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 12:49:01 PM »
I have just had all my 3 adult cats and 12 wk old kitten vaccinated.  The older ones had a booster and the kitten his first.  30 mins to an hour later the kitten Louis, became extremely ill.  He was weak and crying and wailing continuously and clearly in a lot of pain.  We rushed him to an emergency vet by which time he could hardly walk and had a high temperature, his back legs seemed paralysed.  He was given an antiinflammatory and antihistamine injections.  He couldnt get up during the night and so made a few puddles.  This morning my 3 other cats are very unwell and wont eat.  I understand that they were all given Fevaxyn - a relatively new vaccination, and judging from reports I have found on the internet it has a much higher frequency of and much more serious level of side effects.  I am extremely concerned that owners are not being given the choice of the use of this vaccine which also appears to be more expensive than the previous vaccine given.  I have had cats (and dog) for 40 years and have never had reactions like these before.  I would highly recommend others avoid this drug if possible.  Apart from the cost of emergency treatment the vaccine is expensive and caused severe distress certainly in our case.  Our dog was also vaccinated and he is fine so it was clearly a reaction to this drug.  I joined this site so I could warn other owners.

Sorry to hear that your kitten had a bad reaction and I hope they are recovered now.

I vaccinate my cats and kittens with the Fevaxyn Pentofyl vaccination and have not had anyone have a reaction with it and Pinball's breeder has used it for years with all of her cats and kittens (and that's quite a big number!) and has never had a bad reaction either so it is not an automatic thing that if you use this vaccine your cat will have a reaction but more a case of how the individual cat/kitten reacts. 

It is exactly the same with human vaccines, some people may have a bad reaction to the brand of MMR jab that is commonly used for example but the vast majority won't and you wouldn't go around telling everyone never to have a MMR jab if it was that brand would you!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 12:43:13 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Meaghers

Sorry to hear your kitten reacted so badly, is he/she fully recovered now?  Hope so  :hug:

Another member on here had a similar experience - http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,6283.0.html

Offline meaghers

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »
Well I got the lot done, no point in stopping now.

It cost me £52.80, this is with everything. The vet I see only charges me the medication charge, no consult fee or despensing charge  :briggin:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 22:01:50 PM »
You have to make the decision and then idf that was what you decide, you just tell the vet that you dont want the leukemai part.

My vets charge about £30 per cat I think.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 21:38:49 PM »
Its going to cost about £55 for boosters and I also have Ollie's consult, which will be about £35 with his meds.

How do I make the choice not to have it?  :-: My cats only get to go as far as the garden, except for Harry and Ted also escapes on occassion. Ted is also a bruser and will fight. How is the Luekemia caught?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_leukemia_virus

I really cant help influence your decision hun ....I would hate for you to follow me and then one of your cats catch it  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 16:15:29 PM »
I don't know to be honest, but I know because Jess was vaccinated against it Milo had to be.

I've just checked my vets website and there cost is:
Cat Booster (Flu, Enteritis, Leukaemia):  £26.50

Link to CatChat