Author Topic: Bunglys got cystitis again tonight !  (Read 11578 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Bunglys got cystitis again tonight !
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 20:56:08 PM »
Oops, sorry!!
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 20:54:32 PM »
Yes i know from when Smartie had it - Bungly is a girl though - despite the name ! ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 20:46:42 PM »
Fingers crossed - I would have a chat with your vet as to whether he will give you some Metacam for just in case. Just bear in mind that cystitis issues are a lot worse in males.
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 20:38:54 PM »
ok thanks- i will get a small bag to try - WHEN i have some spare money !!
Also thinking of keping  few things in too -just in case it starts after the vets are closed for the night or on a week-end ( what usually happens as well !!)
What do you advise me to get - metacam - does that need a prescription ?
What about the paste stuff that vetuk sell ?
Also will get and try some of the cranberry treats from there.

The injection doesn''t seem to have kicked in properly yet as she is still in and out the litter tray - but she didn''t have it till around 3pm - and then start tablets tomorrow.

Smartie seems to be ok - heart rate ok and normal - so fortekor must be working - vet said the rest is in the lap of the gods !!!
Maybe he just objected to being brought inside when he was happily asleep outside-didn''t half give me a scare -he was just floppy on the floor and then when i shouted his name - he just looked at me and sat up ?????

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 18:45:58 PM »
All my other cats are on RC Urinary as well and my vet said it was fine and they all love it.    Honestly hun if I ever give Sylvester even a feww days worth of something else it affects him - I have to be so strict with him its crazy and it hits him fast.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 18:35:34 PM »
My Freddy suffers with this (is having a bout of it at the moment)

We have tried antibiotics, steroids, calming tablets and the only thing that works for him is METACAM.

Have you tried RC urinary dry food rather than Hills ??
I personally find it better than Hills (They also do wet urinary food too)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 17:24:08 PM »
Yes Smartie  is supposed to be on C/D and he has been fine - but i have mixed R.C for persians in with it for a treat and the others have been having a fair bit of that too as its their fav. but i am sure thats whats causing it !!!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 17:19:49 PM »
My Sylvester suffers terribley but since being on a very strict RC Urinary diet he hasn't had any problems (touch wood) for ages, and he was having major recurrent bouts!   Could you not ask your vet about a strict diet? 

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 17:14:51 PM »
Hi,
Bungly has ben to the vets - had 2 injections and a course of antibiotics and have to get a urine sample when she has finished them -sometime next week.
Just when i had her in the basket , i went to get Smartie in as he was asleep outside- i brought him in and put him down on the floor where he just flopped very alarmingly as if his legs wouldn''t hold him up  :scared: :scared:
I dont know if it was because he was so sleepy or other problem regarding his heart condition - i had a word with the vet who said his long term prognosis isn''t good :'( :'(, which really upset me as i sort of guessed he wouldn''t get to old age (11years now) , but its worse when you actually are told that.
Anyway, i am now taking him later to check to see if there is anything going on !

Then about 5-6am Winston was sick and he is hardly ever sick !
Just to top it up -all the stress this week has really upset my ulcerative colitis and i have been really ill all morning myself and none of the tablets are helping anymore - so got to find time to ring the doctor !

What a bloody week - let alone today !!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 17:22:16 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 13:19:27 PM »
Dry food is a common culprit along with stress, only 2% caused by bacteria  :shocked:

Would reccomend getting a urine sample tested or the vet may have sorted that this morning, hope you got on ok?

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 00:20:26 AM »
Bungly has Whiskers supermeat (tin) and some felix in jelly -(pouches)
I buy the whiskers supermeat as its the only wet food Smartie will eat  and i have tried him on everything over the years ! He wont eat fish, chicken and only very occasionally will he eat a couple of very small bits of ham  and definately no other cat food.
Luckily Sophie and Bungly like the whiskers and felix .
Winston eats mainly Felix and only has biscuits at bedtime when i take a bowl upstairs and he has a few in the night - touch wood he has never had cystitis !

The main dry food has been only  Hills c/d - this has only happened since i mixed it with the Royal canin persian for a treat !!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 23:03:42 PM »
I wouldnt 'free feed' i.e. leaving biscuits down, I would stick to the wet food mealtimes and no food in between, especially not dry, free feeding has been implicated in cystitis problems. What wet food does she have? does it contain cereals or grains of any sort? if so, that might be an issue - persians are particularly sensitive to the carbs in both wet and dry foods, so trying her on a high meat content wet food would be worth a go.

Has she had a wee sample analyzed? most cases of cystitis arent caused by bacteria, antibotics are only needed if infection is present, although most vets will give antibiotics anyway (just in case!)

Hope she feels better soon.  I know what you mean about the vet bills - I still owe a lot - and its rising again!! :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 23:00:31 PM »
Thankyou for that link -will have a look later .
Funds are non existant at the moment - i have just got to go offline for a bit to ring my brother to borrow £30 !

Don''t think he will be very happy as i already owe him £270 !!!
Cant pay that back for a while either - not having a good day today !!
Getting really worried about money at the moment - every day seems to get worse and the last thing you need is another vet bill !
Still - she will go tomorrow and i will worry again afterwards about paying my brother back -good job i have him -but as he says " i am not a  bank "! ( he is actually nearly a pensioner !- so i feel a bit embarrassed borrowing from him !!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 22:50:38 PM »
Ahhh poor bungly ... have you had a look at some of the things available at VET UK  that might help her.  Obviously another visit to Mr Vet is a must but some of things products may help if it's a recurring problem.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7&page=1&sort=4a
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
Bunglys got cystitis again tonight !
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 22:42:03 PM »
Got to get up and take her to the vet in the morning - its only a few weeks ago she had this and had antibiotics !
She has been eating her usual amount of dried food ( but it seems to be because i have mixed it with the royal canin for persians as the "usual" is Hills c/d and its really for Smartie - but i cant feed the others seperate biscuits as they are down all day , so i have been mixing it with this for a treat as they really like it - Smartie hasn''t had cystitis for a few years -touch wood !)- but bungly -twice now in less than 8 weeks !!

She does eat a fair ammount of wet food as well .

Could she have needed a longer course of antibitics - think she had them for 5 or 7 days last time and an injection !?

Link to CatChat