Author Topic: Advice needed for my neighbour please.....  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
Re: Advice needed for my neighbour please.....
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 17:01:31 PM »
Thanks christine, he is using a walking frame at the mo as he also suffered a stroke 2 years ago & is losing the strength in his legs..i'll pass on any advice & hopefully something good will happen
It might be worth your neighbour putting something outside of his that has his scent on it, maybe a shirt that he wore before he went into hospital perhaps, i will get him to do this, maybe next to where his food dish i perhaps. :thanks: Dawn..
[/quote]

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 16:54:42 PM »
It might be worth your neighbour putting something outside of his that has his scent on it, maybe a shirt that he wore before he went into hospital perhaps  :shy:  Also, I would coax him with favourite treats, not actually stroking him if he isn't keen but reaquainting himself with him slowly.  Hopefully his cat will realise that he's still his dad and he's there to stay, good luck and I hope he manages to coax him inside again  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 15:58:04 PM »
Sound advice.  I will add my good wishes for your neighbour: my late father had Parkinsons and it is an unpleasant and frustrating condition.  Dad found that using a stick, even though he didnt ever need one, was helpful as it gave him something to grip and stopped the horrible tremors.  I pass this on in case it is of use...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 15:32:28 PM »
hi BC..hes been home only for maybe 3 days..i know it isn't that long but as we all know 3 days without your cat near you would feel like a long time..thank you for your advice & thoughts on the subject..i hadn't thought about the differant smell & of course the mobility aids that he has now..i'm not sure if hes able to stand the warm weather at the mo but i will pass on your advice & take it from there.. :thanks:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 15:24:49 PM »
how long has your neighbour been back home? A spell in hospital can change your smell as can medication. This may be what is putting kitty off. Also, if your neigbour now have various mobility aides, that too will scare off a timid kitty. Perhaps if the neighbour gets a chair set up by the back door and just sits in the sun for a while every day and kitty can then approach him without feeling trapped as it might indoors. If he neighbour just quietly reads a book and does not look directly at kitty when she approaches she will come back to him in her own time.

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
Advice needed for my neighbour please.....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 15:16:23 PM »
Hey there all...hope you can help my neighbour....
ok this is his story...hes got a 14 yr old male tabby who & they were inseparable until my neighbour had to go into hospital, where he was diagnosed with parkinsons disease..Tinker( his cat) refuses to go into the house now & will not let my neighbour go anywhere near him, hes such a loving cat & will go to anyone other than him..my neighbour is still feeding him outside & Tinker is eating really well..i've managed to get Tinker to eat on the doorstep but he wont go any further than that..i'd love to be able to get him into the house again as my neighbour is getting himself really worked up & so upset about it..i've said that maybe tinker can sense that my neighbour is unwell & maybe worried that he'll leave him again...i dunno what else to do... :(

Link to CatChat