Author Topic: Urgent help needed with behaviour advice  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: Urgent help needed with behaviour advice
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 20:35:08 PM »
The introduction was quite a long time and they have read lots on introductions plus they have done it successfully many a time so I think they just don't like each other. Ebony is more hissy towards him than vice versa so I think he's pretty scared of her. To be honest, I think they just don't like each other but I'm hoping that they will be able to tolerate each other in time.
In terms of Dad, we really have no idea. He has been nothing but pampering towards her and she was loving it. I even checked if he had tripped over her or anything and there's nothng but I'm hoping the feliway may help settle her down.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 19:29:47 PM »
I dont know how long was taken with the introductions but its either not been long enough or these two cats just dont like each other, which is very sad.

Some cats are only suitable to be the only cat in a house and Max sees Ebony as an intruder on his space and his people.

Dont know why Ebony has suddenly turned nasty to your Dad but did he accidently do something that might of scared her?

Sorry not much help here and do not know about the health issues.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 17:57:18 PM »
She wasn't my cat, she was one from my rescue (I volunteer for Cats Protection) and I had been going along each day to give her some fuss in the cattery. We don't really know much about her toiletting habits as she was bereaved when her owner passed away which is why she came into our care. I'm hoping the Feliway will help too!

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 15:34:36 PM »
Oh my, there certainly seems to be a lot of issues going on with Ebony and Max.  I wonder if both are just unhappy with having each other presence?  It's only been a few weeks, right?  I would say that it is still to early to give up hope.  I've read that some times it can take up to 6 months for cats to accept each other.  Did Ebony have all these toileting issues when she lived with you?  I really don't have any advice to give as I am new to owning cats for just under a year now myself, but just as an animal lover I would have to guess that all this bad behavior has been triggered by Ebony's new environment and I'm sure that Max is not sending out any good welcoming vibes to her.  Lets hope that the Feliway does the trick.  Maybe your mom should buy two Feliway diffusers, one for each end of the bungalow, that way there would be plenty of soothing pheromones being distributed for both cats.

Good luck :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
Urgent help needed with behaviour advice
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 20:21:14 PM »
Well I am at a bit of a loss with what to say to mum so wanted some advice.
Basically my parents took in one of our rescue cats a few weeks ago. She's a lovely old lady of 17 and mum and dad took pity on her and decided to give her a home even though they weren't planning to get another cat. They already had Max who is about 14 and generally a bit timid of other cats.
When they brought new cat home, they did all the usual introduction things (swapping smells, keeping them apart and then short introductions) but the cats still do not like each other at all and hiss at each other whenever their paths cross (which isn't more than once a day as they each have their own end of the bungalo). New cat Ebony settled in very well though and has seemed very relaxed for the last few weeks but Max has seemed quite stressed as he knows she's there, even when he can't see her.
The problem is, although M&D are experienced cat owners so will work through the cat's differences, there are other problems.
Ebony has some toiletting issues. She will use a litter tray but only once and then she won't go near it again. In the daytime they can clear it and she has 4 trays so it's not too much of an issue but at nightime she is pooing on the floor several times. She has a thyroid problem so poos a lot (about 8 times a day!) plus the weeing. Her thyroid issue is being monitored and they have got the dosage right but she is still pooing a lot but it is less than to start with. She has also poo'd in her bed a couple of times but they have now removed her bed and she has a blanket instead which seems to have solved that issue.
It also turns out that Max is not eating that much and after a full health check the vet thinks (along with M&D) that it's because he is frightened and stressed by new cat. He was bullied by the cat he grew up with and although he missed the companionship when he passed away, he has been a lot more confident since. We were all hoping though that they would be ok though as both cats are (or appeared to be) quite relaxed.
The other issue is that when Ebony first moved in she was very keen on my dad, who is disabled so is at ome in the day and spent her first few weeks on his lap. The last couple of weeks though she has switched to my mum and the last few days she has been quite agressive towards dad for no apparant reason. My mum works in a school so is not at home in the day now and EBony has been hissing at Dad and being very strange and noone can work out why. Mum's going to buy some Feliway tomorrow in the hope that it will help but she called me in tears earlier and doesn't know what to do. She would never want to give up on an animal and they really care about Ebony but are at a loss as to what's to do.
Any advice on how to make things easier would be so appreciated as they really don't want to have to rehome her but things can't go on the way they are.

Link to CatChat